Value of: Best Center MN Can Get With a 2nd Round Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Here is a list of names I would be good with from teams that may be sellers and guys that may be on the move:

Stastny
Zacha
McCann
Strome (either one, though I'm not sure Ryan is available)
Suter (this is really pushing the limit and I'm not sure he would be viable as he has another year)
Copp

Obviously it's a short list. Some people might think those guys are worth more than a 2nd, but most of those should be able to be had for a 2nd+something lesser than a 2nd at most, given the bandwidth taken up by guys like Hertl, Miller, Giroux, Pavelski, etc if they end up on the block.

Some of these have been brought up already in this thread, and you'll notice I didn't list them in the guys I didn't like for a 2nd. The point is we want to use a 2nd to upgrade Gaudreau, so bringing up guys like Blake Lizotte, Chris Tierney, Johan Larsson doesn't really do anything because none of those are offensive upgrades on Gaudreau.

You could get Dylan Strome for a 2nd but I wouldn't recommend it.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Has he fallen off that much? Or is it his contract?
Both but mostly the contract. He's a highly skilled player who might flourish in the right system where he was a secondary scoring option.

Challenge for Arizona, he's paid $5.85M/year, but actual dollars the final 3 years of the deal are $8M+/year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Getzlaf would be interesting, though I dunno how interested he'd be in signing off on that trade.
Oh i was talking bout Derek Grant

But if getzlaf would waive yes he would make sense, tho i feel like if he did decide he wants to go to a contender he prob looks at Colorado/Vegas maybe Oiler/Flames.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Oh i was talking bout Derek Grant

But if getzlaf would waive yes he would make sense, tho i feel like if he did decide he wants to go to a contender he prob looks at Colorado/Vegas maybe Oiler/Flames.
I agree on the latter point. He's in the same boat as Giroux there.

I don't think Steel or Grant would really be upgrades on Gaudreau.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Minnesota is in such a fascinating and unprecedented situation where their core has seemingly fallen right into place just as they have the sword of damocles hanging over their head of 14 million in wasted cap for 3 years.

So a decision has to be made about whether to chase what seems to be a great chemistry and camaraderie and try to 'go for it' now, or whether to go with half measures and wait and hope that they still have that lightening in a bottle 4 years from now.

If they choose to go all in, they might be a team where it makes sense to go big on J.T. Miller and pay a premium to get him next year at 50% which is 2.6 million. This would give them 2 legitimate kicks at the can and having a top line center (quality wise, they may well keep JEE on their actual top line) for such a low price may afford them an opportunity next year to go for it again and then they have reduced the true pain to only 2 years of spinning their wheels with 14 mil wasted.

That said, the Martin Hanzal disaster trade is probably fresh in their mind so they are unlikely to want to give up Rossi, Lambos, etc.

But I guess the question for Minny to ask is if not now, than when?

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
they may well keep JEE on their actual top line)

That experiment only lasted a couple games into the season. Ryan Hartman has been centering Zucc & Kap and they've all been producing marvelously. Ekker is back where he belongs with with Foligo and Greenway making every team they play against absolutely miserable.

That said, the Martin Hanzal disaster trade is probably fresh in their mind so they are unlikely to want to give up Rossi, Lambos, etc.

The Hanzal trade was 3 (?) GM's ago. Beyond the owner, I doubt anyone in the front office has thought about it or brought it up. That said, I don't see Guerin giving up Rossi unless he saw something he didn't like before he sent him down...which, I kinda doubt. Like...a lot.

There was smoke around the Wild being heavily interested in Miller earlier in the season. Sounds like someone didn't like it so whatever side backed out with a likelihood of revisiting it later in the season. Well, appears they're revisiting it now. I'm sure with the way the Wild are playing, the pressure for Billy G to make a deal is more than it was then. Rumor had it on several occasions that the Wild were also in & out on the Eichel stuff til almost the very end before he went to Vegas. So, clearly Guerin has some patience or just didn't quite have the pieces. But that they've been rumored to be 'heavily in the mix' on both deals. Like I said though, seems to me like Guerin has shown he can play the waiting game and if it's not a deal he's into, doesn't appear to be afraid to say no. Which, for what Canuck fans think the team will get for Miller, is fine by me if Billy closes that door again. I'd laugh if another team actually paid those prices. I'd be pretty pissed if the Wild did.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Eric Staal ?
It’s a possibility and likely the players preferred destination. Will depend on how he looks in the Olympics. Guerin has already moved on from him once, but he would be a free add, and having fresh legs might be exactly what he needs to finish out the season and start playoffs. I don’t think he is plan A though.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Why should the Wild save their 1st when it's going to be in the 20s and likely won't make it to the NHL until after the buyout cap hits are off the books?

I'm not in favor of trading it for a pure rental, but holding tight onto a pick that only has a 50-60% chance of playing > 99 NHL games is a bit risk averse to me.

Reactions: GuerinUp

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I have seen three other Ducks mentioned in this thread (Steel, Grant, Getzlaf) but had another option in mind.

Henrique is supposed to be returning soon and was having a nice bounceback year, looking more like his usual self, 20+ goal 40+ points and defensively responsible. I realize the Wild aren't eating that full remaining year on his deal without heavy retention, but was thinking something like:

Rask (1M retained, 3M AAV, UFA) + 2nd

for

Henrique (2.825M retained, 3M AAV, 1 yr)

Salaries cancel out for this year and the Wild have Henrique at 3M next season. Ducks retain heavily to get a decent asset out Henrique and use the remaining savings towards a UFA winger this summer.

I can understand if this isn't any more favorable for the Wild than trading for a rental and then reassessing in the summer. I thought Henrique may be a good fit with how much flexibility he offers to seamlessly move between center and wing - could be helpful when penciling in Rossi next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad