Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Top priority for the Bombers was getting the O line settled keeping ZC upright and that's pretty well done, as far as Lawler is concern I hold him no ill will he wants to be paid and I would rather not pay him 250k so good luck to you sir as the Bombers move on and win another cup. By the way I'm sure a FA or 2 would love to play for a championship calibre team for far less than 250k

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
What are the top priorities left? Bailey, Alexander, and Castillo would be really nice too? Rose, Darby, Wilson, still quite a few left, then the RB situation.
That will be a very intriguing one to see how it plays out. I really don’t know what the best thing to do there is. Glad I’m not making that call! Unlike a certain other team, I have complete faith in management to make the best possible decisions.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
What are the top priorities left? Bailey, Alexander, and Castillo would be really nice too? Rose, Darby, Wilson, still quite a few left, then the RB situation.
That will be a very intriguing one to see how it plays out. I really don’t know what the best thing to do there is. Glad I’m not making that call! Unlike a certain other team, I have complete faith in management to make the best possible decisions.
I believe Wilson is NOT a FA. Already locked up this season.

I think we would be solid if we got 2 of Rose Jones or Darby back…

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Couture, Wolitarsky, Rose is a big day today.

Castillo has made it clear he plans to explore NFL this off-season again. He'd have to take a huge per game cut to be back in CFL, his salary was a record amount per game when they brought him in due to desperate need at K. At best hell be back after NFL draft if no options emerge for him down south.

Alexander will be back at a discount with the injury.

I thought Wilson was FA as well, guess not (hes not on CFL official FA list).

Bailey, Lawler, Harris, Oliveira are likely the priorities left. Darby, Jones, Taylor are probably all being talked to as well. Some other minor players like Hansen, McGuire and Grant will likely receive offers one would think.

All imo of course.

Good news is our ratio is now set back at same as last year with only one change (Desjarlais-Gray/Dobson). 5 starters are back for sure (Neufeld, Couture, Demski, Wolitarsky, Thomas) and only RB is tbd, but itll be some combo of the 3 Canadian RBs we had last year + Kyle Borsa.

Still a bit of time. Yesterday opened up the "negotiation period". This is where other teams can contact pending FAs and make offers. This closes again before FA when the current team will have 48 hours exclusive window before FA opens.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Couture, Wolitarsky, Rose is a big day today.

Castillo has made it clear he plans to explore NFL this off-season again. He'd have to take a huge per game cut to be back in CFL, his salary was a record amount per game when they brought him in due to desperate need at K. At best hell be back after NFL draft if no options emerge for him down south.

Alexander will be back at a discount with the injury.

I thought Wilson was FA as well, guess not (hes not on CFL official FA list).

Bailey, Lawler, Harris, Oliveira are likely the priorities left. Darby, Jones, Taylor are probably all being talked to as well. Some other minor players like Hansen, McGuire and Grant will likely receive offers one would think.

All imo of course.

Good news is our ratio is now set back at same as last year with only one change (Desjarlais-Gray/Dobson). 5 starters are back for sure (Neufeld, Couture, Demski, Wolitarsky, Thomas) and only RB is tbd, but itll be some combo of the 3 Canadian RBs we had last year + Kyle Borsa.

Still a bit of time. Yesterday opened up the "negotiation period". This is where other teams can contact pending FAs and make offers. This closes again before FA when the current team will have 48 hours exclusive window before FA opens.
Lawler must be gone if BC is actually offering $250k and he also has NFL interest... BC must be going all-in with Rourke or waiting for Harris on the cheap.

I don't see a lot of competition out there for Andrew Harris given his injury history.

I might put Hansen as a higher priority as well - he's the best global in the league

DBs are wide open and I think the Halletts get a real shot at starting.

As for UFA - Moncrief and Sean Whyte would be one of my targets; Wouldn't mind seeing Exume or Petermann back, Cottoy could be a value-add

Harker would be an interesting add instead of McGuire - he seems to have fallen out of favour in Sask...

Cam Judge would be fun to see lined up beside Bighill

Reactions: jetsforever

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lawler must be gone if BC is actually offering $250k and he also has NFL interest... BC must be going all-in with Rourke or waiting for Harris on the cheap.

I don't see a lot of competition out there for Andrew Harris given his injury history.

I might put Hansen as a higher priority as well - he's the best global in the league

DBs are wide open and I think the Halletts get a real shot at starting.

As for UFA - Moncrief and Sean Whyte would be one of my targets; Wouldn't mind seeing Exume or Petermann back, Cottoy could be a value-add

Harker would be an interesting add instead of McGuire - he seems to have fallen out of favour in Sask...

Cam Judge would be fun to see lined up beside Bighill

Signing in BC would be risky for Lawler. Sure he gets his big payday this year. But he might be #3 WR there with an unproven QB. His numbers could tank and hed be in trouble next year to get another payday. Stay in WPG, even if its less this year its more of a guarantee for year after as undisputed #1 on a proven team.

I'd rather have McGuire over Harker. Harkers looked just as bad as McGuire but at least McGuire is good short yardage.

Harris isnt a FA risk, moreso the retirement risk.

Cam Judge is out of Bombers price range, plus theres nowhere to play him with Bighill and Wilson signed.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Andrew Harris is either re-signing or retiring.
I'd like to see Adams back even if he isn't what he used to be.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Signing in BC would be risky for Lawler. Sure he gets his big payday this year. But he might be #3 WR there with an unproven QB. His numbers could tank and hed be in trouble next year to get another payday. Stay in WPG, even if its less this year its more of a guarantee for year after as undisputed #1 on a proven team.

I'd rather have McGuire over Harker. Harkers looked just as bad as McGuire but at least McGuire is good short yardage.

Harris isnt a FA risk, moreso the retirement risk.

Cam Judge is out of Bombers price range, plus theres nowhere to play him with Bighill and Wilson signed.
We run four linebackers many times and judge would take reps from Briggs and gauthier more than anything

Careers are short $250k is likely close to twice what the bombers are offering Lawler

we will agree to disagree - I see more in Harker than McGuire - both need work obviously but McGuire was not decisive at all

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We run four linebackers many times and judge would take reps from Briggs and gauthier more than anything

Careers are short $250k is likely close to twice what the bombers are offering Lawler

we will agree to disagree - I see more in Harker than McGuire - both need work obviously but McGuire was not decisive at all

Cam Judge isnt a rotational player like Briggs/Gauthier hes a starter top quality. Hes gonna command more than Bighill or Wilson. Due to his passport sure but he would never sign as a rotational guy at best, and way out Bombers price range for a backup LB.

If the Bombers were going to sign Lawler they knew itd be 200k at least. Difference isnt going to be 125k. 250 this year could drop to 150 next with a bad year, be same as 200-200 more safe.

Reactions: jetsforever

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Cam Judge isnt a rotational player like Briggs/Gauthier hes a starter top quality. Hes gonna command more than Bighill or Wilson. Due to his passport sure but he would never sign as a rotational guy at best, and way out Bombers price range for a backup LB.

If the Bombers were going to sign Lawler they knew itd be 200k at least. Difference isnt going to be 125k. 250 this year could drop to 150 next with a bad year, be same as 200-200 more safe.
You missed my point - judge would not be rotational that’s obvious … he is better than Wilson and Wilson would take the extra reps away from Briggs/gauthier - anyway he’s likely not a target although walters has surprised us before

again I doubt Walters has $200k pegged for lawler - Harris only got 170-180 as an NI All-Star

lucky whiteheads gamble to leave the bombers paid of with $$$ not sure why you think it would
Be different for lawler

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You missed my point - judge would not be rotational that’s obvious … he is better than Wilson and Wilson would take the extra reps away from Briggs/gauthier - anyway he’s likely not a target although walters has surprised us before

again I doubt Walters has $200k pegged for lawler - Harris only got 170-180 as an NI All-Star

lucky whiteheads gamble to leave the bombers paid of with $$$ not sure why you think it would
Be different for lawler

Lucky was a healthy scratch here. It wasn't a gamble to leave, he had to leave. Whitehead was just trying to carve out a spot for himself somewhere last year on a roster. Lawler is a guaranteed #1 in Wpg, he'd be fighting for reps behind two guys already with experience with the team and QB who are paid as #1's already. Including a guy who is a similar style in Burnham. Rourke is an unknown and it all could blow up very easily there.

I'm not saying he won't take it. I'm saying it's very risky, even if the money is a little better. Already Couture's turned down extra money from BC to re-sign here. It's not worth the risk to some people. It will be to others. Hard to say yet. Walters is not clueless he would know what to expect from other teams regarding Lawler, he didn't come in blind and hope, you don't have as much success as he does without knowing how to look ahead. We'll see but I don't see it as a done deal he is gone yet.

Harris isn't a good example to use anywhere. There are so many extenuating circumstances with him.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Show Time Sheed: Blue Bombers re-sign receiver Rasheed Bailey for 2022 season | 3DownNation

Very nice signing. Bailey is an unsung hero on this offense, IMO. He will likely never put up the eye popping numbers like Lawler but smart consistent with total buy in is how I'd characterize him. Jack of all trades, does a little of everything, solid routes, solid speed, solid at sweeps, solid at blocking, solid hands. Might not have that "it" factor to make him a star but a key guy in the WR corps as the dependable #2/3.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
If we don’t re-sign grant, who do we think will be returning kicks for us this season? Is there someone on the roster that could do it or would they have to look to free agency to bring someone in?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If we don’t re-sign grant, who do we think will be returning kicks for us this season? Is there someone on the roster that could do it or would they have to look to free agency to bring someone in?

Theres like 5 WR+DBs on the roster right now, nit many options haha.

Itll be Grant or some rookie no ones ever heard of until TC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad