Rumor: Benning has green light to make a trade and is working the phones. Trying to fix "chemistry"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Don't like Benning, wouldn't want him as our GM (and we have Bergevin lol)

But his 1st round picks - Podkolzin, Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat - Juolevi, Virtanen.

Virtanen -> could have taken Fleury or Honka - neither are great.

Juolevi -> In hindsight, Sergachev is the better pick, but Juolevi at the time was a top prospect, and the only other pick that would have really helped them is Tkachuk.

5 hits, 2 misses - not bad at all.
Hughes fell into his lap when Detroit passed him. Same with Podkolzin at ten with teams passing him. Horvat was a Gillis pick. Virtanen pick was brutal lots players were better. As per Juolevi injuries didn't let us see what he really could have been. These were all top ten picks he should be hitting them. He's done not much after them besides Boeser, Demko and Hoglander. He's had 8 years that's not a good track record. As per defenseman he's literally produced nothing besides the gimme Hughes.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
To be fair and unbiased, if looking at it from a neutral pov, Benning is bad at alot of things but he is actually decent at trading. Hes had his misses like all GMs but he has done well on msot trades as well.

Free agent signings, he has to be the worst in the league.

Drafting and Trades, id say better than average.

He is terrible at making trades. He has made 43 NHL trades as per NHL Trade tracker and he has out right won 4 of them. I am giving Benning the Arizona trade even with OEL's horrible contract. Taffoli even though he let him walk and the Pearson trade even though he made one of his worst trades to acquire Gudbranson. He has a less then 10% winning percentage when making trades. He is definitely not better than average when making a trade.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
He is terrible at making trades. He has made 43 NHL trades as per NHL Trade tracker and he has out right won 4 of them. I am giving Benning the Arizona trade even with OEL's horrible contract. Taffoli even though he let him walk and the Pearson trade even though he made one of his worst trades to acquire Gudbranson. He has a less then 10% winning percentage when making trades. He is definitely not better than average when making a trade.

Yep, this is the truth.
All you need to do is reverse a few of his trades and the Canucks are a playoff team. Forsling, McCann, and DeBrincat (Canucks scouts were high on him and traded the 33rd overall pick for Gudbranson). Kassian and Dahlen would be gravy. Not letting Tanev and Toffoli walk because the team preferred Sutter, Virtanen, and Schmidt was also a big fail.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Garland trade
Miller Trade
Granlund Trade
Gubranson for Pearson Trade
Leivo trade
Vanek Trade
Dahlen trade from Ottawa
Bieska trade

Thats more then 4

So much disinformation in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
May God help us.

This is just pure comedy for the rest of the league at this point. 8 years and counting for assembling a poor team....and this was after he traded away first round draft picks etc.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Garland trade
Miller Trade
Granlund Trade
Gubranson for Pearson Trade
Leivo trade
Vanek Trade
Dahlen trade from Ottawa
Bieska trade

Thats more then 4

So much disinformation in this thread its like watching a trump rally
He let walk Granlund,Leivo, Dahlen for nothing. Whatever he gained he flushed down the toilet.

His best trades were Miller and Vanek.
Vanek trade one of the few smart trades he made.
AFter the Dahlen trade the Senators went with Burrows to the conference finals while Dhalen was thrown away after 1 year.
The second round pick (2016) for Bieksa amounted to nothing. I'd say the 2016 draft is one of the worst in NHL hostory. We finished bottom 3 and we have no NHL players from that year. How the hell does something happen to a master drafter like Jim Benning?

Last edited:
Reactions: JTmillerForA1stLOL

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Hughes fell into his lap when Detroit passed him. Same with Podkolzin at ten with teams passing him.
You could describe literally any draft pick this way, successful or otherwise. Any general manager's performance is relative, and other general managers with higher picks all chose to draft other players. All picks other than 1st overall "fall" exactly the same way.

Jim Benning is objectively one of the worst executives in hockey and has been discredited in nearly every aspect of his job performance. It's okay to rationally determine he occasionally did a few things properly, or wasn't terrible at every part of his job.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Hour 1: Frank Seravalli reacts to Canucks' poor start (sportsnet.ca)

" do not think that a trade is not on the table, I was shocked to hear that today, does that mean Benning is safe?"
-Shah on the Peoples Show on Sportsnet 6

In all honesty if there was a "cancer in the locker room " id say the most viable candidate is JT Miller. The young guys might not be reacting well to his "passionate" demeanor.

The only cancer on our club is the owner FA and the current Manager Dim.

Reactions: likash

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
You could describe literally any draft pick this way, successful or otherwise. Any general manager's performance is relative, and other general managers with higher picks all chose to draft other players. All picks other than 1st overall "fall" exactly the same way.

Jim Benning is objectively one of the worst executives in hockey and has been discredited in nearly every aspect of his job performance. It's okay to rationally determine he occasionally did a few things properly, or wasn't terrible at every part of his job.
Sorry but he's hit what Boeser, Demko and Hoglander outside the top ten in 8 years that's not good that's horrible. Petterson apparently he didn't even want to draft but I guess he did. He sucks that's my opinion your entitled to yours.

Reactions: likash

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Sorry but he's hit what Boeser, Demko and Hoglander outside the top ten in 8 years that's not good that's horrible. Petterson apparently he didn't even want to draft but I guess he did. He sucks that's my opinion your entitled to yours.
Leaving aside that I didn't claim he was a great drafting GM and that none of what you've written here has anything to do with what I said, it also makes no sense to include all 8 drafts in any analysis of his later round drafting since the great majority of those picks don't reach the league until their early twenties. Like, we're clearly at a point where it's possible to conclude Jim Benning is a terrible general manager without resorting to this shit. But the last 8 years have driven so many HF Canucks fans crazy it's like you can't help it anymore and don't notice you're doing it.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Leaving aside that I didn't claim he was a great drafting GM and that none of what you've written here has anything to do with what I said, it also makes no sense to include all 8 drafts in any analysis of his later round drafting. Like, we're clearly at a point where it's possible to conclude Jim Benning is a terrible general manager without resorting to this shit. But the last 8 years have driven so many HF Canucks fans crazy it's like you can't help it anymore and don't notice you're doing it.
Bro are you a Jim fan or what? If you are a fan of a rival team, i understand why you like Jim. I'd wish a GM like Benning on your team.
We finished bottom 3 in 2016 and we have nothing to show for. Dim picked Juolevi instead of Chucky. Juolevi never looked good. He was a bad pick from the start. The injuries are just excuses. It was the a simple pick and he missed it. The 2016 year alone should have gotten him fired. He is the worst GM since Mad Mike. A new GM would need a few years to clean up his mess.
All the shills are turning on the players. Benning has destroyed the team , letting valuable character guys leave to bring in his own garbage. Even Edler who would never leave said f__k it and left for LA. The cancer is in the front office.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killer Orcas

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Based on pretty much nothing, I could conceivably see the cancer being Pettersson. He's a young, smug bastard. That's not a bad thing when you're playing really well, you could even argue that it adds to his intensity. But when things are not going your way, which is the case for him for awhile now - this kind of attitude can potentially fester and rot into something ugly.

If things don't turn around for Pettersson this year and the media and fans start turning on him, I could see him going down as one of the most disappointing players in canucks history. I think it's unlikely that happens, but who knows. With our luck, management and inability to put it all together I think it's within the realm of possibility.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Both Benning and Weisbrog wanted Cody Glass while Judd Brackett kept insisting they pick Petterrsson. It was Linden who ultimately made the final decision to draft Pettersson.

There's no denying Benning had some success through his tenure but the bad outweighs the good by a country mile. Even if we give him credit for Boeser, Demko and Hoglander. He whiffed on Tkachuk and Nylander, both of which were consensus favourite picks. Meanwhile, who he selected (Juolevi and Virtanen) were questionable at best. It's just baffling how much faith ownership has in this buffoon when he's accomplished literally nothing at nearly every turn.

Hell, Benning talks about a cancer in the locker room. Bit ironic when he couldn't be bothered to call a ten year Canucks veteran to let him know they weren't going to resign him. Instead, he waited around for four days until Benning got desperate then remembered we actually had an affordable defensive defensemen who wanted to stay. Can't imagine why crap like this might cause riffs in the locker room.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Bro are you a Jim fan or what? If you are a fan of a rival team, i understand why you like Jim. I'd wish a GM like Benning on your team.
We finished bottom 3 in 2016 and we have nothing to show for. Dim picked Juolevi instead of Chucky. It was the a simple pick and he missed it. The 2016 year alone should have gotten him fired. He is the worst GM since Mad Mike. A new GM would need a few years to clean up his mess.
I want Benning fired as much as anyone and none of this has anything to do with what I said. I'm not attacking or even questioning anyone's opinion. I'm just asking them to to construct arguments for them that aren't circular and lazy because it's f***ing tiresome after several years of them. Justified dislike of Benning spilled over at some point about halfway through his tenure into weird ruminations about everything he's ever done that just keep repeating over and over again, and anyone who points out that a lot of it doesn't really make sense gets accused of liking him. I hope it stops at some point after he's fired.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I said this in another thread but I think at least some of the problem is that there is a player who is probably considered part of the young core that didnt put in the work in the offseason and doesnt handle losing/not succeeding personally very well. If it was someone who the organization wasnt that valuable we probably would have heard something about it by now but, the fact that the dressing room is air tight as far as leaks goes makes me think that its someone that is thought of highly throughout the league.

baseless speculation is fun! :skeptic:

so many assumptions and leaps here

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
For the other fans, the reason most people think it's Miller is because he's been seen visibly arguing with other players like Boeser during games before.

Is it because of this? Or something else that happened. It's hard to tell if it was only 1-way reciprocated jokes with Boeser's reaction tbh.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

nice follow thru.

jim is awful at trades, definitively

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Benning hired Green. Benning is the root of this team's issues; Aquilini just exacerbates it.

Aquilini hired Benning and can fire him and has had reason to just about every time he does something. Aquilini is the root. Green might be a symptom, but he's got to go as well.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
No it was absolutely keeping Benning, Green shouldn't be expected to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.
Weren’t Canucks fans lauding all the moves this summer and bragging that the Canucks would be the most improved team in the league this year?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Trading miller who has been our best player this year by a mile, Would be incredibly dumb.
Get rid of Boeser before miller

Reactions: David71

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
R.c1fa04284715c0da2af80fdbbde88f29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad