Value of: Ben Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• Total voters

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
The Habs drafted Lehkonen in the 2nd. They have developed him to be a versatile player who do the PK very well. Lehkonen can play up and down the line up effectively (doing great with Suzuki and Toffoli right now). He is still RFA. Why should we trade him for a 2nd? If the offer is for a 2nd, the Habs is much better off keeping him as a vet presence during the rebuild.
Just like I said, we might just keep him. Where u draft a player means nothing for the return you will get. As much has I like Lek, we are not getting a first for a 11-13goals/30pts two way soft player, let’s be real…

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
We won't get that... Lekhonen is not a pest and a physical player, Coleman is a better goal scorer also. A lot of habs fans overrate him. He will fletch a 2nd IMO. We might keep him too.
Wouldn't trade him for a 2nd tho

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Just like I said, we might just keep him. Where u draft a player means nothing for the return you will get. As much has I like Lek, we are not getting a first for a 11-13goals/30pts two way soft player, let’s be real…
How is he soft? He's not going out of his way to throw hits or fight but he's not soft by any means

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
How is he soft? He's not going out of his way to throw hits or fight but he's not soft by any means
We are not getting a first for a 12goals,30pts, not going out of his way to throw hits or fight, player, if thats better for you. Goodrow and Coleman are tough,pest and that's way tampa overpayed for them, not happening with Lek. As I said, we might just keep him.

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
We are not getting a first for a 12goals,30pts, not going out of his way to throw hits or fight, player, if thats better for you. Goodrow and Coleman are tough,pest and that's way tampa overpayed for them, not happening with Lek. As I said, we might just keep him.
Coleman is better overall, but Goodrow isn't. If we don't have anything better then a 2nd , it would be stupid to trade him imo

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Coleman is better overall, but Goodrow isn't. If we don't have anything better then a 2nd , it would be stupid to trade him imo
Goodrow was making under 1M for 2 years on tampas cap. Lehkonen's cap hit is 2.3M and is expiring. San Jose also had to attach a 3rd to Goodrow in order to get Tampa's first (which was the 31st pick). If you are planning to use all of that as a comparable for expected Lehkonen return, you're going to be dissapointed.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Goodrow was making under 1M for 2 years on tampas cap. Lehkonen's cap hit is 2.3M and is expiring. San Jose also had to attach a 3rd to Goodrow in order to get Tampa's first (which was the 31st pick). If you are planning to use all of that as a comparable for expected Lehkonen return, you're going to be dissapointed.
I'm not cause I'm fine keeping him. He's paid more because he's a better player then Goodrow at the moment of the trade.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'm not cause I'm fine keeping him. He's paid more because he's a better player then Goodrow at the moment of the trade.
Okay but what I am telling you is the fact he's paid over twice as much, and doesn't have extra years on his deal is why he isn't worth what Goodrow got. Goodrow was pretty much worth a 2nd while at an amazing cap hit for 2 seasons, and it took an extra 3rd to get a 1st in return for him.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Okay but what I am telling you is the fact he's paid over twice as much, and doesn't have extra years on his deal is why he isn't worth what Goodrow got. Goodrow was pretty much worth a 2nd while at an amazing cap hit for 2 seasons, and it took an extra 3rd to get a 1st in return for him.
He's rfa tho and he's better at hockey

Gaud

May 11, 2017
The Habs drafted Lehkonen in the 2nd. They have developed him to be a versatile player who do the PK very well. Lehkonen can play up and down the line up effectively (doing great with Suzuki and Toffoli right now). He is still RFA. Why should we trade him for a 2nd? If the offer is for a 2nd, the Habs is much better off keeping him as a vet presence during the rebuild.
The guy has imppecable work ethic, proffesionalism and accepts his role. he is young and on a fair salary. He may be worth a 2nd to other GMs, but im with you here. Why would we accept anything but an overpay for someone with his skillset and workethic?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I think that makes him medium firm, not soft haha
sorry - this reminded me of discussions ive had with my gf regarding tofu

Reactions: TomKosto

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Both are better players than Suzuki and both make less than Suzuki.

Pettersson was who I was thinking of when I said some kids get the big payday early and fade. What is their true value? What they showed two years ago or what they have done since their payday. Pettersson had two very good years early with 66 points since signing for the big bucks his production is down quite a bit.. Here is another kid that should have been given a bridge type contract. He is way overpaid.

Nylander is in his seventh season in the NHL and has a proven record of performance.. You know what you can expect every year. He is also making like 1 mil less a season than Suzuki.

Congrats to Suzuki in hooking up with a good agent Im happy for him. Your next GM wont be so happy.

You must be an NHL scout with such great knowledge like that lol. Again you are just biased with your hard on hating the Habs. By the way I don't know if you watch the game or not, but the Habs are not doing well this year. If you judge based on a bad year the stats tend to be worse.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He's rfa tho and he's better at hockey
Even if you think he's "better at hockey"...they're both 3rd line/middle-6 players, they're not that valuable. And I don't care if he's an RFA, he's the same age Goodrow was when he was traded, and whatever team trades for him still has to absorb his 2.3M cap hit (Tampa only had to absordb 975k for Goodrow) and then they have to sign him to a contract this summer at probably something similar or maybe higher (Tampa did not have to worry about this because Goodrow had another year left).

It's not like Lehkonen is multiple tiers above Goodrow to warrant his level of play being worth more than having a player of the same caliber for half the money and an extra year.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I could definitely see TB or another top team moving their 1st for him if he has at least 50% of his salary retained. He showed last year that he can play a regular shift deep into the playoffs and that carries a lot of value. I'd rather him for my 3rd pair than Savard, that's for sure.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Even if you think he's "better at hockey"...they're both 3rd line/middle-6 players, they're not that valuable. And I don't care if he's an RFA, he's the same age Goodrow was when he was traded, and whatever team trades for him still has to absorb his 2.3M cap hit (Tampa only had to absordb 975k for Goodrow) and then they have to sign him to a contract this summer at probably something similar or maybe higher (Tampa did not have to worry about this because Goodrow had another year left).

It's not like Lehkonen is multiple tiers above Goodrow to warrant his level of play being worth more than having a player of the same caliber for half the money and an extra year.
When he got traded, is career high was 8 goals and he was a exclusively a 4th liner. Lehkonen plays up and down the line up, PK and is good for 15 goals a year (almost doubling Goodrow). At the moment of the trade, Goodrow wasn't as good as Lehkonen is right now.

Maybe you don't care if he's RFA, but that has a pretty good impact on value. It's very weird you say that...
Montreal could easily retain half of the 2.3M to make it 1.15 which makes it pretty much the same. It's not very far fetched we could do that...
Like I said, I'm fine with keeping him and I wouldn't trade him for a late 2nd round pick.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
When he got traded, is career high was 8 goals and he was a exclusively a 4th liner. Lehkonen plays up and down the line up, PK and is good for 15 goals a year (almost doubling Goodrow). At the moment of the trade, Goodrow wasn't as good as Lehkonen is right now.

Maybe you don't care if he's RFA, but that has a pretty good impact on value. It's very weird you say that...
Montreal could easily retain half of the 2.3M to make it 1.15 which makes it pretty much the same. It's not very far fetched we could do that...
Like I said, I'm fine with keeping him and I wouldn't trade him for a late 2nd round pick.
Yea but he is tough, can drop the gloves, make big hits. It was what Tampa lacked to get long playoff run. Has I said, I don't dislike Lek, but I don't see a GM overpaying for him. He's a true pro, I think we will just keep him.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yea but he is tough, can drop the gloves, make big hits. It was what Tampa lacked to get long playoff run. Has I said, I don't dislike Lek, but I don't see a GM overpaying for him. He's a true pro, I think we will just keep him.
I mean, yes you're right it is what Tampa was looking for, but I don't see Goodrow being intimidating to play against in anyway. He's not winning a lot of fights.
I don't think it would be an overpayment to pay a late first for Lehkonen at 1.15 M, considering he's RFA.
Chances of that late first being anything close to Lekhonen are what, 25% at most. If a teams feel he is what they need, I don't see it as an overpayment.

But yes, we'll gladly keep him here. He's a good example for the kids.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
I mean, yes you're right it is what Tampa was looking for, but I don't see Goodrow being intimidating to play against in anyway. He's not winning a lot of fights.
I don't think it would be an overpayment to pay a late first for Lehkonen at 1.15 M, considering he's RFA.
Chances of that late first being anything close to Lekhonen are what, 25% at most. If a teams feel he is what they need, I don't see it as an overpayment.

But yes, we'll gladly keep him here. He's a good example for the kids.
He may not win all of his fight, but he’s tough and will step up for his teammates. That’s also why NyR gave him that contract this summer. Not the case with Lekhonen.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
This debate about is he worth a first is pretty useless.

It's more simple, if no one offer a 1st or good prospect, you simply keep him unless he asked to be moved.

Lek won't hurt us if we rebuild...and trading him for a 2nd won't move the needle enough for a rebuild.

I do believe it's possible he return a 1st. Deadline is always a wild card from our perspective.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I dont see why more GMs use all kinds of conditional assets on trades

In Chiarot's case, it's hard to say what he's worth out of context.

So why not add all kinds of conditional assets. Like if Montreal really wants a 1st for sure, a team could give it, and if Chiarot doesnt do well, Montreal gives a 2nd or whatever. Or, the pick they get is totally conditional, like a 2nd rounder that can become a 1st

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I dont see why more GMs use all kinds of conditional assets on trades

In Chiarot's case, it's hard to say what he's worth out of context.

So why not add all kinds of conditional assets. Like if Montreal really wants a 1st for sure, a team could give it, and if Chiarot doesnt do well, Montreal gives a 2nd or whatever. Or, the pick they get is totally conditional, like a 2nd rounder that can become a 1st
Because GM’s do t negotiate one v one but instead with multiple at the same time and one will just say take the first

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Because GM’s do t negotiate one v one but instead with multiple at the same time and one will just say take the first
Okay fight that with more conditions then. So Montreal gets the first no matter what, but if Chiarot does really good (maybe a playoff TOI measure) then Montreal gets an extra pick. And you justify this by having it that if Chiarot underperforms, Montreal is the one giving the extra pick (although they keep the first)

I'm convinced at some point this will become normal. With conditions you can take out the gambling aspect of a trade and make it so the right value is reached. It's just saner this way

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Okay fight that with more conditions then. So Montreal gets the first no matter what, but if Chiarot does really good (maybe a playoff TOI measure) then Montreal gets an extra pick. And you justify this by having it that if Chiarot underperforms, Montreal is the one giving the extra pick (although they keep the first)

I'm convinced at some point this will become normal. With conditions you can take out the gambling aspect of a trade and make it so the right value is reached. It's just saner this way
This I could absolutely see

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

The difference is thats season the best player available was pageau, kovalchuk, trochek, toffoli, zucker, martinez, dillon

This season ita giroux, hertl, pavelski, klinberg, chychrun lindholm, giordano, kessel...

I give you the choice
Lehkonen for a 1st or
cal clutterbuck for a 3rd,
Or rakell for a 2nd as exemple

who do you choose? The choice is pretty easy

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad