Bettman visiting Winnipeg to meet with corporate sponsors, host a fireside chat with fans amid declining season ticket sales

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't doubt that it should be a great game. But in literally every market you are going to have your relatively desirable and relatively undesirable matchups and in the Winnipeg context this is a pretty undesirable matchup. Let's go over the factors:

-Tuesday night
-Winter storm coming through
-Blues are a team that comes through here a lot
-Blues are not that good and have no real star power
-There is virtually no local Blues fanbase

I think a lot of people want to see the Jets play as they are doing well, but a lot of people are going to sit on their wallets for a more enticing matchup.
Oh I agree every market has those games you're referring to, but I'd expect that more from a Columbus or Buffalo game.

If a division rivalry matchup with playoff seeding implications doesn't do it for people, what will? Don't say Toronto/Edmonton/Pittsburgh because those teams do it in every market.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Is this really that unsexy of a matchup? The Blues are a division rival, one in particular that Jets fans love to hate. The Blues are fighting for a playoff spot, the Jets for a division lead and avoiding Colorado or Dallas in the 1st round. This by all accounts should be a great game.

Not every game is a "sexy" matchup like Pittsburgh or Toronto or Edmonton. In fact if you can't sell out for a team in the President's Trophy hunt, and you've gotta rely on visiting fans to fill the barn in a sexy matchup, whatre we even doing here? Then the market really is no better than a sunbelt location.

I looked up the weather forecast for Winnipeg today. It really sucks. (I'll copy it below)

It's a Tuesday night game with really crappy weather. It's games like this are why TNSE wants a lot of season ticket holders - you're not going to get ANY walk-up sales on a day like this.

DateDetailed Forecast
TodaySnow and blowing snow ending this afternoon then a mix of sun and cloud. Wind north 50 km/h gusting to 70 diminishing to 30 this afternoon. Temperature falling to minus 20 this afternoon. Wind chill minus 34 this morning and minus 29 this afternoon. Risk of frostbite. UV index 1 or low.
TonightA few clouds. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 27. Wind chill minus 29 this evening and minus 36 overnight. Risk of frostbite.

Reactions: Stumbledore

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I looked up the weather forecast for Winnipeg today. It really sucks. (I'll copy it below)

It's a Tuesday night game with really crappy weather. It's games like this are why TNSE wants a lot of season ticket holders - you're not going to get ANY walk-up sales on a day like this.

DateDetailed Forecast
TodaySnow and blowing snow ending this afternoon then a mix of sun and cloud. Wind north 50 km/h gusting to 70 diminishing to 30 this afternoon. Temperature falling to minus 20 this afternoon. Wind chill minus 34 this morning and minus 29 this afternoon. Risk of frostbite. UV index 1 or low.
TonightA few clouds. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 27. Wind chill minus 29 this evening and minus 36 overnight. Risk of frostbite.
It's really not as bad as the forecast makes it out to be. Sunday night/Monday morning was absolutely a shitshow with falling snow. But as of my drive to work this morning all the main streets you'd expect to be are all plowed, it's just cold as shit which is typical for Winnipeg in February.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm just hearing excuses for a market that was supposed to be the mecca of hockey.
In my opinion, I do think Peg, among other Canadian and Northern US areas are strong on fan-interest as well as history. I just think that hockey "traditionalists" (not implying the poster you're replying to is one) have a problem with two major factors.

1) Outside of Toronto and Montreal, Canada is made up of small markets. Despite how hockey-crazy these markets are, markets that are under ~1.5 million people are difficult to sustain high revenue levels.
2) The US population, along with huge corporations, has been migrating south for over 30 years. This is why the NHL has expanded in these markets and, depending on ownership interest, will continue to. This is also a large reason why southern markets are all doing very well in terms of attendance right now.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
In my opinion, I do think Peg, among other Canadian and Northern US areas are strong on fan-interest as well as history. I just think that hockey "traditionalists" (not implying the poster you're replying to is one) have a problem with two major factors.

1) Outside of Toronto and Montreal, Canada is made up of small markets. Despite how hockey-crazy these markets are, markets that are under ~1.5 million people are difficult to sustain high revenue levels.
2) The US population, along with huge corporations, has been migrating south for over 30 years. This is why the NHL has expanded in these markets and, depending on ownership interest, will continue to. This is also a large reason why southern markets are all doing very well in terms of attendance right now.
I'll also add that many of the loud anti-southern people struggle understanding that NHL franchises are not rewards given to markets for being sufficiently "hockey mad".

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

I think you're pretty on point, and it's similar to the argument I use with major league and minor league cities. The only true Canadian major league city as of now is Toronto because they have an NBA and MLB team. Vancouver and Montreal are close enough that I'll include them in the group as well. But that's still 4 cities (Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa) that have no buisness having any big 4 team outside of hockey. They neither have the population for it nor are all that desirable for these young millionaire players to live. That means the NHL would need 36 teams just to have a similar big market share as the NFL, and 34 to match MLB & NBA.

The corporate base is a huge issue. Politically it makes sense for corporations to have their HQs in large southern cities, and it's no coincidence we're seeing big ticket players also signing with the sunbelt teams.

The Canadian cities don't have this corporate support. It can work in Calgary and Edmonton because of all the oil money, but Winnipeg doesn't have that to fall back on either.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I think you're pretty on point, and it's similar to the argument I use with major league and minor league cities. The only true Canadian major league city as of now is Toronto because they have an NBA and MLB team. Vancouver and Montreal are close enough that I'll include them in the group as well. But that's still 4 cities (Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa) that have no buisness having any big 4 team outside of hockey. They neither have the population for it nor are all that desirable for these young millionaire players to live. That means the NHL would need 36 teams just to have a similar big market share as the NFL, and 34 to match MLB & NBA.

The corporate base is a huge issue. Politically it makes sense for corporations to have their HQs in large southern cities, and it's no coincidence we're seeing big ticket players also signing with the sunbelt teams.

The Canadian cities don't have this corporate support. It can work in Calgary and Edmonton because of all the oil money, but Winnipeg doesn't have that to fall back on either.
Excellent post. Totally agree.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I posted this concept on the main board thread and I’ll post it here also. And I know the Pens dark years and the Jets ticket situation are not apples to apples comparable but I feel like similarly used tactics could do the same thing.

During the Pittsburgh Penguins dark years after the rips it to the studs Gen X era (shudder in horror at even remembering that time) then the drafting of Sid. One of the things the Penguins organization did was they decided to have a massive student rush program. I was in my early 20’s at the time (I’ll be 40 this year) and with that program I got to see more games that I have at any other time in my life. 30-50 bucks and you go play the ticket lottery. Sometimes you were in the bleeds, sometimes you are upper bowl, and every now and again you were close to or up against the glass. I remember that first year I went to at least 12 games that I would have else wise not gone too.

Now doing this the Penguins we’re taking it in the teeth selling tickets at a loss. But it got young fans in the door, got them to be fanatics, got them spending money at or around the team. Flash forward almost 20 years later. And the Penguins have a fanatic fan base that are die hard loyal’s in that 35-40 year old age bracket due to that program. And now we are turning our kids into fanatics. My son doesn’t have Steelers posters on his walls. He has Penguins posters. He has the one or two Steelers shirts. But he has Penguins jersey’s and hats.

When you get young fans in the door and mold them into fanatical fans it becomes a generational thing. Now even with the Pens probably missing the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row they are still filling their seats 90% or something like that I recently heard. And the foundation of that id be willing to take a bet is constructed out of fans that use to use that cheap means to get tickets. Which they still have student rush games but it’s massively down sized from it former scope because currently they do not have too anymore. And I’m sure once the Sid era ends and they have to strip it down to the studs again… That student rush will ramp back up.

Long winded… Sorry. But my overall point is. The Jets ownership would be smart to take the loss at the gate for a few years and do some sort of rush program like I described above. Bring in some younger fans that can’t afford the ticket prices right now. Turn them from casual fans into fanatical fans. Ingratiate yourself to a younger generation and then have them as your core fan base as they roll into their 30’s and eventually 40’s.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
If you have markets where people love hockey and provide a sizeable amount of revenue per capita to the team.... and those markets can't keep up financially in the league's economic structure....

The problem isn't the market. The problem is the league's economic structure.

Why would we WANT a system where moving away from your most avid fan base is a good idea?

How do you have a system where a city that considers NHL the #1 sport ahead of the others, and has a modern NHL building, still faces the challenge of how to be financially competitive?

If the model is such that Phoenix -- where people debate if enough people like hockey to make it work -- has MORE RUNWAY than Winnipeg, where the overall interest in hockey is significantly higher... why aren't we changing the model?

This league needs to switch from a "Robin Hood" revenue sharing, to a pooled revenue sharing model, where everyone puts in X percent of local and everyone gets an even share. And it needs to be A LOT HIGHER percentage than it is now.

A LOT of Canadian fans get upset that the big rich Canadian clubs "subsidize" markets which generally CARE LESS about hockey, but just have more people. Revenue Sharing should provide an adequate runway for everyone. Not allow Phoenix to go 20 years of struggles, but make the situation in Winnipeg turn dire in four.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If you have markets where people love hockey and provide a sizeable amount of revenue per capita to the team.... and those markets can't keep up financially in the league's economic structure....

The problem isn't the market. The problem is the league's economic structure.

Why would we WANT a system where moving away from your most avid fan base is a good idea?

How do you have a system where a city that considers NHL the #1 sport ahead of the others, and has a modern NHL building, still faces the challenge of how to be financially competitive?

If the model is such that Phoenix -- where people debate if enough people like hockey to make it work -- has MORE RUNWAY than Winnipeg, where the overall interest in hockey is significantly higher... why aren't we changing the model?

This league needs to switch from a "Robin Hood" revenue sharing, to a pooled revenue sharing model, where everyone puts in X percent of local and everyone gets an even share. And it needs to be A LOT HIGHER percentage than it is now.

A LOT of Canadian fans get upset that the big rich Canadian clubs "subsidize" markets which generally CARE LESS about hockey, but just have more people. Revenue Sharing should provide an adequate runway for everyone. Not allow Phoenix to go 20 years of struggles, but make the situation in Winnipeg turn dire in four.
While I do agree with the overall premise about revenue sharing, that isn't why Winnipeg is struggling for revenue. It's because the city/team/owners are depending on a much smaller pool of rabid fans and corporate money year-in and year-out. When economy, crappy play, bad marketing, or whatever happens, its effects are multiplied.

Actually, as sited in the article a couple posts above yours, the author sites revenue sharing as one way the Jets will get rescued.

Reactions: dj4aces

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
While I do agree with the overall premise about revenue sharing, that isn't why Winnipeg is struggling for revenue. It's because the city/team/owners are depending on a much smaller pool of rabid fans and corporate money year-in and year-out. When economy, crappy play, bad marketing, or whatever happens, its effects are multiplied.

Actually, as sited in the article a couple posts above yours, the author sites revenue sharing as one way the Jets will get rescued.

Well, yeah. I said that very thing about reliance on the same people a few pages back.

But if we don't have a system that protects markets where Hockey is the #1 sport, what the hell are we doing?

And that's why I think a lot of the Canada vs US fan base squabbles are usually more like two groups speaking different languages than two groups disagreeing. Most people say it's nostalgia, but the league would just BE BETTER with Winnipeg and Quebec in the league, and we shouldn't have to PICK between small but loud markets like those OR big southern US markets.

There's ample room for both if you simply copy MLB's revenue sharing structure, which also would lower animosity, because our teams feel robbed by Robin Hood. Everyone knows the big boys pay more, but no one hates OAKLAND for not supporting the team, they hate Oakland's OWNER for not spending.

hammer42

Feb 5, 2023
Gary Bettman should not be making idle threats of relocation to Jets fans & ownership because as long as David Thompson is there the Jets will stay Winnipeg & will bounce back like all Canadian hockey markets .

Reactions: HolyCrap

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Long winded… Sorry. But my overall point is. The Jets ownership would be smart to take the loss at the gate for a few years and do some sort of rush program like I described above. Bring in some younger fans that can’t afford the ticket prices right now. Turn them from casual fans into fanatical fans. Ingratiate yourself to a younger generation and then have them as your core fan base as they roll into their 30’s and eventually 40’s.

OK - but you need to remember that Winnipeg also hosts the AHL Manitoba Moose. That's kind of the Moose's entire point - cheap tickets, get the kids in, see tomorrow's stars today.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Business experts say the Jets leaving Winnipeg is unlikely; at least for now:

"Gross ticket revenue for all events at Canada Life Centre — including the Jets, Manitoba Moose and concerts — appears to be down almost 20 per cent since 2019, according to entertainment-funding tax estimates included in City of Winnipeg budget documents."

I think we all know the Jets are safe in the near term. The question is more longer term. The Canada Life Center is 20 years old. So 10-15 years from now, if TNSE wants to cash out, will a new local owner be available to not only pay the asking price on the franchise but possibly heavily renovate/replace a 30-35 year old building? How much would the taxpayers be willing to chip in if overall revenues are still down?

And TNSE knows that this is something that can't be resolved 15 years from now. Those last-minute rallies and ticket drives never work. They need those butts in the seats (for all events at CLC) now if they want to maximize their returns down the line. Make this dip an outlier and not a long term concern.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Gary Bettman should not be making idle threats of relocation to Jets fans & ownership because as long as David Thompson is there the Jets will stay Winnipeg & will bounce back like all Canadian hockey markets .

OK, so Thomson (no "P") is Canada's richest man. I think he definitely guarantees the team won't be shaken by any short-term market fluctuations.

But he's also not from Winnipeg, doesn't live there, isn't really involved with the day-to-day operations of the team. I think the idea that Thomson will just personally cover any losses for a long stretch of time is naïve.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Bettman would only be making threats if the ownership signed off on them. His job as commissioner is often to play bad cop and take heat off ownership. He's not going to antagonize a stable, wealthy, and committed ownership group. He hasn't been around as long as he has making those kinds of enemies needlessly.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
OK - but you need to remember that Winnipeg also hosts the AHL Manitoba Moose. That's kind of the Moose's entire point - cheap tickets, get the kids in, see tomorrow's stars today.
It’s not really the same though. In a world I’m still back in my early 20’s. And the WBS Pens are also playing in Pittsburgh. Getting to go to a cheap ticket AHL game isn’t going to make me want to buy a full priced NHL ticket. I’d just keep buying the AHL tickets or most likely go do something else. Probably would have ended up going to U-Pitt sport events or the Pirates field instead. You have to get the young fans that are priced out in the door and get them cemented into the fan base. Then as they age their disposable income grows and you can shrink down that rush program. But I don’t feel trying to use the minor team to shepherd the young fans toward buying full priced NHL tickets they are already priced out of does anything to move the dial building up a youth fan base.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It’s not really the same though. In a world I’m still back in my early 20’s. And the WBS Pens are also playing in Pittsburgh. Getting to go to a cheap ticket AHL game isn’t going to make me want to buy a full priced NHL ticket. I’d just keep buying the AHL tickets or most likely go do something else. Probably would have ended up going to U-Pitt sport events or the Pirates field instead. You have to get the young fans that are priced out in the door and get them cemented into the fan base. Then as they age their disposable income grows and you can shrink down that rush program. But I don’t feel trying to use the minor team to shepherd the young fans toward buying full priced NHL tickets they are already priced out of does anything to move the dial building up a youth fan base.

So reading on the Jets board, apparently the team is offering up last-minute tickets to university students to tonight's game for $29.

But that's really a double-edged sword for them. Yes - they can help fill the building, and getting $29 for a ticket is better then not selling it at all.

But the problem is that through their official ticket-trading app, you can't sell your own ticket for less than face value. So what the team is doing is undercutting their own season ticket holders. And as mentioned - the weather is pretty crappy today in Winnipeg, and probably lots of people wouldn't mind selling their tickets for a loss if it means they don't have to go out in the cold.

For all of that though - I think I just disagree. If you're in your 20s, the idea is to go out to minor league games at a cheap price, get hooked on the experience - but then when you have more disposable income you want to go to the "real thing".

Plus then you're not undercutting your own season ticket holders.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
I have to agree with this. You most definitely need the younger crowds to grow into the older, paying crowds.
Every Jets game I have been too, I see 75-80% of the crowd that look like me. Mid-50’s grey haired fogeys. Once we are gone who’s going to the games??
It really is a concern, especially since kids today are more into basketball than hockey.
And that’s another obstacle, cost to play the game in the first place. But that’s a story for another time

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
So reading on the Jets board, apparently the team is offering up last-minute tickets to university students to tonight's game for $29.

But that's really a double-edged sword for them. Yes - they can help fill the building, and getting $29 for a ticket is better then not selling it at all.

But the problem is that through their official ticket-trading app, you can't sell your own ticket for less than face value. So what the team is doing is undercutting their own season ticket holders. And as mentioned - the weather is pretty crappy today in Winnipeg, and probably lots of people wouldn't mind selling their tickets for a loss if it means they don't have to go out in the cold.

For all of that though - I think I just disagree. If you're in your 20s, the idea is to go out to minor league games at a cheap price, get hooked on the experience - but then when you have more disposable income you want to go to the "real thing".

I disagree with all of that. Respectfully disagree.
Jets are trying to sell tickets. You already bought your tickets. Regardless if you go tonight or not, your seat is sold. These student tickets are surplus. They got to move them.

And any chance you get to see “The Show” especially on tue cheap will turn those folks into fans. Minor league will always be minor league.

Reactions: Harvey Birdman

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

It is a double edge sword. For awhile. But that’s exactly what Pittsburgh did to build their current fan base. Undercut now to have large reward later. And no, in my 20’s if it was go see AHL hockey because I can’t afford the NHL seats. I’m just going to go to one of the other pro sports in town that I can afford. The Pirates are a joke organization but you can get on that field cheap every game. If the choice would have been AHL Pens VS Pirates back then I would have most likely chosen the Pirates. Or gone to U-Pitt basketball and paid a similar or cheaper price of a cheap Pirates game and just be around people my age.

You have to get the youth in the door of your pro club. Lock stock that’s it. It’s the only way to cement them long term in the fan base not as one or two fans here or there but as a demographic as a whole. You may agree to disagree with me. But sorry I complete disagree with you.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
If Bettman is actually making a trip to Winnipeg in *February* things must be dire.:sarcasm:

My guess is the cause, and the way this plays out, is one of two possibilities...

1) Moving forward, the city/metro is (suddenly?) not big/wealthy enough to sustain an NHL franchise. Obviously this is something ownership/management can't fix, and is bad news for the Jets' mid/long term future in Winnipeg.

2) After not having to do whole lot over the first ~decade, the Jets' sales/marketing folks became lazy, or complacent, or stupid, or whatever. When all at once faced with fallout from the plague, the team trending down/entering a malaise (reversed this season) and the extended honeymoon period finally ending, the organization was ill-prepared to deal with it, resulting in a significant hit to the season ticket base. This is something that ownership/management, with time, effort, and the right people, should be able to fix.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad