Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Can't wait, going to head to party tomorrow I think. We certainly didn'tget much use of that 11 time champion banner eh?

Now that we've won, it's time to look into making a 3 peat. I haven't seen the official FA list, but honestly it doesn't matter too terribly. CFL contracts are fairly easy to cut and to rework, generally are all done almost every season. I'll include the guys who finished on PR but they are already FA's. Obviously there's far too many guys in either of the top two categories (see below that'd be blue and gold levels of my opinion of returning) but some depend on other choices and whatnot.

Blue is "locked in" - I'm 95 plus % sure they will return
Gold is "fairly certain" - I think they'll be back, but might change with retirement or salary considerations or opportunities elsewhere
Green is "unsure" - This could fall either way. It's also the colour I will use for "it doesn't really matter"
Red is "unlikely" - I don't think this player will return
* = American
** = Global
QBs
1. Zach Collaros (FA Feb 22)
2. Sean Maguire (FA Feb 22)
3. Dru Brown (FA)
Leagues MOP will be back. They'll have to pay ALOT more after the year he's had obviously which might necessitate some cuts elsewhere, but you can guarantee Zach Collaros will be back. I'm fairly sure Sean Maguire will also be back. They trust him on short yardage, he's still relatively young for a CFL QB and they've been developing. Won't hurt that he will be cheap after his poor performance in the meaningless rain game. Dru Brown will likely be in a dog fight with 1-2 rookie QB's to hold onto that #3 spot. These kind of deep discussions are too hard to predict for me so who knows there.

RBs
1. Andrew Harris (FA Feb 22)
2. Brady Oliveira (FA Feb 22)
3. Johnny Augustine (FA Feb 22)
4. Shaq Cooper* (FA)

5. FB Mike Miller (FA Feb 22)
Will he retire? There's been some speculation but I don't see Andrew Harris not returning. I think it will be more of a commitee though. Not sure Harris is going to like that much, but I think he will understand after the injuries started to add up this year. Oliveira is the heir apparent and they won't be letting him go until he's a proven bust. Almost inarguably the best RB prospect in the CFL despite some up and down this year coming back from the devasting injury in 2019. After watching Powell (SSK), Flanders (OTT), Butler (BC), White (TOR) plod to sub 5ypc seasons as Americans there's going to be a ton of teams drooling over the Canadian Augustine who had 285yds on just 40 carries for a 7.1ypc. He will find a starting role. Cooper sucks, bye. Miller will return if he wants to, retirement may loom.

WR
1. Kenny Lawler* (FA Feb 22)
2. Rasheed Bailey* (FA Feb 22)
3. Nic Demski (FA Feb 22)

4. Darvin Adams* (FA Feb 22)
5. Drew Wolitarsky (FA Feb 22)
6. Janarion Grant* (FA Feb 22)

7. Kelvin McKnight* (FA)
8. Brendan O'Leary-Orange (Signed for 22)
9. Charles Nelson* (FA)
10. James Tyrell (FA)
11. Carlton Agudosi* (FA)

Kenny Lawler is the best WR in the CFL, IMO. And we are likely going to get a discount on him due to his personal issues this year. Bailey, Demski, Wolitarsky are in comfortable roles that fit their playstyles, I can't see them getting more money/playing time moving on. I'm convinced Janarion Grant was never fully healthy this year. Game 1 they were trying to use him ala Brandon Banks but he goes down, is out quite awhile, then never quite looked right other than a game or two. I think they'll get him back healthy, and start to use him as a returned and WR next year. The last blue name up there is O'Leary-Orange, he's a top prospect who for some reason started on PR but worked his way onto the roster. I think the Bombers were for a better word testing him early as they've been burned by guys like Simonise in poor work ethic. Adams I put on unlikely since I'm not sure he is needed anymore and they might not want to spend the money on a guy who has fallen to be a #4/5 that struggles with health. And that great GC game might have other teams interested, particularly those lacking in quality veteran leadership (cough Ti-Cats cough). McKnight I just don't know. Tyrell was the back-up canadian WR before O'Leary-Orange replaced him around week 8/9/10. I didn't really even notice him on ST, and our ST sucked early. Undrafted canadians tend to bounce around. Agudosi spent the entire year on the PR. Can't tell if he'll be back, but I gotta think a 6'6'' WR gets another camp. The one thing Cooper proved was that Nelson is done like dinner, american returners are a dime a dozen they'll have rookies in to push Grant.

OL
LT Stanley Bryant* (FA Feb 22)
LG Patrick Neufeld (FA Feb 22)
C Michael Couture (FA Feb 22)
RG Drew Desjarlais (FA Feb 22)
RT Jamarcus Hardrick* (FA Feb 22)
6. C/G Asotui Eli (FA Feb 22)
7. G Geoff Gray (FA Feb 22)
8. C/G Chris Kolankowski (FA Feb 22)
9. G/T Drew Richmond* (FA or Signed for 22)
10. OL Jalen Burks* (FA)
11. OL Tomoya Machino** (FA)
4 of the 5 starters were all-stars, this is an amazing group. Bryant, Hardrick, and Couture I'm pretty sure will be back. Couture I might be more unsure off but they let go of Speller after 2019 when Couture was injured so they clearly love him. Kolankowski is in blue since he's been working his way up and I think some of the logjam ahead of him might clear. Neufeld is a retirement risk I think why he's only gold. Desjarlais is maybe just my being nervous about having our star guards leave for home (Chung, Labatte). Gray I think will be back IF one of of the 3 interior starters aren't back. At this point Gray has to eyeing a starting role. Richmond only played like 6 snaps after being the 3rd tackle on the roster, they will probably give him another chance. Machino is a Global who was a 2nd rounder in 2021, I've been told he is a physical beast but no technique when he was drafted. I think they'll keep developing. Eli was downgraded due to vaccine status. No team wants a player that can only play home games. Burks I know nothing about but he never got off PR.

DL
DE Willie Jefferson* (FA Feb 22)
DT Jake Thomas (FA Feb 22)
DT Steven Richardson* (FA Feb 22)
DE Jackson Jeffcoat* (FA Feb 22)
5. DE Jonathan Kongbo (FA Feb 22)
6. DT Casey Sayles* (Signed for 22)

7. DE Thiadric Hansen** (FA Feb 22)
8. DT Ricky Walker* (FA or Signed for 22)
9. DE Tobi Antigha* (FA)
10. DT Ezekiel Rose* (FA Feb 22)
This is going to be a bit of a scramble here. And they might have to make new plans going forward. Willie will be back as superstar and Hansen will be back in a rotational role again. Outside of that, I just don't know. Thomas could retire. He could be back. If Thomas leaves, you might have to go to Kongbo starting at DE meaning Jeffcoat will get big money elsewhere. If Thomas stays and Jeffcoat is brought back Kongbo likely leaves looking for a starting spot. Sayles and Richardson are probably only both returning if Thomas retires, otherwise just one. We have 6 starting calibre guys, only 4 spots and every other team is dying to steal some of our pieces here. Walker and Rose might be back as backups, idk much about either Walker didn't play too much and Rose barely at all. Antigha fell out of favour as a pass rusher early and never got back onto roster so he'll move on. Look for Bombers to target DL at the draft.

LB
1. Adam Bighill* (FA Feb 22)
2. Kyrie Wilson* (Signed for 22)
3. Jesse Briggs (FA Feb 22)

4. Shayne Gauthier (FA Feb 22)
5. Tanner Cadwallader (Signed for 22)
6. Kevin Brown* (FA or Signed for 22)

7. Robbie Lowes (FA)
8. Les Maruo** (FA)
9. Ayo Oyelola** (FA)

After some early injuries Kyrie settled in and was an underrated player on this D. Made that pick to clinch it though which capped a wonderful GC game for him. Briggs is a guy they value alot as a canadian including regularly getting him into the game on defense. So much so they slowly released every other true replacement LB on the roster. Bighill is in gold only because once you get to a certain age retirement seems likely every year. Hard to see that coming of DPOTY award but you never know. Gauthier is a key ST, and even played on D at times but who knows canadian STers rove in CFL. Lowes is ST prospect. The two globals I think will be back, Maruo started on roster but struggled on ST and fell out of favour. He was a #4 overall pick in global draft so I think he gets another chance. British Ayo Oyelola got into one of the meaningless games idk but feel like why not. Cadwallader idk STer. Brown is only not red since he somehow kept getting onto roster. Never played D, in fact terrible defense players like Gautheir played over him on D. But they kept bringing back this american to be ST only. Perplexing to me so I made him green instead of red.

DB
BCB Winston Rose* (FA Feb 22)
BHB Deatrick Nichols* (Signed for 22)
S Brandon Alexander* (FA Feb 22)
FLB Alden Darby* (FA Feb 22)
FHB Nick Taylor* (FA Feb 22)
FCB DeAundre Alford* (Signed for 22)
7. CB/HB/LB Mike Jones* (FA Feb 22)
8. S Nick Hallett (FA Feb 22)
9. S Noah Hallett (Signed for 22)

10. LB/S Redha Kramdhi (Signed for 22)
11. HB/CB Josh Miller* (FA or Signed for 22)
12. LB/HB Josh Johnson* (FA Feb 22)
13. LB/HB Mercy Maston* (FA Feb 22)
14. HB/CB Demario Houston* (FA)

15. LB/S Sergio Schiaffino-Perez** (FA)
This is the group that made it out of mad scramble for spots at the start of the year to end the year. Rose and Alexander are the two big targets to return and I think they'll get them back. Taylor, Jones are versatile guys that are lower key and probably more realistic salary wise to re-sign. The Hallett bros are potential starters at S but I think they'll try to bring both back as backups for that depth and they get to play together. Darby might have priced himself out of Winnipeg with his great 2nd half of the year, if he leaves I'm guessing they take a shot in the dark on Johnson or Maston who both spent the whole season out with injury. Alford might get an NFL look. Kramdhi got moved to backup FLB and is great ST so we'll see. Schiaffino-Perez was elevated to active roster for 1 game when it mattered and it could have been any canadian instead so they clearly like him still. Nichols is lower due to he's going NFL, IMO. Miller and Houston are the only two of about 7 rookie backup DB's that started on roster/practice roster after camp ended but idk if they'll be back. Johnson/Maston I mentioned earlier hurt all year, who knows.

ST
LS Mike Benson (FA Feb 22)
K Sergio Castillo* (FA Feb 22)
K/P Marc Liegghio (Signed for 22)
K Ali Mourtada* (FA)
K Tyler Crapigna (FA Feb 22)

Liegghio will be back as the punter. I think they will keep developing his kicking as well to hopefully make him a canadian K/P. Castillo I think will be back but they paid him basically a king's ransom to come back. Unlikely they can afford that next year my one concern. Benson seemed to be hinting at retirement before the GC. Mourtada and Crapigna are done.

So I'm gonna revisit my predictions about re-signings, let's see how I did. I've left the colours as what I originally predicted.

Gold is "fairly certain" - I think they'll be back, but might change with retirement or salary considerations or opportunities elsewhere
Green is "unsure" - This could fall either way. It's also the colour I will use for "it doesn't really matter"
* = American
** = Global
QBs
1. Zach Collaros (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
3. Dru Brown (FA) - SIGNED

We got Collaros as I knew we would. They brought back Brown to try out as the #3 again. Backup is still up in the air right now.

RBs
3. Johnny Augustine (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
4. Shaq Cooper* (FA)

5. FB Mike Miller (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED

ADDED: RB Kyle Borsa
Probably the spot I had the worst read on. Not going to be too hard on myself since it still isn't sure what's going on here. Harris leaving as a FA never entered my mind, but maybe it's possible now? Idk. Looks like Oliveira-Augustine-Borsa backfield this year, could be a true time share.

WR
2. Rasheed Bailey* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
3. Nic Demski (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't FA)

5. Drew Wolitarsky (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED

7. Kelvin McKnight* (FA) - SIGNED
8. Brendan O'Leary-Orange (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't FA)
9. Charles Nelson* (FA)
10. James Tyrell (FA)

ADDED: WR Blake Jackson*
Much like RB still much up in the air here. Looks like Darvin is out, and Lawler who knows but has a big money deal on the table in BC. Grant I'm still expecting back. American WR is one of, if not the easiest spot to find rookie talent so going cheap here is likely the plan.

OL
LT Stanley Bryant* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
LG Patrick Neufeld (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
C Michael Couture (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
RG Drew Desjarlais (FA Feb 22) - NFL (New England)
RT Jamarcus Hardrick* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
7. G Geoff Gray (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
8. C/G Chris Kolankowski (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
10. OL Jalen Burks* (FA) - SIGNED

Got the boys back together up front like I thought. Desjarlais getting so much NFL interest shocked me a bit, but best of luck. Gray is the most likely replacement right now. Liam Dobson is he fails to get an NFL deal will be an interesting add as well. Eli vaxx status means bye bye as expected.

DL
DE Willie Jefferson* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
DT Jake Thomas (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
DE Jackson Jeffcoat* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
5. DE Jonathan Kongbo (FA Feb 22) - NFL (Denver)
6. DT Casey Sayles* (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't FA)

8. DT Ricky Walker* (FA or Signed for 22) - SIGNED
9. DE Tobi Antigha* (FA)

Added: DL Cedric Wilcots*, DT JoJo Wicker*
Having already Sayles and Walker signed then adding two more interior DL means that Richardson is probably gone. One or two of the DL had to leave this off-season, that was inevitable. Richardson and Kongbo look like it. Hansen I was hoping they could get back as well, but he might have a bidding war as one of the few usable Global players that's not a K or P. We'll see there.

LB
1. Adam Bighill* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
2. Kyrie Wilson* (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't a FA)
3. Jesse Briggs (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED

4. Shayne Gauthier (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED

7. Robbie Lowes (FA) - SIGNED
8. Les Maruo** (FA) - SIGNED
9. Ayo Oyelola** (FA)

Starters = signed. Key backups = signed. Top prospects = signed. Job done here.

DB
BCB Winston Rose* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
BHB Deatrick Nichols* (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (No NFL deal yet)
FCB DeAundre Alford* (Signed for 22) - NFL (Atlanta)
8. S Nick Hallett (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
9. S Noah Hallett (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't a FA)

10. LB/S Redha Kramdhi (Signed for 22) - Signed (Wasn't a FA)
13. LB/HB Mercy Maston* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
14. HB/CB Demario Houston* (FA) - SIGNED

Added: DB Mike Hampton*, DB Malcolm Thompson, DB Donovan Olumba*
Looks like we're trusting our scouting here again. Not many names yet under contract. Alexander is going to miss first half of year due to injury, but will likely be back. No word yet on Darby, Taylor, Jones. Maston was a bit of surprise to me, but probably cheap after missed year 2021. Already bringing in new guys means they are expecting many holes here again.

ST
LS Mike Benson (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
K/P Marc Liegghio (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't a FA)
K Ali Mourtada* (FA) - SIGNED

Benson I thought had hinted a retirement, but I guess not. Liegghio is going to keep getting chances and Mourtada is likely just a break in case of fire kicker. Castillo is looking NFL.

Overall I think I did ok considering I don't know any behind the scenes things, what the exact amounts are for many players, etc.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So I'm gonna revisit my predictions about re-signings, let's see how I did. I've left the colours as what I originally predicted.

* = American
** = Global
QBs
1. Zach Collaros (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
3. Dru Brown (FA) - SIGNED

We got Collaros as I knew we would. They brought back Brown to try out as the #3 again. Backup is still up in the air right now.

RBs
3. Johnny Augustine (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
4. Shaq Cooper* (FA)

5. FB Mike Miller (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED

ADDED: RB Kyle Borsa
Probably the spot I had the worst read on. Not going to be too hard on myself since it still isn't sure what's going on here. Harris leaving as a FA never entered my mind, but maybe it's possible now? Idk. Looks like Oliveira-Augustine-Borsa backfield this year, could be a true time share.

WR
2. Rasheed Bailey* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
3. Nic Demski (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't FA)

5. Drew Wolitarsky (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED

7. Kelvin McKnight* (FA) - SIGNED
8. Brendan O'Leary-Orange (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't FA)
9. Charles Nelson* (FA)
10. James Tyrell (FA)

ADDED: WR Blake Jackson*
Much like RB still much up in the air here. Looks like Darvin is out, and Lawler who knows but has a big money deal on the table in BC. Grant I'm still expecting back. American WR is one of, if not the easiest spot to find rookie talent so going cheap here is likely the plan.

OL
LT Stanley Bryant* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
LG Patrick Neufeld (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
C Michael Couture (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
RG Drew Desjarlais (FA Feb 22) - NFL (New England)
RT Jamarcus Hardrick* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
7. G Geoff Gray (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
8. C/G Chris Kolankowski (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
10. OL Jalen Burks* (FA) - SIGNED

Got the boys back together up front like I thought. Desjarlais getting so much NFL interest shocked me a bit, but best of luck. Gray is the most likely replacement right now. Liam Dobson is he fails to get an NFL deal will be an interesting add as well. Eli vaxx status means bye bye as expected.

DL
DE Willie Jefferson* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
DT Jake Thomas (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
DE Jackson Jeffcoat* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
5. DE Jonathan Kongbo (FA Feb 22) - NFL (Denver)
6. DT Casey Sayles* (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't FA)

8. DT Ricky Walker* (FA or Signed for 22) - SIGNED
9. DE Tobi Antigha* (FA)

Added: DL Cedric Wilcots*, DT JoJo Wicker*
Having already Sayles and Walker signed then adding two more interior DL means that Richardson is probably gone. One or two of the DL had to leave this off-season, that was inevitable. Richardson and Kongbo look like it. Hansen I was hoping they could get back as well, but he might have a bidding war as one of the few usable Global players that's not a K or P. We'll see there.

LB
1. Adam Bighill* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
2. Kyrie Wilson* (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't a FA)
3. Jesse Briggs (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED

4. Shayne Gauthier (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED

7. Robbie Lowes (FA) - SIGNED
8. Les Maruo** (FA) - SIGNED
9. Ayo Oyelola** (FA)

Starters = signed. Key backups = signed. Top prospects = signed. Job done here.

DB
BCB Winston Rose* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
BHB Deatrick Nichols* (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (No NFL deal yet)
FCB DeAundre Alford* (Signed for 22) - NFL (Atlanta)
8. S Nick Hallett (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
9. S Noah Hallett (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't a FA)

10. LB/S Redha Kramdhi (Signed for 22) - Signed (Wasn't a FA)
13. LB/HB Mercy Maston* (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
14. HB/CB Demario Houston* (FA) - SIGNED

Added: DB Mike Hampton*, DB Malcolm Thompson, DB Donovan Olumba*
Looks like we're trusting our scouting here again. Not many names yet under contract. Alexander is going to miss first half of year due to injury, but will likely be back. No word yet on Darby, Taylor, Jones. Maston was a bit of surprise to me, but probably cheap after missed year 2021. Already bringing in new guys means they are expecting many holes here again.

ST
LS Mike Benson (FA Feb 22) - SIGNED
K/P Marc Liegghio (Signed for 22) - SIGNED (Wasn't a FA)
K Ali Mourtada* (FA) - SIGNED

Benson I thought had hinted a retirement, but I guess not. Liegghio is going to keep getting chances and Mourtada is likely just a break in case of fire kicker. Castillo is looking NFL.

Overall I think I did ok considering I don't know any behind the scenes things, what the exact amounts are for many players, etc.
Nice review - you have any predictions for UFA signings?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Nice review - you have any predictions for UFA signings?

Sounds like fun. My disclaimer is I don't know half the salaries/ don't know exactly cap/etc. It's getting better but this stuff is still really hard for CFL. As well we don't know really who for sure is coming back yet.

Some assumptions I will incorporate.
1) RB is taken care of. Whatever happens it'll be some combination of Harris, Oliveira, Augustine, and Borsa.
2) One of Darby/Jones/Taylor will return.
3) Janarion Grant will be back

So if we assume our weaknesses are
1) #1 WR
2) DL, notably starting DT and backup canadians along DL
3) DB
4) Backup QB
5) Depth WR

1) The top target is obviously Kenny Lawler. If BC or NFL do snag him there are options. We still need that game breaking threat, so we definitely will inquire on Duke Williams and Jake Weineke. If not Ricky Collins and Jalen Acklin are there as well as interesting options. But we need a #1 target, we will get a top end guy if we lose Lawler, IMO. Probably the only place we really spend in FA. I'd say we look at Jake Weineke first, then Duke Williams, then Ricky Collins, but end up settling for Jalen Acklin with the hope that development from Bailey and Wolitarsky continue. If we get a top end guy (Weineke/Lawler/Williams) we probably go rookie at #5. If we get a lower end guy see point 5.

2) We've already spent quite a bit along the DL so I will go outside box and I think we may end up with Drake Nevis coming back. He turned his strong play into a big contract in TOR, but the pandemic then a 2021 where he was only healthy for 1 game probably kills his value. If the D had one semi-weakness it was vs the run game last year and Nevis does alot to shore that up in the middle of that DL if he is healthy. I think we are trying hard to add Canadians in the draft along DL.

3) Honestly I don't know that we'll add here beyond retaining Alexander and one of the 3 mentioned above. That gives you a starting group of Rose - Nichols - Alexander (Hallett bros 1st half) - Maston (CLB) - Taylor/Darby/rookie - Jones/rookie. They trust their scouting here.

4) I still think it'll be McGuire. But Matthew Shiltz might be interesting enough for them to bite if they can afford it. All depends on price. Probably Streveler - Shiltz - O'Connor - McGuire would be my order of preference, but depends on the money.

5) Plenty of interesting options here. I think they will kick the tires on Hergy Mayala, Markeith Ambles, RJ Harris, Josh Huff. Depends on price points and if we get a top end option we might not be able to afford any of them.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
It's unfortunate but you just can't pay a 35 rb who missed time last year big money especially when you have his replacement already signed, if he wants to sign with another team that's his right but if that team is the Riders he is dead to me :laugh:.

Yeah, on one hand the Bombers are set at RB with or without Harris, but on the other hand there is some sentimentality there... he's the poster boy for the Bombers' turnaround from perennial losers into a powerhouse. And a hometown hero no less.

If he walks away and retires then I could live with it even if I don't like it, but seeing him sign somewhere else would be tough. Especially if it's the Riders.

Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and James West and Tyrone Jones ended up going to BC... that was when I realized that sports was a tough business with no loyalty!

On another note, is there someplace to see current depth charts for the teams? With all the signings lately I haven't kept up with the new QBs around the league.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, on one hand the Bombers are set at RB with or without Harris, but on the other hand there is some sentimentality there... he's the poster boy for the Bombers' turnaround from perennial losers into a powerhouse. And a hometown hero no less.
If he walks away and retires then I could live with it even if I don't like it, but seeing him sign somewhere else would be tough. Especially if it's the Riders.
Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and James West and Tyrone Jones ended up going to BC... that was when I realized that sports was a tough business with no loyalty!

On another note, is there someplace to see current depth charts for the teams? With all the signings lately I haven't kept up with the new QBs around the league.

Yes, tough business, but I wouldn't say there is no loyalty. Consider that the CFL team salary cap is lower than the individual salaries of many of our Jets, that the Bombers have a number of home grown players on their roster and the bond between the players, the coaches and the city that has persuaded others to forego some cash.

It's more a case of 'rock vs hard place' than disloyalty, and I feel badly for both sides. I think the ideal scenario would be for Harris to come back for 1 last season at a reduced salary, with a tacit agreement to be employed by the team in another capacity after this coming year. That would give him some financial security over the medium term that is worth more than the money in dispute for this year.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yes, tough business, but I wouldn't say there is no loyalty. Consider that the CFL salary cap is lower than the individual salaries of many of our Jets, that the Bombers have a number of home grown players on their roster and the bond between the players, the coaches and the city that has persuaded others to forego some cash.

It's more a case of 'rock vs hard place' than disloyalty, and I feel badly for both sides. I think the ideal scenario would be for Harris to come back for 1 last season at a reduced salary, with a tacit agreement to be employed by the team in another capacity after this coming year. That would give him some financial security over the medium term that is worth more than the money in dispute for this year.

I dont think it has anything to do woth money to be honest. I think its more about role. I think its clear Bombers want to move on to 24yo Brady Oliveira and 28yo Johnny Augustine. Augustine has only a few years left, hed wouldnt have re-signed without assurances of playing time, IMO. And Oliveira is the future needs to be playing. Harris syrikes me as the type that wants every snap, every carry. Not neccessarily a bad thing but might be unrealistic at his age.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Sounds like fun. My disclaimer is I don't know half the salaries/ don't know exactly cap/etc. It's getting better but this stuff is still really hard for CFL. As well we don't know really who for sure is coming back yet.

Some assumptions I will incorporate.
1) RB is taken care of. Whatever happens it'll be some combination of Harris, Oliveira, Augustine, and Borsa.
2) One of Darby/Jones/Taylor will return.
3) Janarion Grant will be back

So if we assume our weaknesses are
1) #1 WR
2) DL, notably starting DT and backup canadians along DL
3) DB
4) Backup QB
5) Depth WR

1) The top target is obviously Kenny Lawler. If BC or NFL do snag him there are options. We still need that game breaking threat, so we definitely will inquire on Duke Williams and Jake Weineke. If not Ricky Collins and Jalen Acklin are there as well as interesting options. But we need a #1 target, we will get a top end guy if we lose Lawler, IMO. Probably the only place we really spend in FA. I'd say we look at Jake Weineke first, then Duke Williams, then Ricky Collins, but end up settling for Jalen Acklin with the hope that development from Bailey and Wolitarsky continue. If we get a top end guy (Weineke/Lawler/Williams) we probably go rookie at #5. If we get a lower end guy see point 5.

2) We've already spent quite a bit along the DL so I will go outside box and I think we may end up with Drake Nevis coming back. He turned his strong play into a big contract in TOR, but the pandemic then a 2021 where he was only healthy for 1 game probably kills his value. If the D had one semi-weakness it was vs the run game last year and Nevis does alot to shore that up in the middle of that DL if he is healthy. I think we are trying hard to add Canadians in the draft along DL.

3) Honestly I don't know that we'll add here beyond retaining Alexander and one of the 3 mentioned above. That gives you a starting group of Rose - Nichols - Alexander (Hallett bros 1st half) - Maston (CLB) - Taylor/Darby/rookie - Jones/rookie. They trust their scouting here.

4) I still think it'll be McGuire. But Matthew Shiltz might be interesting enough for them to bite if they can afford it. All depends on price. Probably Streveler - Shiltz - O'Connor - McGuire would be my order of preference, but depends on the money.

5) Plenty of interesting options here. I think they will kick the tires on Hergy Mayala, Markeith Ambles, RJ Harris, Josh Huff. Depends on price points and if we get a top end option we might not be able to afford any of them.
How are the receivers outside of Lawler? If they are pretty good you'd think at least one would want to come here with a possible discount for a high chance of winning the cup and potentially an even better payout next year.

Reactions: FonRiesen

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
How are the receivers outside of Lawler? If they are pretty good you'd think at least one would want to come here with a possible discount for a high chance of winning the cup and potentially an even better payout next year.
I think almost everyone is locked up - Williams, acklin, wieneke are all off the board now

Reactions: kylbaz

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Mathew Schiltz signs with the Ti Cats as it looks like Masoli is heading to the RedBlacks

You nailed that one. I think its time to come to terms with it being McGuire.

I think almost everyone is locked up - Williams, acklin, wieneke are all off the board now

I haven't seen anything on Acklin.
Theres other options still out there as well. Ricky Collins Jr is a pretty solid WR in a similiar mold to Lawler.
Im not a huge fan but Greg Ellingson has a good track record outside of last years Edmonton debacle.
Intriguing names remain like Markeith Ambles, Josh Huff, and RJ Harris. Not sure any of those 3 are #1 guys but would be interesting adds regardless.
Personnally I dont have any interest in some of older guys like Banks, Cunningham, or Stafford but its possible they can squeeze a year out of one of the old guys as well.

Perhaps the most interesting might be Hergy Mayala. Guy has absolutely top end talent but has only really teased it. If they cant get Lawler signed they might have some money freed up. If they feel Mayala can take that next step, we could maybe go with a WR corps of...
Wolitarsky* - Demski* - Bailey - Mayala* - Ambles/Huff/Harris/McKnight/rookie

That means we'd have 7 canadian starters on O. Meaning we could start 12 Americans on D, reducing the pressure on Thomas, and getting Briggs/Gauthier off D for good. Thatd be pretty nice if the WR listed can take a step forward as the group would lack a true top target.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
You nailed that one. I think its time to come to terms with it being McGuire.

I haven't seen anything on Acklin.
Theres other options still out there as well. Ricky Collins Jr is a pretty solid WR in a similiar mold to Lawler.
Im not a huge fan but Greg Ellingson has a good track record outside of last years Edmonton debacle.
Intriguing names remain like Markeith Ambles, Josh Huff, and RJ Harris. Not sure any of those 3 are #1 guys but would be interesting adds regardless.
Personnally I dont have any interest in some of older guys like Banks, Cunningham, or Stafford but its possible they can squeeze a year out of one of the old guys as well.

Perhaps the most interesting might be Hergy Mayala. Guy has absolutely top end talent but has only really teased it. If they cant get Lawler signed they might have some money freed up. If they feel Mayala can take that next step, we could maybe go with a WR corps of...
Wolitarsky* - Demski* - Bailey - Mayala* - Ambles/Huff/Harris/McKnight/rookie

That means we'd have 7 canadian starters on O. Meaning we could start 12 Americans on D, reducing the pressure on Thomas, and getting Briggs/Gauthier off D for good. Thatd be pretty nice if the WR listed can take a step forward as the group would lack a true top target.
Heard acklin to Ottawa

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Just read that, looks like he tweeted a pic of their logo.
Duke Williams $260k Riders
Weinke $160k Montreal
Lawler goes to NFL or BC, doesnt leave us with many options?
Seems like a bit of a shame to finally develop a receiver inhouse and just let him walk… wonder if they are offering $200k range…

posey or Williams-lambert are prob value signings if their injuries have healed

Reactions: kylbaz

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So Rose-Alford-Hallets-Taylor-?
Wilson-bighill-maston

Nichols not Alford but yeah. Nichols it appears is coming back, Alford is with Falcons.

Right now yeah. Alexander probably returns to play S in 2nd half of year. Probably going to look rookie at wide side CB would be my guess. Unless they can get Jones back cheap because Jones can play any of the 6 secondary spots.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I kind of wonder if players are pointing at the championship wins to get a pay bump and saying that their personal numbers don't matter because they're winning. Apparently the Bombers never even began negotiations with Harris and it sounds like Adams isn't coming back either.

Not specifically about Adams but I think their numbers make it clear that some guys aren't every down players anymore. They're getting older and durability is also a factor that makes it hard to justify anything other than a reduction in salary that they might just be unwilling to accept. It comes across as ruthless but they can't really afford much loyalty if the personal numbers aren't there to justify a raise, it just adds additional burden to other areas of the team.

Edit:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Looks like Oliveira - Augustine - Borsa is the RB group for the next two years.

Curious to know, does Borsa have that 3rd spot locked up? I would think he’s pencilled in but perhaps not locked in, yet.

In other, related news, Bob Irving was on CJOB this morning and he said the Bombers offered Harris an initial contract but no negotiations have taken place yet and Harris hasn’t signed the offer on the table — believes Harris will leave.

That sucks and I’d rather Harris retire, but if he wants to keep playing and someone wants to sign him, then he all the more power to him. I’m pretty happy with our current situation here. Oliveira/Augustine is a good Canadian RB combo — still better than most of the rest of the league. And it may not matter with our o-line anyhow, bet I could run for 1K behind them :laugh:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Farhan Lalji's also saying that there has been discussion between Harris and the Bombers so :dunno:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Bombers are just taking the pragmatic approach to negotiations and pointing out that it's harder and harder to keep him upright and healthy enough to be taking 20+ touches a game. Especially considering we're very likely going back to a full 18 game schedule this year.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Im assuming this in case Lawler leaves.

As I expected moving on from Darvin Adams. Great leader but has slowed down quite a bit and has struggled with injuries whole career. Bombers likely looking younger/cheaper at #4/5 WR (ie rookie).

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'm guessing Ellingson is probably significantly cheaper if Adams isn't willing to take a pay cut.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Curious to know, does Borsa have that 3rd spot locked up? I would think he’s pencilled in but perhaps not locked in, yet.

In other, related news, Bob Irving was on CJOB this morning and he said the Bombers offered Harris an initial contract but no negotiations have taken place yet and Harris hasn’t signed the offer on the table — believes Harris will leave.

That sucks and I’d rather Harris retire, but if he wants to keep playing and someone wants to sign him, then he all the more power to him. I’m pretty happy with our current situation here. Oliveira/Augustine is a good Canadian RB combo — still better than most of the rest of the league. And it may not matter with our o-line anyhow, bet I could run for 1K behind them :laugh:

I wouldnt say "locked in" but pretty sure. I've heard a disproportionate amount of talk about this guy for a 5th/6th rounder and they got him locked up very fast. They like the upside he brings, he was rumoured to be 2nd/3rd rounder before the PED suspension and he had a standout senior year at Regina.

Agree with pretty much everything here. Just really hope he signs somewhere other than Sask. But then again considering the way Melon heads talk about Harris its be hilarious if they were cheering for him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad