Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
TSN>Sportsnet/CBC and its not even close

When your best commentator is still Bob Cole you’re in trouble.

Cuthbert is the best by far and Miller isnt too shabby. Hughson is annoying and mediocre at best. Millen and Romanuck shouldnt even have a job anymore

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
All time personal fave? .... Ted Darling (RJ was always my favorite radio PBP) Emrick, Hughson, and Cole would by my picks outside of Buffalo.

Nice to hear Ted again. He and his wife were friends of my mother’s from when they were university students in Canada. It was so sad that he died so prematurely from that horrible dementia.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I don't have time or energy to read through here... but for my money, the best play-by-play commentator is Mike Lange of the Pittsburgh Penguins. He used to be on TV, but was relegated to radio a while back for a couple of reasons.

Subbaman

Character win.
Aug 22, 2012
Montréal, QC
There are very few who are truly a treat to listen to imo.

Good

John Forslund
Dave Strader (RIP)
Pierre Houde

Bad

Nashville's announcer
Philadelphia's announcer
Bob Cole
Chris Cuthbert
Gord Miller

Worst

Jack Edwards
Panthers' announcer
Lightning's announcer
Mike Haynes

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the guys that do the Oilers games on Sportsnet.

Worst: Jim Hughson, Jack Edwards and Paul Romanuk.
Jim Hughson? seriously? please forgive him for not being a Leafs fans like previous guys that did the Leafs games. Hughson started his career in Vancouver in the 70's.

Reactions: Matt Angel

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Jim Hughson? seriously? please forgive him for not being a Leafs fans like previous guys that did the Leafs games. Hughson started his career in Vancouver in the 70's.
I'm sorry but since he is the lead announcer for Rogers in a national broadcast he should not be allowed to say "There is nothing better on a Saturday night than defeating the Maple Leafs" which he said when they lost to Vancouver.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm sorry but since he is the lead announcer for Rogers in a national broadcast he should not be allowed to say "There is nothing better on a Saturday night than defeating the Maple Leafs" which he said when they lost to Vancouver.

Hey now, when it comes to national broadcasts I don't think any team has had their ego stroked more than Toronto.

Hell, that Vancouver game you're referring to probably started at 4pm in BC. Y'know, for the benefit of us locals here in Toronto who want our prime time hockey. :laugh:

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hey now, when it comes to national broadcasts I don't think any team has had their ego stroked more than Toronto.

Hell, that Vancouver game you're referring to probably started at 4pm in BC. Y'know, for the benefit of us locals here in Toronto who want our prime time hockey. :laugh:
You do know the decision to start the game at 4:00 PM PST was made by Rogers and the Leafs have no input on that.

Toronto having their ego stroked. Ever since Hughson became the lead announcer him and Chris Simpson have taken made negative comments whenever they could at the Leafs.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You do know the decision to start the game at 4:00 PM PST was made by Rogers and the Leafs have no input on that.

Toronto having their ego stroked. Ever since Hughson became the lead announcer him and Chris Simpson have taken made negative comments whenever they could at the Leafs.

I didn't say the Leafs made the call on the start time; that's my point, it's the Canadian media doing Torontonians a solid, as per usual. :laugh:

And hey, for every backhanded compliment aimed the Leafs' way, there's always going to be Don Cherry and his mighty soapbox, complete with Maple Leafs tie and obnoxiously blue suit. I'd say that evens it out. ;)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't say the Leafs made the call on the start time; that's my point, it's the Canadian media doing Torontonians a solid, as per usual. :laugh:

And hey, for every backhanded compliment aimed the Leafs' way, there's always going to be Don Cherry and his mighty soapbox, complete with Maple Leafs tie and obnoxiously blue suit. I'd say that evens it out. ;)
Seriously though how many people take Don Cherry seriously anymore? From what I have read even Leafs fans know not to take him seriously.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
jack is the best in the business in every conceivable regard
mjl.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad