Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Farhan Lalji's also saying that there has been discussion between Harris and the Bombers so :dunno:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Bombers are just taking the pragmatic approach to negotiations and pointing out that it's harder and harder to keep him upright and healthy enough to be taking 20+ touches a game. Especially considering we're very likely going back to a full 18 game schedule this year.

Yeah, Bob Irving also reported the Bombers made an initial offer and left it at that.

What it comes down to is do you want to bring Harris back for one maybe two more years while anticipating he will further decline while letting the young Canadian RBs walk? Or would it be better to retain the young — you can get at least another two years (probably a more productive two years at this point too) out of Augustine and 5+ out of Oliveira.

It stings because of how much Harris means to the team and this city but it’s much more logical to take the Bombers’ current approach here.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm guessing Ellingson is probably significantly cheaper if Adams isn't willing to take a pay cut.

Ellingson would be the Lawler replacement, not Adams. Sounds like Bombers didnt even offer a contract to Adams, its not about money. I think they are looking rookie for Adams spot, cheaper/younger/faster.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I wouldnt say "locked in" but pretty sure. I've heard a disproportionate amount of talk about this guy for a 5th/6th rounder and they got him locked up very fast. They like the upside he brings, he was rumoured to be 2nd/3rd rounder before the PED suspension and he had a standout senior year at Regina.

Agree with pretty much everything here. Just really hope he signs somewhere other than Sask. But then again considering the way Melon heads talk about Harris its be hilarious if they were cheering for him as well.
Take a gander at the riderfans forum. They’ve spent the past couple years since the PED scandal condemning Harris to be hanged, drawn, and quartered. The irony of them rooting for him in his last season would be the one redeeming factor about him going there

None

Feb 22, 2012
Ellingson would be the Lawler replacement, not Adams. Sounds like Bombers didnt even offer a contract to Adams, its not about money. I think they are looking rookie for Adams spot, cheaper/younger/faster.

I was looking at it more from a slot receiver leaving for another slot receiver than actual production replacement. I'm guessing he'll be more productive than Adams from the slot but less productive than Lawler who was primarily used as a wideout. The Bombers have had poor luck bringing in veteran receivers recently though.
I meant significantly cheaper than what he (Ellingson) was previously making which was north of 200k apparently.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I was looking at it more from a slot receiver leaving for another slot receiver than actual production replacement. I'm guessing he'll be more productive than Adams from the slot but less productive than Lawler who was primarily used as a wideout. The Bombers have had poor luck bringing in veteran receivers recently though.
I meant significantly cheaper than what he (Ellingson) was previously making which was north of 200k apparently.

Adams primarily played short side wideout, Lawler, Bailey, Demski in the slot. I think Ellingson would be in the slot in Lawlers position primarily. They mixed and matched alot though, very fluid backfield Winnipeg employs.

And yes I think your right Ellingson would be much cheaper than his previous deal. Hes certainly not beating Burnham who signed for ~185k iirc.

Agreed recent track record hasnt been great on veteran WR, but this is the first time in awhile theyd have real opportunity in that WR corps. Back when Adams was faster they were signjng guys like Bowman, Matthews to be WR4/5 primarily at short side wideout. First time in awhile theyve got room for a top end guy. All this is assuming Lawler leaves.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Adams primarily played short side wideout, Lawler, Bailey, Demski in the slot. I think Ellingson would be in the slot in Lawlers position primarily. They mixed and matched alot though, very fluid backfield Winnipeg employs.

I might be remembering wrong but I'm like 99% sure that Adams primarily played weak side slot beside Lawler who was typically the wideout.

Edit:
Either way, no big deal. Shuffling the deck at receiver isn't a huge deal. Ellingson might end up working out a lot better as a quick hit option for Collaros. It felt like that used to be Wolitarsky but he just didn't seem to be a great target last season.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Love what Walters has been able to accomplish thus far. I would be happy with Ellingson as a Lawler replacement (would prefer Lawler obviously, but we can't afford him). Ellingson would be a good fit for Colloros arm strength. Go get a young fast import for cheap to try to spread the field. Last year we really didn't have a consistent deep threat anyway and still won consistently. Ellingson will fit in well in that regard.

And, I don't get the Sheepdogs either. Very average in my mind, but to each their own.

None

Feb 22, 2012

Ok Lawler is gone. Hes a great WR but thats insane.

It's wild seeing CFL teams throw these huge chunks of the salary cap around every offseason. It's hard to imagine any receiver is individually worth like 6% of the cap.
Literally just got out of the short-lived era of QBs making 12-15% of the cap :laugh:

I wonder if it's teams trying to make up for lack of quality at OL by throwing excessive money at "skilled" positions.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It's wild seeing CFL teams throw these huge chunks of the salary cap around every offseason. It's hard to imagine any receiver is individually worth like 6% of the cap.
Literally just got out of the short-lived era of QBs making 12-15% of the cap :laugh:

I wonder if it's teams trying to make up for lack of quality at OL by throwing excessive money at "skilled" positions.
You can do that when you have half the budget at QB as every other team…

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Take a gander at the riderfans forum. They’ve spent the past couple years since the PED scandal condemning Harris to be hanged, drawn, and quartered. The irony of them rooting for him in his last season would be the one redeeming factor about him going there
Brilliant. Shows the blatant hypocrisy of so many sports fans. Could you imagine if the Jets traded Schief to Montreal?

Overall I'm very pleased with the Bombers' offseason so far. Walters doing good things. He seems to be really good at prioritizing signings and working systematically through it. It looks like a much more intense job than for hockey since the negotiations are pretty much annual for most players...

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
If I was the team I would offer contracts to Harris and Adams even if they're getting old now. Loyalty isn't nothing.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If I was the team I would offer contracts to Harris and Adams even if they're getting old now. Loyalty isn't nothing.

Harris did receive an offer. I'm sure the team talked to Adams. With both I think the problem was likely more role than money, to be honest.

This is the last thing you have to worry about with this Bombers management. The Bombers have gone from the team no one wanted to play for to the gold standard, and they all talk about how the team treats them. Even the guys who move on don't have anything bad to say.

Already confirmed that both Michael Couture and Brady Oliveira, and almost assuredly Jarmarcus Hardrick, Adam Bighill, Willie Jefferson, and Stanley Bryant as well, took discounts to stay in Winnipeg. Probably not the only ones.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I have zero doubt that they've left room cap wise to sign Harris if he's willing to accept a reduced role (and salary that comes with that). I still think he can be the best player on every snap as long as he's healthy, the problem is keeping him healthy enough at his age down the stretch and into the playoffs.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018

It's tough when your total salary cap is roughly 5, 350, 000 and only 400, 000 in signing bonuses. As has been mentioned I don't think Adams was in the plans for this season anyways. The Bombers can airlift in a ton of American WR's on the cheap and find one or two that can play.

Harris is likely a different story. The Bombers would love to have him no doubt but off of last season and being 35 he can't expect number one all league running back money. He may still sign but even without injuries I believe he will be part of a time share. Augustine and Oliviera won't be left to rot on the vine.

Reactions: jetsforever

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Sign Harris to a fake coaching contract like dickwad just did with bowman and Arceneau in Edmonton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad