Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Jack Edwards is clearly great. I don't think I've ever listened to an entire game he's done, but whenever someone here links a clip of his, whether they mean it to be positive or negative, it's been great. People who dislike their local broadcasters being homers are insane.

[mod] Most announcers are at least fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

torirose1998

Oct 31, 2017
New York, New York
I hate Mike Emrick. Whenever he's covering the game, its not the same as compared to when someone like Sam Rosen is covering it. Emrick's voice gives me PTSD of the shitty commentary for the EA NHL video games.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I love when we get Louie DeBrusk though. Remenda isn't as negative this year which is funny because we've sucked compared to last year.

Overall, yeah they're not great.
Its not even his negativity..i appreciate honesty...its his overall preparation. He gets names wrong...gets side tracked almost and talks about irrelevant things.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The islanders announcer who can’t even say mcdavid properly shouldn’t really have a job

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
Jack Edwards is clearly great. I don't think I've ever listened to an entire game he's done, but whenever someone here links a clip of his, whether they mean it to be positive or negative, it's been great. People who dislike their local broadcasters being homers are insane.

[mod] Most announcers are at least fine.
I always thought it was funny how a board full of homers could hate a guy so much for being a homer.

Last edited by a moderator:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its not even his negativity..i appreciate honesty...its his overall preparation. He gets names wrong...gets side tracked almost and talks about irrelevant things.
Debrusk is all we have thats quality. The rest from top to bottom are bad. Radio guys, TV guys...all of them. Love me some Debrusk.

Reactions: THall4

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I could see how as a Canuck maybe you would think Garrett is ok but his homerism has to be top 5 in the league.

If you listen to him there hasn't been a legit penalty call against the Canucks in his entire time covering the team.

I guess homerism is ok when it is just a home team broadcast (although I personally hate it even if it is my team) but often on Sportsnet we only get the home teams broadcast crew and Garrett still treats it as though he was talking to the Canucks super fans as his audience.

Yeah, John Garrett is one of the worst. His homerism is ridiculous. The way he says tic-tac-toe is also really annoying.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Steigerwald was the worst. Mears is pretty mediocre, but I'll gladly take him over his clown of a predecessor.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, John Garrett is one of the worst. His homerism is ridiculous. The way he says tic-tac-toe is also really annoying.
Garrett is actually much better now than in the 80s/90s (before that he was a bad goalie).

Back then, he was famous for the eternal "No chance for (insert goalie)" on every score. Like, Esa Tikkanen would shoot from outside the blue-line with no screen and it would dribble through Kirk McLean's legs, and Garrett would say: "No chance for McLean!" He did this not only for Canucks' goalies, but any team's.

It got to be a bit of a joke, and at some point, he just stopped doing it.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
I'm a fan of homers, they make every play seem like it's taking place in game 7 of the cup finals. Joe Bowen's been my guy forever as a Leafs fan but I find Dave Mishkin ridiculously entertaining to listen too. Every goal is like a playoff overtime winner to him, I love it.

Homers do a disservice to the game of hockey. They're disrespectful. Announcers should embrace and promote great freaking hockey, no matter what team is doing it. Yeah it sucks when your team gets beat by just a better team or a better play, but great play is supposed to be why everyone got into the game to begin with.

Extreme homer-ism also shows a lack of knowledge. Clowns like Mishkin can't see the forest for the trees. He ends up pissing off less knowledgeable fans when a great play has been made by an opponent. Instead, they should say, "wow, nicely done". Tip your cap and act like an adult.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I really miss Hnidy. He became a terrific analyst.

He’s a likeable guy, and he did get a little bit better, but his analysis was pretty superficial. Mostly he just did a play by play on the replay. His deepest strategic thought was that the team “needs to find a way” to do whatever it wasn’t doing. Also if you’re going to be on TV, try not to start sentences “Him and so-and-so were...” multiple times per game.

What the Jets need is someone to administer a small electric shock to Dennis every time he mentions a number. I’ve never known anyone who is so smitten with numbers.[/QUOTE]

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
You guys haven't heard butchered names until you listen to Rob Ray doing color during a Sabres game lol

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
As a Leafs fan i like our radio guy Joe Bowen for his excitement, and for televised games my favorite is Jack Edwards from Boston. He's a total homer, but he's gotten better over the years and you can tell he actually follows the sport outside of the Bruins. The CBC and Sportsnet guys are unbearably bad.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Cuthbert and Miller are both great. I still love Bob Cole because he is able to put emotion into his calls. My problem with most PbP guys is the just tend to sound formulaic and like they honestly don't care. Zero excitement or personality in 90% of the people in the business today.

Silver Tuna

Easy on the Pepsi!!
Jun 4, 2011
Georgetown, ON
I really liked Bowen. why is he on the radio now?

Way more than anyone from TSN or AN

As a Leafs fan i like our radio guy Joe Bowen for his excitement, and for televised games my favorite is Jack Edwards from Boston. He's a total homer, but he's gotten better over the years and you can tell he actually follows the sport outside of the Bruins. The TSN and Sportsnet guys are unbearably bad.

Reactions: Critical

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Cuthbert and Miller. The Montreal radio guy, Dan Roberts is pretty good too. Cole has the classic voice, and he provides the atmosphere but has a harder time keeping up with the games.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Doc Emrick, Gary Thorne, Rick Jeaneret, Bob Cole. In that order. The guys they have nowadays just don't cut it for me. Zero emotion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad