Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You aren’t saving any money and you don’t think it leads to a talent increase . There’s no reason for the league to propose this. Your take seems to make it more of a priority for the PA for fair pay….but I have never seen that.

To change the ratio over a couple of exceptions on a level playing field would be stupid. Youre just moving money from one pocket to another.

Yes I agree it was a stupid thing for the CFL to propose, and it won't happen. And the PA doesn't give a shit about fair pay. Only the most pay they can get. So since the PA leadership has traditionally been stacked with far more Canadians than Americans, so they are big fans of Canadians being over priced versus Americans. It has started to change with a few Americans in past 2-5 years getting involved with the PA (Solomon Eliminian and Adam Bighill) but it used to ONLY be Canadians that were on the negotiating committees and in the leadership of the PA. That aspect is important to keep in mind.

PA has traditionally defended the ratio, so it can be strategic from CFL side. An area that it's easy area for CFL to give ground to PA, in order to gain concessions elsewhere. But again alot of teams get frustrated with overpriced Canadians. I know it's not super logical, but you read the comments of sources from behind the scenes of teams management and it's pretty clear they irrationally hate on this aspect, right or wrong, cap or no, whether it's just moving money around they still hate it.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Blue is "locked in" - I'm 95 plus % sure they will return
Gold is "fairly certain" - I think they'll be back, but might change with retirement or salary considerations or opportunities elsewhere
Green is "unsure" - This could fall either way. It's also the colour I will use for "it doesn't really matter"
Red is "unlikely" - I don't think this player will return
* = American
** = Global
QBs
1. Zach Collaros (FA Feb 22)
2. Sean Maguire (FA Feb 22)
3. Dru Brown (FA)
Leagues MOP will be back. They'll have to pay ALOT more after the year he's had obviously which might necessitate some cuts elsewhere, but you can guarantee Zach Collaros will be back. I'm fairly sure Sean Maguire will also be back. They trust him on short yardage, he's still relatively young for a CFL QB and they've been developing. Won't hurt that he will be cheap after his poor performance in the meaningless rain game. Dru Brown will likely be in a dog fight with 1-2 rookie QB's to hold onto that #3 spot. These kind of deep discussions are too hard to predict for me so who knows there.

RBs
1. Andrew Harris (FA Feb 22)
2. Brady Oliveira (FA Feb 22)
3. Johnny Augustine (FA Feb 22)
4. Shaq Cooper* (FA)

5. FB Mike Miller (FA Feb 22)
Will he retire? There's been some speculation but I don't see Andrew Harris not returning. I think it will be more of a commitee though. Not sure Harris is going to like that much, but I think he will understand after the injuries started to add up this year. Oliveira is the heir apparent and they won't be letting him go until he's a proven bust. Almost inarguably the best RB prospect in the CFL despite some up and down this year coming back from the devasting injury in 2019. After watching Powell (SSK), Flanders (OTT), Butler (BC), White (TOR) plod to sub 5ypc seasons as Americans there's going to be a ton of teams drooling over the Canadian Augustine who had 285yds on just 40 carries for a 7.1ypc. He will find a starting role. Cooper sucks, bye. Miller will return if he wants to, retirement may loom.

WR
1. Kenny Lawler* (FA Feb 22)
2. Rasheed Bailey* (FA Feb 22)
3. Nic Demski (FA Feb 22)

4. Darvin Adams* (FA Feb 22)
5. Drew Wolitarsky (FA Feb 22)
6. Janarion Grant* (FA Feb 22)

7. Kelvin McKnight* (FA)
8. Brendan O'Leary-Orange (Signed for 22)
9. Charles Nelson* (FA)
10. James Tyrell (FA)
11. Carlton Agudosi* (FA)

Kenny Lawler is the best WR in the CFL, IMO. And we are likely going to get a discount on him due to his personal issues this year. Bailey, Demski, Wolitarsky are in comfortable roles that fit their playstyles, I can't see them getting more money/playing time moving on. I'm convinced Janarion Grant was never fully healthy this year. Game 1 they were trying to use him ala Brandon Banks but he goes down, is out quite awhile, then never quite looked right other than a game or two. I think they'll get him back healthy, and start to use him as a returned and WR next year. The last blue name up there is O'Leary-Orange, he's a top prospect who for some reason started on PR but worked his way onto the roster. I think the Bombers were for a better word testing him early as they've been burned by guys like Simonise in poor work ethic. Adams I put on unlikely since I'm not sure he is needed anymore and they might not want to spend the money on a guy who has fallen to be a #4/5 that struggles with health. And that great GC game might have other teams interested, particularly those lacking in quality veteran leadership (cough Ti-Cats cough). McKnight I just don't know. Tyrell was the back-up canadian WR before O'Leary-Orange replaced him around week 8/9/10. I didn't really even notice him on ST, and our ST sucked early. Undrafted canadians tend to bounce around. Agudosi spent the entire year on the PR. Can't tell if he'll be back, but I gotta think a 6'6'' WR gets another camp. The one thing Cooper proved was that Nelson is done like dinner, american returners are a dime a dozen they'll have rookies in to push Grant.

OL
LT Stanley Bryant* (FA Feb 22)
LG Patrick Neufeld (FA Feb 22)
C Michael Couture (FA Feb 22)
RG Drew Desjarlais (FA Feb 22)
RT Jamarcus Hardrick* (FA Feb 22)
6. C/G Asotui Eli (FA Feb 22)
7. G Geoff Gray (FA Feb 22)
8. C/G Chris Kolankowski (FA Feb 22)
9. G/T Drew Richmond* (Signed for 22)
10. OL Jalen Burks* (FA)
11. OL Tomoya Machino** (FA)
4 of the 5 starters were all-stars, this is an amazing group. Bryant, Hardrick, and Couture I'm pretty sure will be back. Couture I might be more unsure off but they let go of Speller after 2019 when Couture was injured so they clearly love him. Kolankowski is in blue since he's been working his way up and I think some of the logjam ahead of him might clear. Neufeld is a retirement risk I think why he's only gold. Desjarlais is maybe just my being nervous about having our star guards leave for home (Chung, Labatte). Gray I think will be back IF one of of the 3 interior starters aren't back. At this point Gray has to eyeing a starting role. Richmond only played like 6 snaps after being the 3rd tackle on the roster, they will probably give him another chance. Machino is a Global who was a 2nd rounder in 2021, I've been told he is a physical beast but no technique when he was drafted. I think they'll keep developing. Eli was downgraded due to vaccine status. No team wants a player that can only play home games. Burks I know nothing about but he never got off PR.

DL
DE Willie Jefferson* (FA Feb 22)
DT Jake Thomas (FA Feb 22)
DT Steven Richardson* (FA Feb 22)
DE Jackson Jeffcoat* (FA Feb 22)
5. DE Jonathan Kongbo (FA Feb 22)
6. DT Casey Sayles* (Signed for 22)

7. DE Thiadric Hansen** (FA Feb 22)
8. DT Ricky Walker* (Signed for 22)
9. DE Tobi Antigha* (FA)
10. DT Ezekiel Rose* (FA Feb 22)
This is going to be a bit of a scramble here. And they might have to make new plans going forward. Willie will be back as superstar and Hansen will be back in a rotational role again. Outside of that, I just don't know. Thomas could retire. He could be back. If Thomas leaves, you might have to go to Kongbo starting at DE meaning Jeffcoat will get big money elsewhere. If Thomas stays and Jeffcoat is brought back Kongbo likely leaves looking for a starting spot. Sayles and Richardson are probably only both returning if Thomas retires, otherwise just one. We have 6 starting calibre guys, only 4 spots and every other team is dying to steal some of our pieces here. Walker and Rose might be back as backups, idk much about either Walker didn't play too much and Rose barely at all. Antigha fell out of favour as a pass rusher early and never got back onto roster so he'll move on. Look for Bombers to target DL at the draft.

LB
1. Adam Bighill* (FA Feb 22)
2. Kyrie Wilson* (Signed for 22)
3. Jesse Briggs (FA Feb 22)

4. Shayne Gauthier (FA Feb 22)
5. Tanner Cadwallader (Signed for 22)
6. Kevin Brown* (Signed for 22)

7. Robbie Lowes (FA)
8. Les Maruo** (FA)
9. Ayo Oyelola** (FA)

After some early injuries Kyrie settled in and was an underrated player on this D. Made that pick to clinch it though which capped a wonderful GC game for him. Briggs is a guy they value alot as a canadian including regularly getting him into the game on defense. So much so they slowly released every other true replacement LB on the roster. Bighill is in gold only because once you get to a certain age retirement seems likely every year. Hard to see that coming of DPOTY award but you never know. Gauthier is a key ST, and even played on D at times but who knows canadian STers rove in CFL. Lowes is ST prospect. The two globals I think will be back, Maruo started on roster but struggled on ST and fell out of favour. He was a #4 overall pick in global draft so I think he gets another chance. British Ayo Oyelola got into one of the meaningless games idk but feel like why not. Cadwallader idk STer. Brown is only not red since he somehow kept getting onto roster. Never played D, in fact terrible defense players like Gautheir played over him on D. But they kept bringing back this american to be ST only. Perplexing to me so I made him green instead of red.

DB
BCB Winston Rose* (FA Feb 22)
BHB Deatrick Nichols* (Signed for 22)
S Brandon Alexander* (FA Feb 22)
FLB Alden Darby* (FA Feb 22)
FHB Nick Taylor* (FA Feb 22)
FCB DeAundre Alford* (Signed for 22)
7. CB/HB/LB Mike Jones* (FA Feb 22)
8. S Nick Hallett (FA Feb 22)
9. S Noah Hallett (Signed for 22)

10. LB/S Redha Kramdhi (Signed for 22)
11. HB/CB Josh Miller* (Signed for 22)
12. LB/HB Josh Johnson* (FA Feb 22)
13. LB/HB Mercy Maston* (FA Feb 22)
14. HB/CB Demario Houston* (FA)

15. LB/S Sergio Schiaffino-Perez** (FA)
This is the group that made it out of mad scramble for spots at the start of the year to end the year. Rose and Alexander are the two big targets to return and I think they'll get them back. Taylor, Jones are versatile guys that are lower key and probably more realistic salary wise to re-sign. The Hallett bros are potential starters at S but I think they'll try to bring both back as backups for that depth and they get to play together. Darby might have priced himself out of Winnipeg with his great 2nd half of the year, if he leaves I'm guessing they take a shot in the dark on Johnson or Maston who both spent the whole season out with injury. Alford might get an NFL look. Kramdhi got moved to backup FLB and is great ST so we'll see. Schiaffino-Perez was elevated to active roster for 1 game when it mattered and it could have been any canadian instead so they clearly like him still. Nichols is lower due to he's going NFL, IMO. Miller and Houston are the only two of about 7 rookie backup DB's that started on roster/practice roster after camp ended but idk if they'll be back. Johnson/Maston I mentioned earlier hurt all year, who knows.

ST
LS Mike Benson (FA Feb 22)
K Sergio Castillo* (FA Feb 22)
K/P Marc Liegghio (Signed for 22)
K Ali Mourtada* (FA)
K Tyler Crapigna (FA Feb 22)

Liegghio will be back as the punter. I think they will keep developing his kicking as well to hopefully make him a canadian K/P. Castillo I think will be back but they paid him basically a king's ransom to come back. Unlikely they can afford that next year my one concern. Benson seemed to be hinting at retirement before the GC. Mourtada and Crapigna are done.

I posted this on Dec 14 last year. Overall I think I did ok. I'm going to put this back up with updates on where each player who ended 2021 on the Grey Cup roster ended up. Because I'm bored on a Friday. I'll leave the colours so you all can laugh at my predictions.
Players names reflect the colour in this legend
Blue is "locked in" - I'm 95 plus % sure they will return
Gold is "fairly certain" - I think they'll be back, but might change with retirement or salary considerations or opportunities elsewhere
Green is "unsure" - This could fall either way. It's also the colour I will use for "it doesn't really matter"
Red is "unlikely" - I don't think this player will return
New team is reflected in this legend
Blue - Back with Bombers
Black - Signed in NFL
Green - Signed elsewhere in CFL
Red - No new team (unsigned/retired)

QBs
1. Zach Collaros - BLUE BOMBERS
2. Sean Maguire - RETIRED
3. Dru Brown - BLUE BOMBERS

RBs
1. Andrew Harris - ARGONAUTS
2. Brady Oliveira - BLUE BOMBERS
3. Johnny Augustine - BLUE BOMBERS
4. Shaq Cooper* - ROUGHRIDERS
5. FB Mike Miller - BLUE BOMBERS

WR
1. Kenny Lawler* - ELKS
2. Rasheed Bailey* - BLUE BOMBERS
3. Nic Demski - BLUE BOMBERS

4. Darvin Adams* - REDBLACKS
5. Drew Wolitarsky - BLUE BOMBERS
6. Janarion Grant* - BLUE BOMBERS

7. Kelvin McKnight* - BLUE BOMBERS
8. Brendan O'Leary-Orange - BLUE BOMBERS

9. Charles Nelson* - ELKS
10. James Tyrell -
UNSIGNED/RETIRED?
11. Carlton Agudosi* - BLUE BOMBERS

OL
LT Stanley Bryant* - BLUE BOMBERS
LG Patrick Neufeld - BLUE BOMBERS
C Michael Couture - BLUE BOMBERS

RG Drew Desjarlais - PATRIOTS (NFL)
RT Jamarcus Hardrick* - BLUE BOMBERS
6. C/G Asotui Eli - UNSIGNED/RETIRED?
7. G Geoff Gray - BLUE BOMBERS
8. C/G Chris Kolankowski - BLUE BOMBERS

9. G/T Drew Richmond* - BLUE BOMBERS
10. OL Jalen Burks* - BLUE BOMBERS
11. OL Tomoya Machino** - BLUE BOMBERS

DL
DE Willie Jefferson* - BLUE BOMBERS
DT Jake Thomas - BLUE BOMBERS
DT Steven Richardson* - LIONS
DE Jackson Jeffcoat* -
BLUE BOMBERS
5. DE Jonathan Kongbo -
BRONCOS (NFL)
6. DT Casey Sayles* -
BLUE BOMBERS
7. DE Thiadric Hansen** -
UNSIGNED/RETIRED
8. DT Ricky Walker* - BLUE BOMBERS
9. DE Tobi Antigha* - ELKS
10. DT Ezekiel Rose* - ROUGHRIDERS

LB
1. Adam Bighill* - BLUE BOMBERS
2. Kyrie Wilson* - BLUE BOMBERS
3. Jesse Briggs - BLUE BOMBERS

4. Shayne Gauthier - BLUE BOMBERS
5. Tanner Cadwallader - BLUE BOMBERS
6. Kevin Brown* - UNSIGNED/RETIRED?
7. Robbie Lowes - BLUE BOMBERS
8. Les Maruo** - BLUE BOMBERS
9. Ayo Oyelola** -
JAGUARS (NFL)

DB
BCB Winston Rose* - BLUE BOMBERS
BHB Deatrick Nichols* - BLUE BOMBERS
S Brandon Alexander* - BLUE BOMBERS

FLB Alden Darby* - TIGER CATS
FHB Nick Taylor* - BLUE BOMBERS
FCB DeAundre Alford* - FALCONS (NFL)
7. CB/HB/LB Mike Jones* - ALOUETTES
8. S Nick Hallett - BLUE BOMBERS
9. S Noah Hallett - BLUE BOMBERS

10. LB/S Redha Kramdhi - BLUE BOMBERS
11. HB/CB Josh Miller* - BLUE BOMBERS
12. LB/HB Josh Johnson* - UNSIGNED/RETIRED?
13. LB/HB Mercy Maston* -
BLUE BOMBERS
14. HB/CB Demario Houston* -
BLUE BOMBERS
15. LB/S Sergio Schiaffino-Perez** - UNSIGNED/RETIRED?

ST
LS Mike Benson - BLUE BOMBERS
K Sergio Castillo* - ELKS
K/P Marc Liegghio - BLUE BOMBERS
K Ali Mourtada*- BLUE BOMBERS
K Tyler Crapigna - UNSIGNED/RETIRED?

My biggest misses were certainly that I thought they'd find a way to pay Lawler, thought they'd sign Harris and release Augustine, didn't see the NFL scoops Desjarlais or Alford, and was surprised they are giving Mourtada another chance. But I don't really mind any of those things at all.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Chris Jones is a blight on this league but the CFLPA looks weak kowtowing to him. I'm surprised they didn't heel turn and bait him into retaliation after they basically called him out.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Might not even be days, they might get it done tomorrow by the sound of things.

Agreed. I'm not concerned right now. By if this is still dragging on on Wednesday is first time I would start to get nervous. Bombers do have a pre-season game in 8 days, but it's just pre-season playing a few days of practice isn't a big deal.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Will be interesting to see what they did with the ratio

That part doesnt sound like its in doubt. Both players and league confirmed their ok with it as proposed in latest offer. Which is 6 starting canadians and a 7th spot which can be a canadian or a "veteran" american (has to have 4 years experience in cfl).

Reactions: WolfHouse

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Stamps, Elks may practice on Wednesday instead of going on strike: report - 3DownNation

Well something odd here. I hope its not players crossing the picket line here. They are supposed to be in legal strike position tmw, if they fold the PA is DOA. Cant stand the selfishness of crossing a picket line.

It's due to Alberta Labor Laws.

Members of the CFL’s other seven teams have been on strike since Sunday, though players in Calgary and Edmonton needed to work for three days before legally being able to strike according to Alberta’s labor laws. As such, Wednesday is the first day they are eligible to engage in a work stoppage.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Obviously a CBA is necessary but this should not have come to this. For a league with a tenuous hold on fans interest at best, it can’t afford to become more of an afterthought.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It's due to Alberta Labor Laws.

Members of the CFL’s other seven teams have been on strike since Sunday, though players in Calgary and Edmonton needed to work for three days before legally being able to strike according to Alberta’s labor laws. As such, Wednesday is the first day they are eligible to engage in a work stoppage.

No i know that. But Wednesday is tomorrow. The draconian anti-union laws in Alberta have kept them from striking until today (Camp started Sunday, tmw is day 4), but why the hell would they be crossing picket lines tomorrow to practice?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Tricky situation, not a rich league. I assume they’ll figure it out.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
No i know that. But Wednesday is tomorrow. The draconian anti-union laws in Alberta have kept them from striking until today (Camp started Sunday, tmw is day 4), but why the hell would they be crossing picket lines tomorrow to practice?
If every player on those teams shows up for practice, they aren't really crossing picket lines, are they?

None

Feb 22, 2012
If every player on those teams shows up for practice, they aren't really crossing picket lines, are they?

How would it not be? If they're members of the CFLPA and the remaining 7 teams are on strike and 2 teams decide on their own that they're just going to show up to work then it hurts the bargaining power of the rest.

I don't think that's the case though, it sounds more like there's some question of when they're actually legally allowed to begin strike action. If it's 72 hours following the vote being verified or whether it's 72 hours from the day that it was scheduled.
If there's any question of the legality of strike action though then the CFLPA has a shitty legal team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad