Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Sam Rosen and Jack Edwards annoy me so much. The Caps guy do as well.

Emrick is the best. I love Jim Hughson a lot too.

FlyersFanSinceBirth

Jul 1, 2010
You realize Pens no longer use Steigy, right? Pens are now MUCH improved with Steve Mears.

Wtf? call us one of the worst yet you've not heard the new guy...
Which means I was commenting on the last 2. Errey and Steigerwald? Something like that. I actually didn't know they had new announcers until I read it in this thread.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Have to vote Chris Cuthbert here for best and while he is no longer active, Curt Kielback the former voice of the Winnipeg Jets and Phoenix Coyotes will always stand as my favorite all time!!!

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I find Floridas and Detroits really annoying, more so their colour guys though. Also the announcer who says "Big save" on NBC? I don't remember his name but i find him really annoying.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Not a best/worst, but the Vegas dude sounds like Larry David when something exciting happens.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Romanuk makes my ears bleed. Minnesota's guy is so biased it's unbelievable. Anaheim's isnt far behind.

Jack Edwards is easily one of my favorites.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Bob Cole was the best. Oh my heavens. Joe Sakic scores. They're going home! Then it's you-know, and it's uh-oh. The team pours over the boards!

So many memorable calls.

Having watched about three quarters of Bob Cole's career, I believe Chris Cuthbert has the voice, situational awareness and excitement factor to exceed him.

Reactions: Matt Angel

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Dallas went from having the best to being bad. Strangis/Reaugh and Strader/Reaugh were the best in the league. Great pbp guys with the best color guy. Now Reaugh does pbp which he's average at and Ludwig is the worst color guy in sports. Hopefully they hire a full time pbp guy next year and move Reaugh back to color.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Favorite: Strader :(, Miller/Forslund (Mmmmmmmmaaaarrrrrriooooonnnn Gaaaabbbooooorrriiikkkk, Game 1 against the Ducks 2014)

For the lol highlights: Devil's announcer, swear that guy's gonna have a stroke on one of the goals.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Stars guys are both very good

Ducks guys I always avoid. Just constantly complaining about something or the other going against the Ducks. I watched their last game against the Preds and had to sit through a 3 minute soliloquy about how Nashville defenders are slashers who keep getting away with bloody murder.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Kielback was great. He left the Yotes after my 2nd year or so of CI, shame. Loved a lot of his calls.

Last I heard, he was doing PBP in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League. He apparently tried, but was never granted an interview when the Jets returned to Winnipeg in 2011.

Miss hearing his enthusiastic calls. Watching old YouTube clips with his calls sure brings back memories.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Love Sam Rosen. Yes, he is a Ranger fan and can get a bit animated over the mundane, like any save Hank makes, but he is likeable and is always good for some laughs when he butchers visiting players names.

Sam was great but he's making a lot of mistakes these days...age showing I guess. Gets a lot of players wrong, gets behind the play, can't tell if the puck is in the net or not. Having a real rough go of it so far this year. His enthusiasm for the game is still good but he's slipping in his details :(

Rangers radio guy, Kenny Albert, is great. I hope he takes over when Sam retires. He just has that play by play voice (I mean, his dad is Marv Albert). He does so much other announcing stuff though he'd probably have to skip a lot of games and we'd get John Gianonne, who I kinda like as a between the bench personality and all but his play by play definitely feels like someone filling in. He's technically fine, just always feels a little awkward somehow.

The worst play by play guys are the ones who go insane if their team scores and basically drop their voice and downplay it when the other team scores like if they could somehow not have to admit they scored then it wouldn't happen.

I actually love Jack Edwards when he's not going overboard being a homer. He's just fun to listen to even though I'm not a Bruins fan. When he gets too crazy homerish it's annoying but in general he's actually really good. As I recall their color guy is kinda crap though.

Beninati annoys me, feels like he's trying to be a bargain basement Doc

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Ah. This yearly thread again... I'll play along.

Worst: Brian Hayward from Anaheim
Best: Any team other than Hayward + The Ducks

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
It is because you are biased because Kevin Quinn is god awful. The way he sounds like his dog was shot everytime the opposition scores and screams when the Oilers complete a single pass is embarassing. The whole SNET Oilers crew is pathetic with the homerism. How they continue to let Principe ask other teams players about how amazing it must be to play against the Oilers is beyond me.

Hughson is great in non-Canuck games and awful when covering them. Gord Miller and Cutherbert are both great as well.

I don't get the love for Emerick. I think his voice is like nails a chalkboard and he always sounds like it is his first time watching hockey with his comments. But I understand for many Americans he is the "voice" of hockey for them so perhaps that factors into it.

Not a play by play but Cassie Campbell is really terrible as a fill in for the Flames. I understand the desire to put women into roles that are 95% male dominated but putting in sub-par candidates simply because they are women does nothing to help. She is terrible and not showing signs of getting better.

Interesting. I've always found Hughson to be a massive Canucks homer. What is it that makes him awful covering them? Just curious.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Interesting. I've always found Hughson to be a massive Canucks homer. What is it that makes him awful covering them? Just curious.

Well as you say he is a huge Canucks homer so listening to him covering their games is awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad