Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Toronto or Jones will offer him $200k

I’m guessing our ratio is 3OL, demski, Oliviera/Harris, Thomas/Briggs/hallett, woli

would think they ask Harris to take a pay cut

Yeah theyll probably be looking at that sane ratio they used last year as you posted.

I think Harris and Bombers will sit down and hash out a fair deal. Everyone knows the score. Harris im sure has absolutely no desire to go elsewhere, but still produces. Bombers have to re-sign him such a fan favourite, but they will likely have cap issues and its clear his role is reducing. Whether that number is lower than 2019/2021, idk, but i think both sides recognize a deal needs to be made on both sides.

I expect well get more clarity in the weeks to come. Right now they still have 20ish players to get back under contract asap.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
FIxBLatXwAQiaFv

FIxBLasWUAUI-Qf

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Too early to say for sure, but based on what we've seen/heard so far an early guess looks like...

Bryant* - Neufeld - Couture - Eli/Gray - Hardrick*
6th: Kolankowski

*= American
Red = Signed for 2022
I’m sure Bryant is the next signing - they need their OL in tact for Collaros

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Teams generally dont do this unless theres a good chance the player will be signed by an NFL team. So looks like Kongbo is taking one last run at NFL.

And another OL signed. Im guessing hes the #6 next year after spending most of 2021 on PR.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Glad the option year is coming back - releasing players for NFL tryouts is ridiculous.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
He was due to be a FA on Feb 8. The window is open for returning players to leave right now, this is just Bombers doing Kongbo a favour by releasing him a month early.
I mean in the sense that all these one year contracts etc seem to have grown out of the removal of the option year

None

Feb 22, 2012
Wow i didn't know there were qbs making well over $500k. What are we looking at for collaros? Kinda scary

BC and Edmonton have realized that it's tough to fill out the rest of the roster with any quality when a single player is making around 12-15% of the cap. I think there's already been a bit of a course correction and starting QBs will make around 400-500k and not much more.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wow i didn't know there were qbs making well over $500k. What are we looking at for collaros? Kinda scary

BC and Edmonton have realized that it's tough to fill out the rest of the roster with any quality when a single player is making around 12-15% of the cap. I think there's already been a bit of a course correction and starting QBs will make around 400-500k and not much more.

Collaros contract could get complicated for champs - TSN.ca

Not sure if this article is what sparked this, but a good read. Not very often do well deal in actual numbers in CFL, albeit thats changing a bit lately.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Collaros contract could get complicated for champs - TSN.ca

Not sure if this article is what sparked this, but a good read. Not very often do well deal in actual numbers in CFL, albeit thats changing a bit lately.

I hadn't read that until just now, it's kind of funny how close my numbers line up though :laugh:
I just remember that offseason where Bo Levi Mitchell and Mike Reilly were both free agents and Mitchell was using an NFL backup position as leverage and Reilly was just expected to make ~700k. BC also went out and spent a boat load for Sukh Chungh that year (or the one after?) and basically had no money left to fill out the roster.
And now QBs like Fajardo, Evans, and Arbuckle are all paid somewhere in the 325-450k range and then the more established guys are restructuring their contracts. I think the course correction was obvious, I remember thinking that there isn't a QB in the CFL that's worth what Mitchell and Reilly were making.

That said more related to the Collaros situation, it's tough because how much of it is Collaros being the top guy in the league and how much of it is the roster around him? If the difference between Collaros making 475k and 550k was re-signing 4 key players like Stanley Bryant, DeAundre Alford, Winston Rose, and Sergio Castillo do you take your chance finding another QB? :dunno:

Can't deny the results though, they've won 2 in a row with Collaros.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I hadn't read that until just now, it's kind of funny how close my numbers line up though :laugh:
I just remember that offseason where Bo Levi Mitchell and Mike Reilly were both free agents and Mitchell was using an NFL backup position as leverage and Reilly was just expected to make ~700k. BC also went out and spent a boat load for Sukh Chungh that year (or the one after?) and basically had no money left to fill out the roster.
And now QBs like Fajardo, Evans, and Arbuckle are all paid somewhere in the 325-450k range and then the more established guys are restructuring their contracts. I think the course correction was obvious, I remember thinking that there isn't a QB in the CFL that's worth what Mitchell and Reilly were making.

That said more related to the Collaros situation, it's tough because how much of it is Collaros being the top guy in the league and how much of it is the roster around him? If the difference between Collaros making 475k and 550k was re-signing 4 key players like Stanley Bryant, DeAundre Alford, Winston Rose, and Sergio Castillo do you take your chance finding another QB? :dunno:

Can't deny the results though, they've won 2 in a row with Collaros.
Fajardo makes $515 and arbuckle is $450

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Fajardo makes $515 and arbuckle is $450

Arbuckle's renegotiated from this month paid him 100K up front but the rest got turned into mostly bonuses. He can make up to 340K if he hits those bonuses (the 100k guaranteed included in that 340k). Not quite 450k.

I expect Fajardo to renegotiate down after his down year. I think Collaros will end up at 500k or so which will be highest in CFL. We'll make it up by having the cheapest backup in the league with McGuire. Price of having top end talent in a cap world, you have to take risks like trusting a guy like McGuire as a backup.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Jesse Luketa tops CFL Winter Scouting Bureau Rankings - CFL.ca

Looks like a weak OL draft, but a strong defensive draft. I dont really follow Usports or NCAA so I dont know much about any of these, just posting for reference. Always hard to say which might be looking NFL as well.

Interesting to see a Usports QB rated so highly. Twin brothers both rated top 5, both WR in school at Calgary haha.

I think the Bombers look DL in the 1st round though. Lost Kongbo (NFL) and Dheilly (Sask) and Thomas isnt getting any younger. Have to address that issue, IMO. But Bombers will err on BPA side though, its generally what they do.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Looks like a weak OL draft, but a strong defensive draft. I dont really follow Usports or NCAA so I dont know much about any of these, just posting for reference. Always hard to say which might be looking NFL as well.

Interesting to see a Usports QB rated so highly. Twin brothers both rated top 5, both WR in school at Calgary haha.

I think the Bombers look DL in the 1st round though. Lost Kongbo (NFL) and Dheilly (Sask) and Thomas isnt getting any younger. Have to address that issue, IMO. But Bombers will err on BPA side though, its generally what they do.

Any good FG kickers in the draft? :sarcasm:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

It all depends on who we lose to UFA but if our NI core remains in tact - I'd seriously look at Tre Ford in 2nd round.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Id bet he is going to replace Desjarlais at RG this year. Id honestly have preferred Eli until the missed GC since I feel he brings more versatility (more C experience) and more "snarl" than Gray but I think vaxxed status likely made this the only choice here. Only concern I have is that Chung then Desjarlais were our "mauler" type of OL, none of the 5 I project bring that as much, but its probably an unwarranted concern.

Bryant and Couture yet to go on OL.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Id bet he is going to replace Desjarlais at RG this year. Id honestly have preferred Eli until the missed GC since I feel he brings more versatility (more C experience) and more "snarl" than Gray but I think vaxxed status likely made this the only choice here. Only concern I have is that Chung then Desjarlais were our "mauler" type of OL, none of the 5 I project bring that as much, but its probably an unwarranted concern.

Bryant and Couture yet to go on OL.

I thought Gray played some tackle or am I wrong?

Really like this signing - Gray is a top talent who has obviously put team first. Can't have enough of those guys.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Gray got into the starting lineup when Neuf was hurt a few years back, he is still fairly young and as long as he has Bryant next to him should be a good replacement for Desjarlais

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad