Biggest pet peeves in hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
There are actually MORE ties now than ever before. Teams used to average about 10 ties per season; today the average is about 13-14 tie games. Last season, a few teams played to a tie for an astounding 26 games.

Of course the OT/SO tacks on a 'win' after the real hockey game's done, but the price for that gimmick is many more 60 minute games where teams play more cautiously, knowing they can steal an extra point in 3-on-3 or shootout. Previously, the only way to get 2-points was to win the actual game. Thanks to OT/SO, teams are turtling more during the game, in the hope of grabbing the extra point afterwards in a skills competition.
Interesting...thanks for pointing that out. It's funny, I never thought of it that way - it truly still a tie game.

You know, I used to ponder what ways to resolve this dilemma with trying to get rid of the traditional tied game = 1 point each. Lots of people have posited ideas over the years and I am sure there are handsomely paid people at the NHL who have been churning the idea in their heads.

I always though the way to get rid of the tie is to just reward points to the winner. No loser points. But then to determine the winner, how long is the league willing to subject the players in the regular season insofar as extra time - and would the fans bore quickly. Do we want to see 4 overtimes in the regular season?

I thought of one option as perhaps incentive for not ending in a tie game. If the game remains tied in regulation and in a five minute sudden death overtime...NO ONE gets any points - and you move on to the next game. I am uncertain whether the NHL brain trust will ever try something like that. But even then, some teams may be happy then to keep the tie so that their opponent doesn't move up either in any particular matchup scenario

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Fans.

Yep....so after seeing it both ways, now the answer:

Just do away with loser point, and shootout altogether and make games an all or nothing thing and have 3-on-3 OT until there is a winner.

In most instances you would likely have a winner before the time it takes to do the shootout anyway, it would solve the issue with 3 point games and it removes ANY incentive for a team to just even hang on in the final minutes for OT (which many do anyway, and makes for more awful hockey....) so it would even reduce the number of games that even go to OT.
Good idea!
I'd be willing to give this one a try and see what happens

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
And my kids know this one...Harnarayan Singh, upon a goalie making a glove save, saying "flashing the leather..." - it's inevitable every game with him on play by play.

I see your catchphrase and I'll raise you another - "cleared but not out".

Not exclusive to any particular broadcaster, though I'm sure some use it far more than others......but it's never made sense. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I came to post something similar. Games should be worth the same amount no matter what.

Yes. That is a little different though. All games should have the same total value. 3 pts makes sense.

Edit: Yes, I know this post is a year and a half old. Just discovered this thread. :laugh:
Some real gems here.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
2 right off the top of my head...

1) The GM hiring a coach that eerily resembles the previous coach (not in the way of actual physical appearance, but more as to their coaching style and failure).

2) Players across the league celebrating goals by facing the crowd with the open arms and fingers twirling motion...
1723750935645.png

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Fans.

Yep....so after seeing it both ways, now the answer:

Just do away with loser point, and shootout altogether and make games an all or nothing thing and have 3-on-3 OT until there is a winner.

In most instances you would likely have a winner before the time it takes to do the shootout anyway, it would solve the issue with 3 point games and it removes ANY incentive for a team to just even hang on in the final minutes for OT (which many do anyway, and makes for more awful hockey....) so it would even reduce the number of games that even go to OT.
I like this one! It is true - I can't see a 3-on-3 lasting more than 10 minutes in most cases.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I see your catchphrase and I'll raise you another - "cleared but not out".

Not exclusive to any particular broadcaster, though I'm sure some use it far more than others......but it's never made sense. :laugh:
You know, that is interesting...and you are absolutely right - it's funny how this one we seem to hear a lot and accept at face value - like "new and improved".

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
2 right off the top of my head...

1) The GM hiring a coach that eerily resembles the previous coach (not in the way of actual physical appearance, but more as to their coaching style and failure).

2) Players across the league celebrating goals by facing the crowd with the open arms and fingers twirling motion...
View attachment 901252

Well, there's a time and a place for it.........Byfuglien's taunt during the playoffs is legendary (skip to about 2:25)

Also quite fond of this old clip, Antoine Roussel scoring on a penalty shot, in Chicago, and letting the locals have it:

I don't know what's better, the actual goal or the salty reaction from the booth. :laugh:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Refs rewarding divers, league started to crack down on it years ago but has since got lazy and their weak punishments aren’t a deterrent. Should make a weekly name and shame flopping video that is given to the officials and gets played in all the arenas, sports highlight shows and start handing out suspensions to repeat offenders that are an embarrassment to the league. Have stricter in-game penalties, 2 minutes for embellishment to sell an infraction but don’t give the other player 2 minutes also as it’s not a deterrent. Double minor or 5 minute majors for blatant flops where there’s been no infraction.

Last edited:

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
There are actually MORE ties now than ever before. Teams used to average about 10 ties per season; today the average is about 13-14 tie games. Last season, a few teams played to a tie for an astounding 26 games.

Of course the OT/SO tacks on a 'win' after the real hockey game's done, but the price for that gimmick is many more 60 minute games where teams play more cautiously, knowing they can steal an extra point in 3-on-3 or shootout. Previously, the only way to get 2-points was to win the actual game. Thanks to OT/SO, teams are turtling more during the game, in the hope of grabbing the extra point afterwards in a skills competition.
Maybe the solution then is just to get rid of OT in the regular season altogether. Call the game a tie and go home. The majority of diehard NHL fans seem to hate the gimmicky stuff. Would be curious to know what it does, if anything, for the casual fan or fans in non-traditional hockey markets. Hard to quantify maybe?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
When my team lets in an early goal in the 1st, and then gets shut out to lose 1-0. Drives me nuts when I play as a goalie, drives me even more nuts when it happens in the pros

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Having the shoot out decide games. Get rid of it and leave that for the ASG/penalty shots. Expand OT to 10 minutes and call it a tie if it’s still even at the end.

Reactions: hangman005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad