Proposal: Ben Chiarot to NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I did write "even if it was for a reasonable price" or words to that effect.

If it was only a question of price, we wouldn't see as much Chiarot-bashing, though people on here are fond of hating a guy based on a stat line. But my point was that most fans would rather think Chiarot or Kulak aren't needed, at all, as rentals. So any price seems too high.

When the asks are outrageous, the automatic response is "bashing"....

The Habs should be more realistic. The price is likely 2nd+, or if this bidding war gets going a late 1st. That's the high point though. No adding prospects like Berard. And demanding those prospects from a team like the Rangers, who added defence is a luxury to, is counter-productive. Montreal fans are bringing this upon themselves.

Reactions: common12

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I highly doubt that. 99% of fans from whichever team trades for him will be pissed.

99% eh? I think it feels like 99% right now cause you partying on a bandwagon and the drinks are going down well but once the trade happens, the narrative changes quickly where the fans who are staying in the shadows come out and defend his game and basically say the same things Habs fans are saying now.

Loud minorities having a good ol time on the party bandwagon don't represent the majority.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
99% eh? I think it feels like 99% right now cause you partying on a bandwagon and the drinks are going down well but once the trade happens, the narrative changes quickly where the fans who are staying in the shadows come out and defend his game and basically say the same things Habs fans are saying now.

Loud minorities having a good ol time on the party bandwagon don't represent the majority.
Sure buddy. We'll see

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Until their GM trades for him and then they defend his value. ;)
I will only speak for myself...depends on the cost, 2nd+(small add), i have no issue as a Leafs fan....but 1st(+)? I wouldn't defend that, i would be pissed....same as i was with the Foligno trade....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I will only speak for myself...depends on the cost, 2nd+(small add), i have no issue as a Leafs fan....but 1st(+)? I wouldn't defend that, i would be pissed....

You will not be getting Chiarot for a 2nd and a small add. Like it or not, teams are going to offer more than that. So if that is your top price, be prepared to be very upset if Dubas trades for him cause it will be higher than that. Or you are happy cause another team pays the price.

Not sure what the actual return will be but it's higher than a 2nd and small add. Reality

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
You will not be getting Chiarot for a 2nd and a small add. Like it or not, teams are going to offer more than that. So if that is your top price, be prepared to be very upset if Dubas trades for him cause it will be higher than that. Or you are happy cause another team pays the price.

Not sure what the actual return will be but it's higher than a 2nd and small add. Reality
That's it in a nutshell, if he goes for a 1st(+), then i hope it isn't Toronto....

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's it in a nutshell, if he goes for a 1st(+), then i hope it isn't Toronto....

I totally get it. But I'd be shocked if Chiarot is traded for a 2nd and small add. There is just too much interest in him.

A month away from the deadline. This trade talk is only starting to pick up steam. I do suspect a few GM's to try to make a move earlier but we will see about that.

Reactions: Runner77

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Honest question to Rangers fans....are you folks good with moving a 1st and/or prospects this season? I'll admit i obviously don't follow the Rangers super closely, but i didn't see them competing this soon. i just keep seeing them in Miller (and other threads) involving young pieces....

Reactions: Runner77

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Honest question to Rangers fans....are you folks good with moving a 1st and/or prospects this season? I'll admit i obviously don't follow the Rangers super closely, but i didn't see them competing this soon. i just keep seeing them in Miller (and other threads) involving young pieces....

Only if it makes sense
Center depth to win faceoffs, RW depth. Must be able to skate check play physical and agitate. One reason I feel Max Domi will be a Ranger especially with his dad a fan favorite. I'd rather go for the lesser type of trade targets. If they can keep the 1st unless they're trading for Larkin or Dubois types players young and in their prime with room to grow. No need to trade 1st round picks for rentals.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Chiarot to the Leafs makes way more sense. Do Habs fans really have an issue with trading with the Leafs? I imagine that’s overblown.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Chiarot to the Leafs makes way more sense. Do Habs fans really have an issue with trading with the Leafs? I imagine that’s overblown.

Habs will take the best offer and there is a month till deadline. Why would we take a meh return when that meh return will be likely offered on deadline day? Makes no sense if you put yourself in our shoes. Risk of injury? Sure but if it's a 2nd and small add, we already have that in our pool (loads of it) and we will take the risks of Chiarot getting hurt and we get nothing.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Maybe. Maybe that price gets met.
I am not arguing against that price in principle, during last 10 years my NYR have been on both sides of such deals.
But there may not be enough assets and buyers available, for every offered vet to fetch the hoped-for asking price.

The challenge is that the anticipated 'market' price is probably only a worthwhile price for those teams seeking to patch certain needs, and hoping to challenge all the way for the Cup - top contenders(Avs, TB, Leafs?, ...), or one-last-kick-at-the-can franchises (~Caps, Bruins, Pens?)
My NYR are having an unexpectedly strong season, but are neither of those, and shouldn't overpay this time around

There are only maybe a dozen of those types of buyers, not all have the goods to offer, and there are a LOT of rental, or other, players that may be available.

Habs were so right to grab the Toffoli offer once it met their threshold, I suspect some sellers may have to settle for less.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe. Maybe that price gets met.
I am not arguing against that price in principle, during last 10 years my NYR have been on both sides of such deals.
But there may not be enough assets and buyers available, for every offered vet to fetch the hoped-for asking price.

The challenge is that the anticipated 'market' price is probably only a worthwhile price for those teams seeking to patch certain needs, and hoping to challenge all the way for the Cup - top contenders(Avs, TB, Leafs?, ...), or one-last-kick-at-the-can franchises (~Caps, Bruins, Pens?)
My NYR are having an unexpectedly strong season, but are neither of those, and shouldn't overpay this time around

There are only maybe a dozen of those types of buyers, not all have the goods to offer, and there are a LOT of rental, or other, players that may be available.

Habs were so right to grab the Toffoli offer once it met their threshold, I suspect some sellers may have to settle for less.

Get ready, we have a month of this to go yet. Who makes a move early? Anybody's guess.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah. But I just don’t see who else gives the Leafs what they need at low cost.

Exactly. Buyers looking to buy low and sellers looking to sell high. I doubt a seller is going to sell low a month in advance. What they want is for another seller to sell on their player so the market gets tightened up.

There is a lot of talk going on right now and GM's feeling each other out.

Reactions: egelband

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Only if it makes sense
Center depth to win faceoffs, RW depth. Must be able to skate check play physical and agitate. One reason I feel Max Domi will be a Ranger especially with his dad a fan favorite. I'd rather go for the lesser type of trade targets. If they can keep the 1st unless they're trading for Larkin or Dubois types players young and in their prime with room to grow. No need to trade 1st round picks for rentals.
Thanks for the response, i was genuinely curious...

Reactions: RangersFan1994

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I totally get it. But I'd be shocked if Chiarot is traded for a 2nd and small add. There is just too much interest in him.

A month away from the deadline. This trade talk is only starting to pick up steam. I do suspect a few GM's to try to make a move earlier but we will see about that.
He'll go for something like a 2nd and a prospect, and maybe a mid-round pick swap just to even out picks between years between two teams, and it'll be an argument the minute it's done whether or not the package is close to 1st round value.

And suddenly fans of whoever got him will think this is a great deal for them.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Montreal fans are not asking "objectively reasonable" prices. Look at the OP's ask. 1st plus A prospect? No way. This is the Toffoli deal all over again. Every Flame fan was saying 1st + B prospect...Montreal fans were demanding Pelletier (some even wanted a 1st/2nd added)...guess what Toffoli went for.
demanding? Please. Nobody here can demand, coerce, force or pull the trigger on any transaction in the NHL. This fantasy GM site is just a place where you can say that your team and its players are better and worth more and we do the same with ours.
All of this is not worth the ink it is not written in!

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad