Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

They continually talked about Mourtada's fundamentals being great. He really mostly struggled with the kicks from the hashmarks, the big width of CFL field. So probably brought back for a few reasons.

1) Favour to Mourtada, let him get some hopefully good tape down in pre-season.
2) Hopefully full off-season to practice the angles he might figure it out.
3) Insurance in case negotiations with Castillo go sideways, Liegghio still struggles with kicks, no other find by scouting staff.
4) Probably league min with no bonus money so no real downside.

Borsa is one Im glad to see. He was a draft slider due to a failed Usport drug test, but could be a steal if he has stopped with peds obviously. Replaces Augustine as #3 for now, imo as Augustine moves into a starting role elsewhere.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Borsa is one Im glad to see. He was a draft slider due to a failed Usport drug test, but could be a steal if he has stopped with peds obviously.

Gotta be honest, the photo they have of him in that article made my eyebrows rise :laugh: . That is very lean muscle, maybe even too lean for contact sport.

People have joked about Harris having a dad bod for years :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They're called PEDs for a reason. Without them, he might drop from "steal" to "wasted pick".

5th round in a CFL draft? 1 game played is a win, very hard to say wasted pick. A potential starting RB down the road on the other hand is great.

Also Harris never lost anything it could be a misunderstanding like that (mistaken masking agent so not even gaining advantage).

5th Rounders
2021: RB Kyle Borsa (returned to uni)
2020: K/P Marc Liegghio (even if he ends just as a punter its a steal)
2020: DL Nic Dheilly (played 2-4 games in 2021 before released and signed at home in Sask)
2019: WR Malik Richards (never made roster)
2018: WR Tyrone Pierre (never made roster)
2016: OL Zachery Intzandt (never made roster)

We're known as great drafting team since Walters took over.

Last edited:

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
If this is obvious, I apologize but why is our 4th round pick 38 instead of 36 and so on through the remainder of the draft.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If this is obvious, I apologize but why is our 4th round pick 38 instead of 36 and so on through the remainder of the draft.

Not a dumb question but an obscure one that isnt talked about much. A few years ago, maybe 2-3, the CFL started whats called "territorial" picks. The two worst teams in the league get these extra picks. These picks are extra picks inserted at the end of 2nd round. They cannot be traded. With these picks the teams may only select players from their "territory".

So this year Edmonton received pick 19 as a territorial pick and Ottawa received pick 20 as a territorial pick. But they will be limited to picks from their own protected area. Not sure on limits of the "territories" though, like does EDM get all AB or just U of A players or whether its birth place instead of school, idk.

There were no teams granted territorial picks in 2021 due to no 2020. In 2020 draft Ottawa took LB Dan Basambombo from Laval (not sure where hes from originally) and TOR took DL Samuel Acheampong from Wilfried Laurier (from Brampton originally).

EDIT: looks like its birth place. In 2019 TOR took DB Matthew Boateng from Fresno State (originally from Ajax) and Montreal took OL Samuel Thomassin from Laval (no info on where from originally) with the two territorial picks.

Heres article announcing it.
CFL Draft to feature territorial picks - CFL.ca

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Blue Bombers add to roster - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

QB Dru Brown
DL Cedric Wilcots
DB Mike Hampton

Very minor names brought in, all american. At least right now minor names. Alford is an example of a random signing in offseason similiar to this, but as were the other 15 dbs who got cut in camp so who knows. Brown of course was #3 guy this year, other two appear to be new names to Bombers but dont quote me on that.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Not a dumb question but an obscure one that isnt talked about much. A few years ago, maybe 2-3, the CFL started whats called "territorial" picks. The two worst teams in the league get these extra picks. These picks are extra picks inserted at the end of 2nd round. They cannot be traded. With these picks the teams may only select players from their "territory".

So this year Edmonton received pick 19 as a territorial pick and Ottawa received pick 20 as a territorial pick. But they will be limited to picks from their own protected area. Not sure on limits of the "territories" though, like does EDM get all AB or just U of A players or whether its birth place instead of school, idk.

There were no teams granted territorial picks in 2021 due to no 2020. In 2020 draft Ottawa took LB Dan Basambombo from Laval (not sure where hes from originally) and TOR took DL Samuel Acheampong from Wilfried Laurier (from Brampton originally).

EDIT: looks like its birth place. In 2019 TOR took DB Matthew Boateng from Fresno State (originally from Ajax) and Montreal took OL Samuel Thomassin from Laval (no info on where from originally) with the two territorial picks.

Heres article announcing it.
CFL Draft to feature territorial picks - CFL.ca
Thanks Holden. I thought you would probably know.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
McIntyre had this in his 2022 predictions article.

-- Rod Black becomes the new voice of the Bombers: To be clear, I have zero inside knowledge of this. But someone has to replace the legendary Bob Irving, who hung up his microphone last month. Why not Black, a Winnipegger who was calling three-down games for TSN up until his sudden departure this past fall. It makes plenty of sense.

No, Mike. It makes no sense, given that he's an incompetent buffoon with no end of disdain for the city that spawned him. Should we try and steal Suitor away to become our colour guy, Mike? :thumbd:

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island

-- Rod Black becomes the new voice of the Bombers: To be clear, I have zero inside knowledge of this. But someone has to replace the legendary Bob Irving, who hung up his microphone last month. Why not Black, a Winnipegger who was calling three-down games for TSN up until his sudden departure this past fall. It makes plenty of sense.

No, Mike. It makes no sense, given that he's an incompetent buffoon with no end of disdain for the city that spawned him. Should we try and steal Suitor away to become our colour guy, Mike? :thumbd:
This is by far the worst idea I've come across so far in 2022... When Black is on the job, I always mute the broadcast. He makes people dumber by listening to him. It's astounding that after all those years in the business he remains so ignorant of the game itself.

But I guess seniority and 'who you know' matters more in certain industries than ability and knowledge.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
This is by far the worst idea I've come across so far in 2022... When Black is on the job, I always mute the broadcast. He makes people dumber by listening to him. It's astounding that after all those years in the business he remains so ignorant of the game itself.

But I guess seniority and 'who you know' matters more in certain industries than ability and knowledge.

The problem with Black is his lack of (CFL) game awareness and in game knowledge. That disconnect causes him to often look foolish. Probably the product of broadcasting so many different sports in his career that he never really become an expert in any of them. I have no problem with his actual voice or even PBP style. He's like a substitute teacher. Often over emphasizing things that do not require it. And vice versa. Even good substitute teachers will always lack classroom dynamics and knowledge. That's how I see Black.

Last edited:

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

Ah F——ing HELL NO!

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I rather have Rod Pedersen to be the new Bombers voice. Knows CFL inside and out. He's from Saskatchewan but so is Bob Irving ;)

If he;s good at it, Darrin Bauming also comes to mind as a logical choice. Although he may be a bit black balled by the Bombers.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Never watched the Simpsons but being mentioned there is a big thing. Bombers are now officially legendary

That sounds a lot like Hank Azaria doing his Brockmire character. Loved that show, although the final season got weird even by Brockmire standards.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I rather have Rod Pedersen to be the new Bombers voice. Knows CFL inside and out. He's from Saskatchewan but so is Bob Irving ;)

If he;s good at it, Darrin Bauming also comes to mind as a logical choice. Although he may be a bit black balled by the Bombers.

Why is Bauming blackballed?

Given that Irving's retirement was expected I would imagine CJOB must have been scouting talent for a replacement for a while. I wouldn't be shocked if they had someone already lined up.

But that said, to me, the prototype for a replacement is someone like Dustin Nielson. Young, energetic and with an obvious passion for the game and for the league. Someone able and willing to do the job for a long time... I certainly appreciated the continuity that Bob Irving brought and I hope his replacement will as well. Although I'm sure either one could handle the job, I don't really see Rod or Darrin as being cut from that cloth so I wouldn't consider them ideal for the long term.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Given that Irving's retirement was expected I would imagine CJOB must have been scouting talent for a replacement for a while. I wouldn't be shocked if they had someone already lined up.

But that said, to me, the prototype for a replacement is someone like Dustin Nielson. Young, energetic and with an obvious passion for the game and for the league. Someone able and willing to do the job for a long time... I certainly appreciated the continuity that Bob Irving brought and I hope his replacement will as well. Although I'm sure either one could handle the job, I don't really see Rod or Darrin as being cut from that cloth so I wouldn't consider them ideal for the long term.

I think theres still alot of built up frusteration from a segment of the fanbase about Bauming leaving Harris off his year end awards voting lists in 2019 due his suspension. He wasnt the only one to do it, but he was one of the only ones who came forward and tried to say his side of it. Rubbed some ppl the wrong way.

I disagreed strongly with his reasoning and told him that. We had to agree to disagree on that. Ive chatted with Darrin from time to time, some somewhat distant friends of mine from way back were (are?) friends with him. So like I know who he is, he knows who I am and I chat with him once in a blue moon still, so I guess it was easy for me to forgive and forget. Still I think 98% of people have moved on by now.

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

My own personal speculation based on what Holden Caulfield detailed in the previous post.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
That's interesting. If true I would say that's a legitimate stance for Bauming to take, it's not like it was some unwarranted attack on Harris. Reasonable people could disagree on that issue.

Even though sports teams seem to behave that way with the media, you can't really expect someone who isn't on your payroll to tow the company line all the time. That's what the PR guys like Ed Tait are for.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Canadian OL Drew Desjarlais drawing significant interest from NFL teams | 3DownNation

Looks like Desjarlais is going to be NFL bound. Nichols, Alford, Desjarlais, Lawler at least already working out for NFL teams looking at potential contracts. Could be a rough year for losses to down south. However I'm ok with those losses as I'm happy for the players involved. Side benefit is it builds the reputation as an org players want to go to since they help move players onto down south for big money.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Losing any offensive linemen will hurt. I've been worried about Stanley Bryant or Jermarcus Hardrick just up and retiring without the Bombers having real options behind them.

Desjarlais has that aggressiveness that the Bombers interior had been missing for a while. Happy for him to be getting looks as much as it hurts the Bombers.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The obvious choice to replace Bob is the younger guy on cjob. Garrity or Mcgarrity(I don't listen radio much) he was basically being trained thus year. Brad Mcgarrity?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Losing any offensive linemen will hurt. I've been worried about Stanley Bryant or Jermarcus Hardrick just up and retiring without the Bombers having real options behind them.

Desjarlais has that aggressiveness that the Bombers interior had been missing for a while. Happy for him to be getting looks as much as it hurts the Bombers.

Meh Im not too worried about losing interior OL. Eli has that nastiness if they can get him vaxxed. Gray has the natural skill to be a star at guard. Kolankowski they are high on as well as a C/G. I dont agree that they missed that nastiness they had Sukh Chung for that. They then transitioned quickly into Desjarlais and never missed a beat. 9th overall pick could be OL if they are desperate (looks like DL, DB, WR heavy draft though).

Your right the tackles are tough. But they have more than enough room to use two americans at tackle. Either one would be tough to handle but manageable probably. You can find good american tackles. Both would be catastrophic though I agree on that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad