Sudbury Wolves 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Good for the new coach for his statement on the situation.

If Musty wants to act like he's the top dog and refuses to step on the ice for the Wolves, that’s on him. The team has no obligation to trade him just because he’s decided he wants out.

His refusal to play isn’t exactly helping his reputation—if anything, it’s only making those character concerns more obvious. If he really wants what’s best for his future, proving he can rise above a rough situation would do more for his career than sitting out and throwing a fit.

He’s got talent, no doubt, but I think he’s missing the discipline needed to truly reach that next level.

Take a tough stand with agent and NHL team; then draft the agents clients in the spring and ask the sharks to send imports. Great idea

Reactions: djscooter

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I very much doubt the sharks sent Musty back to the OHL because of the wolves coaching staff. I don’t think the current coaching staff is an issue for the sharks; and I have no doubt the sharks would have no issue with Butler, Hunter, Williamson…

This is a case of the Sharks saying they were happy with what the development plan from the wolves for Musty was this year. San Jose sent him back and had conversations with the Wolves hockey staff about what they would like to see in Musty's development and they were on the same page as the concerns were the same things that were communicated to Musty at Wolves training camp. San Jose has a connection to the Wolves staff with Desjardins so they were quite happy to send him back to the Wolves as opposed to them telling the Wolves to trade their asset somewhere else. This is Musty and his camp disagreeing about how to handle his development/on ice discipline. This does not make Musty look good and might actually decrease his trade value

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Every player has a right to do what they wish, I really don't feel sad this kid wants to be moved, at same time the organization doesn't have to rush to make a move to appease him.

The Barlow deal was already done prior to him going to the Winnipeg camp, it just had to get inked once he returned to the OHL.

I think Musty took the Wolves off guard a bit showing up to camp, but to me it was no surprise this could happen knowing his character. I think Papineau playing his cards right here made public statement to set things straight, he will listen to numerous offers make the one that he thinks is best for the team. This will be best for both parties.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

If Musty wants to act like he's the top dog and refuses to step on the ice for the Wolves, that’s on him. The team has no obligation to trade him just because he’s decided he wants out.

His refusal to play isn’t exactly helping his reputation—if anything, it’s only making those character concerns more obvious. If he really wants what’s best for his future, proving he can rise above a rough situation would do more for his career than sitting out and throwing a fit.

He’s got talent, no doubt, but I think he’s missing the discipline needed to truly reach that next level.
Entitled!

WJ

Reactions: WolvesFan

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Take a tough stand with agent and NHL team; then draft the agents clients in the spring and ask the sharks to send imports. Great idea

This is only going to become more obvious when the NCAA/CHL wall drops shortly. Not worth losing your relationship with an agency. A team like Sudbury wants to play hardball, kid will just go to any of the dozens of NCAA schools making him an offer.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
"Our priority remains building and developing a strong and competitive team. If a deal arises that significantly improves our team, we will consider it. Until then, Quentin remains an important part of the Sudbury Wolves, and he is welcome to join the team at any time."

How is it being handled in the worst way?
How is it painting the entire league in bad light and hinder recruitment for years to come?
Agree. I think the team needs to show their integrity. Can't allow a entitled viewpoint to walk all over this organization. If anything the Wolves would garner respect for the way they are dealing with it. Let him sit at home. I could care a less. Teams think we are giving him away like he's a third import player need to think again.

London fans trying to offer fringe players make me laugh.

WJ

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
This is only going to become more obvious when the NCAA/CHL wall drops shortly. Not worth losing your relationship with an agency. A team like Sudbury wants to play hardball, kid will just go to any of the dozens of NCAA schools making him an offer.
Musty has an NHL contract though, I'd think even if the NCAA wall was down, it wouldn't be an option for him and other players who have actually signed pro deals.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Sudbury won't be the only team to lose players. It will be a league wide issue. Bigger than the Wolves organization. The new commish has his hands full. Branch got out at the right time it appears.

WJ

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Musty has an NHL contract though, I'd think even if the NCAA wall was down, it wouldn't be an option for him and other players who have actually signed pro deals.

As of today, no. But NCAA has allowed players who have played pro overseas to be eligible. Only a matter of time.

Sudbury won't be the only team to lose players.

WJ

Of course not. Everyone will. But it will make playing hardball with players agents impossible. Players will hold all the cards on their future.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
As of today, no. But NCAA has allowed players who have played pro overseas to be eligible. Only a matter of time.

Of course not. Everyone will. But it will make playing hardball with players agents impossible. Players will hold all the cards on their future.
At the end of the day this is not going to impact us to the extent you make out. Agents have always been a big pain in the backside. That will never change even on a good day.

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
trust me Sudbury is not known to hardball anyone, so I think you are trying to suggest something that is not happening at this time. At the end of the day any other options players have that's good for them. Like anything else the organization will have to adjust to any changes happening in hockey world. In Wolves statement the door for Musty to return is open, but I doubt that will happen.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
He can’t go NCAA

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

I agree! I am pleased to see a team’s management take a stand against a players selfish demand. They are sending a message that they will only entertain a trade if the deal benefits them.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
This is not the time to bash the kid with personal attacks. If it is for personal reasons I’m sure the Wolves will eventually accommodate. I think what’s happening is fans and maybe management are trying to understand “why”. Other similar trades occured during pre-season to do right for the player under special circumstances. But it seems those personal circumstances weren’t present when he left for San Jose and all of a sudden to everyone’s surprise he just goes home and doesn’t report. Shocking really how this unfolded, not surprised about a potential trade I feel with Dvorsky not returning it was inevitable. But to not show up and report has a stench to it. At the end of the day I’m sure everyone will come out ahead and be happy. Personal attacks aren’t helping anyone. I believe fans would be more understanding if they knew the reason…that’s all.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I thought Jeff Marek left sports reporting? I find it hilarious that he manages to resurface only to report bad news concerning the Wolves. First Villie, now Musty. I wonder what he has against Sudbury?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad