Biggest pet peeves in hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Idiots that incessantly yell shoot for the entire PP.
Or the final 10 minutes of a game :facepalm:

Sat a few seats down from one of those "look at me" type of girls at the last Wings home game of the year. Full throttle screaming at the top of her lungs, already making an unenjoyable game (down 4-1 at that point) worse. We were in the upper bowl. All her friends thought it was hilarious.

Either way, I hope she's doing awful in life wherever she is <3

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
The Sabres have done this for years and years, got away from it, and have now seemingly brought it back. The number of times Dahlin or Thompson has open ice ahead, 2 wingers alongside, and opts to drop it back to the last guy who now has to do the same skating but through more defenders and now stationary teammates.. f***ing why!? If you don’t change the angle of attack or misdirect anyone in any way then what in the f*** are you doing!?

The puck over the glass rule is stupid. A goalie or defender knocking their own net off should be 2 minutes. Attempts to block shots that shouldn’t be blocked. Those all irk me as well.
What's worse is the blind drop pass to nobody. Another pet peeve is a forward is skating so fast that he either skates by the net with no shot, or he does shoot but continues skating behind the net and has no access to the rebound.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I can't stand when people mention the word "Shutout" when a goalie has a shutout going with only a few minutes remaining in the game.

It's taboo to me.
I will never bow to stupid superstitions like that. Especially, in regards to something like shutouts, which I think are highly overrated. The only time a shutout has any meaning is in a 1-0 game.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The double drop pack power play entry comes to mind.

Also the backhanded pass across the center of the ice though 2+ people.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Linesmen refusing to just drop the puck and get the play going.

"Nope, gotta blow this whistle every now and then to slow things down and try again because it wasn't 100% perfect. Everyone else can just wait." :laugh:

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
- The price of tickets nowadays

- The fact that Mike Sullivan still has a coaching job

- No genuine hatred/rivalries in the game today
The last one is not true at all.

The Devils players personally hate the Rangers. You can tell by watching them
Play each other.

Is mostly one sided because Rangers players are all too milquetoast to play with any hatred or passion of any kind.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Linesmen refusing to just drop the puck and get the play going.

"Nope, gotta blow this whistle every now and then to slow things down and try again because it wasn't 100% perfect. Everyone else can just wait." :laugh:
Yeah, that's an annoying one. Whether it's amongst the boards or when the goalie has the puck. Sometimes it is a long time before the whistle is blown, sometimes it's virtually instantaneous.

I personally don't like embellishment penalties. It's not in soccer which is famous for it, since those games will never end otherwise.

Here's one maybe others will not agree - calling a play because the puck hits the netting and falls back on the ice.

Hockey game blackouts, even if you bought a subscription to Sportsnet (tried it for one month, never again)

That goal scoring celebration which seems to be a more contemporary thing with the player who scored skating by the bench and glove tapping the line. Seems almost like a rote response.

Though at the same time - and this is probably my cognitive dissonance here, the extraneous celebrations like the Kuzentsov bird thing or whatever - seems too NFL-ish.

Never been a fan of the shootout to decide the games. Still hasn't grown on me all these years. Penalty shots are exciting.

That Brendan Shanahan has not been fired

That Mitch Marner has not been traded

That players have no trade/no movement clauses

The Metropolitan Division name - never liked it, never will get used to it. I miss the Norris, Smyth, Adams and Patrick Divisions.

And my kids know this one...Harnarayan Singh, upon a goalie making a glove save, saying "flashing the leather..." - it's inevitable every game with him on play by play.

The stupid gambling commercials during hockey broadcasts

The commercialization of arenas with corporate names and the incessant commercials for the same companies (banks, food delivery services, etc.)

My final pet peeve, and it's more of a tribute to the gentleman - there is no more Bob Cole on the air. He is really the gold standard for play calling and excitement and every broadcaster since I have compared to him and none hold a candle to that great Canadian icon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Pepper

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Never been a fan of the shootout to decide the games. Still hasn't grown on me all these years. Penalty shots are exciting.
I am mixed on this

I agree that the shootout shouldn't decide games, but they are still better than a tie.

The loser point needs to go away and we will see less games going to OT and ultimately less shootouts

Reactions: thegazelle

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I am mixed on this

I agree that the shootout shouldn't decide games, but they are still better than a tie.

The loser point needs to go away and we will see less games going to OT and ultimately less shootouts
This is a very good point. I agree with you completely - the OT and shootout were designed to prevent ties. Saw enough of those ties growing up where the teams both knew they were playing for the tie and it was just casual dump ins and half-effort up and down the ice for the last number of minutes. Each team got 1 point. Looking back, was it that bad? My kid self didn't think so but my adult self seems to remind it kind of boring.

I think the loser point idea should go away as well. All or nothing should give more impetus to go for the win, but no one wants to see endless regular season overtime (at least I don't).

I don't want hockey to end up like soccer (full disclosure I absolutely detest soccer).

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I am mixed on this

Yeah I think people forget the original problem, which was “playing for the tie” in the regular season. Teams would just skate around and do nothing for the 5 minute OT because they didn’t want to lose the point they’d earned. Made for awful hockey.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Fans.
Yeah I think people forget the original problem, which was “playing for the tie” in the regular season. Teams would just skate around and do nothing for the 5 minute OT because they didn’t want to lose the point they’d earned. Made for awful hockey.

Yep....so after seeing it both ways, now the answer:

Just do away with loser point, and shootout altogether and make games an all or nothing thing and have 3-on-3 OT until there is a winner.

In most instances you would likely have a winner before the time it takes to do the shootout anyway, it would solve the issue with 3 point games and it removes ANY incentive for a team to just even hang on in the final minutes for OT (which many do anyway, and makes for more awful hockey....) so it would even reduce the number of games that even go to OT.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This is a very good point. I agree with you completely - the OT and shootout were designed to prevent ties. Saw enough of those ties growing up where the teams both knew they were playing for the tie and it was just casual dump ins and half-effort up and down the ice for the last number of minutes. Each team got 1 point. Looking back, was it that bad? My kid self didn't think so but my adult self seems to remind it kind of boring.

I think the loser point idea should go away as well. All or nothing should give more impetus to go for the win, but no one wants to see endless regular season overtime (at least I don't).

I don't want hockey to end up like soccer (full disclosure I absolutely detest soccer).

There are actually MORE ties now than ever before. Teams used to average about 10 ties per season; today the average is about 13-14 tie games. Last season, a few teams played to a tie for an astounding 26 games.

Of course the OT/SO tacks on a 'win' after the real hockey game's done, but the price for that gimmick is many more 60 minute games where teams play more cautiously, knowing they can steal an extra point in 3-on-3 or shootout. Previously, the only way to get 2-points was to win the actual game. Thanks to OT/SO, teams are turtling more during the game, in the hope of grabbing the extra point afterwards in a skills competition.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
When a coach who is up big takes his foot off the gas, if You can beat a team 12-0 nothing beat them 12-0.

If You don't like it don't let it happen taking your foot off the gas is gutless.

People who think saying the word shutout during a game actually has an impact on if the goalie gets a shutout.

What kind of weak minded person do you need to be to believe that?

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Morons banging on the glass
That is a pet peeve of mine, too.

Or watching a game and every time a player on the home team hits the ice, some group of morons are either raising their arm or throwing their hands up. "Uh, your guy tripped over the blue line and nobody was within 15 feet of him. What penalty do you want called?"

Add shootouts to my list, in terms of what in the game, itself, is a pet peeve. Any great ideas that have to be parsed out to break ties in the standings at the end of the season need to be parsed out permanently.

3-on-3 doesn't thrill me, either. Now they are trying to figure out what new rules they need to make that work.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00