Rumor: Benning has green light to make a trade and is working the phones. Trying to fix "chemistry"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Not trying to say Kerfoot is better than Miller, because he is not. But the Leafs coaching staff and management are very very high on Kerfoot. He is our swiss army knife. They specifically acquired McCann to protect Kerfoot in expansion. That is how much they love the player. There is video evidence of the Leafs War room talking about this very strategy when they were offered McCann for Hallender last year. See video below (3:12 mark)

Kerfoot is not going anywhere, I am fairly confident of that

Reactions: Guttersniped

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think Florida, Carolina, Minnesota woud make the most sense for Someone like Miller. He fits in their competitive window and all 3 of those teams have young NHL assets or more advanced prospects that fit our needs

For someone like Boeser/Petey I think teams like NJD, NYR, NYI (ironically all 3 NY teams) would be interested in those two. They fit more into the age group of the core of those teams while still have quite a few years until there are UFAs. Those teams also have assets that would be appealing to the Canucks
Would like your take on what from Jersey gets Petey done? We have a lot of C depth but cmon close to a pt per game.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
What would you add to Tyler Myers to get Buffalo to take his contract? Ol' Tyler might want to relive his Calder Trophy memories . . . .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not trying to say Kerfoot is better than Miller, because he is not. But the Leafs coaching staff and management are very very high on Kerfoot. He is our swiss army knife. They specifically acquired McCann to protect Kerfoot in expansion. That is how much they love the player. There is video evidence of the Leafs War room talking about this very strategy when they were offered McCann for Hallender last year. See video below (3:12 mark)

I'm kinda curious then how the Leafs intend to keep all these players. Campbell is going to get 5-6 mill per on the open market after this year.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

I think we're overthinking this a bit. The math on that trade is Kerfoot vs. Hallander and a 7th, which is a no brainer. It really just means they like him enough that they don't want to lose him for free.

That said, he has been excellent so far this season.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I'm kinda curious then how the Leafs intend to keep all these players. Campbell is going to get 5-6 mill per on the open market after this year.
Jack will likely come in around 4.5-5AAV as he will not be the de facto starter when Petr comes back. But yes, there is a off chance he could get more should Petr not play well, or another injury forces Jack to be the starter the entire year. In that case he will likely get 5-5.5AAV next year.

The leafs can then move Holl, Ritchie and either one of Kerfoot/Mrazek (8-8.3AAV total) to have the available funds to resign Kase, Sandin, Liljegren, and give Campbell a raise. Micheyev (1.65AAV) will likely not resign as he wants a bigger role, and Engvall's 1.25AAV comes off the books as well and will likely get filled by a combo of cheaper ELC contracts in Robertson, Holmberg, Amirov, and Steeves.

Moving Kerfoot is definitely a possibility in the future, just don't see it happening in season.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
What would Garland cost, that is if he is even someone the Canucks would be willing to trade
Just paid a 9th overall for him and signed him to a 5 year contract through his prime for under $5AAV. The ask would have to be equal to the 9th overall + for the contract extension.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I cannot believe that Benning still has the confidence of ownership to make a significant trade right now...

This is another rumor that smacks of a reporter following a player agent's crumbs. Because who is in a position to know that Benning is making trades AND has identified a locker room cancer? You can almost certainly count the number of people on one hand and none of them are going to leak that info. Follow who this kind of rumor benefits. It potentially sets up the team to have difficulty moving supposed locker room cancers, right? So a player who has been asked to waive their no-trade clause or perhaps a player who has a chance of being considered a cancer, but doesn't want to move. Or mayyybe a good player who wants out (maybe even asked for a trade) and is hoping to stir up trade interest.

Either way, it's obviously questionable that this rumor is coming from a reliable source. Not saying it won't lead to anything, but the shape of the rumor is not straightforward.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Jack will likely come in around 4.5-5AAV as he will not be the de facto starter when Petr comes back. But yes, there is a off chance he could get more should Petr not play well, or another injury forces Jack to be the starter the entire year. In that case he will likely get 5-5.5AAV next year.

The leafs can then move Holl, Ritchie and either one of Kerfoot/Mrazek (8-8.3AAV total) to have the available funds to resign Kase, Sandin, Liljegren, and give Campbell a raise. Micheyev (1.65AAV) will likely not resign as he wants a bigger role, and Engvall's 1.25AAV comes off the books as well and will likely get filled by a combo of cheaper ELC contracts in Robertson, Holmberg, Amirov, and Steeves.

Moving Kerfoot is definitely a possibility in the future, just don't see it happening in season.
I think the conversation has changed. Campbell is our starter and we have a really expensive backup we need to move this summer.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Don't forget we save the 1.2M we have been paying on the Kessel retention

Reactions: Twine Tickler

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
They've got to get Benning out of there now. He's only going to dig a deeper hole like his pal Chiarelli did in both Boston and Edmonton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad