Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Streveler? We made this raw rookie our backup going into camp after Durants retirement and he went for over 300 yards in his first game, than eventually moved onto NFL.

Tbh McGuire never had a chance, IMO. Tbat soaked game with the rain and backups/meaning nothing wasnt an honest audition.

We have traditionally been horrendous at QB evaluation. But i see little to no support that Walters is as bad as the rest. Streveler was really the only guy theyve tagged and promoted and he ended up going betond CFL to NFL.
“Almost always.”

Streveler is the obvious exception, not the rule.

Walters hasn’t really needed to develop any QBs because he keeps bringing in veteran guys, which is fine by me. He found Streveler but he’s also found junk like McGuire, Marve, Bennett … hopefully he’s better than the others though, and it’s not exactly a high bar.

He’s likely never gonna be like Calgary at finding QBs but finding just one in Streveler is more than anyone else in this organization can say since the early ‘90s, so …

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Tim Baines
@TimCBaines

Sounds like a change of heart for DB Alden Darby, who not be joining the #Redblacks.
5:39 PM · Feb 9, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Thats very odd. I dont know the guy your quoting so I dont know if this accurate but itd be odd.

“Almost always.”

Streveler is the obvious exception, not the rule.

Walters hasn’t really needed to develop any QBs because he keeps bringing in veteran guys, which is fine by me. He found Streveler but he’s also found junk like McGuire, Marve, Bennett … hopefully he’s better than the others though, and it’s not exactly a high bar.

He’s likely never gonna be like Calgary at finding QBs but finding just one in Streveler is more than anyone else in this organization can say since the early ‘90s, so …

I mean sports is a razor edge. Marve for example had some great potential, still think he coulda been more than he was in the right situation. The difference between CFL regular and complete bust is far thinner than people like to admit, IMO. A guy like Dominque Davis for example I think got a longer look just cause he was a Calgary recruit.

But yes we still havent brought in and developed a true starting QB in forever. But so much depends on chance and opportunity. You never know when the next big thing will hit.

Reactions: snowkiddin

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Thats very odd. I dont know the guy your quoting so I dont know if this accurate but itd be odd.

I mean sports is a razor edge. Marve for example had some great potential, still think he coulda been more than he was in the right situation. The difference between CFL regular and complete bust is far thinner than people like to admit, IMO. A guy like Dominque Davis for example I think got a longer look just cause he was a Calgary recruit.

But yes we still havent brought in and developed a true starting QB in forever. But so much depends on chance and opportunity. You never know when the next big thing will hit.
Well, if there’s a time to be confident in the Bombers hitting on a QB, it’s under this management group. They’ve done well pretty much everywhere else on the roster so we’ll see what they can do with QB.

Of course, this is Collaros’s team right now.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Harris definitely lost a step and was not a major threat for YAC but he could twist his way out o a pile like no other runningback could. Anyway, it is done now.

I don't view Harris leaving a problem at all for the Bombers. It's pretty much a given when a running back turns 34, he's pretty much finished. Harris is 35, and his best days are far behind him in my opinion. Good move by the Bombers, so they can put that money saved to way better use. I do wish Andrew all the best though, as he always gave it his all when he played.

From what I've read the loss will be losing Darvin Adams, as I believe he's signed somewhere else. He's a good receiver, but the Bombers should be able to find a very good guy to replace him.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'll be honest and say I can see the perspective of O'Shea and Walters wanting him to prove his commitment with a workout but I can also see why Harris felt jilted. It looks really uncaring and pretty terrible that they'd seemingly ignore the personal issues that Harris had last season.

All of it sounds like it could have been avoided if they had made any effort into signing Harris and shown even a little bit of faith in him which shouldn't have been too big of an ask.

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
'Sad to walk away': Andrew Harris says Bombers left him feeling insulted, unwanted | Winnipeg Sun

Would be interested to hear the Bombers side of this story. It’s Paul Friesen though, so a balanced article with both sides is obviously too much to ask.

The Bombers made the correct decision here. The sentimentality of it is hard, but logically, this is the right move.

I’ll be rooting for Harris this year but realistically he’s unlikely to be as productive as Oliveira and Augustine, he probably won’t make it the full season without getting hurt, and he’ll retire long before the guys we kept.

It was clear last year that he took a step back and that was with an elite O-Line. He can still play and that’s impressive at his age but he’s 35. It was the right decision to move on.

I’m not thrilled that they strung him along, but, like I said, I’d like to hear Walters/O’Shea’s perspective.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
From reading that to me ego on Harris's part led to him signing elsewhere. O'Shea and the Bombers were in no way responsible for the problems in his personal life or his injuries. He's 35, most RB's are retired by that age. And seriously pouting like a little bitch because the Bombers signed Augustine? This isn't the Winnipeg Andrew Harris's , it's the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Just because other players were signed first you get sand in your vag? I hope he has an OK season with Toronto but it's just another example of athletes thinking they are bigger than the team and the sport and not being able to accept when their role might diminish a tad. Sort of like crybaby Scheifele because PLD is really our #1 C and Perfetti looks like next years #2.

Reactions: sipowicz

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That article is not great for Harris - seems like he ditched the exit meeting to go party, then opened his negotiations with 'hey whassup' and wouldn't work out or prove his physical conditioning after he admits he lost trust of Osh because of his conditioning last season... sometimes guys should have an agent.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
'Sad to walk away': Andrew Harris says Bombers left him feeling insulted, unwanted | Winnipeg Sun

Would be interested to hear the Bombers side of this story. It’s Paul Friesen though, so a balanced article with both sides is obviously too much to ask.

The Bombers made the correct decision here. The sentimentality of it is hard, but logically, this is the right move.

I’ll be rooting for Harris this year but realistically he’s unlikely to be as productive as Oliveira and Augustine, he probably won’t make it the full season without getting hurt, and he’ll retire long before the guys we kept.

It was clear last year that he took a step back and that was with an elite O-Line. He can still play and that’s impressive at his age but he’s 35. It was the right decision to move on.

I’m not thrilled that they strung him along, but, like I said, I’d like to hear Walters/O’Shea’s perspective.

I agree with your comments but well never hear the other side. Too much class from Walters/O'Shea to respond to this. This is a clear hit piece, imo. Not easy when you have a coach and GM off back to back Grey Cups but damn if Friesen doesn't do his best to slander the Bombers.

Harris and Walters/O'Shea clearly disagreed on what his value was going forward. Harris still sees himself as a #1 top end RB with a Canadian passport to boot. Bombers see upside in similiar style in Oliveira and a new dynamic with scat back Augustine as well mixed in as well. Can't blame either side here.

From a Bombers perspective theyve now locked in all 3 backs for 2 years. All 3 have great upside, its a no lose scenario and they've played it out. No losers here, Andrew will still have his name up on the ring of honour one day.

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
One other take from this whole Andrew Harris thing...

You have all brought up good points regarding this situation...

But Andrew Harris is being himself... he's pumping himself up for the upcoming season... taking on those opposed...

Its so Andrew Harris... so so Andrew Harris...

I hope he has a great season... hope the best for him in the future...

And I hope to still be here when they put his name up with other Bomber greats at IG Field...

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I'm not clicking on Friesen's article - won't give him clicks, so thanks for the summary. Gossip columnists' (ahem, 'sportswriters') strength is to manipulate their subject enough to get the soundbites they've pre-conceived. But it sounds like Harris was willing to play that game. Too bad, now I don't mind seeing him go.

Skipping exit meetings at the age of 35? Refusing a workout? Grow up.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm not clicking on Friesen's article - won't give him clicks, so thanks for the summary. Gossip columnists' (ahem, 'sportswriters') strength is to manipulate their subject enough to get the soundbites they've pre-conceived. But it sounds like Harris was willing to play that game. Too bad, now I don't mind seeing him go.

Skipping exit meetings at the age of 35? Refusing a workout? Grow up.
Friesen’s earlier article before this one is even worse.

It ends with a paragraph essentially saying that Harris should’ve retired a Bomber but it “somehow went wrong, and the Bombers will have to live with that.”

Talk about trying to stir the pot :laugh:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
One other take from this whole Andrew Harris thing...

You have all brought up good points regarding this situation...

But Andrew Harris is being himself... he's pumping himself up for the upcoming season... taking on those opposed...

Its so Andrew Harris... so so Andrew Harris...

I hope he has a great season... hope the best for him in the future...

And I hope to still be here when they put his name up with other Bomber greats at IG Field...
This is my take as well--Andrew is being exactly what he is at this moment, an aging star with human frailties, trying to be understanding, but still hurting, hoping to show the Bombers the error of their ways the only way he knows how--on the field.

Friesen is giving readers exactly what they want right now--an inside look at a public figure, with a dramatic flair. Harris knows, or should know this and fans should too. Shooting the messenger just makes us part of the drama, which is fine, but not for me.

Friesen would give equal media time to Walters and Osh, but they are too classy to speak publicly, knowing that some day Harris will be back in Winnipeg as a hero, with all of this drama forgotten.

Last edited:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
It seems it has a lot to do with what we figured, Harris still thinks he's a star and wanted to be paid like one. This move was a no brainer for us. And from reading that article an even easier decision for the front office. Clearly there were some commitment issues, a lot more than we have an idea about, and looks like it rubbed coaches and front office the wrong way. I'm going to guess so ego issues as well.

Pay Harris big money who is aging, hurt and doesn't seem fully committed? Or lock up two young Canadians for cheaper who have a good chance of out performing Harris anyways. Pretty easy decision. I'm sure they would have loved to have him for a support role, but no way Harris was going to accept that. Looking back after his career he may wish he took a lesser role with us, time will tell. I'm sure this will also light a fire under Harris and will probably be a little more committed this year to prove everyone wrong.

I'm surprised by the poll at the bottom where most readers agree with the move. Would have expected the casual fans with no understanding of salary and age to be pissed we didn't re-sign him.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
This is my take as well--Andrew is being exactly what he is at this moment, an aging star with human frailties, trying to be understanding, but still hurting, hoping to show the Bombers the error of their ways the only way he knows how--on the field.

Friesen is giving readers exactly what they want right now--an inside look at a public figure, with a dramatic flair. Harris knows, or should know this and fans should too. Shooting the messenger just makes us part of the drama, which is fine, but not for me.

Friesen would give equal media time to Walters and Osh, but they are too classy to speak publicly, knowing that some day Harris will be back in Winnipeg as a hero, with all of this drama forgotten.
I don't entirely disagree with your take, but he's not a mere messenger. I know firsthand how many so-called reporters manipulate and twist words, decontextualize, or ask incredibly leading questions whose answers take on a different meaning when you remove the context of the question's phrasing in the article itself.

I much prefer Bob Irving's straightforward approach to interviews over Friesen's (and of course, they have different mediums - live radio is significantly more honest than print, since you can't edit to misportray meaning as much).

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I don't entirely disagree with your take, but he's not a mere messenger. I know firsthand how many so-called reporters manipulate and twist words, decontextualize, or ask incredibly leading questions whose answers take on a different meaning when you remove the context of the question's phrasing in the article itself.

I much prefer Bob Irving's straightforward approach to interviews over Friesen's (and of course, they have different mediums - live radio is significantly more honest than print, since you can't edit to misportray meaning as much).

Bob Irving is the Rolls Royce analog of reporting standards in the Winnipeg media.

In my opinion, Friesen is not quite there, more like a mid 90's Hyundai with salt-rotted rockers and a couple of poorly torqued head bolts. Or maybe like the high miles grey Lada (with red doors) found in the back lane behind TMac auto on Marion. Or, like your kid brother's '02 brown Caravan with the plastic wood grain siding and the missing wheel covers - the one where his pet Husky puked into the rear bench seat floor recesses (soaked up and preserved by a half dozen fossilized chicken Mcnuggets), that leaks coolant into the passenger foot well from the failing heater core.

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Bob Irving is the Rolls Royce analog of reporting standards in the Winnipeg media.

In my opinion, Friesen is not quite there, more like a mid 90's Hyundai with salt-rotted rockers and a couple of poorly torqued head bolts. Or maybe like the high miles grey Lada (with red doors) found in the back lane behind TMac auto on Marion. Or, like your kid brother's '02 brown Caravan with the plastic wood grain siding and the missing wheel covers - the one where his pet Husky puked into the rear bench seat floor recesses (soaked up and preserved by a half dozen fossilized chicken Mcnuggets), that leaks coolant into the passenger foot well from the failing heater core.

So your saying this is Friesen... :laugh:

R.ba190256b35b33669e580a218b685f50

an-old-dirty-and-rusty-car-parked-on-the-side-of-a-building-picture-id172625488

lexus_beatup.jpg

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
The Blue 'blew' this one. No way they win the PR battle vs. Harris.

I do not care that he sounds like a petulant kid or it may be a hit hob by Friesen.

They treated this like a business transaction and he deserved or earned better.

The timing of it all stinks as they were resigning players but left him out of the loop.

I know player is bigger than the team but I think without Harris this team certainly does not make it to the Grey Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad