Rumor: Benning has green light to make a trade and is working the phones. Trying to fix "chemistry"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is another rumor that smacks of a reporter following a player agent's crumbs. Because who is in a position to know that Benning is making trades AND has identified a locker room cancer? You can almost certainly count the number of people on one hand and none of them are going to leak that info. Follow who this kind of rumor benefits. It potentially sets up the team to have difficulty moving supposed locker room cancers, right? So a player who has been asked to waive their no-trade clause or perhaps a player who has a chance of being considered a cancer, but doesn't want to move. Or mayyybe a good player who wants out (maybe even asked for a trade) and is hoping to stir up trade interest.

Either way, it's obviously questionable that this rumor is coming from a reliable source. Not saying it won't lead to anything, but the shape of the rumor is not straightforward.

That's what you would think but this is the Jim Benning Canucks. They leak like a sieve, trashing players being moved out is perfectly normal, as is the team devaluing it's players before trading them. If a rumour came from Canucks media that there's a "cancer" in the locker room, it's because Benning's management is looking to trade a popular/valuable player and pre-empting the public response.

Reactions: barbu

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
That's what you would think but this is the Jim Benning Canucks. They leak like a sieve, trashing players being moved out is perfectly normal, as is the team devaluing it's players before trading them. If a rumour came from Canucks media that there's a "cancer" in the locker room, it's because Benning's management is looking to trade a popular/valuable player and pre-empting the public response.

Are there good examples establishing this pattern? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just unfamiliar with Canucks management trials and tribulations, so I'm curious.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Are there good examples establishing this pattern? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just unfamiliar with Canucks management trials and tribulations, so I'm curious.

IM a Canucks fan and that is completely made up, by a Leafs fan nontheless

lawrence

May 19, 2012
From all Canuck communities and all the information that’s been posted, it seems like benning and Francesco are too close of friends for benning to even be fired right now. That might be a problem. That’s something closer to the truth than one of our younger guys being a cancer in the room. That’s news to me actually.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Benning will not get fired because he is FA's Yes-man. Smartly, Benning builds up every move as an FA idea. So therefore FA looks at the team and thinks there is nothing wrong with the moves being made but is probably something wrong in the locker room.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Don't forget we save the 1.2M we have been paying on the Kessel retention
yup that as well. Didn't mention that only because that largely cover the raise from the Mo deal. Not all of it, but some.

I think the conversation has changed. Campbell is our starter and we have a really expensive backup we need to move this summer.
I disagree. I love soup as much as anyone. I can't imagine the team without him for sure, and realistically I definitely could see a world where he is our true #1 beyond this year. But the truth of the matter is, when Petr comes back, it will be a 60:40 or 55:45 split. Campbell will get the majority of the games, but Petr will be used as originally intended. Jack is playing absolutely stellar, and its been that way for almost 365 days now. I personally don't expect to see a major regression, but he won't be posting a .944 all year.

People are massively sleeping on Mrazek. He looked great in the preseason and has a lengthy career as a 1A/B guy. He's going to steal a handful of starts, and it will likely dampen the contract demands to a certain degree. He wants to be a Leaf, he's made that abundantly clear. We want him to be a Leaf. Something will get done

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder if Elias Pettersson is available and what would it take to get him?

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
wont fire green because he just re-signed and ownership is cheap (Bourdeau, Julien, etc would cost a LOT)

there is something going on however that is more than just the roster construction. Even though the blueline is a weakness, especially on the right side, the team is a complete mess defensively -- blown assignments, huge gaps, terrible passes and giveaways, weak on the boards. Pretty much looks like an AHL blueline out there most nights (even when not playing Hunt, Burroughs and Bowey). But they have looked like crap since Tanev left, which makes me think it is something with Green. Brad Shaw has made zero difference as far as I can tell, but who knows maybe he'd make a diff as the head coach.? Another week of this and the season is a virtually write-off, I dont know how long they can wait.

Which is to say while a trade is needed -- specifically Miller for a young RHD and a 1st (Schneider or so), but that wont help that much immediately

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After watching a news story it sounds like Benning is just looking to nibble around the edges of the team and try to get a few depth players.. particularly on defense.
Benning probably doesn't have the guts to do anything major.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I wonder if Elias Pettersson is available and what would it take to get him?

Canucks would be foolish to trade him now when his stock is down and as he looks like he is playing injured or without confidence.

It literally looks like The Monstars from Space Jam took away his abilities.

This would be the worst time to trade a franchise asset, when his stock is low.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The title of this thread is about as horrifying as it gets for Canucks fans.

How can this consistently proven totally incompetent man still be allowed to make any trades or personel decisions?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I hope he's calling Treliving. I'm sure the Flames would be interested in Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad