Biggest pet peeves in hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
The powerplay breakout drop pass

This. The slingshot is the most frustrating thing in hockey. Feels like some coaches are being blackmailed into using it. It won’t work for an entire PP and there it is again the next one. For every single entry. No variation to keep them guessing. Just failed entry after failed entry. I’ve seen it become so predictable that PK units were literally cheating up and jumping it. Get one new idea please for sake of humanity.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
If this was unique to the Islanders, "SHOO-ooooot!" wouldn't be such a universally recognized hockey meme.
yeah but here's the thing: THEY LITERALLY DON'T EVEN SHOOT THE PUCK. at least any other team has people smart enough to just throw the puck at the net and hope to god it'll bounce it. The islanders are so pants on head stupid that they PASS with an open net.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Fans referring to players by their first name. but drives me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ulysses31

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
"Fighting is allowed in the NHL"

No it f***ing isn't. It's a penalty. It's against the rules. It's just not against the rules enough.
Its an infraction, but it’s not banned. If it was it’d carry an automatic suspension like an intentional hit to the head is meant to. It’s semantics but there’s certainly no appetite to remove it from the game.

Reactions: Windy River

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Fans referring to players by their first name. but drives me crazy.
Hardly unique to hockey. Fans do it in all sports. Heck, fans do it in every endeavor. It's not uncomon for Blue Jays fans to refer to Bichette and Guererro Jr. as Bo and Vladdy. I've seen Star Wars fans refer to Fisher, Hamill, and Ford as Carrie, Mark, and Harrison. I've seen music fans refer to Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, and Starr as John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
When people completely disregard the butterfly effect and score-effects when a call goes against their team (ex: "If X player scored on that wide open net for our first goal we would have gone to overtime tied 3-3 instead of losing 3-2 and atleast gotten a point")
It’s like some people don’t realize a completely different game would be played if you change a single event.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
+1000. But those people will NEVER leave "we" behind, because without obsessively believing they are a part of "we" they won't survive.

Come on now. They don't use it all the time.

"We won the game!"

But also:

"They lost the game."

In all seriousness, I do say it because it's just easier to insert into conversation, in terms of an "us and them" perspective when talking about the team you cheer for and the opposition.

It's simpler to say "We've got to deal with their counter-attacks better." as opposed to "They've got to stand up to their, by them I mean the other team, counter-attacks better."

It's fast and there's less ambiguity, and there's something oddly formal about using the team names in a sentence in discussion throughout an entire game.

"I hope the Senators keep it up. They've got to deal with those Penguins before the Penguins bring the puck back into the Senators end and a few of the Sens end up in the penalty box."

For the record, I don't think I'm part of the organization or anything. It's just a label.

I will certainly watch neutral games and I obviously manage - I think the "we and them" thing is just a shortcut because the vast majority of games that I watch involve the Senators.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It’s like some people don’t realize a completely different game would be played if you change a single event.
Yup. It's the same thing with traded players who go on to do well elsewhere. Therre's no guarantee that the player would have developed the same way in the original system. See some Leafs fans and Mason Marchment.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I see that and raise you the people who think the name is spelled Nicklas “Lindstrom”.
Given the general poor grip on English spelling and grammar on these boards (and elsewhere), it's hardly surprising that foreign names give people difficulty. What really bugs me is that they just don't care. They're typing a post on a device with a web browser. It takes about five seconds to double check the spelling of a name.

Reactions: rfournier103

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
People who watched Fedorov break into the NHL and have a HOF career and 30+ years later they still think his name is "Federov"
Or "Lindstrom" for Nick Lidstrom.

I also loathe when there's a clean hit and the opposing team jumps the dude who threw the hit. I don't remember that ever happening in all my years playing hockey at a competitive level or seeing it in the NHL until the last 10 years or so. It's a contact sport, hitting is allowed. What happened to taking a player's number and paying them back later?

I'm sure both of these were already said but I don't feel like digging through posts lol.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Over passing, especially on the power play. Teams get caught up looking for perfect looks instead of getting pucks on the net. Good things happen when you keep it simple

A low percentage shot that is immediately turned over and cleared is equally frustrating...

Hockey is a hard sport, but these guys are generally pretty good at it.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Teams tanking .
Any teams found tanking should lose their draft pick not be rewarded with the best player in the draft.

What does it mean to be "found" tanking though? Coaches and players obviously don't try to lose.

Management moves may encourage the tank, but they also all have a clear purpose. Selling roster players for picks/prospects is simply good asset management. Over-seasoning a prospect in the minors is simply good development. It's part of the GM's job to balance short-term success with long-term success. So where does effective management end and tanking begin?

Last edited:
Reactions: rojac

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I also loathe when there's a clean hit and the opposing team jumps the dude who threw the hit. I don't remember that ever happening in all my years playing hockey at a competitive level or seeing it in the NHL until the last 10 years or so. It's a contact sport, hitting is allowed. What happened to taking a player's number and paying them back later?

I'm sure both of these were already said but I don't feel like digging through posts lol.

I think it’s sort of a calculated risk assessment.

Whenever the guy's teammates don't jump the guy after an egregious infraction, the fans and the media start griping about "guys on the ice not sticking up for each other".

I'd say in a lot of cases, the guys on the ice didn't see it very clearly, or at least most of them didn't.

You're better off jumping the guy and "standing up for your teammate" than holding back to see the replay on the iPad.

I also think there's actually more leniency for going after someone right away (they won't call any additional penalties, or they'll call coincidental minors) as opposed to taking your revenge later.

From a risk perspective, you're almost better off jumping in right away.

Reactions: Off Sides

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The bouncing tire on the virtual ads. I’m not buying your shitty product if it were last tire on earth. I’d rather walk.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad