Proposal: Ben Chiarot to NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Go read the Rangers' forum about Kravtsov and you'll find out all you need to know.

I did one better and also read back what Rangers fans had to say on Twitter in the last 6 months. Kravtsov sounds like another Drouin.

If some team is willing to pay a first for Chiarot, no matter which team it is, you take it and run.

Also, please leave Rangers fans alone. They want nothing to do with Chiarot, in case their posts so far haven't been clear enough. :laugh:

Fair enough. I was just thinking that his trade value could be somewhere around a late first.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fair enough. I was just thinking that his trade value could be somewhere around a late first.

And it could still be.

I think some team will blink since it's been reported that there were 12 teams showing interest. Hughes also said he's willing to retain 50% on Chiarot.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Fair enough.

And to be clear--that wasn't meant as a knock on Chiarot. It's just that we already have a veteran 3rd pair guy (Nemeth), and two guys who look promising who could play 3rd pair LD (Jones and Lundkvist), AND a guy who can step in in a pinch (Libor Hajek), AND a guy who they are developing to play on the left side of the D (Robertson) on top of already having K'Andre Miller and Ryan Lindgren both established on the top two pairs. The team literally has four guys, all 24 or younger, who can play that 3rd pair LD spot in addition to Nemeth (the 30 year old vet). Why spend any assets there when there are gaping holes on the 3rd line and (moving forward) at 2C?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Montreal trades:
Ben Chiarot

New York trades:
2022 1st round draft pick
+
Brett Berard

NYR's pick is projected as a late 1st (25th overall). This would give Montreal three current first rounders (projected as 1st, 24th, and 25th currently). Two late picks like that can be used to move up, something I believe Gorton has done before in the first round. Berard has long term upside and can fill a role that is lacking on the Habs (agitator with skill). See scouting report below.

SCOUTING REPORT
As the son of both a former NCAA goaltender at Providence College (father) as well as a college star field hockey player (mother), he has the ideal pedigree for any National Hockey League player. Is a highly skilled forward with a competitive streak to match. Is somewhat undersized for the NHL but he makes up for it with a feisty attitude and loads of grit. His hockey IQ is top-notch and he also owns agitating qualities that make him a pain to play against. Compared to NHL star agitator Brad Marchand, he will need to bulk up and get stronger to maximize output.
Long Range Potential: Diminutive but talented, agitating winger with upside.

Brett Berard Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | New York Rangers | Sports Forecaster

no thanks

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Another Chiarot to The Rangers thread?

Rangers fans: We want him but only if we pay an insultingly lowball offer..

Habs fans: We demend an outrageous high price that on no realistic planet Chiarot is worth.....

I feel like I've seen this before.......
The issue is that rangers fans don't really want Chariot. Same with flames fans. Both teams have a loaded defence but continually get linked to Chariot. If anything maybe these teams are looking to add a depth player in case of injury. That is not the kind of player you give up a first for though.

These all seem like false rumors meant to drive the price up.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I never knew Rangers issue was defense. I guess Hunt on the 2ed line and McKegg in the lineup is not much of an issue. They got depth on defense especially with Lundkvist, Jones, Reunanen, Robertson in Hartford, Hajek doesn’t play and is with Rangers, and Nemeth missed some time with an injury and Jones played well when he was called up. Defense is not an issue at all.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NYR fans don't really want to waste valuable assets for Chiarot. The organization migth feel different, hence the rotating 3rd LD spot, but I think including a prospect like Berard is too much of an over pay here. I think we're one of the teams that absolutely doesn't need their 1st round pick after all the prospects we stockpiled and have no room for right now, but I'd prefer it used on another position.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Montreal trades:
Ben Chiarot

New York trades:
+
Brett Berard

NYR's pick is projected as a late 1st (25th overall). This would give Montreal three current first rounders (projected as 1st, 24th, and 25th currently). Two late picks like that can be used to move up, something I believe Gorton has done before in the first round. Berard has long term upside and can fill a role that is lacking on the Habs (agitator with skill). See scouting report below.

SCOUTING REPORT
As the son of both a former NCAA goaltender at Providence College (father) as well as a college star field hockey player (mother), he has the ideal pedigree for any National Hockey League player. Is a highly skilled forward with a competitive streak to match. Is somewhat undersized for the NHL but he makes up for it with a feisty attitude and loads of grit. His hockey IQ is top-notch and he also owns agitating qualities that make him a pain to play against. Compared to NHL star agitator Brad Marchand, he will need to bulk up and get stronger to maximize output.

Brett Berard Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | New York Rangers | Sports Forecaster

Berard is gonna be on NYR within 2 or 3 years. He is one of their untouchables prospects. Only way Berard gets traded is if he is lets Rangers know beforehand that he won’t sign with them so he can be a Free Agent after his senior year. We have not seen any issue indicating that.

Reactions: bl02

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Montreal trades:
Ben Chiarot

New York trades:
+
Brett Berard

SCOUTING REPORT

Bleep no. This is an insane overpayment by the NYR.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The issue is that rangers fans don't really want Chariot. Same with flames fans. Both teams have a loaded defence but continually get linked to Chariot. If anything maybe these teams are looking to add a depth player in case of injury. That is not the kind of player you give up a first for though.

These all seem like false rumors meant to drive the price up.
There's also that most fans would rather see promising kids, whereas a lot of GMs and coaches want reliable veterans, so it's likely any team trading for Chiarot would have their fans be against the move, even if it was for an objectively reasonable price. Kulak should be another rental with some value, but no fans are clamoring to add him, even for a middling pick, simply because fans (specifically HF fans) want kids more than middle of the road vets.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There's also that most fans would rather see promising kids, whereas a lot of GMs and coaches want reliable veterans, so it's likely any team trading for Chiarot would have their fans be against the move, even if it was for an objectively reasonable price. Kulak should be another rental with some value, but no fans are clamoring to add him, even for a middling pick, simply because fans (specifically HF fans) want kids more than middle of the road vets.

Montreal fans are not asking "objectively reasonable" prices. Look at the OP's ask. 1st plus A prospect? No way. This is the Toffoli deal all over again. Every Flame fan was saying 1st + B prospect...Montreal fans were demanding Pelletier (some even wanted a 1st/2nd added)...guess what Toffoli went for.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Another Chiarot to The Rangers thread?

Rangers fans: We want him but only if we pay an insultingly lowball offer..

Habs fans: We demend an outrageous high price that on no realistic planet Chiarot is worth.....

I feel like I've seen this before.......

Rumors are multiple team have offered their first for Chiarot so far.. so what’s outrageous about that proposition unless that prospect a high end prospect I do not know about?

Asking price seems to be a first + third according to insiders. We ain’t far from it, no?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Berard himself almost has as much value as our 1st. Not to mention Chiarot isn’t even better than Lindgren or Miller. He’d be playing 3rd pairing with Braden Schneider who even then is arguably better than Chiarot right now

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rumors are multiple team have offered their first for Chiarot so far.. so what’s outrageous about that proposition unless that prospect a high end prospect I do not know about?

Asking price seems to be a first + third according to insiders. We ain’t far from it, no?

Cause fans think they know more than actual GM's in the NHL.

Reactions: Groo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Berard himself almost has as much value as our 1st. Not to mention Chiarot isn’t even better than Lindgren or Miller. He’d be playing 3rd pairing with Braden Schneider who even then is arguably better than Chiarot right now

Schneider will be a good one but it's very premature to think that he will be a stud in the playoffs this early. I value Ghule just as high as Schneider but lets face it, they need development time and the Playoffs are a different game.

I can respect a no answer cause you rather stay with what you got but your grossly devaluing Chiarot and probably have not even watched 5 full games from him over the last two seasons. Don't worry, you are not the only one so you probably feel like your popular bandwagon is the truth.

Classic HF boards... I'm not paying that price and your guy sucks. Because the price is high, You will target the player in question and go on a witch hunt to devalue them more and more.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Montreal fans are not asking "objectively reasonable" prices. Look at the OP's ask. 1st plus A prospect? No way. This is the Toffoli deal all over again. Every Flame fan was saying 1st + B prospect...Montreal fans were demanding Pelletier (some even wanted a 1st/2nd added)...guess what Toffoli went for.
I did write "even if it was for a reasonable price" or words to that effect.

If it was only a question of price, we wouldn't see as much Chiarot-bashing, though people on here are fond of hating a guy based on a stat line. But my point was that most fans would rather think Chiarot or Kulak aren't needed, at all, as rentals. So any price seems too high.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

I have heard the asking price is roughly what Savard got last year and I have heard multiple teams are interested.

I haven't heard tams have offered up the 1st though....Is that a new development?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Rangers fans are united in not wanting another absolute pylon on defense. We're done with those. We've seen enough over the years to know better. I don't care what he has done in the past. He's been atrocious this season.

If the acquiring price was that of next to nothing, then fine, but a 1st round pick is not going to be exchanged from the Rangers for a 3rd pairing guy. He's not displacing Miller and he is not displacing Lindgren.

Then you add in Brett Berard, who was on the US top line in the WJC and is performing like a top pick would at the NCAA level.

We're good.

You want to move Lehkonen for Kravtsov and a pick? That's about all we want. The Rangers are playing Dryden Hunt and Greg McKegg in their bottom 6. They need a boost in forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad