Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Interesting. I've always found Hughson to be a massive Canucks homer. What is it that makes him awful covering them? Just curious.
Exactly that, the homerism.

Hughson and Simpson are basically the Joe Buck and Troy Aikman of Canada. They're neutral (when it comes to non-Canuck games. In that case, god help us all when Hughson calls Canuck games) and have been tolerable since that cancer Healy got axed... but they're absolutely, infuriatingly boring and bland. I don't think Simpson has shown an ounce of emotion in his life when analyzing something, no wonder how amazing the play might've been, or made a witty remark/joke. He's smart, but he has no personality at all. Hughson will not show much emotion for most goals either and will sometimes get so lost in his train of thought that a goal happens and he waits to finish off his thought before going "oh, there's a goal".

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Well as you say he is a huge Canucks homer so listening to him covering their games is awful.

I guess it would help if you were a fan of them. Don't know why I had assumed you were. Disregard that.

Exactly that, the homerism.

Hughson and Simpson are basically the Joe Buck and Troy Aikman of Canada. They're neutral (when it comes to non-Canuck games. In that case, god help us all when Hughson calls Canuck games) and have been tolerable since that cancer Healy got axed... but they're absolutely, infuriatingly boring and bland. I don't think Simpson has shown an ounce of emotion in his life when analyzing something, no wonder how amazing the play might've been, or made a witty remark/joke. He's smart, but he has no personality at all. Hughson will not show much emotion for most goals either and will sometimes get so lost in his train of thought that a goal happens and he waits to finish off his thought before going "oh, there's a goal".

Yeah, I assumed OP was a Canucks fan for some reason.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Sam Rosen is great even as he’s getting up there in age. He’s an old school announcer, has a great voice and the best part about him is he’s just as excited for an opponent goal or a great save by the opponent’s goalie. He just has a great sense for being the perfect pitch and level for the right moments.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Man, this is so true. Craig Simpson was a great player I cheered for as a kid, but listening to him do "color" (there is none)-commentating is the excitement equivalent of sitting alone in a chair to watch paint drying on the wall for three hours. He simply has no personality.

Jim Hughson always seems like a nice, smart, fair guy... and he's also unbelievably boring. It would help if he didn't try to show off his vocabulary during the broadcast. Jim, your job is to call the game and make it sound exciting, not to micro-analyze every play. I DO NOT WANT THE PLAY-by-PLAY GUY TO ANALYZE THE GAME. Okay? Okay. It's fine for the color guy to do it -- that's sort of his job and it's why the color-commentator is often an ex-player.

If you've only experienced Bob Cole since, say, the 2005 Lock-out, then you completely missed his salad days, which was around the late-80s. Today, he is the broadcast equivalent of Jaromir Jagr -- on his last legs, a pale shadow of his former self. He was really great back in the day, and part of what made him great is that he could make reading the phone book sound exciting and important. (Jim Hughson cannot do this.) Also, he fell into that 'old-skool' type of broadcaster where he was chummy with the players, chain-smoked, called it straight (no stupid anecdotes, no in-depth analysis), and went by pure heart. Cole and ex-coach Harry Neale were maybe the best team I've heard, back in those days, because Neale was incredibly witty and funny, as well as having a lot of respect for the players.

I must say I prefer the "manly" type of announcer. The announcer, like a soul singer, needs to be able to convince the listener of their authority. This is where someone like Paul Romanuk fails miserably, because he sounds like a 10-year-old school girl who invents words to try to sound cool. Gord Miller is a really good broadcaster and 'host'-type, but a poor play-by-play guy because he talks way too fast and sounds like a chipmunk when someone scores. I think Gord Miller would be perfect in a role like Ron McLean's on Hockey Night in Canada, but he doesn't work as a play-by-play.

Ray Ferraro has some good insights and speaks well. (The only issue with him is he's too serious and intense -- his tone suggests he's talking about the assassination of a President when he's actually discussing an offside. Also he tells too many stories about his '93 playoff hot streak.)

Chris Cuthbert is fantastic. His voice has gotten a little more 'shrill' now than in the 1990s or back in the day, but he's still first-rate.

I really respect Doc Emerick and like him, but I always wonder why he always starts sentences with long noun-phrases as subjects. Examples:
- Not knowing he had scored was Ovechkin!
- Coming around the boards quickly is the puck.
- Failing to notice his teammate and going offside was Kessel.
He's not quite Yoda, but he's nearly there...

Rick Jeanneret is a legend, though he's getting a bit too old now. I really like him -- seems like a super nice guy. So funny. Buffalo fans love him. We could never accuse him of not having a personality.

Who's the ex-player who does the color-commentating for Pittsburgh? He's quite good.

I also really like Louie Debrusk for Edmonton and Hockey-Night-in-Canada broadcasts. Terrible player, but a great broadcaster (sort of the opposite of Craig Simpson).

Reactions: ps241 and Raymoondo

bar1

Apr 16, 2012
Don't know who the announcer was in Pens - Jets game (1-7 btw) but I almost fell asleep in the middle of the game. Oh wait, I did fall asleep.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know who the best is but bar-none the worst is Jack Edwards. Sorry B's fans but the guy is just so over the top sometimes. I thought some people around here were complete homers, then I watched a few Bruins feeds. It's like the guy is watching a completely different game.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Last I heard, he was doing PBP in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League. He apparently tried, but was never granted an interview when the Jets returned to Winnipeg in 2011.

Miss hearing his enthusiastic calls. Watching old YouTube clips with his calls sure brings back memories.

I watched Goon 2 a month ago (the hockey movie with Sean William Scott aka Stiffler) and I'm 99% sure they had him do the commentary. Movie is a 4/10 though.

And I agree, I think he is one of the best

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I easily agree that Craig Simpson is the most bland, boring colour commentator in the business. No wit, no personality but he knows the game.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He's not play by play but I always get a huge kick out of Ken Daneyko. I feel like I'm listening to old WWF commentary with Jesse "The Body" Ventura. I always feel like at any moment he's going to say something like "Aww man dats a tough call against da Devulz Gorilla!"

Haha same.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Nobody can hate Rick Jeanneret, sure some people say they do but they really don't. The most popular Sabre in the team's history is their play by play man. I love the iconic old timers, they had more passion and personality and distinctive voices and accents. Maybe because they came from small towns all over Canada just like the players. So many of today's NHL pxp guys are dull as dishwater, I hear AHL and junior guys who are better than many doing NHL games. I was watching the Jets vs Wild last week, my god was the entire Wild broadcast bad, I switched over to the Winnipeg feed and it was night and day, the Wild had the crowd, the sounds from the ice potted way down, their pxp and color guys sounded half comatose. Dennis Beyak of the Jets is very good.

I do like that Hughson trolls Leafs fans whether it's intentional or not, he calls their opponents' goals louder than Leafs goals.

The best duo of all time, Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin, when the Montreal Forum was the St. Peter's Basilica of hockey.

Cuthbert's the best of today's group.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Haha same.

lol and you contrast him to Steve Cangialosi -who reminds me of a kid who has gotten ahold of too much sugar and you've got probably the most unlikely broadcasting tandem in the NHL. But for what it's worth it works out and they actually do a really good job. You can tell Daneyko is still somewhat of a novice broadcaster because sometimes he isn't always fluid and have all of his thoughts together at once when speaking for prolonged periods but then again I could just be mistaking his demeanor for inexperience. But he makes up for it because understands the game better than anyone. Any weakness in Daneyko's part is balanced by Steve's contagious enthusiasm. I can't help but start pulling for the Devils a little bit when I watch his broadcasts.

Reactions: AustonsNostrils

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
You realize Pens no longer use Steigy, right? Pens are now MUCH improved with Steve Mears.

Wtf? call us one of the worst yet you've not heard the new guy...

Good they finally got rid of that scrub who consistently bad mouthed other organizations for years. The problem is you probably still have Errey who was infected by the nonsense and superiority complex Steigerwald spewed on a nightly basis. I'm sure you guys gave him a great send off when he should of been fired years ago.

It's also funny how Pens just assume everyone should know they got rid of steigerwald 13 games into new season. I'm not suprised since a good percentage of pens ans also leafs fans think the hockey world revolves around them. Which was bound to happen when stiegerwald and success combine forces.

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
doc is bad
Doc is what the mute button on the TV was designed for.

Tries to act like the smartest guy. Using Danny Gallivan descriptions does not make one smart; nor does speaking like a pre - pubescent Yoda.

Hughson is good. Dunleavy in Buffalo I like - calls the game like it should be called.

The game is the center piece; announcers who try to take away from that are difficult listen to.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Stars guys are both very good

Ducks guys I always avoid. Just constantly complaining about something or the other going against the Ducks. I watched their last game against the Preds and had to sit through a 3 minute soliloquy about how Nashville defenders are slashers who keep getting away with bloody murder.

You're spot on about the ducks they are so biased it unbelievable. Them and Detroit are the worse by far when it comes to that now that the Pens pbp guy is guy. Nothing but homers.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
The Oilers crew are awful. They are biased without being even a little bit exciting or entertaining. Worst of both worlds.

Reactions: BHD

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Sam Rosen is great even as he’s getting up there in age. He’s an old school announcer, has a great voice and the best part about him is he’s just as excited for an opponent goal or a great save by the opponent’s goalie. He just has a great sense for being the perfect pitch and level for the right moments.

I am Devils fan but Sam Rosen is easily one of the best PBP guys in the world no matter what the sport. He's the definition of professionalism and never shows any biases, although his partner can be slightly homerish at times. I know he is getting up there is age so im nervous John Giannone may get the job. A man with voice who never should have been allowed behind a microphone.

Last edited:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Doc is what the mute button on the TV was designed for.

Tries to act like the smartest guy. Using Danny Gallivan descriptions does not make one smart; nor does speaking like a pre - pubescent Yoda.

Hughson is good. Dunleavy in Buffalo I like - calls the game like it should be called.

The game is the center piece; announcers who try to take away from that are difficult listen to.

But "Doc" is the smartest guy in the room. His nickname is "Doc" because he has a doctorate. Idk how anyone could dislike Emrick the guy could make a potato sack race run. Go see what announcers from other sports think of "Doc". People like Vin Scully or Al Michaels the man is held in the highest esteem possible. One of the greatest of all time. Him, Sam Rosen and the late Dave Strader were and are the best American hockey announcers by far. You want dumb sound bites go for Gary Thorne or Jeaeanette who's called Buffalo games for years.

Last edited:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Ken Daniels is often regarded as the best sportscaster out of all of Detroit's pro sports teams and is the most likely candidate to win Detroit Sportscaster of the year on any given year. The color guy is Mickey Redmond who has more hockey knowledge in his pinky then nearly every color guy in the league. They are a phenomenal crew and literally the only reason people dislike them is because of slight homerism, which is completely fine on a freaking local feed imo.

Slight homerism lol.
More like over the top biases. I'd be embarrassed if my color guy acted like that.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Only the Boston and Pens announcers can watch their all-star tomahawk a guy from behind and analyze how innocent he is.

Reactions: Iceman

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Good they finally got rid of that scrub who consistently bad mouthed other organizations for years. The problem is you probably still have Errey who was infected by the nonsense and superiority complex Steigerwald spewed on a nightly basis. I'm sure you guys gave him a great send off when he should of been fired years ago.

It's also funny how Pens just assume everyone should know they got rid of steigerwald 13 games into new season. I'm not suprised since a good percentage of pens ans also leafs fans think the hockey world revolves around them. Which was bound to happen when stiegerwald and success combine forces.

Uhhh 16 games so get your facts right before you post. There was also a thread about Mears. And i'm not even going to go on about your stupid "Pens fans think the world revolves around them" part. You're one of those type of posters, not worth it.

Too bad there wasn't an option to downvote or negative rep a poster. Adios.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad