Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Just watching a Devils broadcast today; it's pretty bad. Bryce Salvador and his female partner are notably inept in their intermission game breakdowns. Actually all three of the New York area teams have terrible broadcast teams with the all female crew the Islanders currently employ representing the very worst of the worst. Islanders games are actually unwatchable unless you mute the sound. As for the Rangers, their play by play guy has a voice like nails across a chalk board. What a wasteland.
The Devils PBP
is basically Squeak Scolari from Baseketball.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Whoever the boring Canadian announcer is who says “Skoe-er” is lifeless. I don’t know who it is.

Flames guys are great.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
My favorite broadcast team is probably the Gord Miller/Ray Ferraro tandem but I don't see much of them anymore since their network lost the rights to NHL games nationally in Canada.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Rick Ball is ascending at Sportsnet. He called the first two rounds of the playoffs last year (even though the Flames weren’t in the dance), before giving way to Hughes and Romanuk.

I think he is second only to Hughes now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I really like Dave Randorf personally, the best HNIC PBP quite easily and I suggest he's better than even Gord Miller. Doesn't beat Cuthbert though if you were to compare Sportsnet and TSN.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I got shit on not too long ago for saying that I put Mickey Redmond on mute frequently.

Ken Daniels is pretty good, especially when you consider he has to put up with that.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
For the flames

TV - Rick Ball is awesome
Radio - Derek Wills is terrible (Peter Maher was the best ever,cheap assed sportsnet forced him to retire)

Herbert Lewis

FL to AK Bolts fan
Mar 16, 2018
I don't know his name but the Stars play by play guy is my favourite
He used to be our ply by play man and communications director for our now defunct, Alaska Aces of the ECHL. His name is Josh Boogarod , (sp) . He was great here, and we were at a playoffs watch party for the Aces at a local restaurant, and I told his parents that he was NHL material. I am so glad to see he made it to the show. He is a GREAT guy to meet in person as well.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I really like Dave Randorf personally, the best HNIC PBP quite easily and I suggest he's better than even Gord Miller. Doesn't beat Cuthbert though if you were to compare Sportsnet and TSN.
Yeah Randorf is pretty good. Funny how so many of these people (Hughson, Shorthouse, Ball, Randorf) are Vancouver guys.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Just watching a Devils broadcast today; it's pretty bad. Bryce Salvador and his female partner are notably inept in their intermission game breakdowns. Actually all three of the New York area teams have terrible broadcast teams with the all female crew the Islanders currently employ representing the very worst of the worst. Islanders games are actually unwatchable unless you mute the sound. As for the Rangers, their play by play guy has a voice like nails across a chalk board. What a wasteland.
I'm actually amazed you didn't finish your screed by saying AJ and Jen (who are both clearly unqualified to discuss hockey despite being gold medalists because they are women) should be making sandwiches for their male counterparts. Ugh.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'm actually amazed you didn't finish your screed by saying AJ and Jen (who are both clearly unqualified to discuss hockey despite being gold medalists because they are women) should be making sandwiches for their male counterparts. Ugh.
Thanks for catching my omission fren, with any luck some qualified women broadcasters are coming the Sabres way soon eh.

My apologies for the oversight. I'll but you're fun at parties;)

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Best

National: Dave Randorf
Regional: Rick Peckham

I also like the Sharks announcers, but I have noticed Randy Hahn is starting to make more mistakes than usual. In terms of other announcers I like:

Doc Emrick
Joe Beninati
Rick Ball (And Kelly Hrudey)
The Dallas Stars announce team on TV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad