Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Will be interesting to see if Harris comes back at a discount… and what side job he has in Winnipeg haha

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I dont really get this talk about "Bombers dont have a salary cap". Like maybe 30-40% of the roster is currently under contract right now. They had they entire cap to work with since they only had 4-5 guys under contract for 2022 when they won the GC. There will be choices to be had sure, but how could anyone else afford to pay these guys much more when they have to pay their own guys as well. Even without discounts they were of course gonna get at least 70% of the guys back, they have to pay someone...they just wont be super active in FA.

Only FA I see them pursuing is if Lawler leaves for NFL they try for Burnham, IMO. Same type of WR, and Lawler is a big money guy they can redirect the money to Burnham.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I dont really get this talk about "Bombers dont have a salary cap". Like maybe 30-40% of the roster is currently under contract right now. They had they entire cap to work with since they only had 4-5 guys under contract for 2022 when they won the GC. There will be choices to be had sure, but how could anyone else afford to pay these guys much more when they have to pay their own guys as well. Even without discounts they were of course gonna get at least 70% of the guys back, they have to pay someone...they just wont be super active in FA.

Only FA I see them pursuing is if Lawler leaves for NFL they try for Burnham, IMO. Same type of WR, and Lawler is a big money guy they can redirect the money to Burnham.
also my guess is adams made a good amount last year that he shouldn't get near or his money could be replaced and I think if harris comes back it's going to be at a reduced role so he might get less as well

Reactions: kellhunter

None

Feb 22, 2012

Didn't they try signing Burnham last year? I can't remember which receiver they tried signing but most of the cap space that was reserved ended up going to Castillo and Rose, which in hindsight was probably more important.

I'm guessing that they're going to reserve some space again in case any of the guys getting NFL looks (Alford, Desjarlais, Lawler?) shake loose like Rose did. I doubt it affects a signing like Burnham/Lawler though.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Didn't they try signing Burnham last year? I can't remember which receiver they tried signing but most of the cap space that was reserved ended up going to Castillo and Rose, which in hindsight was probably more important.
they tried signing him last year and he said he was considering it but ultimately decided to go back to the lions, I think he would for sure leave this year

None

Feb 22, 2012
they tried signing him last year and he said he was considering it but ultimately decided to go back to the lions, I think he would for sure leave this year

Yeah, and there's been talk of Reilly retiring.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
also my guess is adams made a good amount last year that he shouldn't get near or his money could be replaced and I think if harris comes back it's going to be at a reduced role so he might get less as well

I love Darvin and what hes done for this team. When he signed here he was absolutely elite on poor teams, and has been from all accounts a key guy that changed the culture in the room (along with Bryant, Harris and others).

However hes always struggled with injuries and fell to a 4/5 type guy that only excelled at deep balls last year. Hes never been good in short passing game (slants/crossers) and hes not quite as good at the 50/50 ball anymore. I think its time to move on unfortunately. Lawler/Burnham, Bailey, Demski, Wolitarsky is a real solid WR corps, they can audition young guys for that last role, IMO. Grant still kicking around as well, I think he could still end up a factor on O as well as the #6/7 guy.

Walters today was talking about OL/DL being the first focus and they now turn to WR/DB (not meaning everything else is done just the focus part). I think well see Bailey, Wolitarsky, Oliveira, Alexander, Rose deals done in short order here. Harris could be a bit trickier so well see.

Reactions: jetsforever

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Yeah, and there's been talk of Reilly retiring.

Just saw that he did retire. Don't know the details yet but that leaves the Lions with Nathan rfourke and kevin Thomson I believe. Jeremiah Masoli come on down.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Banks is leaving Hamilton - does that mean he's leaving the CFL? If not he'd be a pretty good target.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Very quiet week in Bomber land. Sounds like WRs might be getting held up by Lawler decision.

Couture, Bailey, Wolitarsky, Alexander, Rose are some really important names to get locked up and they are running out of time here.

Reactions: kylbaz

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Dont see how. At his age hes just a lesser Janarion Grant, IMO.

Likely he signs in Ottawa, the new OTT GM was in HAM for alot of years and they just lost Dedmon to the Dolphins.
You don't think there's a chance he signs here for a bit cheaper? Wonder why he's leaving Hamilton, are they expected to not be good this year and he wants one more year to go for the cup? Or maybe he's just going to retire?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You don't think there's a chance he signs here for a bit cheaper? Wonder why he's leaving Hamilton, are they expected to not be good this year and he wants one more year to go for the cup? Or maybe he's just going to retire?

Well for one I dont think that much Banks. Honestly think Lucky is better now than Banks was ever. Like I said at Banks' age I take Janarion Grant over him right now. Plus as we saw from Lucky being not a system fit so ended up scratched, Bombers dont really use that speedy, small type of wideout. Sure theyll mix in Grant on some shallow crossers, but the Bombers dont blow the top of D's that way, dont use WR screens as much that way. Just not how they are built. So even if Banks was still good, hes just not a fit in how the O is constructed, IMO. If they sign Banks it ends the same as Chris Matthews pt 2. Or Adarius Bowman pt 2.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Think it will be a slow start to free agency with all the talent out there... Harris, Masoli, MBT - maybe even Streveler - will all be the main targets and then decisions will be made after that

Who have we got signed right now for starters...

Adams-Demski
Bryant-Neufeld-Kola-Gray-Hardrick
Collaros-RB?

WJ-Thomas-Sayles-Jeffcoat
Wilson/Gauthier/Briggs-Bighill-
Nichols-Hallett

Lieghhio-Benson

Anyone I missed for a confirmed starter?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Think it will be a slow start to free agency with all the talent out there... Harris, Masoli, MBT - maybe even Streveler - will all be the main targets and then decisions will be made after that

Who have we got signed right now for starters...

Adams-Demski
Bryant-Neufeld-Kola-Gray-Hardrick
Collaros-RB?

WJ-Thomas-Sayles-Jeffcoat
Wilson/Gauthier/Briggs-Bighill-
Nichols-Hallett

Lieghhio-Benson

Anyone I missed for a confirmed starter?
Adams hasn’t signed I don’t think.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lawler to bc maybe, according to Farhan.

Theyve made an offer thats it. Lawler is still exploring NFL and Bombers have a chance to submit their own deal before FA as well. They cant match the money, but does Lawler want to go to be a #3 WR in BC? Might affect his future deals past next year with less targets/catches/yards/tds in BC. Hard to say yet. WR im probably the least concerned with of all positions. American WR are a dime a dozen for the most part.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad