Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dobson might have cost himself a chance to start this year with his USFL antics, IMO. Its going to be hard to get back on the coaches radar now. Id have said it would be 50/50 between him and Gray back in February, but Grays name is (in pencil not pen) in starting lineup now, imo. But hes still a real good prospect that adds depth along OL this year. Ford, Dobson, Rene they are getting the youth signed which is good, lots of competition.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
From what I'd heard/read it sounded like the CFLPA had basically gotten most of what they wanted. I wonder what the sticky issues were that caused the vote to fail?

I wonder if the CFL digs its heels in now and are willing to lose games to turn the screws on a split players' union.

Edit: Sounds like Canadians that were on the bubble are the ones who voted it down. I guess they don't like having to actually compete for their jobs :dunno:

Reactions: bustamente

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Half the league is Canadian... having the ratio tampered with was asking a lot - maybe they can compromise on 25% of the snaps?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
This just destroys the PA. They've lost the moral high ground. Any standing they had is gone, in both the fans eyes and leagues eyes. The league is gonna get a much better deal than they should have, and fans are gonna suffer with a strike/lockout. Incredibly selfish of the players who went against their own union reccomendations here. Will cost alot of them alot of money.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I'm a little ticked at the Canadians that voted this down. We already lost a season due to covid. I don't want to lose another because they have to actually compete for their jobs like every other league. No wonder some people think the CFL is bush league.

None

Feb 22, 2012

NHL player agent Allan Walsh chimes in suggesting that the union representatives should be resigning. It makes sense, if they accepted anything that wouldn't pass they're clearly not representing the entire collective. I guess the union representatives weren't diverse enough to represent enough of the union.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
This just destroys the PA. They've lost the moral high ground. Any standing they had is gone, in both the fans eyes and leagues eyes. The league is gonna get a much better deal than they should have, and fans are gonna suffer with a strike/lockout. Incredibly selfish of the players who went against their own union reccomendations here. Will cost alot of them alot of money.
I think it gets resolved in days... or clarity on what 50% of snaps means

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
That's very bad. Who leads them out of this? - just figuring that out could take time. Not to mention that this was a pretty good deal for the U.S. players, so there are likely to be some solidarity problems. They're really playing with fire here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So apparently 400 rookies not allowed to vote. Seems pretty messed up that they are denying members of a union from voting. The union just doesn't represent the Canadian players and vet American ones.

None

Feb 22, 2012
So apparently 400 rookies not allowed to vote. Seems pretty messed up that they are denying members of a union from voting. The union just doesn't represent the Canadian players and vet American ones.

It makes sense why rookies wouldn't have a vote. It's the same in any labour union that you need to have a set amount of tenure. It's to avoid the employer stacking the vote with new hires.

According to Simoni Lawrence over 30% of the union that were eligible didn't even vote. A good chunk of the union is apparently just happy with status quo.

Reactions: WaveRaven

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL makes new CBA proposal to CFLPA after players reject tentative agreement - 3DownNation

So maybe i was completely out to lunch. Wont be the first time, and certainly wont be the last. John Hodge is saying that CFL has quickly submitted a new offer which drops the 3 naturalized americans replacing canadian starters for 49% of game clause. Seemed to be the wedge issue so it might clear this up quickly.

Also says small increase to cap. Unclear if thats on top of the raises from rejected one, or small cap increase which would less than the previous offer (ie clawing back some of the cap increases in exchange for ratio adjustment).

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Teams already have money in their pockets for the preseason games and a seven year deal with minimal cap increases... the 49% was not a hill they were going to die on

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers released one of their rookie QB's, Jake Floriea. At this point it looks like Collaros-Prukop-Brown is very likely to be the QB room to start. A couple days ago they just brought in Joe Mancusco, so maybe Brown gets replaced but they are keeping a pretty small QB room through camp here usually means little changes are expected.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL makes new CBA proposal to CFLPA after players reject tentative agreement - 3DownNation

So maybe i was completely out to lunch. Wont be the first time, and certainly wont be the last. John Hodge is saying that CFL has quickly submitted a new offer which drops the 3 naturalized americans replacing canadian starters for 49% of game clause. Seemed to be the wedge issue so it might clear this up quickly.

Also says small increase to cap. Unclear if thats on top of the raises from rejected one, or small cap increase which would less than the previous offer (ie clawing back some of the cap increases in exchange for ratio adjustment).
Then again...

This was the ratio offer that had the two sides walk to a strike and start firing shots at each other in the media. Will go over like a lead balloon.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not surprising, I kind of figured the CFL would dig in. It's kind of shitty to hold a lot of (relatively) low wage employees hostage like that in a city/country most aren't from though.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Not surprising, I kind of figured the CFL would dig in. It's kind of shitty to hold a lot of (relatively) low wage employees hostage like that in a city/country most aren't from though.

I mean the CFLPA's leadership and chosen representatives agreed to a deal. The PA then backed out. If you cant trust the guy negotiating the deal across the table from you, you kind of have to dig in and play hardball.

Unions have the moral high ground from the word go, IMO. They are there to support the workers. CFLPA though handed it over when they rejected the deal the leadership and reps agreed to. They lost the ability to call foul, IMO. The players wanted war, thats what theyll get now. Honestly the PA just cost themselves a ton of money and 1 fulltime spot starter spot in exchange for two other spots that in practice would have been no more than 25-30% used by americans, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad