Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Really surprising, wonder why we couldn't make it work
He's a legend either way though and it was great to have a run with him

Adams too was a great guy for us - sad to see the two of them go
It's sad that he's gone but not that surprising. Harris believes he can still be a number one running back in the league and he still wants to play. But injuries really hampered him last year and Harris has maybe one or two years left. Better to keep Oliveira and Augustine here long-term than to keep a declining Harris for one or two years.

It's unfortunate and I never envisioned it ending this way but that's sports.

At least he didn't go to Suckskatchewan.

Thank you, AH33

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Really surprising, wonder why we couldn't make it work
He's a legend either way though and it was great to have a run with him

Adams too was a great guy for us - sad to see the two of them go

24yo Oliveira and 28yo Augustine. They needed more touches going forward. They offered Harris a contract, but its likely with the cavaet that its not "his" backfield anymore but rather all 3 will see time. It seems likely Harris wasnt ready to move on from being a workhorse. Bombers cant gamble everything on a 35yo who has maybe 1-2 years left when Oliveira has 5+ years and Augustine who knows but at least 2-3 years. No way to get all 3 it seems since they all (rightfully) want the ball.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Recap today for those that missed it. Fairly typical for championship teams its nearly impossible to return all the pieces, and theres plenty of big losses but the core is intact, IMO. Bombers look positioned well to make another run despite this list today.

In
WR Greg Ellingson (EDM)

Out
WR Kenny Lawler (EDM)
RB Andrew Harris (TOR)
WR Darvin Adams (OTT)
DB Alden Darby (OTT)
DT Steven Richardson (BC)
DB Mike Jones (MTL)
DE Tobi Antigha (EDM)

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Recap today for those that missed it. Fairly typical for championship teams its nearly impossible to return all the pieces, and theres plenty of big losses but the core is intact, IMO. Bombers look positioned well to make another run despite this list today.

In
WR Greg Ellingson (EDM)

Out
WR Kenny Lawler (EDM)
RB Andrew Harris (TOR)
WR Darvin Adams (OTT)
DB Alden Darby (OTT)
DB Mike Jones (MTL)
DE Tobi Antigha (EDM)
In summary (IMO of course):

In
WR Greg Ellingson (EDM) - Adams replacement

Out
WR Kenny Lawler (EDM) - Will be missed, not at his contract though. American WRs are dime a dozen so we'll be OK.
RB Andrew Harris (TOR) - Sucks for sentimental reasons, but the right decision.
WR Darvin Adams (OTT) -Similar to Harris. Also, American WRs are dime a dozen so we'll be OK.
DB Alden Darby (OTT) - A shame but ultimately replaceable.
DT Steven Richardson (BC) - Sayles should be able to mostly replace him. Probably the piece on the D line we could most afford to lose.
DB Mike Jones (MTL) - He's good but was just a backup here anyway. Maston/Rose are back and American DBs are dime a dozen so we'll be OK.
DE Tobi Antigha (EDM) Largely inconsequential, IMO.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
In summary (IMO of course):

In
WR Greg Ellingson (EDM) - Adams replacement

Out
WR Kenny Lawler (EDM) - Will be missed, not at his contract though. American WRs are dime a dozen so we'll be OK.
RB Andrew Harris (TOR) - Sucks for sentimental reasons, but the right decision.
WR Darvin Adams (OTT) -Similar to Harris. Also, American WRs are dime a dozen so we'll be OK.
DB Alden Darby (OTT) - A shame but ultimately replaceable.
DT Steven Richardson (BC) - Sayles should be able to mostly replace him. Probably the piece on the D line we could most afford to lose.
DB Mike Jones (MTL) - He's good but was just a backup here anyway. Maston/Rose are back and American DBs are dime a dozen so we'll be OK.
DE Tobi Antigha (EDM) Largely inconsequential, IMO.

Keep seeing the Ellingson as Adams replacement. Sorry but hes the Lawler replacement in the slot. Its just bugging me seeing this so much haha. See the below quote from Walters today.

Free Agency update - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

"Well, once we realized what was going on with the Kenny Lawler contract status, and his agent was very open and honest with me throughout the process that it was going to be very difficult – impossible – to re-sign Kenny at those numbers. We started looking at various other options last week and trying to get something worked out. Greg brings in a veteran presence, we know him, and Zach (Collaros) have a relationship (from their days in Hamilton) and we expect him to come in and provide some stability and play that slotback position.”

Completely agree on the rest. Note i just put Antigha for completeness sake, he played ~4 games this year, healthy scratch or PR almost all year. Completely inconsequential would be more accurate lol.

Reactions: snowkiddin

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

In
WR Greg Ellingson (EDM)

Out
WR Kenny Lawler (EDM)
RB Andrew Harris (TOR)
WR Darvin Adams (OTT)
DB Alden Darby (OTT)
DB Mike Jones (MTL)
DE Tobi Antigha (EDM)
Ottawa spent a fair bit of coin and signed Masoli… going to be interesting if they can make that gel

Harris should get a lot of touches in Toronto - never like giving up a heart and soul guy like that

stove really shut down the run - I don’t see styles or walker as a replacement but our scouts are good at finding DL

I’m torn about letting Adams and lawler walk - they make big plays when we need them - I guess health is a concern but we can’t use age as an excuse to ditch Adams when we sign ellingson - that being said collaros makes guys look good

Reactions: jetsforever

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I think Harris is a bigger loss than management thinks. I heard Hustler put it that the CFL is about one year at a time. I think he had at least one more good year in him and he wss the emotional leader. he willed the win in the Western Final.
Without him I think they close that game!
However, keeping the defence basically intact should help just need a new emotional leader. Not easy to find

p.s. Richardson was an amazing run stopper he will be missed

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Our oline is pretty much the same? Honestly i think that is the biggest thing for a championship team, i think the receivers are interchangeable for the most part, especially with many returning and a solid QB.

Our D was also great. With guys that we lost, we should still have solid D, I assume?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I think Harris is a bigger loss than management thinks. I heard Hustler put it that the CFL is about one year at a time. I think he had at least one more good year in him and he wss the emotional leader. he willed the win in the Western Final.
Without him I think they close that game!
However, keeping the defence basically intact should help just need a new emotional leader. Not easy to find

p.s. Richardson was an amazing run stopper he will be missed
He is getting old and we have high end talent to replace him imo. I don't think it will effect us that much, but he was a great team guy.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Keep seeing the Ellingson as Adams replacement. Sorry but hes the Lawler replacement in the slot. Its just bugging me seeing this so much haha. See the below quote from Walters today.

Free Agency update - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

"Well, once we realized what was going on with the Kenny Lawler contract status, and his agent was very open and honest with me throughout the process that it was going to be very difficult – impossible – to re-sign Kenny at those numbers. We started looking at various other options last week and trying to get something worked out. Greg brings in a veteran presence, we know him, and Zach (Collaros) have a relationship (from their days in Hamilton) and we expect him to come in and provide some stability and play that slotback position.”

Completely agree on the rest. Note i just put Antigha for completeness sake, he played ~4 games this year, healthy scratch or PR almost all year. Completely inconsequential would be more accurate lol.
I'm thinking the Ellingson comparisons are more production-wise than actually where he plays. Adams was more or less the #4/5 receiver last year and had 441 yards receiving. He was a veteran receiver who was still productive but past his peak. Hopefully Ellingson will be the same: a veteran who can still put up respectable numbers. Replacing Lawler's production will not be easy, obviously. They'll hope to hit on an American rookie but even then it could take more than a year for him to break out.

Reactions: Fairview

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Esks with $500k+ tied up in Lawler and Korte… and no kickers

i would suspect that walters re-signing most of our OL and DL didn’t leave much left even with ‘home team’ discounts

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
We lost some real good players today but we all knew that we could not bring all of them back and that might not be a bad thing, I expect management will find a diamond in the rough over the next few months to bring in for training camp. I also expect a few veterans to shake loose from other teams in the next while who the Bombers might take a look at if the price is right

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ottawa spent a fair bit of coin and signed Masoli… going to be interesting if they can make that gel

Harris should get a lot of touches in Toronto - never like giving up a heart and soul guy like that

stove really shut down the run - I don’t see styles or walker as a replacement but our scouts are good at finding DL

I’m torn about letting Adams and lawler walk - they make big plays when we need them - I guess health is a concern but we can’t use age as an excuse to ditch Adams when we sign ellingson - that being said collaros makes guys look good

Ottawa also only had like 11 guys under contract this morning. BC and EDM had the money sinxe they are both very cheap at QB, OTT had next to no one under contract. Not surprising those guys led the way today.

Id bet Oliveira and Augustine duo is much more effective than Harris this year. It sucks, it was fantastic what Harris could do, but both tgose guys have more "pop" in their step than Harris has left, IMO. I think the Bomber maybe could have gotten another year out of Harris, but now theyve got Oliveira and Augustine for 2 and both are very excitibg going forward. Bailey, Hardrick are great leaders on this team already on O, IMO.

Bombers biggest weakness was against the run on D last year, with or without Richardson. Imo he was a better pass rusher than run stopper. Gotta love the will for a small guy Richardson to do what he does, but Sayles will be better next year. Better size, more athletic. Hes got great upside.

Age isnt just about numbers. Some guys lose it quicker than others. Adams had alot of trouble seperating last year. Honestly dont remember a catch of his that wasnt a broken coverage. I think theyll bring in some dynamic WRs into camp. Ellingson might be just as old but isnt showing it as much...yet. We'll see on the field.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
What also sucks is the Bombers don’t play Toronto at home this year. If Harris retires after this season he won’t get a real send off from Bomber fans

Best case scenario is that he gets a great sendoff after he retires. Won't be too long now and this Bomber management will do their utmost to make it happen.

Lots of high-level competitive athletes like Harris simply can't see the end coming, so there may be some tough emotions to deal with in the short term...but they will pass in time.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm thinking the Ellingson comparisons are more production-wise than actually where he plays. Adams was more or less the #4/5 receiver last year and had 441 yards receiving. He was a veteran receiver who was still productive but past his peak. Hopefully Ellingson will be the same: a veteran who can still put up respectable numbers. Replacing Lawler's production will not be easy, obviously. They'll hope to hit on an American rookie but even then it could take more than a year for him to break out.
If you look at Ellingson’s numbers, he is absolutely comparable to Lawler…

Lawler had one huge year and chemistry with Collaros - likely because Harris was out and not a prime target anymore

If Ellingson is less than half of Lawlers $$ this is a huge steal

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I personally think Masoli is washed but he can't be much worse than what Ottawa had last year.

Harris will get a lot of touches as long as he's healthy, he probably just won't be as effective. He's certainly showing his age and 35 is ancient for a running back. Stove was more of a pass rushing DT and perhaps the one weakness our D had last year was stopping the run. Sayles was fine when he played. I'm fine with Adams leaving - if we go young there we can save on some cap and probably get similar production while developing a guy. Ellingson should be able to replace his production even if he's playing a different position. Lawler sucks but his contract is laughable at best and a disaster at worst. He's great but he's not generational or anything (well if he were, he'd be going to the NFL haha). It'll be tough to be replace his production but you can find good American WRs at a fraction of the cost and we simply couldn't afford to keep everyone.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
He is getting old and we have high end talent to replace him imo. I don't think it will effect us that much, but he was a great team guy.

i hope so i will never forget him pacing on the sidelines during that game just getting revved up and takin control of the game.

Sad to see him go out like this . he should have retired a Bomber not playing for the Argos in front of 500 fans

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Best case scenario is that he gets a great sendoff after he retires. Won't be too long now and this Bomber management will do their utmost to make it happen.

Lots of high-level competitive athletes like Harris simply can't see the end coming, so there may be some tough emotions to deal with in the short term...but they will pass in time.
Well lots of GMs misjudge aging vets as well… just ask Buono…

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Rookies arent going to be #1's. I think rather than a true #1 like Lawler the team going to look at Ellingson and hopefully a big step from Bailey gives them a solid 2 #2s. I expect to see more Demski, Wolitarsky as well as any rookie replacing Adams than we used last year. As well I expect Oliveira and Augustine to be used out of the back field more, Harris' receiving numbers plummeted to career lows last year.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
To be a contributing RB at 35 is quite a feat and Harris will help the Argos if he stays healthy, but taking a pounding of an 18 game schedule as the feature back might not work out that well for him physically

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Ottawa also only had like 11 guys under contract this morning. BC and EDM had the money sinxe they are both very cheap at QB, OTT had next to no one under contract. Not surprising those guys led the way today.

Id bet Oliveira and Augustine duo is much more effective than Harris this year. It sucks, it was fantastic what Harris could do, but both tgose guys have more "pop" in their step than Harris has left, IMO. I think the Bomber maybe could have gotten another year out of Harris, but now theyve got Oliveira and Augustine for 2 and both are very excitibg going forward. Bailey, Hardrick are great leaders on this team already on O, IMO.

Bombers biggest weakness was against the run on D last year, with or without Richardson. Imo he was a better pass rusher than run stopper. Gotta love the will for a small guy Richardson to do what he does, but Sayles will be better next year. Better size, more athletic. Hes got great upside.

Age isnt just about numbers. Some guys lose it quicker than others. Adams had alot of trouble seperating last year. Honestly dont remember a catch of his that wasnt a broken coverage. I think theyll bring in some dynamic WRs into camp. Ellingson might be just as old but isnt showing it as much...yet. We'll see on the field.

Would not be too surprised if Harris has a mediocre year. He will be missed but luckily we have replacements equivalent, if not better.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Lol. I was typing something very similar to this at the same time as Holden. This is bang on. When have we ever come to an agreement on so much :laugh:

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
To be a contributing RB at 35 is quite a feat and Harris will help the Argos if he stays healthy, but taking a pounding of an 18 game schedule as the feature back might not work out that well for him physically
What kind of O-line do they have in Toronto? That could be a major factor in how well Harris does there, if they can't open holes for him and he has to do it himself, that could lead to more injuries.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Rookies arent going to be #1's. I think rather than a true #1 like Lawler the team going to look at Ellingson and hopefully a big step from Bailey gives them a solid 2 #2s. I expect to see more Demski, Wolitarsky as well as any rookie replacing Adams than we used last year. As well I expect Oliveira and Augustine to be used out of the back field more, Harris' receiving numbers plummeted to career lows last year.
Yeah, you might still get a breakout year from an American rookie but he won't be that true #1 WR on day one that Lawler would've been. But I believe Lawler was only a second year player for us. Might be wrong on the dates. But he hasn't been here long which goes to show how quickly you can develop star American receivers if the talent is there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad