Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Texas football star fulfilling championship dreams in Canada

^Jeffcoat is a gem. In this recent interview he was asked if he'd consider playing in Regina: "I don't want to go there!" Jeffcoat said. "That'd be like going to like Norman, Oklahoma."

He also talked about he's embraced the CFL and actually has fun playing football vs the NFL which is just constantly stressful.

God I love reading articles like this. What a 180 from the dark days of Joe Mack when the team sucked and almost no one wanted to play here.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Texas football star fulfilling championship dreams in Canada

^Jeffcoat is a gem. In this recent interview he was asked if he'd consider playing in Regina: "I don't want to go there!" Jeffcoat said. "That'd be like going to like Norman, Oklahoma."

He also talked about how he's embraced the CFL and actually has fun playing football vs the NFL which is just constantly stressful.

That's awesome
Bit weird that he said "I wasn't super happy about it, I want to be Defensive Player of the Year" though considering his teammate was the one who got it :laugh:

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
That's awesome
Bit weird that he said "I wasn't super happy about it, I want to be Defensive Player of the Year" though considering his teammate was the one who got it :laugh:
To be clear, he wasn't happy about being rested at the end of the season. The guy is a competitor and doesn't want to take days off, which is probably why he has had so much success in the CFL when a lot of other talented Americans never find success up here.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Best move he made was coming here to keep his career going and it's paid off in spades

FL6Px-sX0AYiTvI

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Best move he made was coming here to keep his career going and it's paid off in spades

FL6Px-sX0AYiTvI

And we're all supposed to know who that is? Sorry, just enough of a Bombers follower to know a few of the names, and even fewer of the faces. Is that Adam Bigfoot? :huh:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Why Canadian OL Liam Dobson getting drafted by the USFL is a big deal | 3DownNation

Still dont consider this a big deal, but short term is does suck for the Bombers. However this article doesnt mention one important fact. Hed have been in tough in Winnipeg competing against a former NFLer and 3 year CFL vet in Geoff Gray for one spot. Bombers retain his rights so when USFL folds he will likely look north to Winnipeg.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Why Canadian OL Liam Dobson getting drafted by the USFL is a big deal | 3DownNation

Still dont consider this a big deal, but short term is does suck for the Bombers. However this article doesnt mention one important fact. Hed have been in tough in Winnipeg competing against a former NFLer and 3 year CFL vet in Geoff Gray for one spot. Bombers retain his rights so when USFL folds he will likely look north to Winnipeg.

Didn't realise there was yet another startup low-tier football league giving it a go
I wonder if any of them will get it right and survive (seems unlikely)
Good that BB can at least keep Dobson's rights

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Didn't realise there was yet another startup low-tier football league giving it a go
I wonder if any of them will get it right and survive (seems unlikely)
Good that BB can at least keep Dobson's rights

Its rebranded "The Spring League" now will salaries instead of players paying to play. Pay is roughly CFL minimum (standard for all players).

This also came out. Note theres 410 players CFL neg lists, so 55 is not surprising to be honest as thats what this league is looking at basically young guys on edge of CFL/NFL looking for a shot.

Notable that every player drafted in USFL have already signed a contract. No CFL out clauses, so these guys are out for probably this whole year (unless league folds which is not unlikely).

Reactions: jetsforever

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
A few years ago TSN had a CFL segment where someone did a bunch of analytics while using quirky animated characters/caricatures of CFL players. Was that Derek Taylor or I'm thinking of someone else?

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Notable that every player drafted in USFL have already signed a contract. No CFL out clauses, so these guys are out for probably this whole year (unless league folds which is not unlikely).

So did Derrick Jones sign and he or his agent not disclose that he was already under contract in the CFL and the USFL/Spring League is now backing off to avoid stepping on the CFL's toes?

That's how it sounds when I read what you said about drafted players already being under contract. Awkward for Jones and Calgary if so.

A few years ago TSN had a CFL segment where someone did a bunch of analytics while using quirky animated characters. Was that Derek Taylor or I'm thinking of someone else?

Yeah, same guy. I think he's from Winnipeg but left TSN to take a play by play radio job for the Riders a year or two ago.

Reactions: Jetsfan79

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
So did Derrick Jones sign and he or his agent not disclose that he was already under contract in the CFL and the USFL/Spring League is now backing off to avoid stepping on the CFL's toes?

That's how it sounds when I read what you said about drafted players already being under contract. Awkward for Jones and Calgary if so.

Yeah, same guy. I think he's from Winnipeg but left TSN to take a play by play radio job for the Riders a year or two ago.

Thanks for confirming. Honestly , I remember him coming off as smug and a smart aleck in those segments. I remember his "stats" trying to prove Bombers made a mistake in dressing Nichols over Willy. He semed to often only look at past stats and failed to factor in projecting forward and other factors like coaching/scheme fit and assessments.

I also remember in more than one occasion getting interviewed by Rick Ralph where he seemed to always get Ralph's home province wrong. Which I think pissed Ralph off a bit.

I realize it was just a funny little segment from a few years ago . I will reserve judgment until I listen to him doing bomber games

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Thanks for confirming. Honestly , I remember him coming off as smug and a smart aleck in those segments. I remember his "stats" trying to prove Bombers made a mistake in dressing Nichols over Willy. He semed to often only look at past stats and failed to factor in projecting forward and other factors like coaching/scheme fit and assessments.

I also remember in more than one occasion getting interviewed by Rick Ralph where he seemed to always get Ralph's home province wrong. Which I think pissed Ralph off a bit.

I realize it was just a funny little segment . I will reserve judgment wrong.

I thought he was solid with TSN in his last couple seasons there. He brought a level of analysis that TSN didn't really ever make any effort of covering. I've got no opinion of his play by play though and honestly that's probably all that matters :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Wasn’t long ago CFL commish Ambrosia was talking with a league that no longer existed…….the big CFL-XFL merger when there was no XFL:nod:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

No idea. Could be Jones thought he could "double drip" by play for awhile in USFL then come up north or vice versa and just didnt tell anyone. Or maybe USFL accidently put him on the draft list? Not sure.

None

Feb 22, 2012
No idea. Could be Jones thought he could "double drip" by play for awhile in USFL then come up north or vice versa and just didnt tell anyone. Or maybe USFL accidently put him on the draft list? Not sure.

Just a strange situation then. I remember hearing about the league in question around the same time as the XFL-CFL news and it just never seemed to materialize. I wonder if they're going to last longer than a year or two?

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018

Checked out the draft results and noticed that each round the teams had to pick a player from a specific position. Kind of different.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Just a strange situation then. I remember hearing about the league in question around the same time as the XFL-CFL news and it just never seemed to materialize. I wonder if they're going to last longer than a year or two?

Every single game the first season is going to be played in Birmingham. To me that has got to hurt right off the bat. How do you drum up fan interest in the cities of the other teams in the league?

Reactions: sipowicz and None

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Former NFL DB Derrick Jones calls out Stampeders for ‘unprofessional’ conduct in barring him from USFL | 3DownNation

Looks like this Derrick Jones is just a moron. Signs a valid CFL contract then a week later tells team, I wanna look USFL, is put in contact with player personnel, then just ignores it all and signs in USFL. Now bitching publicly because hes an idiot.

Stamps will likely release him rather than deal with this headache. Hope hes happy with less money in a league unlikely to make it to the end of the year versus a league heading towards its 110th championship.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
First & Goal: Off-season recap - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Lots of great info here.

Sounds like team is still in contact with Janarion Grant and a return is possible. Thiadric Hansen is contemplating retirement, right now he is helping evacuate refugees from the Ukrainian border, with specific focus on BIPOC people who've had trouble with Polish authorities. Return possible but perhaps unlikely. Castillo is attending a kickers camp for another NFL shot, may look at USFL as well before CFL return.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL Global standout Thiadric Hansen helping BIPOC refugees escape war-torn Ukraine | 3DownNation

Expanded on what Hansen is doing in Germany/Poland. Pretty amazing. As this is a Bombers thread though I won't go into details on this, but rather focus on the later part of the article that has some VERY interesting information I haven't seen before.

Currently a free agent, the German has received offers from multiple CFL teams to continue his career, but under current league rules can only be paid $54,000 — $11,000 less than the league minimum — if he wishes to maintain his Global status on his second contract. Hansen was already offered a raise on that number with a three-year extension following his first season in Winnipeg, but that contract offer was nullified by the league office.
He is currently in conversations with the CFLPA to change that rule so that he may finally be able to cash in on his next deal, just as any other player is allowed. However, if a new arrangement for established Global players can’t be reached in the new collective bargaining agreement, he may have played his last down in the CFL.
“If I can’t negotiate, I don’t really know what’s gonna happen for me, if I’m gonna come back to Canada. Obviously I want to, but I’m almost 30 now,” Hansen said. “It’s hard, I really don’t want to, but maybe I need to find work that’ll give me a [long-term] job.”

Hopefully this can be addressed in the CBA negotiations. I understand the small scale/lower minimum for Global players, particularly early in this experiment but no possibility to increase that? That's just freaking stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad