Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Posted this in the #20 prospect voting thread, but figured it could fit here as well:

I like Paul Fischer as a long term project. Good size at 6'1 200 lbs. Showed extremely well during the physical tests at the combine. Solid pedigree with the USNTDP. Going to a good NCAA program where he will have time to develop. Haven't seen him play much, but hoping he can develop into a stay at home bottom pairing guy...maybe more if he can improve his poise with the puck and passing skills.

Good read:

Always nice reading this in a pre-draft scouting report:
One of the more intriguing factors in Fischer’s play is his skating technique, which may be his biggest asset. The former Chicago Mission stalwart can skate with power while maintaining great edges. He has been well coached in skating technique, something that also adds to his draft value and could make him one of the better bargains in this year’s draft.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Pronman has us at 18th in pipeline ratings. Notable is that he has Bolduc on at 7th, soured due to lack of compete and lack of interior offense play.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
I know the Blues aren’t involved in the Traverse City tournament this year, but are they going to a different one? Why did they opt out of Traverse City this year? Thanks in advance.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I know the Blues aren’t involved in the Traverse City tournament this year, but are they going to a different one? Why did they opt out of Traverse City this year? Thanks in advance.
This article was posted on the last page:
EV Zug's Attilio Biasca invited to the St. Louis Blues' rookie camp

It says this guy was invited to Rookie/Development camp, running from Sept 13-19.

I don’t know why they left the TC tourney but I think they’re doing something else with a few other teams. Don’t recall the specifics.

Side note: the dates above give a hint that main camp likely starts Sept 20.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
And it’s worth noting that his rankings include everyone below age cutoff (22?) so isn’t just prospects. Stars list includes Wyatt Johnson, for example. I suspect if it were just prospects we would be much higher.
I noticed that too.

I was hoping for some "career games played" restriction because that meant stars like Stutzle and Jack Hughes (not sure on this one but the idea remains the same) are eligible. The Blues have done wonders to their prospect pool but they are not competing against that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I noticed that too.

I was hoping for some "career games played" restriction because that meant stars like Stutzle and Jack Hughes (not sure on this one but the idea remains the same) are eligible. The Blues have done wonders to their prospect pool but they are not competing against that.
The Athletic has two prospect writers who do annual rankings of prospect/pipeline pools. This one is done by Pronman and he elects to include all players below 23 in order to not punish teams that 'graduate' prospects to the NHL but still have young studs with years of team control. Wheeler ranks team prospect pools mid-season and graduates guys who are NHL regulars.

Wheeler is the one who put out his top 50 drafted prospects list a few weeks ago and I am more excited for his mid-season ranking than I was for this one simply because I am much more confident in my own assessment of young NHL players than I am guys who are playing in leagues I don't watch.

With all that said, I'm not mad about being 18th. We were 29th a year ago and basically none of our 'pipeline' is made up of actual NHL players. We have a decent stable of talent aged 23-25 (Thomas, Kyrou, Hofer, Tucker, Torpo, Perunovich, and Kessel), which is still young enough to contribute throughout a 5+ year timeline.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Posted this in the #20 prospect voting thread, but figured it could fit here as well:

I like Paul Fischer as a long term project. Good size at 6'1 200 lbs. Showed extremely well during the physical tests at the combine. Solid pedigree with the USNTDP. Going to a good NCAA program where he will have time to develop. Haven't seen him play much, but hoping he can develop into a stay at home bottom pairing guy...maybe more if he can improve his poise with the puck and passing skills.

Good read:

Always nice reading this in a pre-draft scouting report:

Thanks for postiing this. I knew nothing about him prior to this, all the hype being heaped on our first four draft picks.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
So Pronman had his best under 23 NHL players/prospect list come out. He has Dvorsky at 39th overall and Snuggerud at 78th. There are some very interesting choices he has above Snuggerud imo.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Pronman has rapidly lost credibility with me over the years, he has puts way too much stock on players draft number when creating rankings. It's almost like he stops scouting after their draft, only elevating talent that reaches the NHL and makes an impact. Some of the names above Snuggerud are an absolute joke.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't put a ton of stock into the numerical ranking of these types of lists that are comparing guys within a massive developmental range. There is just no truly objective way to compare a 17 year old junior player to a 19 year old NCAA player to a 20 year old Euro pro to a 20+ old NHL player. No one in the world can make a 150+ player list without massive dispute.

With that said, I think Pronman recognizes this, which is why he puts players into tiers. Dvorsky is in tier 6 (top of the lineup player) which contains the guys he ranks 25-44 while Snuggy is tier 7 (bubble top and middle of the lineup player) which contains the guys he ranks 45-84. In the little blurb, he says "skating is the only real issue in his game, but everything else says top six wing which is what I think he projects as." I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I'd have him a bit higher because I think he projects as a 2nd liner even if he doesn't make big improvements to his skating, but that is fairly well in line with the descriptor 'bubble top and middle of the lineup player.'

I do want to mention that he has Stenberg at #110, Neighbours #135, and Dean #152 in tier 8 (middle of the lineup player). Bolduc and Lindstein aren't listed.

Reactions: Mike Liut

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Pronman has rapidly lost credibility with me over the years, he has puts way too much stock on players draft number when creating rankings. It's almost like he stops scouting after their draft, only elevating talent that reaches the NHL and makes an impact. Some of the names above Snuggerud are an absolute joke.

He never had credibility. But, if anything, I think his opinions about hockey have improved over the years. Doesn't make his lists hugely better, but years ago, his lists were basically just a ranking of Sick Skillz Brah and favored guys who were extreme long shots, while overlooking solid players just because they didn't have one standout skill. Getting worked up over players who can't play hockey just because they can dangle kids or because they don't get exposed on international ice is the epitome of an armchair analyst. Perception of ceiling relative to some of the least important aspects of the game does not intersect with credibility. People around here come up with similar lists all the time.

Reactions: Stealth JD

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia

Blues Prospects by Forum Ranking
1) Dalibor Dvorsky - 82%
2) Jimmy Snuggerud - 93%
3) Joel Hofer - 39%
4) Zachary Bolduc - 59%
5) Otto Stenberg - 42%
6) Jake Neighbors - 45.5%