Bettman visiting Winnipeg to meet with corporate sponsors, host a fireside chat with fans amid declining season ticket sales

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
No it’s an excuse. Do you pardon a non-traditional market with the same grace? I bet you say..”move them, they don’t deserve a team, etc.”. That’s the hypocrisy I’m calling out.

Winnipeg fans whined for years about getting the Jets back. Well, guess what…you got them, now support them.
We have supported them plentily until a global pandemic and economic recession that you still pretend didnt happen wiped out peoples expendable income occured.

So no, its a logical reason in a small market that is still earning the league profits and increasing net worth. Stay mad. You continue whining after your failed and lousy troll attempts tho. Get some better material for once instead of regurgitating the same debunked point you make over and over.

hammer42

Feb 5, 2023
Please The Jets will be fine they have stable ownership with David Thompson & the fan base will bounce back because this is Canada NHL. hockey always bounces back if by some chance they do move they most likely will stay in Canada either in Quebec City or Hamilton not some lame duck loser hockey market like Atlanta which failed twice & dose not deserve a third .

I am going to say this because it is true if Gary Bettmen & the rest of the American NHL. BOG. had there way & could get away with it there would be only 2 teams in Canada Toronto & Montreal the rest would be American.

Dec 15, 2002
Please The Jets will be fine they have stable ownership with David Thompson & the fan base will bounce back because this is Canada NHL. hockey always bounces back if by some chance they do move they most likely will stay in Canada either in Quebec City or Hamilton not some lame duck loser hockey market like Atlanta which failed twice & dose not deserve a third .

I am going to say this because it is true if Gary Bettmen & the rest of the American NHL. BOG. had there way & could get away with it there would be only 2 teams in Canada Toronto & Montreal the rest would be American.
1. Please use punctuation appropriately. It makes your posts significantly easier to read. I'm not even asking for proper grammar or proper spelling, just ... punctuate properly.

2. The perceived anti-Canada bias of the BoG is hilariously wrong. Like, f***ing hilariously wrong.

3. If the NHL BoG is that anti-Canada, there's no way in hell Winnipeg is going to Quebec City or Hamilton if Winnipeg fails. At least try to be consistent with your points when you're complaining.

hammer42

Feb 5, 2023
1. Please use punctuation appropriately. It makes your posts significantly easier to read. I'm not even asking for proper grammar or proper spelling, just ... punctuate properly.

2. The perceived anti-Canada bias of the BoG is hilariously wrong. Like, f***ing hilariously wrong.

3. If the NHL BoG is that anti-Canada, there's no way in hell Winnipeg is going to Quebec City or Hamilton if Winnipeg fails. At least try to be consistent with your points when you're complaining.
I SAID IF THEY MOVE IT WON'T BE STATE SIDE IT WILL BE EITHER QUEBEC CITY OR HAMILTON BUT IT REALLY DOSE NOT MATTER AS LONG AS DAVID THOMPSON IS THERE WITH STABLE OWNERSHIP THE JETS WILL STAY IN WINNIPEG & BOUNCE BACK .

• Wow
Reactions: MMC

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK

Just got the revised schedule from NHL HQ:

5:00 PM | Most gates open
5:30 PM | Fireside chat in the arena
5:31 PM | Bettman threatens Jets fans with relocation
5:59 PM | Bettman pleads for more corporate sponsors
6:00 PM | Event concludes; all arena doors and seating open
7:00 PM | Jets vs. Blues puck

Reactions: Headshot77

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I SAID IF THEY MOVE IT WON'T BE STATE SIDE IT WILL BE EITHER QUEBEC CITY OR HAMILTON BUT IT REALLY DOSE NOT MATTER AS LONG AS DAVID THOMPSON IS THERE WITH STABLE OWNERSHIP THE JETS WILL STAY IN WINNIPEG & BOUNCE BACK .
1709037149014.png

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The season ticket decline is a little surprising. I think you kinda had to expect that corporate support was never going to be all that great in Winnipeg, but you would've thought a waiting list for season tickets would offset that. Unshakable fan support was suppose to be their financial buoy. Getting neither is rough.

I can understand ownership's concern. The team is winning right now. If they aren't improving financially as a result, when could you expect it to occur?

This is exactly my question. If not now, when the team is among the league's elite, then when? It seems to me that Winnipeg's window of contending is right now. But fast forwarding two or three years and granting an assumption that the local economy has rebounded to some degree, the question becomes will the roster by that time still be one that will make the playoffs and potentially make a deep run? I'm skeptical.

This is not to crap on Winnipeg by any stretch. I'm just pointing out that the timing of a future market rebound there relies on hopes of a lot of variables somehow aligning perfectly.

Reactions: tucker3434

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I just did a search on stubhub, and the ticket prices aren't even expensive. Cheapest one for the Blues game is $22, and I see lower bowl tickets in the $50 range. How much are the season tickets? This kind of throws the whole narrative that "put a team in Canada and the seats will be filled every night" gets tossed around here constantly out the window.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I just did a search on stubhub, and the ticket prices aren't even expensive. Cheapest one for the Blues game is $22, and I see lower bowl tickets in the $50 range. How much are the season tickets? This kind of throws the whole narrative that "put a team in Canada and the seats will be filled every night" gets tossed around here constantly out the window.
Recycle. Endless recycle. Ten years of endlessly recycling...

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

You are mistaken. There is no $22 ticket. Once you factor in currency exchange (remember, we are in Canada and we earn and spend Canadian dollars) and Stubhub's service fees, the tickets become $44.50 Canadian each. I realize this is not an exorbitant price, but it's double what you thought it was. This is for a decidedly unsexy matchup against a pretty uninteresting opponent on an exceptionally cold and snowy Tuesday night... in other words, it's the bottom of the market. This is as cheap as it gets.

You can't get $22 tickets to watch the Manitoba Moose, let alone the Jets.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
You are mistaken. There is no $22 ticket. Once you factor in currency exchange (remember, we are in Canada and we earn and spend Canadian dollars) and Stubhub's service fees, the tickets become $44.50 Canadian each. I realize this is not an exorbitant price, but it's double what you thought it was. This is for a decidedly unsexy matchup against a pretty uninteresting opponent on an exceptionally cold and snowy Tuesday night... in other words, it's the bottom of the market. This is as cheap as it gets.

To be somewhat fair, it's not policy to post the junk fees in America until checkout, so it's usually not included in quoted ticket prices.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
To be somewhat fair, it's not policy to post the junk fees in America until checkout, so it's usually not included in quoted ticket prices.
That's fine. But in the last week I've read several posts like that along the lines of 'how can there be an issue in Winnipeg when I can find tickets for $20' or whatever.

If someone has Jets tickets to sell for $20, DM me because I'll buy them. But I won't hold my breath because they don't exist.

I am pretty thrifty when it comes to Jets tickets, I occasionally splurge on the lower bowl but I'm usually in the upper bowl. But I think the absolute lowest rock bottom price I ever got for Jets tickets was about $35 each. (By contrast, the cheapest NHL tickets I bought post-pandemic were $25 a pop for a game in Vancouver back in 2022... I bought when the Canucks were slumping right before they brought in Bruce Boudreau)

Reactions: Stumbledore

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

Depends on the servicer. TickPick, I see tickets for $30 all in(no fees). To each their own, you can say the tickets are more expensive because of fees, that's fair, but the advertised price when looking up the tickets on stubhub were $22.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Depends on the servicer. TickPick, I see tickets for $30 all in(no fees). To each their own, you can say the tickets are more expensive because of fees, that's fair, but the advertised price when looking up the tickets on stubhub were $22.

The advertised price doesn't matter, it's the grand total inclusive of fees that matters. It's not a $22 ticket if you're paying $45 once forex and "fees" are factored in.

Reactions: Stumbledore

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
That's fine. But in the last week I've read several posts like that along the lines of 'how can there be an issue in Winnipeg when I can find tickets for $20' or whatever.

If someone has Jets tickets to sell for $20, DM me because I'll buy them. But I won't hold my breath because they don't exist.

I am pretty thrifty when it comes to Jets tickets, I occasionally splurge on the lower bowl but I'm usually in the upper bowl. But I think the absolute lowest rock bottom price I ever got for Jets tickets was about $35 each. (By contrast, the cheapest NHL tickets I bought post-pandemic were $25 a pop for a game in Vancouver back in 2022... I bought when the Canucks were slumping right before they brought in Bruce Boudreau)
I hear ya. I just chime in on the ticket prices if another poster:

A) Plays the stereotypical "But I remember when Florida (or whatever other franchise) had tickets available for $30" card.
B) Uses a Ticketmaster chart showing average ticket prices north of $150 bucks. Ticketmaster is and always will be a rip-off.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The advertised price doesn't matter, it's the grand total inclusive of fees that matters. It's not a $22 ticket if you're paying $45 once forex and "fees" are factored in.

You can't have it both ways. People would do the same thing for other tickets for Coyotes and other teams when they have attendance issues.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
You can't have it both ways. People would do the same thing for other tickets for Coyotes and other teams when they have attendance issues.

I'm not asking for anything both ways. I don't care about the Coyotes attendance issues or ticket pricing. If someone says that there are $22 Jets tickets, then be prepared to show where they can be found, because I want to buy some.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
When that was said, the Canadian economy was strong, everything has gone downhill economically and has affected peoples bottom line.

While I agree with you -- the economy is down, people are having to choose their entertainment outings more wisely, etc -- the fact is the same lines were used to justify dumping on markets like Atlanta, Arizona, and Long Island for not filling their barns without any understanding of (or simply not caring about) what circumstances existed in those cities. Any responses pointing out circumstances surrounding attendance was met with that line exactly, that any Canadian market would fill the building without a second thought.

The Atlanta situation is widely known now, in that attendance wasn't a factor to what happened here. Try as people might though, they can't take back what was said. The Arizona situation, like it or not, is ongoing, and hopefully they have a solution. Long Island's problem was their owner was terrible and the arena was a literal dump. Their new barn is light years ahead of where that old building was (the Forsyth County, Georgia government even toured UBS earlier this year to get an idea of what to expect with the arena plans here), and the fans are filling that building pretty nicely.

With regards to the Jets, I feel the economy absolutely is a major issue, one that people and companies are still reeling from. This is why I feel public statements from TNSE about sustainability of the franchise are incredibly deaf. If this economic downturn persists or gets worse, then there might be an issue. Smaller markets, whether we like it or not, aren't very well insulated against the effects of economic downturn.

Another five to ten years of lost season ticket holders very well could be unsustainable. I don't know, I'm not an economist. But TNSE preying on the fears of Jets fans in Winnipeg by going public with the alarm bells is predatory, and will absolutely do more harm than good. In this way, I feel like TNSE really needs to change their approach. Offer the carrot, not the stick. Be more friendly and listen to the fans. Offer better customer service in the event (as the story related earlier goes) will call tickets aren't made available. There's a lot of little things they could be doing to be better to the community, but simply choose not to. That's one hell of a choice.

TNSE earned a ton of goodwill by bringing the NHL back to Winnipeg, but are showing that maybe that goodwill was too freely given.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This is for a decidedly unsexy matchup against a pretty uninteresting opponent on an exceptionally cold and snowy Tuesday night... in other words, it's the bottom of the market. This is as cheap as it gets.
Is this really that unsexy of a matchup? The Blues are a division rival, one in particular that Jets fans love to hate. The Blues are fighting for a playoff spot, the Jets for a division lead and avoiding Colorado or Dallas in the 1st round. This by all accounts should be a great game.

Not every game is a "sexy" matchup like Pittsburgh or Toronto or Edmonton. In fact if you can't sell out for a team in the President's Trophy hunt, and you've gotta rely on visiting fans to fill the barn in a sexy matchup, whatre we even doing here? Then the market really is no better than a sunbelt location.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Is this really that unsexy of a matchup? The Blues are a division rival, one in particular that Jets fans love to hate. The Blues are fighting for a playoff spot, the Jets for a division lead and avoiding Colorado or Dallas in the 1st round. This by all accounts should be a great game.

Not every game is a "sexy" matchup like Pittsburgh or Toronto or Edmonton. In fact if you can't sell out for a team in the President's Trophy hunt, and you've gotta rely on visiting fans to fill the barn in a sexy matchup, whatre we even doing here? Then the market really is no better than a sunbelt location.

I don't doubt that it should be a great game. But in literally every market you are going to have your relatively desirable and relatively undesirable matchups and in the Winnipeg context this is a pretty undesirable matchup. Let's go over the factors:

-Tuesday night
-Winter storm coming through
-Blues are a team that comes through here a lot
-Blues are not that good and have no real star power
-There is virtually no local Blues fanbase

I think a lot of people want to see the Jets play as they are doing well, but a lot of people are going to sit on their wallets for a more enticing matchup.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
I don't doubt that it should be a great game. But in literally every market you are going to have your relatively desirable and relatively undesirable matchups and in the Winnipeg context this is a pretty undesirable matchup. Let's go over the factors:

-Tuesday night

I think a lot of people want to see the Jets play as they are doing well, but a lot of people are going to sit on their wallets for a more enticing matchup.
That would be so unacceptable if it were happening here.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

-Tuesday night

I'm just hearing excuses for a market that was supposed to be the mecca of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad