Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
CFL Global standout Thiadric Hansen helping BIPOC refugees escape war-torn Ukraine | 3DownNation

Expanded on what Hansen is doing in Germany/Poland. Pretty amazing. As this is a Bombers thread though I won't go into details on this, but rather focus on the later part of the article that has some VERY interesting information I haven't seen before.

Hopefully this can be addressed in the CBA negotiations. I understand the small scale/lower minimum for Global players, particularly early in this experiment but no possibility to increase that? That's just freaking stupid.
That’s a really strange one - going to be impossible to attract top tier talent

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Cap crunch: breaking down the salary cap situation of every CFL team for 2022 - 3DownNation

Bombers maxed out - guess its Mourtada or a rookie...

Can't help but wonder if Harris doesn't get cut in Toronto or start on IR

Meh CFL has so many ways around and to cap. A single release could make that meanibgless. Walters will find a way to add what he needs.

But on the topic of kicker, Mourtada was unfairly judged last year, imo. He hit the ball long and straight consistently, IMO. But he couldnt at all adjust for big CFL field. Hes gonna have 6 months to practice angles. I think people will be surprised at his improvement on CFL field. And Liegghio still has great upside.

Reactions: Jetland162702

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Meh CFL has so many ways around and to cap. A single release could make that meanibgless. Walters will find a way to add what he needs.

But on the topic of kicker, Mourtada was unfairly judged last year, imo. He hit the ball long and straight consistently, IMO. But he couldnt at all adjust for big CFL field. Hes gonna have 6 months to practice angles. I think people will be surprised at his improvement on CFL field. And Liegghio still has great upside.
Yes for sure... but I think we are only around a 60 man roster and I don't see many vet candidates for cuts - I mean I also dont see many gaps beyond kicker though.

Reactions: Jetland162702

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

A returners job is to turn momentum when nothing going right on offense and defense. Looks like Janarion takes that seriously as he decides to cheer up all Bombers fans during an April blizzard.

Team looks great aside from the kicker question...

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

A returners job is to turn momentum when nothing going right on offense and defense. Looks like Janarion takes that seriously as he decides to cheer up all Bombers fans during an April blizzard.

Have to say I've been waiting for this signing since free agency began, it cannot be understated what a good returner is in this game especially with the 5 yard buffer

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Wr signing. Only 6'1 but looks like he can be great. 4.38 40 time

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
And zero experience backing up Collaros. :scared:

I mean that's not really true. Dakota Prukop has been around awhile now. He doesn't have many starts but he's been in CFL since 2017. I'd rather the untested guy who might be bad than the old guy we know is bad is one way to look at it. Another is to look at projected backup QB's. I think Prukop easily falls in the middle of this list...
BC - Michael O'Connor - Little experience, bounced around and has struggled to stay on rosters. Seemed almost assured to be out of CFL this year but BC starting Rourke and wanting a canadian backup seems to have bought him another year.
EDM - JT Barrett/Taylor Cornelius - Yeah nothing here. A college guy from a big school, has that EVER worked in the CFL outside of maybe Doug Flutie 30 years ago? And Cornelius is the typical "we know he sucks but hey he's got starting "experience".
CGY - Jake Maier - Ok so he's one of the better CFL QB prospects, I'd take him over Prukop.
SSK - Mason Fine - Even less "experience" than Prukop, and hasn't shown even the flashes we've seen from Prukop.
HAM - Matthew Shiltz - More experience, less upside.
TOR - Antonio Pipkin/Chad Kelly/Cole Macdonald - Pipkin again more experience, less upside v Prukop. Kelly and Macdonald are prospects, who knows, CFL rookies.
OTT - Caleb Evans/Devlin Hodges - I like Evans. He got thrown to the wolves, but he has potential. Hodges looked horrendous.
MTL - Trevor Harris/Dominique Davis - Harris has the experience, but he's not a winner. He can step in to keep your team afloat though I suppose. Davis is terrible.

Let's say in fantasy land the Bomber could just pick their backup QB from any non-starting QB in the league. Because we're in a win now mode, I am thinking who would help the most this season. My rankings would be...
1. Jake Maier (CGY)
2. Trevor Harris (MTL)
3. Caleb Evans (OTT)
4. Matthew Shiltz (HAM)
5. Dakota Prukop (WPG)
6. Antonio Pipkin (TOR)
BIG GAP
7. Mason Fine (SSK)
8. Cole Macdonald (TOR)
9. JT Barrett (EDM)
10. The guy from Napolean Dynamite
11. A tackling dummy
12. The rest (Cornelius, Davis, Hodges, Kelly, O'Connor, etc) ;)

You know started this post with intention of showing Prukop is def a CFL middle of the road backup QB. I think I did that but my biggest takeaway if QB depth sucks everywhere in CFL right now.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wr signing. Only 6'1 but looks like he can be great. 4.38 40 time

Wrong Lucky? :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Some real bad luck for BC and Stove. Really enjoy watching him play, hope for a speedy recovery for him. Bombers are going to miss his pass rush from the middle of the DL.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Rule changes build on strengths of the CFL game - CFL.ca

Just like that Bombers have a kicker. Mourtada will be much improved now that he doesnt have to angle his kicks as much. He actually kicked really well in a straight line.

I have no issues with any of these rules. My only minor concern is the no yards. It might be REALLY punishing. If a punt ever bounces backwards it has a real good chance to touch someone and thats 15 yards instantly. Hope Liegghio is practicing his spin so the ball always bounces forwards after landing.

Reactions: thereturn

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Rule changes build on strengths of the CFL game - CFL.ca

Just like that Bombers have a kicker. Mourtada will be much improved now that he doesnt have to angle his kicks as much. He actually kicked really well in a straight line.

I have no issues with any of these rules. My only minor concern is the no yards. It might be REALLY punishing. If a punt ever bounces backwards it has a real good chance to touch someone and thats 15 yards instantly. Hope Liegghio is practicing his spin so the ball always bounces forwards after landing.
Hear any news on Thiadric Hansen? He calling it a career?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hear any news on Thiadric Hansen? He calling it a career?

Last I heard he wont come back without a CBA change. Right now he can only make less than minimum for a CAN/US player. Well have to wait and see if there is one.

Mauro was a little overwhelmed early on last season and ending up practice squad, but i think they still like his upside. A poor mans Mike Miller is the hope I think. Hansen will be a bonus chip. All the rest of their Globals left for more playing time. So theyll restock at draft in case CFL goes back to 2 Globals.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad