Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am Devils fan but Sam Rosen is easily one of the best PBP guys in the world no matter what the sport. He's the definition of professionalism and never shows any biases, although his partner can be slightly homerish at times. I know he is getting up there is age so im nervous John Giannone may get the job. A man with voice who never should have been allowed behind a microphone.
Sam is amazing even if he's slowing down. He sometimes loses track of what's happening. He'll pause and claim Lundqvist made a save when it was in fact a goal. He's also had some moments this year where he just sounds like he spaced out and forgot what he was talking about.

For NYR the hope is that either Kenny Albert or Howie Rose takes over when Sam is done.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
Nobody can hate Rick Jeanneret, sure some people say they do but they really don't. The most popular Sabre in the team's history is their play by play man. I love the iconic old timers, they had more passion and personality and distinctive voices and accents. Maybe because they came from small towns all over Canada just like the players. So many of today's NHL pxp guys are dull as dishwater, I hear AHL and junior guys who are better than many doing NHL games. I was watching the Jets vs Wild last week, my god was the entire Wild broadcast bad, I switched over to the Winnipeg feed and it was night and day, the Wild had the crowd, the sounds from the ice potted way down, their pxp and color guys sounded half comatose. Dennis Beyak of the Jets is very good.

I do like that Hughson trolls Leafs fans whether it's intentional or not, he calls their opponents' goals louder than Leafs goals.

The best duo of all time, Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin, when the Montreal Forum was the St. Peter's Basilica of hockey.

Cuthbert's the best of today's group.
Well, you'd be wrong. I am one who absolutely cannot stand Rick Jeanneret. His voice is unbearable and every single play he's screaming in his crackling shitty voice. I respect the man, and he's certainly had some great calls, but at this point I feel he is constantly trying way too hard to replicate the magic he had once in a blue moon. I look forward to the day he retires.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I am Devils fan but Sam Rosen is easily one of the best PBP guys in the world no matter what the sport. He's the definition of professionalism and never shows any biases, although his partner can be slightly homerish at times. I know he is getting up there is age so im nervous John Giannone may get the job. A man with voice who never should have been allowed behind a microphone.
Giannone is the worst. Perfectly fine ice side reporter, but his voice is just awful for PbP. I also fear that he's Sam's replacement which would stink. That's why I hope Sam can keep doing his thing.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Pens and Bruins announcers make my ears bleed.

Jack Edwards is extremely annoying.

Steigerwald yes. But he's not their announcer anymore.

Or are you talking about Steve Mears? I think he's doing really well as the Penguins play-by-play guy, but I may also have listened to Steigy for wayyyyy to long, anyone else would be an improvement.

I’m loving the new Pens TV team since they got rid of frick and frack who made people dumber during each broadcast.

However, no one tops Mike Lange.

They only got rid of Frick. Frack is still there as the color guy, but I don't mind him Frick was the one that needed to go and he did.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
But "Doc" is the smartest guy in the room. His nickname is "Doc" because he has a doctorate. Idk how anyone could dislike Emrick the guy could make a potato sack race run. Go see what announcers from other sports think of "Doc". People like Vin Scully or Al Michaels the man is held in the highest esteem possible. One of the greatest of all time. Him, Sam Rosen and the late Dave Strader were and are the best American hockey announcers by far. You want dumb sound bites go for Gary Thorne or Jeaeanette who's called Buffalo games for years.

And what room is "Doc" the smartest guy in? Would have to be a room of real dull bulbs, but possible.:laugh:

I was raised on Ted Darling in Buffalo, so RJ is my second favorite Sabres PBP man. I like him, but not to the extent some who worship him do.

Emrick is annoying tosser who shows no knowledge of the game other than his knowledge of IHL history. He knows more about the Fort Wayne Komets than anyone I've heard before. He does have that going for him.

Like I said, love my mute button if he has a game.

As for a color man, no one is as annoying as Craig Laugh....................lin......

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
This thread makes me miss Gary Thorne & Bill Clement, very few tandems were better.

Never cared for Joe Beninati, especially come playoff time, where if the Caps aren't involved, he sounds bored.

Willy Daunic for the Preds, was better when he was in radio, and Pete Weber should return to tv, in my opinion, but at least Stu Grimson is gone, so that's a plus.

Reactions: Matt Angel and Adz

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I watch a lot of west coast games before I go to bed, and I cannot stand the color guy for the LA Kings. It's not WHAT he says, he adds some genuinely thoughtful insights, it's HOW he says it. Every sentence ends the same tone. It sounds like he's a news reporter signing off after a live segment. No idea how to describe it, but it really annoys me lol. Don't really hate any other crew too much. The Lightning crew gets a little overexcited about pretty mundane plays, but it's not too bad.

I'm pretty indifferent to most crews. The only teams I can say that I actually LIKE to listen to are John Kelly and Pang(obvious homer), the 'Hawks crew(moreso the play by play guy, Eddie O is pretty meh) and the guys that call many of the Oiler games.

Reactions: Matt Angel

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Boston Bruins have the worst announcers in sports

There is a difference between which hockey teams you hate and which announcers are good or bad. The NESN announcers are biased for sure but they know about hockey. Edwards hockey knowledge is above average to say the least and he always praise the others teams or players when they do nice plays. To the point where you think "hey aren't you supposed to be a homer?"

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
There is a difference between which hockey teams you hate and which announcers are good or bad. The NESN announcers are biased for sure but they know about hockey. Edwards hockey knowledge is above average to say the least and he always praise the others teams or players when they do nice plays. To the point where you think "hey aren't you supposed to be a homer?"
Nobody has ever been confused about that. :laugh:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Sam is amazing even if he's slowing down. He sometimes loses track of what's happening. He'll pause and claim Lundqvist made a save when it was in fact a goal. He's also had some moments this year where he just sounds like he spaced out and forgot what he was talking about.

For NYR the hope is that either Kenny Albert or Howie Rose takes over when Sam is done.
Kenny Albert or Howie Rose would be great replacements. Although I thought Howie Rose retired but since he's a diehard ranger fan in sure he would come out of retirement for that. Howie is also one of the best and so is Kenny Albert.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I watch a lot of west coast games before I go to bed, and I cannot stand the color guy for the LA Kings. It's not WHAT he says, he adds some genuinely thoughtful insights, it's HOW he says it. Every sentence ends the same tone. It sounds like he's a news reporter signing off after a live segment. No idea how to describe it, but it really annoys me lol. Don't really hate any other crew too much. The Lightning crew gets a little overexcited about pretty mundane plays, but it's not too bad.

I'm pretty indifferent to most crews. The only teams I can say that I actually LIKE to listen to are John Kelly and Pang(obvious homer), the 'Hawks crew(moreso the play by play guy, Eddie O is pretty meh) and the guys that call many of the Oiler games.
I’m usually half-in-the-bag to even notice west coast announcers.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Blues are terrible (Pang is a homer and so annoying), my Hawks are terrible, Pitts is/was terrible, Wild guys are terrible, Coyotes are terrible, and Detroit is terrible.

Sharks crew is the best in the game, IMO. Also like the Avs, Stars (I think it's them), and a few others. All I ask for is to not be a complete f***ing idiot and not annoy me. Pang and Eddie O are two of the most annoying people in the booth.

Pang was great for ESPN in short snips but in the booth (and listening to the Holy Jumpin BS and blatant homerism) he's awful.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

The Blues AND the Hawks? I think you are insane (though I don't mind the pregame and INT tv crew for the Blues).

BTW I"m a Hawk fan.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Definitely agree on Blues part.
Worst are the two senile buffoons in Detroit.
Redmond can be awful and ken danials use to be a leaf homer on the CBC news.

Best Cuthbert, (TSN) AINEC
Worst Jerk Edwards(Boston)
Lots of potential homer ones, but edwards is without a doubt the worst announcer in the league. (unless you are a super homer boston fan)
personally thats why i like Cuthbert, i have no idea if there is a team he likes. very professional.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Man, this is so true. Craig Simpson was a great player I cheered for as a kid, but listening to him do "color" (there is none)-commentating is the excitement equivalent of sitting alone in a chair to watch paint drying on the wall for three hours. He simply has no personality.

Jim Hughson always seems like a nice, smart, fair guy... and he's also unbelievably boring. It would help if he didn't try to show off his vocabulary during the broadcast. Jim, your job is to call the game and make it sound exciting, not to micro-analyze every play. I DO NOT WANT THE PLAY-by-PLAY GUY TO ANALYZE THE GAME. Okay? Okay. It's fine for the color guy to do it -- that's sort of his job and it's why the color-commentator is often an ex-player.

If you've only experienced Bob Cole since, say, the 2005 Lock-out, then you completely missed his salad days, which was around the late-80s. Today, he is the broadcast equivalent of Jaromir Jagr -- on his last legs, a pale shadow of his former self. He was really great back in the day, and part of what made him great is that he could make reading the phone book sound exciting and important. (Jim Hughson cannot do this.) Also, he fell into that 'old-skool' type of broadcaster where he was chummy with the players, chain-smoked, called it straight (no stupid anecdotes, no in-depth analysis), and went by pure heart. Cole and ex-coach Harry Neale were maybe the best team I've heard, back in those days, because Neale was incredibly witty and funny, as well as having a lot of respect for the players.

I must say I prefer the "manly" type of announcer. The announcer, like a soul singer, needs to be able to convince the listener of their authority. This is where someone like Paul Romanuk fails miserably, because he sounds like a 10-year-old school girl who invents words to try to sound cool. Gord Miller is a really good broadcaster and 'host'-type, but a poor play-by-play guy because he talks way too fast and sounds like a chipmunk when someone scores. I think Gord Miller would be perfect in a role like Ron McLean's on Hockey Night in Canada, but he doesn't work as a play-by-play.

Ray Ferraro has some good insights and speaks well. (The only issue with him is he's too serious and intense -- his tone suggests he's talking about the assassination of a President when he's actually discussing an offside. Also he tells too many stories about his '93 playoff hot streak.)

Chris Cuthbert is fantastic. His voice has gotten a little more 'shrill' now than in the 1990s or back in the day, but he's still first-rate.

I really respect Doc Emerick and like him, but I always wonder why he always starts sentences with long noun-phrases as subjects. Examples:
- Not knowing he had scored was Ovechkin!
- Coming around the boards quickly is the puck.
- Failing to notice his teammate and going offside was Kessel.
He's not quite Yoda, but he's nearly there...

Rick Jeanneret is a legend, though he's getting a bit too old now. I really like him -- seems like a super nice guy. So funny. Buffalo fans love him. We could never accuse him of not having a personality.

Who's the ex-player who does the color-commentating for Pittsburgh? He's quite good.

I also really like Louie Debrusk for Edmonton and Hockey-Night-in-Canada broadcasts. Terrible player, but a great broadcaster (sort of the opposite of Craig Simpson).

Great recap and I agree a prime Cole and Neale team were as good as it gets.

My favorite announcers in other sports were the legend Vin Scully in baseball and Martin Tyler in English Footie. Summerall and Madden in the NFL were an incredible one two punch for contrasting yet complimentary styles. In commentating it’s about the talent but also the stylistic mix and match. Keith Jackson in college football is the gold standard all will be measured by.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I watch a lot of west coast games before I go to bed, and I cannot stand the color guy for the LA Kings. It's not WHAT he says, he adds some genuinely thoughtful insights, it's HOW he says it. Every sentence ends the same tone. It sounds like he's a news reporter signing off after a live segment. No idea how to describe it, but it really annoys me lol.
That would be former L.A. Kings' player, Jim Fox.

He seems like a solid guy, and what he says is usually fine, but I agree with you that his intonation when describing stuff is kind of odd. He somehow comes off like an actor doing a TV infomercial, and not a sports guy.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ken Daniels isn't bad at all... The bad one of the pairing there is Mickey. While he undoubtedly is very knowledgable of the game, he has a habit of not letting things go. If there's a bad call he'll complain about it for the next 10 minutes.

And while it's easy to complain about him being "Homer" for that... He calls out a bad call when it goes the other way too.

I think the most brutal thing I've ever see was Avs announcers calling an overtime goal once...

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
I do like John Kelly a lot, but when it comes to other teams, I'm a fan of John Forslund and (shockingly) Pat Foley.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Thought it would be interesting to see your thoughts on this. I'll start it off:

Best: Kevin Quinn (Oilers - I might be a little biased)

Please tell me you're joking. Quinn is the absolute worst. How many times was Brandon Davidson called McDavid? "Anton" Sekera? Tonight he said "Slepyshev is a healthy scratch tonight, sidelined with a groin injury." WTF?

As for best, my vote goes to Gord Miller. Many fond memories of his calls at the WJC, wish we could have him for every Oiler game.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I would like to hear today's announcers do like Bob Cole -- sans 'homerism' -- when the Oilers came back from 0-3 to tie the game with four minutes left. "THEY -- HAVE -- TIED -- THE -- GAME!!"

Awesome call.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think a lot of people who hate on Jack Edwards don't remember his days with ESPN and HDnet. He was excellent back then. He's still just as good now.
So, if he's just as good as he was back then, and the people who hate him never listened to/remember him in those days... if I'm doing the math right, they would have hated him back then also... right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad