Biggest pet peeves in hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
What does it mean to be "found" tanking though? Coaches and players obviously don't try to lose.

Management moves may encourage the tank, but they also all have a clear purpose. Selling roster players for picks/prospects is simply good asset management. Over-seasoning a prospect in the minors is simply good development. It's part of the GM's job to balance short-term success with long-term success. So where does effective management end and tanking begin?
I think it’s one of the things that’s hard to define but you know it when you see it.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Goalies throwing any kind of a hit when outside the crease. This one comes to mind.

Skaters know that they can't touch the goalie, so they have to put themselves in vulnerable positions to try to avoid them, and when a goalie throws a hit, they're taking advantage of their protection to land a cheap shot.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
the rest of us fans outside of the original 6 having to hear how the original 6 being in the Cup Finals is the only way its interesting or fans wont watch.

The slingshot entry. Despise it. Dont know why the lead shorthanded forward doesnt take the puck 50% of the time when it happens.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
That when comparing players across years, people default to absolute values instead of rank and standard deviations. For instance, when people discuss hall of fame, they cherry pick X points in Y games, not acknowledging different scoring eras. They really should be saying player A consistent ranked 1-5 of scoring leaders each year.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
When I'm watching a high speed, entertaining hockey game and then a fight between f***ing Pat Maroon and Mark Borowiecki or whoever happens and now I gotta try my best to not instantly fall to sleep.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
The notion that a fight is required after a clean hit.

TBH, I've seen the refs/linesman ignore scrums before and play goes on. Is this allowed? TBH, I think it would be great if the play kept going on and one team starts a stupid scuffle with the guy while the other team goes on a 3 on 1 shooting gallery for 20-30 seconds.

Clean hit, pointless scrum? Let the dummies pull their own players off the play until something legit for play stoppage happens.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
TBH, I've seen the refs/linesman ignore scrums before and play goes on. Is this allowed? TBH, I think it would be great if the play kept going on and one team starts a stupid scuffle with the guy while the other team goes on a 3 on 1 shooting gallery for 20-30 seconds.

Clean hit, pointless scrum? Let the dummies pull their own players off the play until something legit for play stoppage happens.
I'm all for idiocy costing the team, but the person delivering a clean hit shouldn't have to run around worrying about defending themselves. It became "part of the game" in the 90s. It's something the league could easily weed out using existing rules. You chase a guy around the ice looking for instant retribution, you get 2, 5, and a game. A couple of weeks of that and it's done.

Reactions: Figgy44

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
All the politics. I prefer a simpler time when they just played hockey. There needs to be a cause every second game now.

Animated board ads on tv.

Cabbie.

In fact, all gambling and gaming segments.

Ads on jerseys.

No consensus on goalie interference.

Coaches review on any offside within two inches.

Ron McLean waxing poetic on every little thing.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Hockey players these days being booked in the community just for photo ops etc

Back in the 80’s players took an active role in their communities now it’s just for major hospitals.,which is good but get back to helping more of the poor kids in poor areas

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
When fans of Bottom feeder teams or teams that lose in the 1st round celebrate a regular season win against a top team like it means anything..no you’re still the laughing stock of the league

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I hate how all the same terrible coaches and GM’s just keep ending up coaching other teams regardless of how bad they are. Teams are more than happy to play hot potato with guys because of the behind the scenes old boys club.

How is Dallas Eakins still coaching in the league for example? He must have dirt on a lot of people because it surely isn’t due to his coaching ability.

Reactions: RegDunlop

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
The line of people around the glass during the warmup of every single game with a sign asking for a stick/puck. I call it beggars row. Half the time it isn't even kids. Get a job.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Advanced stats arguing which players are trash and who are great based on how their coach deploys them. Try the eye test and if you are unfamiliar with a player its ok to say I don't watch that player enough

The Sabres have done this for years and years, got away from it, and have now seemingly brought it back. The number of times Dahlin or Thompson has open ice ahead, 2 wingers alongside, and opts to drop it back to the last guy who now has to do the same skating but through more defenders and now stationary teammates.. f***ing why!? If you don’t change the angle of attack or misdirect anyone in any way then what in the f*** are you doing!?

The puck over the glass rule is stupid. A goalie or defender knocking their own net off should be 2 minutes. Attempts to block shots that shouldn’t be blocked. Those all irk me as well.

You should have seen mike rathje and other defense man who intentionally threw pucks into the stands. Those players are why its a penalty and not like icing

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
"Adjusted" stats in general. Not that things shouldn't be viewed in context but adjusted stats are nothing to me since there are way to many variables other than average scoring.

Not sure if it's a "pet peeve" but I am also tired of all the talk about "growing the game", I don't see any reason to grow the game better improve upon what's already there. Don't need more teams, higher salaries(they are ridiculous anyway) or viewers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samhockey3

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Advanced stats arguing which players are trash and who are great based on how their coach deploys them. Try the eye test and if you are unfamiliar with a player its ok to say I don't watch that player enough

You should have seen mike rathje and other defense man who intentionally threw pucks into the stands. Those players are why its a penalty and not like icing

I get that there was an original reason, but since it’s been a penalty 100% of them have been unintentional- the refs suck, but I’m cool with some discretion here. If it’s blatant or blatantly stupid.. penalty. If it’s a rolling puck under pressure, hey, maybe that isn’t the same infringement as elbowing a dude in the face. Calls would be argued over, but that happens anyways- at this point 75% of ‘em should just get ignored, and calls could just be made when a player does extra dumb and makes it questionable as to intent. When you think about it logically, it’s really just not worth it compared to other infractions- the NHL’s overly harsh penalty means no one actually does the thing they originally intended to punish (purposeful delay of game).

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I get that there was an original reason, but since it’s been a penalty 100% of them have been unintentional- the refs suck, but I’m cool with some discretion here. If it’s blatant or blatantly stupid.. penalty. If it’s a rolling puck under pressure, hey, maybe that isn’t the same infringement as elbowing a dude in the face. Calls would be argued over, but that happens anyways- at this point 75% of ‘em should just get ignored, and calls could just be made when a player does extra dumb and makes it questionable as to intent. When you think about it logically, it’s really just not worth it compared to other infractions- the NHL’s overly harsh penalty means no one actually does the thing they originally intended to punish (purposeful delay of game).

Then write the rule that way. What the refs “logically” thought the player wanted to do. Sounds more of a headache to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad