Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I mean the CFLPA's leadership and chosen representatives agreed to a deal. The PA then backed out. If you cant trust the guy negotiating the deal across the table from you, you kind of have to dig in and play hardball.

Unions have the moral high ground from the word go, IMO. They are there to support the workers. CFLPA though handed it over when they rejected the deal the leadership and reps agreed to. They lost the ability to call foul, IMO. The players wanted war, thats what theyll get now. Honestly the PA just cost themselves a ton of money and 1 fulltime spot starter spot in exchange for two other spots that in practice would have been no more than 25-30% used by americans, IMO.
How did they lose a ton of money? Is salary cap.reduced 500k per team or overall?

None

Feb 22, 2012
I mean the CFLPA's leadership and chosen representatives agreed to a deal. The PA then backed out. If you cant trust the guy negotiating the deal across the table from you, you kind of have to dig in and play hardball.

Unions have the moral high ground from the word go, IMO. They are there to support the workers. CFLPA though handed it over when they rejected the deal the leadership and reps agreed to. They lost the ability to call foul, IMO. The players wanted war, thats what theyll get now. Honestly the PA just cost themselves a ton of money and 1 fulltime spot starter spot in exchange for two other spots that in practice would have been no more than 25-30% used by americans, IMO.

Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing. I'm just expressing mild concern for the rank and file that probably voted in favour of whatever gets them back on the field sooner. The economic reality of the CFL is that there just isn't a ton of money to go around.

The CFLPA clearly has organizational issues. I wouldn't necessarily call it sabotage but there's clearly a group of organized players that don't feel represented by the CFLPA's leadership. I think that group that caused the vote to fail probably made a shortsighted move that will cost the union as a whole if the CFL really decides to leverage the divide with a wedge issue.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Randy Ambrosie has been a disaster and that's saying a lot with some really bad CFL commissioners over the years!

But lets alienate what few remaining fans we have!

Reactions: Ggg99

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
How did they lose a ton of money? Is salary cap.reduced 500k per team or overall?

No word on exacts. At very least the PA lost money no matter what on this new deal. Even if its straight 1 mil now for 1.2mil in lost cap over the deal thats been reported so far thats still a loss. I highly doubt thats the only money theyve taken away in this latest deal, likely smaller scaling on the cap the entire way through. Im guessing thats going to add up.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'll wait for the details but it doesn't seem that bad - the ratio thing is very confusing when we are finally at a time when teams have real Canadian talent coming out of universities plus all the 'exemptions' like wolitarsky...

The focus on the ratio seems really like an outdated approach.

If the players advance revenue sharing to earlier then it's a win...

As for ambrosie, I doubt he has any influence on these meetings...

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I for one support the Canadian players for taking a stand...

Diluting the Canadian content is for the owners and the American coaches who just don't get it...

The Bombers since bringing Walters & O'Shea on board and giving them the time to sort out our once weak Canadian talent has been a major reason for the Bombers being back to back Champs...

The other CFL owners and GM's are just wanting to leverage American numbers and use them to lower their costs... there is no identity in that... little humanity in it and is ultimately a destructive idea...

As fans of the Bombers we get constant Canadian talent developed... lots of wins... and stability in the overall roster even for Americans because our Management and Coaches get it...

The only thing I would say is if an American veteran player gets his Canadian citizenship (they can maintain dual citizenship) they could be classed as part of the Canadian ratio...

I am looking forward to watching the Bombers again this season... this is a mere detail being dealt with by the Canadians of the Canadian Football League...

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Diluting the Canadian content is for the owners and the American coaches who just don't get it...

The Bombers since bringing Walters & O'Shea on board and giving them the time to sort out our once weak Canadian talent has been a major reason for the Bombers being back to back Champs...

The other CFL owners and GM's are just wanting to leverage American numbers and use them to lower their costs... their is no identity in that... little humanity in it and is ultimately a destructive idea...

As fans of the Bombers we get constant Canadian talent developed... lots of wins... and stability in the overall roster even for Americans because our Management and Coaches get it...

The only thing I would say is if an American veteran player gets his Canadian citizenship (they can maintain dual citizenship) they could be classed as part of the Canadian ratio...

I am looking forward to watching the Bombers again this season... this is a mere detail being dealt with by the Canadians of the Canadian Football League...
Hamilton is stocked with cdn depth too and potentially two teams with cdn QBs... ratio is not the problem for the CFL except maybe that they can pay Americans less...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

The other CFL owners and GM's are just wanting to leverage American numbers and use them to lower their costs... there is no identity in that... little humanity in it and is ultimately a destructive idea...

I want to see the best players available in all positions regardless of nationality, the top Canadian born players are in the NFL right now so what’s the difference!?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers released WR Jalen Saunders this morning. Honestly I was never really sold on him making the team, but thought he'd at least get some pre-season games in. Guy has had no luck, but it might be the end of the road for him. Too many injuries.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I want to see the best players available in all positions regardless of nationality, the top Canadian born players are in the NFL right now so what’s the difference!?

The CFL is at the top of the Canadian football ecosystem... you take away Canadian spots and I think there's a chance that it would really hurt the game at amateur levels. Losing the prospect of a job in the CFL makes football in general less appealing for Canadian players, coaches, officials, etc.

There is merit to the CFL being a Canadian league with Canadian character. Would we really be better off if hometown guys like Andrew Harris and Brady Oliveira never saw a CFL field?

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
The CFL is at the top of the Canadian football ecosystem... you take away Canadian spots and I think there's a chance that it would really hurt the game at amateur levels. Losing the prospect of a job in the CFL makes football in general less appealing for Canadian players, coaches, officials, etc.

There is merit to the CFL being a Canadian league with Canadian character.

Totally agree.

(separate comment)
I don't think it would be any kind of surprise if Winnipeg wins their 3rd straight Grey Cup.
Hell of a core right now, even heading into a bit of an uncertain season for all teams.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Totally agree.

(separate comment)
I don't think it would be any kind of surprise if Winnipeg wins their 3rd straight Grey Cup.
Hell of a core right now, even heading into a bit of an uncertain season for all teams.

I suspect all of the uncertainty over the past few years (covid, now the threat of a strike) is probably at least somewhat to Winnipeg's advantage. The Bomber organization is very stable with proven people at the helm, and it's well bankrolled. It's a safe harbour in a league where a lot of things are questionable.

Reactions: kk

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Bombers released WR Jalen Saunders this morning. Honestly I was never really sold on him making the team, but thought he'd at least get some pre-season games in. Guy has had no luck, but it might be the end of the road for him. Too many injuries.

Must be something else. Wish we had insiders locally breaking this since national is asleep on these things.

Javon Holland in 3 years once his rookie deal is done will make more than 2 teams full salary cap per year

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Thought I read this a few weeks ago but it has not been reported since. Part of the CBA is the season can now ne moved up a month. Is this still part of the new CBA

I've always been a proponent of an early May to end of October season

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I disagree. Just because it's a Canadian league doesn't mean Canadian players get to waste roster spots. They have to earn it just like everyone else.

They rejected the CBA on the basis the ratio rule is slightly weakened. It's still there protecting Canadian players, just with one less slot. Ridiculous

If they want to lose a season of play based on that then so be it. Tired of both the commissioner's office and players union making this league look like a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I disagree. Just because it's a Canadian league doesn't mean Canadian players get to waste roster spots. They have to earn it just like everyone else.

They rejected the CBA on the basis the ratio rule is slightly weakened. It's still there protecting Canadian players, just with one less slot. Ridiculous

If they want to lose a season of play based on that then so be it. Tired of both the commissioner's office and players union making this league look like a joke.
It all depends on the 50% of snaps rule... if that's the entire game, then they lost three ratio spots - even if its not, it really opened the door to removing the ratio in the next deal

Finding good Canadian talents or being frustrated by watching Pierre Luc Labbe as our MLB is part of what makes the CFL interesting...

Just bizarre that the league is focusing on this... they can already declare players 'Canadian' if their parents drove through Canada when they were six years old... so typically CFL.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It all depends on the 50% of snaps rule... if that's the entire game, then they lost three ratio spots - even if its not, it really opened the door to removing the ratio in the next deal

Finding good Canadian talents or being frustrated by watching Pierre Luc Labbe as our MLB is part of what makes the CFL interesting...

Just bizarre that the league is focusing on this... they can already declare players 'Canadian' if their parents drove through Canada when they were six years old... so typically CFL.

I don't understand that first sentence. No matter what, those spots aren't lost. They would still be Canadian starters and would have to play in over 50% of the snaps in a game.

In practice this is how I see it working. You'd have to track that the next day. Make the penalties massive. Like 50K for a first violation, 100K + 5th round pick for 2nd violation, 250K + 1st Round pick for 3rd volation, 500K + 3 1sts for 4th violation, etc.

In that case, no team is going to risk approaching that threshold. Canadian starter will play 70-90% of every game, no coach is gonna want to track that. Probably save the snaps from the american backup in certain situations.

An example would be let's say Bombers D. Jake Thomas is designated a canadian starter. Late in the game in obvious passing situations Bombers want to go 3 DL and bring in an extra DB, there best backup is say Demario Houston (EDIT: The replacement must be "naturalized american" so a guy like Houston wouldn't qualify. Yes, I don't have all the details). With this rule they can bring in Houston for Thomas in those certain sitations. They are not going to approach 49% for risk of the big penalties so it'll be saved for key situations.
With current rules the only way to do this would be take Thomas and say Kyrie WIlson off and bring in Houston and Jesse Briggs. Really all this rule change gives you is slightly more flexibility for certain situations, allows to you have your backups as American or Canadian.

Apparently the rule is back on the table at bargaining today, but with just 2 spots instead of 3 in the last proposal. I really think that this is the way forward. CFL wants more flexibility with rosters, PA gets to still guarantee their starters.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't understand that first sentence. No matter what, those spots aren't lost. They would still be Canadian starters and would have to play in over 50% of the snaps in a game.

In practice this is how I see it working. You'd have to track that the next day. Make the penalties massive. Like 50K for a first violation, 100K + 5th round pick for 2nd violation, 250K + 1st Round pick for 3rd volation, 500K + 3 1sts for 4th violation, etc.

In that case, no team is going to risk approaching that threshold. Canadian starter will play 70-90% of every game, no coach is gonna want to track that. Probably save the snaps from the american backup in certain situations.

An example would be let's say Bombers D. Jake Thomas is designated a canadian starter. Late in the game in obvious passing situations Bombers want to go 3 DL and bring in an extra DB, there best backup is say Demario Houston (EDIT: The replacement must be "naturalized american" so a guy like Houston wouldn't qualify. Yes, I don't have all the details). With this rule they can bring in Houston for Thomas in those certain sitations. They are not going to approach 49% for risk of the big penalties so it'll be saved for key situations.
With current rules the only way to do this would be take Thomas and say Kyrie WIlson off and bring in Houston and Jesse Briggs. Really all this rule change gives you is slightly more flexibility for certain situations, allows to you have your backups as American or Canadian.

Apparently the rule is back on the table at bargaining today, but with just 2 spots instead of 3 in the last proposal. I really think that this is the way forward. CFL wants more flexibility with rosters, PA gets to still guarantee their starters.
I guess your explanation is kind if my point - I don't see the CFL putting any teeth behind this rule and fully expect guys like Chris Jones to abuse it... I suspect it eventually becomes 'well Americans are basically playing most of the critical plays in the game so might as well just cut the ratio...'

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I guess your explanation is kind if my point - I don't see the CFL putting any teeth behind this rule and fully expect guys like Chris Jones to abuse it... I suspect it eventually becomes 'well Americans are basically playing most of the critical plays in the game so might as well just cut the ratio...'

Fair enough. Wonder if that might be the sticking point the players are making on this issue, to make sure CFL has to stick to it.

One point not yet brought, this would huge for veteran american players. Right now its basically all rookies at back americans (only about 4/5 on a roster). Cheaper may as well rotate to rookies. This gives them legitimate usage on your roster. Guys like Craig Roh would have been a very nice asset to rotate in for a Kongbo, for example (If Kongbo was starting).

Next CBA would be 7 years down the road, alot will have changed im sure by then.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Pending a PA vote. Same bargaining committee that agreed to the last one. Some saying feeling is it will pass but i mean they said that last time. Vote is tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad