Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
My notes will mostly involve just players that made me look at "who the hell is that" the most. Both good and bad.

OL Tomoya Machino - Japanese guy drafted in 2nd round of global draft in 2021. He was a beast at RG in that game. Lining up with the #1's in place of Patrick Neufeld helped, but there was one run in particular where he had to pull from RG and ends up sealing the end on the left with a great shutdown block. Very impressive and could certainly force himself into the conversation about depth OL.

DT Cole Adamson - I mean it was mostly one play, but what a play. From the DT spot he bullrush through 2 blockers and wraps up the QB. It was an impressive show of strength. He is a great prospect, albeit returning to U of M this year so one to watch for next year.

S Malcolm Thompson - What a performance from him. While I'm not sure how well he will be in coverage, he is at very least Taylor Loffler part 2. Runs downhill with a purpose and shows great timing. Hits like a ton of bricks. I think he just put himself in the lead for the S job until Alexander gets healthy.

S Nick Hallett - The other end of the spectrum from Thompson. He struggled in many respects tonight, IMO. Missed some tackles, overrunning plays. Not impressed.

WR Dalton Schoen - He looked damn near identical to Greg Ellingson out there. I swear I thought it was Ellingson at first. Not speedy, not big just a dependable solid option. Looks every bit Ellingson part 2.

RB Greg McCrae - This is one I didn't expect to like. An American RB behind our 3 Canadians, good luck. But he stood out. Looked explosive in the return game, and looked solid running routes as he played for a bit as a SB. That versatility gives him a chance.

DL Cedric Wilcots - Noticed him being pretty disruptive out there. They had him out on kick cover as well which is surprising for a man of his size. Think he has a chance on the DL.

SLB Donald Rutledge Jr - Has some serious hustle on him. Has good speed gets around the field and some size on him to step up in the hole as an actual LB when needed. Might be a good find for the Maston injury.

RB Johnny Augustine - This guys impresses damn near every time the ball in his hands. He is going to force the Bombers to play him more and more, IMO.

QB Dru Brown - He looked fine. He looked like a CFL rookie getting his feet wet. I know he spent a bunch of time on PR last year and played that garbage time half, but he looked much more comfortable this year. QB prospects are rarely electric early, who knows.

QB Dakota Prukop - Did not look very impressive. Tough to have any rhythm in pre-season, no panic there yet, IMO. He'll still enter the year as the backup.

LB Les Maruo - Played quite a bit at WLB. Looked WAY more comfortable out there this year. He was either unsure or just randomly throwing himself at people last year in limited action. He is likely to be the primary Global on the roster this year unless Bombers convince Hansen to come back (new CBA does say Globals must be paid at least league minimum, not sure if they can get more).

CB Winston Rose - Looked rusty uninterested. Hard to judge veterans like this though.

DB Demario Houston - Thought he looked pretty ok. Seemed to be in control and finding his coverages.

DB Josh Miller - Expected more from a year 2 guy, even if he was just a PR guy last year.

DB Evan Holm - I follow ALOT of Bomber stuff in all sorts of media. This is one of the few names I hadn't heard anything about at all. He dropped his first punt return. Showed ok burst in his other ones, but I thought he struggled in coverage when he went in late. Hard to say though since I thought Tyrell Ford was really struggling beside him (Ford was playing corner, Holm HB).

LB Malik Clements - One of the brighter spots on defense once they got deep into the backups. Thought he brought some energy and physicality at MLB.

RB Kyle Borsa - Disappointing first showing from the rookie. Likely to be RB #3 though so no real worries right now.

DB Redha Kramdhi - Thought he was trying to do too much out there. Got extensive looks at SLB, but overall wasn't quite up to where I'd have hoped for for a guy that should be pushing to play some defense this year after a year of great ST play.

K/P Ali Mourtada - Missed another f***ing XP. I've been trying to think about the hashmarks moving in will help him, he's making cheering for him very hard. For a guy who's never punted before he actually punted fairly decently though.

Few more guys like DL Will Evans, WR TJ Simmons, WR Lucky Jackson, WR Blake Jackson, DB Patrice Rene, DL Jordan Bernier, OL Liam Dobson, K/P Marc Liegghio all had some moments, hard to say where they landed.

Felt bad for DB Marlon Character. Looked like he was in alot of pain, potentially knee. It was on ST in the 2nd quarter before he likely would have had some defense time, tough break.

Tommorrow will be interesting. As I mentioned before I'm expecting 10-15 cuts to come tommorrow. For alot of those guys it might the last time they will be able to play pro football. It's a tough thing, even if the guys just aren't up to snuff, you are still ending dreams.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Really shocked that the Bombers didn't bring kicking competition into camp. Will need another mid-season signing imo

Just listening on radio - but some bad decisions by prukop... bit concerning.

Still think every WIL in the league is under threat - basically going to need seven DB and a middle linebacker

Always cheered for Augustine... but my first signing would be a vet american RB to take 49% of the reps...

Reactions: sipowicz

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Really shocked that the Bombers didn't bring kicking competition into camp. Will need another mid-season signing imo

Just listening on radio - but some bad decisions by prukop... bit concerning.

Still think every WIL in the league is under threat - basically going to need seven DB and a middle linebacker

Always cheered for Augustine... but my first signing would be a vet american RB to take 49% of the reps...

Well the 49% thing doesn't happen until next year. But more than that I'd bet Augustine and Oliveira are top 8 in the CFL in talent, regardless of passport. There's no American they can bring in that will pass those two, even if you eliminated the ratio, IMO. Oliveira is still only 24yo, it took Harris awhile to figure out when to use his physicality. Oliveira is just starting to get it. And Augustine, he is so dynamic. But don't let that fool you, he does not go down. He had one run where he got about 15 yards on his quickness, then bowled over another tackle and bounced off for another 5-6 yards. He's legit top talent. Meanwhile you have teams signing plodding useless guys like Powell to be starters. We are blessed at RB and have no need for American.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Well the 49% thing doesn't happen until next year. But more than that I'd bet Augustine and Oliveira are top 8 in the CFL in talent, regardless of passport. There's no American they can bring in that will pass those two, even if you eliminated the ratio, IMO. Oliveira is still only 24yo, it took Harris awhile to figure out when to use his physicality. Oliveira is just starting to get it. And Augustine, he is so dynamic. But don't let that fool you, he does not go down. He had one run where he got about 15 yards on his quickness, then bowled over another tackle and bounced off for another 5-6 yards. He's legit top talent. Meanwhile you have teams signing plodding useless guys like Powell to be starters. We are blessed at RB and have no need for American.
I've pumped augustines tires for a few years now - and as a kr/pr actually... but I'm not as sold on oliviera - that being said an OL and a good Playaction QB goes a long way

I'm still hoping to see thunder and lightning again someday

I'd still make that position the 49%... demski and woli are locked in

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I've pumped augustines tires for a few years now - and as a kr/pr actually... but I'm not as sold on oliviera - that being said an OL and a good Playaction QB goes a long way

I'm still hoping to see thunder and lightning again someday

I'd still make that position the 49%... demski and woli are locked in

Wolitarsky is a big meh to me. I think O'Leary-Orange might start to and maybe even will overtake him this year. O'Leary-Orange is a potentially huge weapon for us. 6'4" fast WR that put up some good numbers at Nevada when healthy. Think hed be a decent prospect even as an American but he's got a Canadian passport. I think hes gonna be a real player.

With this group i dont think the Bombers would even use any american to rotate in on offense.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Wolitarsky is a big meh to me. I think O'Leary-Orange might start to and maybe even will overtake him this year. O'Leary-Orange is a potentially huge weapon for us. 6'4" fast WR that put up some good numbers at Nevada when healthy. Think hed be a decent prospect even as an American but he's got a Canadian passport. I think hes gonna be a real player.

With this group i dont think the Bombers would even use any american to rotate in on offense.
I feel like you are falling into the shiny new toy zone... woli us the reliable catcher and blocker you want - of course maybe that changes with the hashmarks but oleary orange isn't the speedster you need if that side opens up either

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
With the hashmarks, I'd look at
Bailey-ellingson-woli-demski-grant
Or sit woli and run 2rbs

Really think the CFL will change this year

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
With the hashmarks, I'd look at
Bailey-ellingson-woli-demski-grant
Or sit woli and run 2rbs

Really think the CFL will change this year

I figure thats likely the starting group. Schoen will likely be the DI for the WR group.

I will say O'Shea has brought up O'Leary-Orange unprompted during TC talking about his improvement though. He was also getting work with the #1s in camp. Wolitarsky is the dependable old school sure handed reliable blocking wide side WR, but as you mentioned with the hashmarks I think that role might start to evaporate. It will become more important to have weapons at all 5 spots, and the upside of O'Leary-Oranfe is intriguing. But you're right you never know with WR. Rashaad Simonise has all the tools to be an elite WR but his 10 cent head would never allow him to develop.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I figure thats likely the starting group. Schoen will likely be the DI for the WR group.

I will say O'Shea has brought up O'Leary-Orange unprompted during TC talking about his improvement though. He was also getting work with the #1s in camp. Wolitarsky is the dependable old school sure handed reliable blocking wide side WR, but as you mentioned with the hashmarks I think that role might start to evaporate. It will become more important to have weapons at all 5 spots, and the upside of O'Leary-Oranfe is intriguing. But you're right you never know with WR. Rashaad Simonise has all the tools to be an elite WR but his 10 cent head would never allow him to develop.
I mean I'd move Woli to SB... and get Demski and Grant going long

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
1653838149263.png

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Collaros won't play in pre-season. Very few starters are making the trip to Saskatchewan. Names I'm most interested in watching tommorrow are...
69 OL Tomoya Machino - Looked great Friday, can he keep it up when not surrounded by the best OL in the league?
38 RB/SB Greg McCrae - With no Augustine/Oliveira wondering if he will get more reps at RB and show what he can do. In a tough spot with 3 Canadians ahead of him on the depth chart, but return ability might get him a spot.
84 WR Brendan O'Leary-Orange - Has had alot of people talking about him in camp, be interesting if he can get that to translate to the pre-season game.
89 WR TJ Simmons - One of the few WR that stood out to me after the starters came out on Friday
83 WR Dalton Schoen - Looks to have a chance at starting, needs to keep showing up
21 S Nick Hallett - IF he wants any chance of starting at S to open the season he will need to have big game. Thompson has opened a huge lead in the S battle, IMO
Basically all the secondary needs to show up big. Lots of open spots there, waiting to see who steps up. Thompson at S was the only standout on Friday, IMO. I think Demario Houston has the inside track on a job atm, but it's pretty wide open.
54 LB Malik Clements - I thought he played really well on Friday, not sure where he's going to fit on the roster this year if at all.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Early Thoughts

I like Dru Brown's composure. Not quite finding it as easy as last game, but he looked ok.
I am seeing the downside of Tomoya Machino. He is still beastly in run block, but he is very raw in pass protection. Is overly aggresive, even caused that one sack by hit the DE off his blocker into the QB. (EDIT: Just got beat in a straight run down by goalline not getting deep enough. Yeah still very raw)
Borsa might the best pass catcher among the national RB's.
Demario Houston is the safest most versatile of the american DBs.
Rutledge is gonna open the year as the SLB. Good player.
Shane Simpson can't pass protect at all haha.
Nick Hallett has been better today.

Reactions: None

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Prukop tackled around the neck the exact same way Suckskatchewan’s QB got tackled in the first half. Penalty for us, not one for Sask. You can tell these are the backup refs.

Reactions: Fairview

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ok here we go again, my thoughts on the players we saw. I'm not doing every player.
6 QB Dru Brown - Still looks composed in the pocket, like the signs we see. Not sure he did enough to climb to #2 and Prukop's 4th quarter
12 QB Dakota Prukop - We know he can run, we knew that before. Could he pass? He showed a bunch of flashes in that 4th quarter. I think he easily starts as the #2.
38 RB Greg McCrae - I think they'll find a way to keep him around. Dropped the one kickoff, but showed his return game last Friday. Showed great burst in the offense today. American, might be a PR stash due to Ratio, but a keeper.
29 RB Kyle Borsa - How much is all rookie OL he's has all preseason (he only came in on Friday after starters were removed), how much is a lack of burst? Not sure yet. But he is very fluid in his movements out of the backfield so does have good upside as a pass catcher out of the backfield.
17 WR BJ Muckelvene - Thought he had some real nice moments early, when it was more starters on both sides. Might be a guy they stash
87 WR Lucky Jackson - Looked good late, thought he was finding the soft areas pretty well.
71 WR Whop Philyor - Showed great speed on the TD, seems to be buried not sure if that was enough to make it.
52 OL Cameron Durley - Procedure call and he got burned every time I saw him. Doubt he makes team. Only seemed to be in late
64 OL Liam Dobson - I think he showed he was the best OL we brought. Opened some holes, looked consistent.
69 OL Tomoya Machino - Love the athleticism but he is very very raw. Struggles with decision making in pass protection, has trouble getting low in goalline. Needs more work, probably another year on PR for him.
92 DL Kenny Randall - Saw him make a few plays. Haven't heard much about him so I don't know if he has a chance, but he stood out a bit on a forgettable game for the DL.
54 LB Malik Clements - Played all game after playing quite a bit on Friday. Continued to impress, IMO. Even looked solid in pass coverage. Great depth to have behind Bighill and Wilson at LB.
21 S Nick Hallett - Looked better. More in control of himself. It's going to come down to coaches decision at S, IMO. The more controlled, safe, reliable, better coverage guy in Hallett, or the mack truck more hit and miss Thompson.
22 CB Tyqwan Glass - Looked much better. Stuck with his guys, wasn't as soft in his coverage. Rewarded with a right place right time pick.
35 DB Demario Houston - I think he'll make the team. Looked very reliable out there. Very versatile as well which is key for a backup DB.
38 SLB Donald Rutledge Jr - Has made the team as the starting SLB, IMO, until Maston returns.
42 DB Souleymane Karamonko - Another global with a solid pre-season game. Didn't play any defense, but looks fast and strong on ST. Probably tops out as a ST, but if you can get a good one with a global spot thats good enough. Likely the primary backup to Les Maruo as the Global on the roster.
45 DB Jamal Parker - Broadcast started to rave about him, but I thought he was really up and down. Very soft on some coverages, but did make a few plays. Hard to say.

I think some other DBs that are very questionable to make roster Javon Jackson, Zach Hannibal, Joseph Funk Clements really struggled out there. Poor Cedric Lavigne looked very outmatched on D. Ben Koczwara wasn't effective from C. Overall a meh game.

Best of luck to all the players over the next few days as decisions are made. Alot of these guys might never play again which sucks to think about as they are all great football players. But only so much room on the roster. For reference the Bombers are down to 75 plus non-counters right now (non-counters are guys like U of M QB Jackson Tachinski in camp for the experience, or the remaining Winnipeg Rifles junior guys, none of these guys are cracking the roster obviously). The Bombers will likely be keeping around 60-65 guys going into the season.

Oh and for the big obvious question here...I think the Bombers keep Liegghio as the K/P. The only thing that changes that is if Tom Hackett decides to return and he'll take over as P. Liegghio is going to be the kicker, IMO. He was 88% in USports, the guy was drafted as a kicker not punter primarily.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just for fun, I'll take a stab at what I think the roster will be.
Disclaimer: I am not an insider, so I don't know about injuries and what not. Sometimes theres like 2-3 guys start on IL, somtimes it's like 15. Hard to say. As well I have not seen the new CBA. I am not sure what the roster rules are like. I am going to assume that the roster rules are back to 2019 (46 players, min 3 QB, min 21 Canadians).
QB (3)
1. Zach Collaros
2. Dakota Prukop
3. Dru Brown
RB (4)
1a. Brady Oliveria
1b. Johnny Augustine
3. Kyle Borsa
4. Greg McCrae*
FB (1)
1. Mike Miller
WR (7)
1. Greg Ellingson*
2. Rashaad Bailey*
3. Nic Demski
4. Janarion Grant*
5. Drew Wolitarsky
6. Dalton Schoen*
7. Brendan O'Leary-Orange
OL (7)
LT Stanley Bryant*
LG Geoff Gray
C Michael Couture
RG Patrick Neufeld
RT Jamarcus Hardrick*
6. Liam Dobson
7. Chris Kolankowski
DE (3)
1. Willie Jefferson*
2. Jackson Jeffcoat*
3. Cedric Wilcots II*
DT (4)
1. Casey Sayles*
2. Jake Thomas
3. Cameron Lawson
4. Ricky Walker*
LB (5)
1. Adam Bighill*
2. Kyrie Wilson*
3. Jesse Briggs
4. Shayne Gauthier
5. Les Maruo**
DB (10)
CB Tyqwan Glass*
HB Nick Taylor*
S Nick Hallett
HB Deatrick Nichols*
CB Demerio Houston*
SLB Donald Rutledge Jr*
7. Malcolm Thompson
8. Redha Kramdi
9. Patrice Rene
10. Tyrell Ford
ST (2)
LS Mike Benson
K/P Marc Liegghio

PR (10+2Global)
DB Souleymane Karamako**
OL Tomoya Machino**
DB Chris Ciguineau
FB Antonio Valvano
LB Malik Clements*
OL Ben Koczwara
WR TJ Simmons*
WR Lucky Jackson*
WR Whop Philyor*
DB/LB Cedric Lavigne
DB Javon Jackson*
DL Rossini Sandjong

Injury Lists
DB Mercy Maston*
WR Carlton Agudosi*
CB Winston Rose*
OL Drew Richmond*
S Brandon Alexander*
LB Eric Mezzalira
Suspended List
P Tom Hackett

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

No real surprises. Its possible some of them return at some point for PR. Philyor, Muckelvene, Miller, Kohnson i expected to be in contention for PR spots but its still possible down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad