Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
Emrick is annoying tosser who shows no knowledge of the game other than his knowledge of IHL history. He knows more about the Fort Wayne Komets than anyone I've heard before. He does have that going for him.

Your color team is supposed to drop the knowledge and hockey insight. The play-by-play generally calls the game and sets up his partners.

Doc has a tendency to use up a lot of hot air but I like him. He's unique, and real. That's his personality, not some Syracuse grad robot's programmed stock calls that all the young announcers seem to have.

People are saying less and less for fear of offending and I like a guy that still knows how to use a language.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm not a Bruins fan, but even I understand the appeal of Edwards. Sure he's a homer, but he knows it and he adds excitement and knowledge. What else can you ask for? I think he's great at what he does.

Reactions: MetM and rumrokh

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Paul Romanuk called jvr John Van Riemsdyk for like 4 games in a row, how do you get paid to consistently not know the team you regularly cover?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I would like to hear today's announcers do like Bob Cole -- sans 'homerism' -- when the Oilers came back from 0-3 to tie the game with four minutes left. "THEY -- HAVE -- TIED -- THE -- GAME!!"

Awesome call.

Bob Cole has some legendary calls and some legendairly senile moments.

Great call here:

Senile call here:

Somehow went from thinking he was Alfredsson to Silfverberg to Alfredsson back to Silfverberg in the span of 1.5 seconds.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Sam Rosen gets things wrong sometimes but I don't care, he just adds a lot to the experience of watching hockey. It's very noticable when he's absent.
Always focuses on both teams positives without being annoyingly cheerful or homering too much. He's does a good balancing act.

Charlestown Chiefs

Jan 28, 2015
As you mention Redmond, the worst of the 2, is Color so doesn't count as PbP but they both suck and are painful to listen to. "slight" homerism is an understatement.
I watch visiting teams feed because Razor sucks at PbP, the only times i just mute the games is when Boston/Detroit is playing Dallas or the Game is on NBC, the amount of Derp coming out of those crews is just unbelievable bad.
Daniels isn't as bad as Redmond but they are both absolutely terrible, and much like Country music, an assault on the ears.

Side note, being the Best at "Detroit sportscaster" means clearly Detroit has low standards, or no one with talent to chose from.

I really don't get the dislike for Daniels and Redmond, though I understand that Redmond, like all local color guys, might be more of an acquired taste. But I like Mick just fine and Daniels, to me, is an outstanding local play-by-play man. Strader was also very good and, back in the days before Fox Sports Detroit, I thought Bruce Martyn was excellent as well, though he was mostly known for his radio work.

Charlestown Chiefs

Jan 28, 2015
Dave Strader was much better than Ken Daniels, but he quit the Red Wings for some reason. Dave was one of the best and I was saddened by his passing.

Strader left for ESPN, I recall. He was quite good, but I think Daniels is equally talented.

Charlestown Chiefs

Jan 28, 2015
Top 5
Gord Miller
Jim Jackson
Rick Peckham
John Kelly
Pat Foley

Not a lot of TV guys I dislike, but most of the radio guys are just awful. Chris Kerber (Blues) is great and Dave Mishkin (Bolts) is great until something good happens. The Hawks' radio guy is OK, but he really need to drop the whole "butterfly save" thing. Almost every save these days is a butterfly save. Everyone else is just awful.

The Philly and Detroit radio guys are the worst, especially with their voice-crack goal calls. The SJ guy isn't far behind them because he always sounds like a 1940s newsreel narrator reading the PBP from a script.

Sadly (I am a Detroiter through and through), I must agree that Detroit's radio team is not good. Bruce Martyn was way better than Ken Kal and color man Paul Woods speaks in spokenwaytooquickly sound bites.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I am in the minority but I loved Mark Lee when he did the Oilers playoff games in 06 and last year.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Hughson is awful, not sure how far down the list he belongs.
Probably the worst if it wasn't for Paul Romanuk. Who does Romanuk know to get his gig? That guy was only doing International and Jr games and when the new NHL TV deal happens (and new ownership of the Leafs), suddenly he is doing Sportsnet games for the NHL. Those two are easily the worst in the League. Since some fans are bringing up colour guys, Craig Simpson is among the worst. Listening to Hughson and Simpson call a game is like listening to someone scratching their fingernails on the chalkboard.

Among the best are probably: Chris Cuthbert, Gord Miller, even Doc Emrick (if you compare those guys to the worst, you appreciate their commentary more). I like Edwards for Boston, Pittsburgh's and Buffalo's for the sheer entertainment... I guess if you don't like those teams, you might not like them but they have enthusiasm and good 'voices' for the play-by-play regardless of which team you cheer for.

I also like Pat Foley (he was not mentioned? Any reason why? Maybe I'm the only fan? :)) who calls Blackhawks games. Ironically, I like the Red Wings tandem, too.

Edit: Hmmm....just noticed Foley on a list...

Last edited:

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Sadly (I am a Detroiter through and through), I must agree that Detroit's radio team is not good. Bruce Martyn was way better than Ken Kal and color man Paul Woods speaks in spokenwaytooquickly sound bites.
Ken Kal has always been rough to listen to on the radio over the years, especially his high pitched "scores!", rather annoying, indeed.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I like RJ for the Sabres and obviously Sam Rosen for the Rangers, 2 old guys with classic voices.

Jack Edwards gets a lot of heat but i like him.

I don't like the Caps guy, the Red Wings, whoever calls Leafs games on TSN, Penguins, Flyers, Blues (holy jumpin). Also not a huge fan of Steve Cangialosi for the Devils, although i like his calls for the Red Bulls.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Your color team is supposed to drop the knowledge and hockey insight. The play-by-play generally calls the game and sets up his partners.

I don't need him to break down the play but he talks like he has never seen a game of hockey in his life or understand a thing about it.

I mainly (only?) have heard him on national NBC broadcasts so maybe they ask him to dumb it down for a more general audience that didn't grow up watching hockey but I constantly find his comments and phrasing really odd and again coming off as if he has never seen a hockey game in his life.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Probably the worst if it wasn't for Paul Romanuk. Who does Romanuk know to get his gig? That guy was only doing International and Jr games and when the new NHL TV deal happens (and new ownership of the Leafs), suddenly he is doing Sportsnet games for the NHL. Those two are easily the worst in the League. Since some fans are bringing up colour guys, Craig Simpson is among the worst. Listening to Hughson and Simpson call a game is like listening to someone scratching their fingernails on the chalkboard.

Romanuk was doing international and jr games because he lived in Europe at the time. He quit his job in Toronto because his wife got a high-level position in London. He had a lot of experience calling games for TSN before that though so when there was international hockey going on in Europe they would call Paul.

He's doing Sportsnet now because he and his wife moved back to Canada. He's eminently qualified for the job.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Sam is amazing even if he's slowing down. He sometimes loses track of what's happening. He'll pause and claim Lundqvist made a save when it was in fact a goal. He's also had some moments this year where he just sounds like he spaced out and forgot what he was talking about.

For NYR the hope is that either Kenny Albert or Howie Rose takes over when Sam is done.

Sam has been doing more NFL games lately, and he's so good , the pace of the game is slower so he doesn't get mixed up, his football play by play is flawless.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm sure it's been said but Dave Strader was excellent, great voice and cadence for PBP. RIP

Rick Ball is pretty good if maybe a little bland, especially considering the run of terrible PBP guys the Flames had.

Always enjoyed Sam Rosen for the Rangers, those two go together like pizza and ranch.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sam has been doing more NFL games lately, and he's so good , the pace of the game is slower so he doesn't get mixed up, his football play by play is flawless.
He is great doing the NFL games. For a couple years there he was doing a lot of Washington games, and I'm in their market and got to hear him pretty regularly. I could totally see him retiring from hockey but hanging around to do NFL games for a few years. (As a side note, Kevin Burkhardt, who I loved on Mets telecasts a couple years ago, is becoming increasingly good)

Earlier I mentioned Kenny Albert and Howie Rose as guys I'd hope would take over for Sam. I'd like to add Gary Thorne to that list. He used to do the Mets and now does the Orioles. Maybe he'd come back. I loved Gary Thorne and Bill Clement. You had them, Steve Levy and Barry Melrose/Joe Micheletti/Brian Engblom, Dave Strader and Darren Pang. The old ESPN National Hockey Night crews. Honestly ESPN is hot garbage and is a big part of what's wrong with society (I digress), but man they did a good job with hockey. I can still hear the theme in my head.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Doc has a tendency to use up a lot of hot air but I like him. He's unique, and real. That's his personality, not some Syracuse grad robot's programmed stock calls that all the young announcers seem to have.

People are saying less and less for fear of offending and I like a guy that still knows how to use a language.
He offers no insight on the game. Nothing. An obnoxious twit.

MUTE.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He offers no insight on the game. Nothing. An obnoxious twit.

MUTE.
I wouldn't go that far, but he talks *too much*. He talks over important moments when he should be calling the game, and he makes benign shots from the point into DRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES and sometimes undercalls more high danger moment.

I don't think Doc has a great feel for the game.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I still enjoy Randy Hahn doing the Sharks broadcasts even though he makes more mistakes as he has gotten older (or its the terrible view from the booth) but I can't stand Baker doing the color, he is as bad as Remenda was. I miss briefly having Hedican doing color.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad