Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Yeah, you might still get a breakout year from an American rookie but he won't be that true #1 WR on day one that Lawler would've been. But I believe Lawler was only a second year player for us. Might be wrong on the dates. But he hasn't been here long which goes to show how quickly you can develop star American receivers if the talent is there.
Didn't he also get released from BC before coming here? What was the story there I wonder.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Rookies arent going to be #1's. I think rather than a true #1 like Lawler the team going to look at Ellingson and hopefully a big step from Bailey gives them a solid 2 #2s. I expect to see more Demski, Wolitarsky as well as any rookie replacing Adams than we used last year. As well I expect Oliveira and Augustine to be used out of the back field more, Harris' receiving numbers plummeted to career lows last year.

Harris definitely lost a step and was not a major threat for YAC but he could twist his way out o a pile like no other runningback could. Anyway, it is done now.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Lol. I was typing something very similar to this at the same time as Holden. This is bang on. When have we ever come to an agreement on so much :laugh:
Not sure where you guys are getting this oss rusher thing… we shut down wilder and Stanbeck after stove returned in October - prior to that we were not great against the run at all

5’11 300lbs are run stoppers not pass rushers - stove excelled at both by collapsing the middle - that being said, I liked Nevis too and stove made us forget about him

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Not sure where you guys are getting this oss rusher thing… we shut down wilder and Stanbeck after stove returned in October - prior to that we were not great against the run at all

5’11 300lbs are run stoppers not pass rushers - stove excelled at both by collapsing the middle - that being said, I liked Nevis too and stove made us forget about him

Nevis might be a nice cheap add in a few days actually. Played only 1 game of a 2 year deal (pandemic then injuries), probably comes dirt cheap. First half Halletts likely starting at S means we can run 4 US DL if we want, so we could have Sayles and Nevis in the middle with Thomas and Walker/rookie rotating in.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It was inevitable Harris was going to go once Olivera broke out sadly.

Younger, cheaper Canadian back vs a admittedly beloved local legend who looked like he was starting to see the years of hard running catching up to him. That's just the way she goes.

Harris will be missed given how much he meant to the city and the back to back titles, but sometimes you just gotta go your separate ways.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

He was certainly talented and I think instilled a culture change (of winning) on the field, but I've still never bought his BS tainted supplements excuse when he got popped.

I'm not saying that I only criticize him for it as I bet a good chunk of players in the CFL are or have used something illegal but I just can't stand the playing dumb "I didn't know!!!"

Good on him for hopefully getting a big payday before retirement and he brought the city two GCs so I doubt anybody can hate him for cashing in.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The awesome silver lining to losing all these guys is that we just won 2 Grey Cups with them!

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Change is inevitable. Especially in the CFL. In my opinion,Walters has done a pretty good job this offseason.

Sure, it would have been great to see Harris come back ,but at 35 father time is coming and its likely more important to make the tansition now before our two younger Canadian backs went elsewhere.

Danny Mac has some work to down in the US to bring some quality receivers in to camp.

Back up QB is a concern. Would not signing Harris or the big money recievers allow us to offer something to Streveler? or will he kick around NFL practice rosters for more money?

We can always adress the K position mid -season if it isnt working out.

Overall we are in a good position.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I had my post already about how impressed I was with Harris’s tenure as a Bomber but father time is undefeated and Andrew is 35 which is ancient for an RB. He might have one more solid season in him “if” he puts in the work this off season at the gym but the curtain is coming down.

I wish the legend nothing but the best but Walters did what he had to do.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No salary on the Harris contract yet? I really wonder what he'll get...

Sad go see him go, but I trust Walters.

Not huge money but certainly starter money. I think the Bombers likely could have come close to this offer though, as I've said since the start this is more role than money.

Seems quite strange that Hansen has not signed anywhere...

Bit curious. I wonder if teams are hesistant since they arent sure if the Global initiative will make it through the CBA talks in the spring. Some of the players have been backlashing against it pretty hard. Hansen would be a very valuable guy as a Global or even if he counted as Canadian, but not sure he would crack the roster as an import going against Americans.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Not huge money but certainly starter money. I think the Bombers likely could have come close to this offer though, as I've said since the start this is more role than money.

Bit curious. I wonder if teams are hesistant since they arent sure if the Global initiative will make it through the CBA talks in the spring. Some of the players have been backlashing against it pretty hard. Hansen would be a very valuable guy as a Global or even if he counted as Canadian, but not sure he would crack the roster as an import going against Americans.

Sounds like some disagreement about Harris getting a preseason physical

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers covet experienced backup quarterback as Sean McGuire retires | 3DownNation

McGuire retired to join law federal law enforcement.

If the Bombers want an experienced backup, the QBs remaining on FA that started at least one game in 2021 are David Watford and....Matt Nichols. Not much of a list. Nichols is considering retirement as well. We'll see what happens here, but QB depth is unlikely to be a strength.

For those wondering they have reached out to Strevelers camp. He is 100% focused on NFL at this time. It might end up easier/cheaper to get him later in the summer if no NFL options emerge, but dont count on it as camp opens.

As bad as it sounds, tempting Nichols out of retirement with a very low base salary and large playing time bonuses might end up the Bombers best option. Then scratch Nichols as #3 keeping Brown as short yardage guy. If Collaros had to miss time you 6 game IR him, saving loads of cap to bring in Nichols for that stretch. Might be only way to make it work.

Reactions: jetsforever

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Bombers covet experienced backup quarterback as Sean McGuire retires | 3DownNation

McGuire retired to join law federal law enforcement.

If the Bombers want an experienced backup, the QBs remaining on FA that started at least one game in 2021 are David Watford and....Matt Nichols. Not much of a list. Nichols is considering retirement as well. We'll see what happens here, but QB depth is unlikely to be a strength.

For those wondering they have reached out to Strevelers camp. He is 100% focused on NFL at this time. It might end up easier/cheaper to get him later in the summer if no NFL options emerge, but dont count on it as camp opens.

As bad as it sounds, tempting Nichols out of retirement with a very low base salary and large playing time bonuses might end up the Bombers best option.

Not that he's necessarily a better option than Nichols but is Dominique Davis still out there somewhere?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well, whatever happens it’ll be hard to have our backup QB be worse than McGuire was.

Happy to bring in a veteran backup though since the rookies we bring in are almost always terrible.

Reactions: Fairview

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Well, whatever happens it’ll be hard to have our backup QB be worse than McGuire was.

Happy to bring in a veteran backup though since the rookies we bring in are almost always terrible.

Let's shore up a couple of areas of need with some real experience and re-unite that dynamic Riders duo of Darian Durant and Duron Carter. Just be careful with the signing bonuses this time, Kyle. :nod:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Streveler? We made this raw rookie our backup going into camp after Durants retirement and he went for over 300 yards in his first game, than eventually moved onto NFL.

Tbh McGuire never had a chance, IMO. Tbat soaked game with the rain and backups/meaning nothing wasnt an honest audition.

We have traditionally been horrendous at QB evaluation. But i see little to no support that Walters is as bad as the rest. Streveler was really the only guy theyve tagged and promoted and he ended up going betond CFL to NFL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad