Biggest pet peeves in hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Probably the culture. Seeing on Twitter how many fans are openly homophobic is just depressing.

You also have other forms of hate and bigotry in this sport that is more prevalent than others such as racism, and rape culture.

• Haha
Reactions: PBandJ and McRpro

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
For me it’s the old boys club and the recycling of fired coaches and GMs thinking that it’ll be any different this time than the previous 3 times there were fired…

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Why sportsnet/tsn/the NHL now does all this trivial shit.

Hey, this player has the most goals scored on a Tuesday with a surname starting with N and has a birthday late than July.and between the 8th and 10th of the month.

But only for his team, not even league wide.

When the f*** did this shit start becoming popular ?

They are trying to convince you that you are watching something special......when in fact it is a Tuesday night game against a bottom of the league team and nobody cares.

My pet peeve - sports betting ANIEC.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The atrocity that is NHL goaltending these days that has now gone all the way down to the lowest levels of minor hockey.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
The NHL got rid of tie games, so every game must have a winner and a loser. There's nothing wrong with referring to the point given to the loser of an OT/SO game as a loser point.
Well, unless your team gets a lot of them, then you feel shame and want the term changed.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
The NHL got rid of tie games, so every game must have a winner and a loser. There's nothing wrong with referring to the point given to the loser of an OT/SO game as a loser point.
There are still ties in the NHL. They're regulation ties.

Both teams get one point for tying in regulation.

It's a completely contrived "bonus" point as both teams have split the 2 points that are supposed to be allotted for each game.

what's annoying is that point comes from nowhere and shouldn't exist. each game is worth 2 points, if you win you get 2, back in the the day, if you tie you split, but because when they are tied after regulation now, in a league with no ties, a 3rd point magically appears. It's a ridiculous system that makes no sense other than for Bettman to lie to fans saying how much parity is in the League, and keep fans of bad teams buying tickets longer into the season thinking their team is "still in the playoff hunt"

go to a 3 point system, or do away with points altogether and do a straight win-loss record. any system is better than this.
Both teams get one point for tying in regulation. Fact.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
offside being challegable (if it's too fast for the ref to catch it, it probably didn't affect the goal)
puck over the glass being a MANDATORY penalty, just make it faceoff in their own zone unless it's egregious

if the league changed those 2 things, it would be so much better

Reactions: Off Sides

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Players who break or lose their stick and skate around without a stick being useless rather than taking a few seconds to get a stick and become useful again.

Fans who say "we" when talking about a team they are in no way a part of.

Reactions: Chuck Norris Trophy

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
as a panther fan, people who say we have no fans annoy the crap out of me.

as a hockey fan, people who shit on hockey from 20+ years ago and act like the stars back then would be bad today also annoy me lol

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
The way games are mandated to be officiated. They should just strictly call everything by the rules in every game and every moment of the game.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Players who break or lose their stick and skate around without a stick being useless rather than taking a few seconds to get a stick and become useful again.

Fans who say "we" when talking about a team they are in no way a part of.

Hell yeah I use we. I help fund that team by buying tickets, merchandise, etc. If it wasn’t for fans like myself (and a lot others), there would be no team to speak of, Jack.

Reactions: OrangePMD

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hell yeah I use we. I help fund that team by buying tickets, merchandise, etc. If it wasn’t for fans like myself (and a lot others), there would be no team to speak of, Jack.
Pretty good example of why it gives me mild secondhand embarrassment really.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
"If you're a goalie, tend the goal"

No. Goalies have to play the puck. It's an essential part of their position. If they just didn't play the puck and let their D get hammered all game on the forecheck, they would be unpopular real quick.

It's an easy thing to say when the goalie makes a brain dead play or a super unfortunate bounce comes out of it but this stupid quote people keep parroting from Steve is f***ing obnoxious.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is an islanders related one, but the endless reluctance to just shoot the puck when theres a lane

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
People that believe that jinxes are real. I can say “this goalie is going to get a shutout” as many times as I want. I am not going to affect the game in any way sitting on my couch.

THANKS A BUNCH! I just let in 8 goals reading your post!

Reactions: JMCx4

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Loser points... Shootouts / players that go so slow doing them...three on three needs to be regulated somehow to prevent the reset/ wasting of time...

Refs demanding attention and delaying the faceoff while performing their ref squat...like they think fans are impressed by their postures or something.

Game management.

Toronto

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
One big pet peeve of mine is fans putting all the blame on their team's losses on effort more often than not. They love to pretend their team would go 82-0 if they just tried. Completely disregarding that, just maybe, the opposing team was just better.

I don't know if this is something specific to the Lightning board where I hang around or if it's universal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad