Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Greg Millen is awful. I used to like Romanuk, but man, he kinda blows.

Cuthbert is the best PBP guy in my opinion. Love Ferraro and I think Jamie McLennan is pretty good too. Lucky that TSN does most Ottawa games.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Best: Dave Goucher (miss him on 98.5 calling Bruins games, huge mistake letting him go to Vegas - wish NESN had replaced Jack Edwards with him)

Worst: Paul Steigerwald

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I’m a big Randy Hahn fan, and I like Chris Cuthbert too.

Randy and Drew were GREAT for years. Jamie Baker and Bret Hedican aren't as good, and Hahn isn't as good as he used to be either.

Razor in Dallas was probably the best color guy and now he's a great PBP guy. Kinda not fair.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I still haven’t heard anything... I was never big on him as a color guy but I do actually miss him now that he’s been gone a while

Have to hope it's not some sort of serious health issue.

Then again, did we ever really find out what happened when McSorely disappeared from the broadcasts DURING the playoffs, did we?

Cogsfordogs7

May 20, 2017
Ducks announcers the Owl and the Turtle are great if you have a thesaurus on hand when you watch the game. It's great if you like it when your " netminder hoists the puck out of harm's way after it caromed off the post because he's living right." And if you like hearing 2 guys complain about officiating every night.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Cuthbert is the best.

Worst: Edwards (most biased ever), Pittsburgh team (also biased), Oilers Guy is like listening to paint dry, Romanuk is terrible go back to the Spengler please. Sportsnet in general is garbage.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
Worst are by far the la kings crew. They make king games unwatchable. jim fox is the biggest homer in the league. Also the way he ends his sentences is irritating as all hell.

Reactions: Matt Angel

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
As a Devils fan, the Devils guys are pretty good imho. But the best by far are the Washington-guys and I also like Philly's crew a lot. The new guy in Pittsburgh is better than Steigerwald (who isn't?), but I find him rather bland and boring.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Randy and Drew were GREAT for years. Jamie Baker and Bret Hedican aren't as good, and Hahn isn't as good as he used to be either.

Razor in Dallas was probably the best color guy and now he's a great PBP guy. Kinda not fair.

Drew was trash in SJ, he is trash in Edmonton, I do like Hahn however.

My favorites are the Kings guys and Jim Hughison.

Matt Angel

Apr 1, 2018
What do people think about Alex Faust? The new Play by Play guy for the Kings.

Jack Edwards is atrocious. His interpretation is so off that you'd think his voice over lapped the wrong feed.

The caps guy has such an annoying voice. God.

Hayward is hilariously bad.

As a Kings fan, I can't stand Jim Fox now. He never seemed to be bad, actually good. But he seems like he's taking shots between commercial breaks and starts to ramble.
What do people think about Alex Faust? The new Play by Play guy for the Kings.

Jack Edwards is atrocious. His interpretation is so off that you'd think his voice over lapped the wrong feed.

The caps guy has such an annoying voice. God.

Hayward is hilariously bad.

As a Kings fan, I can't stand Jim Fox now. He never seemed to be bad, actually good. But he seems like he's taking shots between commercial breaks and starts to ramble.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Whoever does tsn1050. biggest homer dude and the other guy who just mumbles.

Matt Angel

Apr 1, 2018
Ok so I'm a Ducks fan But my All Time favorite Hockey Broadcaster for a team has always been Bob Miller and Broadcasting is such a huge part of any sport for me. Alex Faust for me though has been bad even when he does NBC games for other teams. He literally has no personality, Very Generic and When he gets excited it just makes me cringe. It's actually a La problem it seems with broadcasting because My Dodgers got Joe Davis to replace the Legendary Vin Scilly and I have the exact same problems with him. I really Wish Nick Nickson would do tv because he's absolutely Phenominal and other than Joe Bowen with the leafs Nick is the best radio Play by Play in the league in my opinion.

Matt Angel

Apr 1, 2018
Ducks announcers the Owl and the Turtle are great if you have a thesaurus on hand when you watch the game. It's great if you like it when your " netminder hoists the puck out of harm's way after it caromed off the post because he's living right." And if you like hearing 2 guys complain about officiating every night.
Hayward is Definetly a homer and Complains but Ahlers not at all he will say " no Call" and " Refs Swallow the Whistle" which you hear all around the league and he does it for both teams playing not just the Ducks.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Just watching a Devils broadcast today; it's pretty bad. Bryce Salvador and his female partner are notably inept in their intermission game breakdowns. Actually all three of the New York area teams have terrible broadcast teams with the all female crew the Islanders currently employ representing the very worst of the worst. Islanders games are actually unwatchable unless you mute the sound. As for the Rangers, their play by play guy has a voice like nails across a chalk board. What a wasteland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad