Proposal: Ben Chiarot to NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He'll go for something like a 2nd and a prospect, and maybe a mid-round pick swap just to even out picks between years between two teams, and it'll be an argument the minute it's done whether or not the package is close to 1st round value.

And suddenly fans of whoever got him will think this is a great deal for them.

Pretty much. We have seen this play out before.

Reactions: pth2

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You will not be getting Chiarot for a 2nd and a small add. Like it or not, teams are going to offer more than that. So if that is your top price, be prepared to be very upset if Dubas trades for him cause it will be higher than that. Or you are happy cause another team pays the price.

Not sure what the actual return will be but it's higher than a 2nd and small add. Reality
You are far too emotionally invested in your team to see that fans from all teams that have put forward proposals are all saying a collective ‘F*** NO’ to a first round pick for Chiarot. He is not a good 4D as you alluded to in another post. He is a poor man’s 4D. If you had your top 4 in place and needed a bottom pairing guy, sure. If you need a middle pairing guy to play big minutes and carry play, no thank you. Especially for a first round pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are far too emotionally invested in your team to see that fans from all teams that have put forward proposals are all saying a collective ‘F*** NO’ to a first round pick for Chiarot. He is not a good 4D as you alluded to in another post. He is a poor man’s 4D. If you had your top 4 in place and needed a bottom pairing guy, sure. If you need a middle pairing guy, no thank you. Especially for a first round pick.

How about you pass on replying to me. Too confrontational and I have more respect with talking with other Leafs fans.

There is no emotions involved but nice try. I'm just engaging and trying to have respectful conversations (even in disagreements). I can't be bothered with your type of narrative and staring a post like "You are too emotionally invested". If that's true, what's up with your obsession towards me. There is that too and you're not the HF board police.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
How about you pass on replying to me. Too confrontational and I have more respect with talking with other Leafs fans.
Block button is right there. But because I’m giving you the honest answer of what almost universally other fans are saying (he’s not worth a first round pick) doesn’t make me confrontational. I’m telling you the truth. You trying to ram a square peg in a round hole doesn’t make it round. I doubt there is any way for you to see past what others have been telling you because you’ve already made up your mind.

It was much the same before the season started discussing the Canadiens chances this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Block button is right there. But because I’m giving you the honest answer of what almost universally other fans are saying (he’s not worth a first round pick) doesn’t make me confrontational. I’m telling you the truth. You trying to ram a square peg in a round hole doesn’t make it round. I doubt there is any way for you to see past what others have been telling you because you’ve already made up your mind.

It was much the same before the season started discussing the Canadiens chances this year.

Ignore coming right up. You're telling the truth and your truth trumps others truth right? That comical and a horrible take. Well, in case you didn't notice, you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Have a nice day. I'll talk to others now thank you very much

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Montreal trades:
Ben Chiarot

New York trades:
2022 1st round draft pick
+
Brett Berard

NYR's pick is projected as a late 1st (25th overall). This would give Montreal three current first rounders (projected as 1st, 24th, and 25th currently). Two late picks like that can be used to move up, something I believe Gorton has done before in the first round. Berard has long term upside and can fill a role that is lacking on the Habs (agitator with skill). See scouting report below.

SCOUTING REPORT
As the son of both a former NCAA goaltender at Providence College (father) as well as a college star field hockey player (mother), he has the ideal pedigree for any National Hockey League player. Is a highly skilled forward with a competitive streak to match. Is somewhat undersized for the NHL but he makes up for it with a feisty attitude and loads of grit. His hockey IQ is top-notch and he also owns agitating qualities that make him a pain to play against. Compared to NHL star agitator Brad Marchand, he will need to bulk up and get stronger to maximize output.
Long Range Potential: Diminutive but talented, agitating winger with upside.

Brett Berard Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | New York Rangers | Sports Forecaster

Wasn't it leaked that the Habs are looking for a 1st rounder in return for Chariot? Not too mention they are looking at a deadline where 5 contending teams already traded thier 1st round pick.

If so, why would NYR include Berard?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wasn't it leaked that the Habs are looking for a 1st rounder in return for Chariot? Not too mention they are looking at a deadline where 5 contending teams already traded thier 1st round pick.

It's the members of the media that have claimed that and according to their sources, the price is a 1st and that has recently ballooned to a 1st and a prospect. Just your typical pre deadline stuff. Sellers looking to sell high and buyers looking to buy low.

Truth is usually in the middle of the noise

Last edited:
Reactions: pth2 and egelband

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Ignore coming right up. You're telling the truth and your truth trumps others truth right? That comical and a horrible take. Well, in case you didn't notice, you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Have a nice day. I'll talk to others now thank you very much
I mean pages of facts have been presented to you and you discredit them by moving the goalposts. In another thread a poster showed you Chiarot’s impact on his D partner and that D partner without him were terrible with years worth of statistics and it wasn’t enough to sway you. I’d suggest it’s you who has an opinion over fact.

We can’t pretend like the ‘truth’ I’m talking about isn’t right in front of you with dozens of posts saying they don’t want chiarot for a first. Because it quite literally is.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

The90

Feb 27, 2017

Yes. Key word ‘looking’ or ‘seeking’ or ‘the market is’ AKA the Habs want a first round pick.

common12

Sep 10, 2011
Exactly. Buyers looking to buy low and sellers looking to sell high. I doubt a seller is going to sell low a month in advance. What they want is for another seller to sell on their player so the market gets tightened up.

There is a lot of talk going on right now and GM's feeling each other out.

I actually think its the opposite. 14 or 15 teams are already out of it. There is a ton of players from those 14 or 15 teams that are available. Competition lowers prices. Teams are either going to cut their prices or get nothing in return. Thats also ignoring injuries which would cause a team to go from a potential 1st round pick to nothing real quick. Honestly I think all these leaks are just GMs trying to drive up the price on their players and frankly I dont think its working. If someone offered a 1st for Chariot he would off been gone already.

Reactions: egelband

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I actually think its the opposite. 14 or 15 teams are already out of it. There is a ton of players from those 14 or 15 teams that are available. Competition lowers prices. Teams are either going to cut their prices or get nothing in return. Thats also ignoring injuries which would cause a team to go from a potential 1st round pick to nothing real quick. Honestly I think all these leaks are just GMs trying to drive up the price on their players and frankly I dont think its working. If someone offered a 1st for Chariot he would off been gone already.

A month away. Not saying you are wrong or right but a lot can happen in a month. I don't suspect there will be a flurry of moves well in advance of the deadline but there might be a few.

Very subjective and all we can do is guess as fans.

Also, I think there are certain types of players teams are after. A top 4D is deeper in context in terms of the type of player some teams might be after where other teams are after another type. Same goes for top 6F and bottom 6F. There is a lot of dialog going on among GM's

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Exactly.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

I could see there being a few GMs out there with a 1st they're willing to move, but who are looking at other players too, with Chiarot somewhere down their list.

If their other target(s) go, then they'd pull the trigger on Chiarot.

So yeah, likely no one has offered a first yet, but it doesn't mean some GM isn't willing to do it.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I could see there being a few GMs out there with a 1st they're willing to move, but who are looking at other players too, with Chiarot somewhere down their list.

If their other target(s) go, then they'd pull the trigger on Chiarot.

So yeah, likely no one has offered a first yet, but it doesn't mean some GM isn't willing to do it.
Often there's one move a week before the deadline that gets the ball rolling. Once Chychrun is moved (or it's clear he won't be), other GMs with D on the market will be getting calls; in Montreal's case it might be for Chiarot or even Petry, if a team's needs are longer-term (while longer contracts are often moved in summer, if Petry wants out and another team likes the idea of getting him ASAP, it might as well happen now)

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
It's the members of the media that have claimed that according to their sources, the price is a 1st and that has recently ballooned to a 1st and a prospect. Just your typical pre deadline stuff. Sellers looking to sell high and buyers looking to buy low.

Truth is usually in the middle of the noise

GM's love the phyiscal defenseman. Same for the oversized Center. They always seem to garner a little more in return. In TSN's trade bait board from today, 8 in the top 20 are are defenseman. 4 of them "if moved" are worthy of a 1st round selection in return. Chychrun, Chariot, Klingberg, Giordano. Maybe Lindholm? Braun, Miller, Leddy likely could be had for lesser return.

Of that group Chychrun's contract would also put him on other lists of suitors. He's not a rental. So the Market opens up a little more. Chariot, Klingberg and Giordano truly head the list of true Rentals.

For the Forward group Giroux and Hertl head the list. Both expiring assets, both will def get a 1st rounder in return. Unless...Giroux demands a trade to Colorado only. They don't have their 1st.

This is going to be a weird deadline.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Chariot, Klingberg and Giordano truly head the list of true Rentals.
Chariot, with retention, fits under just about any teams cap, and if they send a random expiring contract in return, it's pretty much certain. Teams might want to add Giordano but only Chariot (or a bargain-basement option like Kulak) can be made to work, cap-wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad