Biggest pet peeves in hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I get that there was an original reason, but since it’s been a penalty 100% of them have been unintentional- the refs suck, but I’m cool with some discretion here. If it’s blatant or blatantly stupid.. penalty. If it’s a rolling puck under pressure, hey, maybe that isn’t the same infringement as elbowing a dude in the face. Calls would be argued over, but that happens anyways- at this point 75% of ‘em should just get ignored, and calls could just be made when a player does extra dumb and makes it questionable as to intent. When you think about it logically, it’s really just not worth it compared to other infractions- the NHL’s overly harsh penalty means no one actually does the thing they originally intended to punish (purposeful delay of game).
It sounds like you're advocating for more gray-area judgment calls from refs who think suck. The delay of game call for puck over the glass and the trapezoid behind the net both eliminated aspects of hockey that were completely farcical through 2004.

In your modified puck over the glass rule, what would your wording look in the rulebook?

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
The goal lights need to go back to this:

3019127546_6fd1efc540-1.jpg

Instead of the rectangle that sits on the dasher.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Not sure if it's a pet peeve or more questioning the NHL's sanity.

Last night Ulmark lost a skate blade during a fight for the puck in the crease. Puck was cleared out of zone -- then San Jose were able to bring it back in. Finally Clifton ripped the puck down the ice for an icing and stoppage. All this while Ulmark was like a newborn doe on the ice.

I get it you may not be able to justify blowing the whistle while puck is live around the net immediately after the blade comes off. But after that? We really want goalies to just be dead in the crease not able to move?

Some goalies push the nets off. Some clearly make sure their helmet comes off. But shedding a skate blade?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
People calling all physical contact a "hit"... including elbows and shoves or even knees. Hits are body-checks.

People non-stop 24/7 obsessing over how much money players make. I get it's an integral part of the team building process in a cap league, but Jesus Christ sometimes it feels people are more interested in the financial puzzle than the actual on-ice game.

Referring to players as "EP40" or "EK65" as if they're some dumb shoe brand.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Easy one for me. It's the blatant interference whenever a F chips a puck past a D. The D will clearly and intentionally impede the path of the F. Some will say the D is entitled to that ice, but its obvious that they are simply interfering with the attacking F.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Not hockey so much as some fandom.
The common overlap between hockey fans and fans of pro wrestling/MMA, etc.
It's cringe for me.
I'm not quite sure I get this one

The fact that they always call two players when there's a hook, hold, trip for embellishment.

Example: Player A "trips" player B, Player A gets called for tripping and player B gets called for the embellishment. Call the embellishment. They always even up the calls, which is stupid to me.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Analytics and all of the gambling ads/sponsorships are my current biggest pet peeves. Analytics are ruing sports in general, and I'm tired of being bombarded with gambling ads.

Yes I really don't need to know that Matt Martin dumped the puck in 47% of his entries into the zone last season and was able to do 3 crossovers in a row since he was 12.

GAMBLING ADDS SUCK BALLLLLLLZ too and i don't even watch hockey often.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I'm not quite sure I get this one

The fact that they always call two players when there's a hook, hold, trip for embellishment.

Example: Player A "trips" player B, Player A gets called for tripping and player B gets called for the embellishment. Call the embellishment. They always even up the calls, which is stupid to me.
I agree, but you quoted the wrong poster.

Right Wing

Oct 3, 2020
The obnoxious Oilers play by play guy. Too excited and way too much of HOMER. That and how embarrassing to have Gene and his childish skits

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
The belief that defensemen are primarily responsible for defense except for one or two guys is one that annoys me to no end.

Defensemen are hockey's version of midfielders. Their role is defined by their talents, not their position.

There is a fundamental lack of understanding of this sport by 90% of the fans.

• Wow
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
How the league uses raw points instead of points percentage to display their standings even though they use points percentage when determining waiver order(because it is the correct standings). Just order them by points percentage. Your fans are smart enough to understanding winning percentage.
I guess my pet peeve is people that have this pet peeve. Standings should be based on raw points.....if you haven't earned the points yet, you should be behind a team that has...period.

I see you threw in reference to waiver order, but that doesn't make sense because waiver order is determined from final standings from the prior year, so raw points and points % should be the same order.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!
*when the defending player is RIGHT in front of the shooter on a PP*

then followed by a.....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
*when he does shoot and its blocked by the defending team*

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
When linesman take forever to drop a puck, then kick a player out of the circle, then proceed to to take a while to drop the puck… or when a puck is dropped and the linesmen blow the whistle to do it all over again… like, just drop the freakin puck!

RJMA

Feb 15, 2023
When my team receives a PP with less than 2 mins to go in the 1st or 2nd period. Wish coaches could just defer its start to the beginning of the next period. A broken up PP, with momentum killed by an intermission and an inconveniencing center ice face off, is crap.

Also, that failing to score on a 2-minute long PP and a 1-second long PP are counted the same.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
This. The slingshot is the most frustrating thing in hockey. Feels like some coaches are being blackmailed into using it. It won’t work for an entire PP and there it is again the next one. For every single entry. No variation to keep them guessing. Just failed entry after failed entry. I’ve seen it become so predictable that PK units were literally cheating up and jumping it. Get one new idea please for sake of humanity.
I had to search for this thread. I knew it existed. I can't stand that slingshot on the power play. It is the dumbest play ever. Doesn't work. Doesn't do a thing. Other than the break up the offensive team's momentum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad