Rumor: Benning has green light to make a trade and is working the phones. Trying to fix "chemistry"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m a bit confused by the premise of the title here. If the GM does not have the green light to make trades as he sees fit, then what is he even doing here? That’s a basic function of the job.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
1st + prospect.
Well they basically traded a top 10 pick for him so start there.
They shouldn't be, but if he is, we traded a 9th overall pick and took on OEL's contract to get him.
2022 1st + One of our higher end prospects (or 2 lower ones)

Sandin/Lilj/Robertson aren’t included as prospects but everyone else is game.

1st + Amirov might work but that’s technically 2 1sts. what do you guys think?

Could something like 1st + Dermott + 2 B Level prospects work?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I’m a bit confused by the premise of the title here. If the GM does not have the green light to make trades as he sees fit, then what is he even doing here? That’s a basic function of the job.

Aquilini is seen to be a very..."hands on" owner. Which is to say that he's rumoured to be interfering with the running of the team, even butting heads with Gillis regarding a rebuild in 2012. Which is why so many Canucks fans are way, way, way into doing a proper rebuild. 9 years of coasting like this while selling things as a "retool" is a long time.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Most/many teams have budgets by owners, I wouldn’t say all GM’s have green light to make any trades they want. That’s giving GM’s far more control then they likely have.

Now one might tweak your statement by saying, assuming the GM stays within the operating parameters set by ownership (budget short & long term) he can make trades any time he likes.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

A first and Amirov isn't bad at all. If we're doing a total tear down, I'd say game on, but if it's just "tweaks" that Benning is doing, I'd want to hold off and keep Garland.

Reactions: LucicAndChong

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
He also made some brutal picks and traded away picks like candy while not being a playoff team.
The trading picks away thing is a very very fair complaint. But the hit rate in terms of upper echelon players with the picks that we did have is one of the few things that can't really be complained about (even though I loathed the Virtanen pick at the time, and was dismayed that we missed Tkachuk for Juolevi, in terms of average hit rate, he's done well).

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
A first and Amirov isn't bad at all. If we're doing a total tear down, I'd say game on, but if it's just "tweaks" that Benning is doing, I'd want to hold off and keep Garland.
now I will say when I said 1st + Amirov I was kindaaaa reaching a little bit. I’m fine with trading Amirov and a 1st in the same package, but just for Garland? idk. I wouldn’t need much of an add but I would feel a lot more comfortable either getting back a lower pick (3rd maybe? 4th+6th?) or like a retention down from 4,950,000 to like 4.5

if not I mean, I still wouldn’t be too mad about doing this trade

after trading Kerfoot + Holl for the cap space, the leafs could ice a fully healthy team of

Nylander - Matthews - Marner

Bunting - Tavares - Garland

Mikheyev - Kampf - Kase

Ritchie - Spezza - Simmonds

Semyonov

Rielly - Brodie

Muzzin - Liljegren

Sandin - Dermott

Menell

I think that’s pretty lethal

Reactions: Cogburn

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver

Well the GM is an idiot so it's possible.

If it was me I'd just take the 1st and Amirov and maybe a mid round pick swap.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
The trading picks away thing is a very very fair complaint. But the hit rate in terms of upper echelon players with the picks that we did have is one of the few things that can't really be complained about (even though I loathed the Virtanen pick at the time, and was dismayed that we missed Tkachuk for Juolevi, in terms of average hit rate, he's done well).

Again it's what's on the ice and what's in the pipe-line + what got away.

Just resigning Virtanen over Toffoli is quite remarkable.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Valuewise it’s probably pretty fair but I don’t think Garland is a guy that will be moved. He fits the age group of the younger guys and signed a reasonable 5 year extension. Miller, or even Boeser, are far more likely to be moved.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Most/many teams have budgets by owners, I wouldn’t say all GM’s have green light to make any trades they want. That’s giving GM’s far more control then they likely have.

Now one might tweak your statement by saying, assuming the GM stays within the operating parameters set by ownership (budget short & long term) he can make trades any time he likes.
Likely with the exception of a player or 2 here or there…McDavid comes to mind. I don’t see the Oilers ownership allowing McDavid to be traded without their direct consent. There are a few players that fall into that catagory based on the particular team and particular player

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Give Oilers your finest bottom 6 forward for our 2nd rounder or 3rd depending on contract

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Again it's what's on the ice and what's in the pipe-line + what got away.

Just resigning Virtanen over Toffoli is quite remarkable.
I don't disagree. I wanted them to cut bait with Virtanen ages earlier. In fact, I thought he was a bust before he was picked. I was a big Ehlers advocate and seeing him be this successful is both vindicating and infuriating.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
I don't disagree. I wanted them to cut bait with Virtanen ages earlier. In fact, I thought he was a bust before he was picked. I was a big Ehlers advocate and seeing him be this successful is both vindicating and infuriating.

Ditto on Ehlers.

Everyone and their dog thought the Nucks would take Tkatchuk over Juolevi.

I remember on the day saying the only player I didn't want in the top rankings was Juolevi lol, Sergachev my D preference.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Ditto on Ehlers.

Everyone and their dog thought the Nucks would tak Tkatchuk over Juolevi.

I remember on the day saying the only player I didn't want in the top rankings was Juolevi lol, Sergachev my D preference.
I remember not even really knowing who Juolevi was. And the funny thing about that, was that I had watched a couple of Memorial Cup games to get a look at Tkachuk and come away impressed.

When we picked Juolevi I felt kind of dumb like, "I watched him play and didn't even notice him". Turned out I wasn't the stupid one in the scenario.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Likely with the exception of a player or 2 here or there…McDavid comes to mind. I don’t see the Oilers ownership allowing McDavid to be traded without their direct consent. There are a few players that fall into that catagory based on the particular team and particular player

Agreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad