Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Best

National: Dave Randorf
Regional: Rick Peckham

I also like the Sharks announcers, but I have noticed Randy Hahn is starting to make more mistakes than usual. In terms of other announcers I like:

Doc Emrick
Joe Beninati
Rick Ball (And Kelly Hrudey)
The Dallas Stars announce team on TV
Randy Hahn also got his start here in Vancouver as a post game radio reporter.

I forgot about him; he's not bad at all.

Herbert Lewis

FL to AK Bolts fan
Mar 16, 2018
I have no problem with any of them and could say I like them all but Jackleg Edwards, Andy Brickhead of the Bruins. Joe Benihana, Craig Whineylittlebiatch, of the Caps, and Doc Emerick.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I found out it’s Hughson. His voice is just boring.
He's getting worse with age I find. He started out here in Vancouver as a protege of the local legend Jim Robson but since he went to the CBC he sounds like he swallowed a thesaurus and spits it all out in the sort of received pronunciation they speak at the CBC. Stuffy, stodgy f***er...

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Tonight was Leah Hextal calling the Ducks Wild game.
By far the single worst PbP job I have ever heard. It was muted within seconds but I had to unmute every once in awhile because I thought just maybe they had a promo or some thug gong on where they had a contest where they let a random person from the crowd call the game for a couple minutes or something like that, and that the normal announcer would be back ….. nope.
She was actually hired and the official PbP person.
The worst goal calls I have ever heard in my life.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
By far the single worst PbP job I have ever heard. It was muted within seconds but I had to unmute every once in awhile because I thought just maybe they had a promo or some thug gong on where they had a contest where they let a random person from the crowd call the game for a couple minutes or something like that, and that the normal announcer would be back ….. nope.

I couldnt believe what I was listening to. I muted the tv and played the radio play by play on my phone. It was about a 7 second delay but it was better than the garbage espn had on. I hope to god I never have to hear her call another game again.

Reactions: guidmaker

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That's what happens when we give these token spots to women simply because they're women, regardless of whether they actually are the most qualified person for the job.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

WOW, that was horrible. I just listened to random bits after reading your comments, and that is bad by anyones standards. At least half the time she isn't even calling the game, but doing colour commentary work, talking about contracts and other stuff, with a bit of PBP thrown in. I get they want more women involved in jobs like this, which I am fine with, but they need to actually be good at it, and she is horrible.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Gary Thorne and Bill Clement.

I also like the Avs play by play guy, Kenny Albert, Jack Edwards(in small doses).

Absolutely loathe Steigerwald and whoever his colorman was (Bob Errey?). Hate Ferraro too.

Didn’t like Bissonette on the TNT panel, all his jokes came with forced laughter which made everything awkward.

Charea Barkley was awesome.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Edwards is worst.

I like the Caps crew.

Can't stand the Caps colour guy. He is over the moon biased and everything and anything done by a Caps player is the greatest thing ever. Homer announcers can have bias, but don't blow smoke all night.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
WOW, that was horrible. I just listened to random bits after reading your comments, and that is bad by anyones standards. At least half the time she isn't even calling the game, but doing colour commentary work, talking about contracts and other stuff, with a bit of PBP thrown in. I get they want more women involved in jobs like this, which I am fine with, but they need to actually be good at it, and she is horrible.

1000%. I believe at one point she said Fiala was the 2nd leading scorer on Anaheim last year, called them the Anaheim Wild, among other gaffes.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Rick Jeanneret only has 19 more calls left before he retires. 51 years. Love him or hate him he is one of a kind.

Not likely his fault, but his voice is too grating, so I have never been able to stand his commentary. It is the same with Denis Potvin, although he is also brutal at CC.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Cangialosi and Daneyko is one of the best duos in the sport.

Boston definitely has the worst, but Pittsburgh is still up there because Errey was just as bad as Steigy.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I like the Dallas crew, fun vocab. St. Louis is alright but Darren Pang is an idiot.

There are more that I can't stand though: Ducks (SO whiny), Wild (every goal is an OT game winner), Kings (enormous homers), My own team (Avs) are also one of the worst.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Who's that dingus that calls the Avalanche games on TV? Man that guy is horrible! He sounds like he's reading the morning newspaper to himself whenever an opposing player scores a goal. Worst announcer in the league in my view.

Jack Edwards on the other hand imo would actually be a great announcer if he wasn't so ridiculously biased. His calls are usually really exciting. The issue is he has a meltdown every time something remotely aggressive happens to a Bruin yet complains when a Bruin does the exact same thing and get a penalty. For the record, I actually like the Bruins ok... just not Edwards. LOL

Reactions: timorous me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad