Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Good they finally got rid of that scrub who consistently bad mouthed other organizations for years. The problem is you probably still have Errey who was infected by the nonsense and superiority complex Steigerwald spewed on a nightly basis. I'm sure you guys gave him a great send off when he should of been fired years ago.

It's also funny how Pens just assume everyone should know they got rid of steigerwald 13 games into new season. I'm not suprised since a good percentage of pens ans also leafs fans think the hockey world revolves around them. Which was bound to happen when stiegerwald and success combine forces.

Lol, there was literally a thread on the main board about it.

GoldyNuck

Mar 7, 2017
Always thought John Garrett and John Shorthouse were great. Shorthouse is definitely the stronger PBP commentator of the two but John Garrett's comic relief is unmatched

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Always thought John Garrett and John Shorthouse were great. Shorthouse is definitely the stronger PBP commentator of the two but John Garrett's comic relief is unmatched

I could see how as a Canuck maybe you would think Garrett is ok but his homerism has to be top 5 in the league.

If you listen to him there hasn't been a legit penalty call against the Canucks in his entire time covering the team.

I guess homerism is ok when it is just a home team broadcast (although I personally hate it even if it is my team) but often on Sportsnet we only get the home teams broadcast crew and Garrett still treats it as though he was talking to the Canucks super fans as his audience.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh WAS one of the worst.

But just the subtraction of Steigerwald alone makes them one of the best now, Not to mention that their new guy Steve Mears is fantastic.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers announcers are aweful. Kevin Quinn and Drew Remenda...woof

I love when we get Louie DeBrusk though. Remenda isn't as negative this year which is funny because we've sucked compared to last year.

Overall, yeah they're not great.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Romanuck and Millen are the worst crew ever. I don’t really like Jim Hughson but compared to the two I just mentionned he’s not that bad. TSN is such a better network then Sportsnet its not even funny. With that said, Chris Cuthbert is the best in my books

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Tyson Nash is a far and away the worst color guy in the game, I’d take anyone over him.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I love when we get Louie DeBrusk though. Remenda isn't as negative this year which is funny because we've sucked compared to last year.

Overall, yeah they're not great.

Agree with the DeBrusk comment. Always enjoyed his commentary and delivery. Knows the game, explains things well, and doesn't try to lean on personal relationships with players/coaches still in the game and related anecdotes (hope that makes sense). It is crazy annoying how often Rememda will reference something a player/coach told him, then repeat it 10 more times (rarely relating to something actually happening in the game).

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I like R.J. Broadhead. He has a great voice--buttery but decisive, with just a touch of Muppet--and he has an excellent ability to keep up the tone as the game slows.

I really miss Hnidy. He became a terrific analyst.

jim hughson. he's the only non-biased commentator. all the other ones shouldn't be commentating at all.

The guy who tried to make the case that Bozak, Kessel, and van Riemsdyk were the best line in hockey?

Nobody can hate Rick Jeanneret, sure some people say they do but they really don't. The most popular Sabre in the team's history is their play by play man. I love the iconic old timers, they had more passion and personality and distinctive voices and accents. Maybe because they came from small towns all over Canada just like the players. So many of today's NHL pxp guys are dull as dishwater, I hear AHL and junior guys who are better than many doing NHL games. I was watching the Jets vs Wild last week, my god was the entire Wild broadcast bad, I switched over to the Winnipeg feed and it was night and day, the Wild had the crowd, the sounds from the ice potted way down, their pxp and color guys sounded half comatose. Dennis Beyak of the Jets is very good.

I do like that Hughson trolls Leafs fans whether it's intentional or not, he calls their opponents' goals louder than Leafs goals.

The best duo of all time, Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin, when the Montreal Forum was the St. Peter's Basilica of hockey.

Cuthbert's the best of today's group.

Sportsnet has comparititively quiet crowd sound, too, and it drives some Jets fans nuts.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
I feel like I should know this but who is the guy that guy that says 'SCORES' very distinctly?

Not sure if he's just the Leafs announcer or works for TSN, or Sportsnet or what.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
I still enjoy Randy Hahn doing the Sharks broadcasts even though he makes more mistakes as he has gotten older (or its the terrible view from the booth) but I can't stand Baker doing the color, he is as bad as Remenda was. I miss briefly having Hedican doing color.

We may get Hedican tonight on the national broadcast.

edit: Nope, it's Brian Engblom

GoldyNuck

Mar 7, 2017
I could see how as a Canuck maybe you would think Garrett is ok but his homerism has to be top 5 in the league.

If you listen to him there hasn't been a legit penalty call against the Canucks in his entire time covering the team.

I guess homerism is ok when it is just a home team broadcast (although I personally hate it even if it is my team) but often on Sportsnet we only get the home teams broadcast crew and Garrett still treats it as though he was talking to the Canucks super fans as his audience.

Very true, but I guess it's easy to like someone more when they tell you what they like to hear all the time hahaha. In all honesty though I really do enjoy Shorthouse's commentary, much less biased and he makes the game more interesting

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I cannot watch games on NBCSN without it on mute. Pierre McGuire drives me up a wall.

That being said this may be homer but I love listening to Panger and John Kelly together. Panger just seems to enjoy the hell out of everything he talks about... either that or he's a little crazy

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I wouldn't go that far, but he talks *too much*. He talks over important moments when he should be calling the game, and he makes benign shots from the point into DRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES and sometimes undercalls more high danger moment.

I don't think Doc has a great feel for the game.

Ooooh yeaaaahhh!

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
I'm a fan of homers, they make every play seem like it's taking place in game 7 of the cup finals. Joe Bowen's been my guy forever as a Leafs fan but I find Dave Mishkin ridiculously entertaining to listen too. Every goal is like a playoff overtime winner to him, I love it.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Minnesota's broadcast is pretty painful on the ears.

I love Daryl Reaugh, but not as a PBP guy. His wit and extensive vocabulary are designed for the colour role.

Bob Miller is a legend and all, but this new PBP guy for the Kings is awesome.

Last edited:

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Very true, but I guess it's easy to like someone more when they tell you what they like to hear all the time hahaha. In all honesty though I really do enjoy Shorthouse's commentary, much less biased and he makes the game more interesting

Of course people like to be told what they like to hear. That's what it means to like to hear something. :S

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad