Value of: Best Center MN Can Get With a 2nd Round Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Don’t want to give up a 1st/ good prospect… and then disappointed with the crap being offered for your 2nd. Feels on par with HFboards/ standards around here.
This is largely an "it depends on who you ask" situation. There's not a firm consensus among Wild fans about what we should be looking to do for this deadline, or what management will be looking to do.

The fans looking to swing big on a trade probably aren't balking at spending 1sts or good prospects. The fans that do balk probably aren't looking to add much.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don’t want to give up a 1st/ good prospect… and then disappointed with the crap being offered for your 2nd. Feels on par with HFboards/ standards around here.

You can not want to give up a 1st/good prospect, and still understand that Cody Eakin, Chris Tierney, Sam Steel, Rem Pitlick, Johan Larsson, Derek Grant, Nick Bonino and Blake Lizotte aren't worth a 2nd. No one here is expecting the answer to this thread to be Hertl or Giroux. That's the point of this thread. It's not about trying to get the best center, it's about trying to keep our assets and still get something worth a 2nd.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Drouin isn't a c, and has a bad contract! He's also not a good player.
But he's the Habs best LW Point wise and sits 3rd on the team. 50 pt pace on a terrible team.
He gets bashed a lot even from Hab fans but i don't mind keeping him.
And i understand the Wild are looking for a C and Drouin is a LW.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You can not want to give up a 1st/good prospect, and still understand that Cody Eakin, Chris Tierney, Sam Steel, Rem Pitlick, Johan Larsson, Derek Grant, Nick Bonino and Blake Lizotte aren't worth a 2nd. No one here is expecting the answer to this thread to be Hertl or Giroux. That's the point of this thread. It's not about trying to get the best center, it's about trying to keep our assets and still get something worth a 2nd.
You have listed lots of names that don't appeal to you. Throw out a couple suggestions, maybe that gets the discussion going in the direction the thread was intended.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Maybe Jack Roslovic or Kerfoot? Leafs might have interest in a Kerfoot for Greenway deal? Not totally sure about Roslovic, maybe a 2nd + 5th or something. Not the sexiest of names but maybe a start.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Maybe Jack Roslovic or Kerfoot? Leafs might have interest in a Kerfoot for Greenway deal? Not totally sure about Roslovic, maybe a 2nd + 5th or something. Not the sexiest of names but maybe a start.
I don't think the Wild would want to subtract anyone substantial from the current roster, and definitely not from the Greenway-Ek-Foligno line. Otherwise Kerfoot would be a pretty good example of what I think we'd be looking for.

Roslovic's come up as an idea, but I personally question how likely Evason would be to play him between Fiala and Boldy.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't think the Wild would want to subtract anyone substantial from the current roster, and definitely not from the Greenway-Ek-Foligno line. Otherwise Kerfoot would be a pretty good example of what I think we'd be looking for.

Roslovic's come up as an idea, but I personally question how likely Evason would be to play him between Fiala and Boldy.

Choose whoever you want of course, but I would warn you if you think Jack R can play centre. Jack is and always has been suited for the wing where he has less defensive responsibilities

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Choose whoever you want of course, but I would warn you if you think Jack R can play centre. Jack is and always has been suited for the wing where he has less defensive responsibilities
Yeah, that's kind of my point. I haven't really watched him much lately but I think Minnesota would want a center-ier center.

Fiala backchecks well but can be turnover prone. Boldy's good defensively but he's got all of 7 NHL games under his belt. I just think Evason's going to want more of a security blanket playing center between them.

Reactions: Hunter368

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Roslovic was one of my suggestions. I thought he was a winger, but on NHL.com he's listed as a C. I was wondering if not playing C was one of the reasons he was not wanting to re-sign in Winnipeg. I guess not being good at C was the actual reason he was on the wing.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Roslovic was one of my suggestions. I thought he was a winger, but on NHL.com he's listed as a C. I was wondering if not playing C was one of the reasons he was not wanting to re-sign in Winnipeg. I guess not being good at C was the actual reason he was on the wing.

Jack was given chances at 2C, 3C and even 4C in Winnipeg even if some of the chances were brief…..he couldn’t hold any of those positions and always fell back to the bottom six due to lack of defensive ability and not enough offensive ability to make him acceptable in a top six role at wing.

Jack is a solid 3rd line winger but needs to be sheltered defensively or have others on his line to help him defensively.

Everything I’ve read on the CBJ board from fans is similar experiences as Jets fans had with Jack. Not an ideal centre or top six winger.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
In a vacuum I like Zacha for a 2nd too, but what's the story here? Why are you okay giving him up for that? What would we be getting?

He's been tried at center for 4-5 years in NJ, with poor to mediocre results. He played pretty well last year as a winger. This year he's even been bad at winger. He's an arbitration eligible RFA with one more year of team control, don't want the Devils to extend him past next year and he's a guy I'd like to see traded for a similar change of scenery RFA in the offseason. Don't see him having a future long term in NJ.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You have listed lots of names that don't appeal to you. Throw out a couple suggestions, maybe that gets the discussion going in the direction the thread was intended.

Here is a list of names I would be good with from teams that may be sellers and guys that may be on the move:

Stastny
Zacha
McCann
Strome (either one, though I'm not sure Ryan is available)
Suter (this is really pushing the limit and I'm not sure he would be viable as he has another year)
Copp

Obviously it's a short list. Some people might think those guys are worth more than a 2nd, but most of those should be able to be had for a 2nd+something lesser than a 2nd at most, given the bandwidth taken up by guys like Hertl, Miller, Giroux, Pavelski, etc if they end up on the block.

Some of these have been brought up already in this thread, and you'll notice I didn't list them in the guys I didn't like for a 2nd. The point is we want to use a 2nd to upgrade Gaudreau, so bringing up guys like Blake Lizotte, Chris Tierney, Johan Larsson doesn't really do anything because none of those are offensive upgrades on Gaudreau.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Knights need cap space; would Stephenson or Janmark be available? What about Roy?

Janmark isn't a center and Stephenson and Roy combined make 3.5M so I'm not sure it makes sense to trade them for cap purposes.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
He is worth more then a 2nd rd pick so he doesn't fit into this situation.
Andrew Copp IS a 2nd line C...just ask him....not worth much more than a 2nd round pick. Scores a goal every 10 games and turns into a ghost for the next 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad