Value of: Ben Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• Total voters

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
If he’s traded before the big names, he might get a 1st. If he’s one of the last traded, it’s far less likely.
Really? I would think it's the inverse. If he's traded before the big names, teams might decide to wait and try to land the bigger names first. Whereas, afterwards, teams that missed out on the big names or decided not to pay the asking price might end up being desperate and hand out the first round pick for him.

Reactions: HabsForHire

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Really? I would think it's the inverse. If he's traded before the big names, teams might decide to wait and try to land the bigger names first. Whereas, afterwards, teams that missed out on the big names or decided not to pay the asking price might end up being desperate and hand out the first round pick for him.

No. First of all, there's a finite number of 1sts that will be traded (think of it like a game of musical chairs). Secondly, once a teams see first being traded for the big names, they might re-think the idea of trading a 1st for a player like Chiarot.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
How is a player making 880k and on pace for like 55-60 points is being overpaid?

You do realize he got an extension for 2022 to 2030 for 7,875,000 per. In his third season and he is at 27 points thus far.. , and has maxed out at 41 points in his previous two years.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
Overpaid by at least 80K. :sarcasm:
Ok for the next 8 years or so he is gonna be worth the 7,875,000 . Sounds like a wise investment in a player who has not scored more than 41 points in his short career. Killing it this year at 27 points thus far. Now that is worth 880,000, :laugh:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
You do realize he got an extension for 2022 to 2030 for 7,875,000 per. In his third season and he is at 27 points thus far.. , and has maxed out at 41 points in his previous two years.

How many more season do you think will be drastically shortened due to global catastrophes?

The funniest part though is that if you really wanted to make an honest attempt you could just throw in Suzuki's playoff games from last year because that put him at roughly a full season (57 points in 78 games), but when you're arguing in bad faith I guess that's just not something worth considering. Or wait wait, let me guess, playoff games are less important than regular season games, so we should just discard them.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
Common you should know the Habs have the best players in the league and everyone else is overrated.

Dont we all.
titanic-sinking-what-do-the-montreal-canadiens-and-the-titanic-have-in-common-they-are-both-at-the-b

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
How many more season do you think will be drastically shortened due to global catastrophes?

The funniest part though is that if you really wanted to make an honest attempt you could just throw in Suzuki's playoff games from last year because that put him at roughly a full season (57 points in 78 games), but when you're arguing in bad faith I guess that's just not something worth considering. Or wait wait, let me guess, playoff games are less important than regular season games, so we should just discard them.
Hey I get it your a Suzuki fan and your happy with the investment. So be it. I have no issues with Montreal. I know though if some other team signed a 3rd year player for that money you guys would be all over it. I guess time will tell. I hope the kid succeeds.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ok for the next 8 years or so he is gonna be worth the 7,875,000 . Sounds like a wise investment in a player who has not scored more than 41 points in his short career. Killing it this year at 27 points thus far. Now that is worth 880,000, :laugh:

and he hasn’t even started that contract yet and he’s been scoring at a ~60 points pace in his first two years in the league.

Would make sense if he was a Leafs fan..

… Is he?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Oilers lost Keith 2-4 wks and Kassian 4-6 wks. The need help if thet are to make the playoffs.
So Chairot may get that 1st
And that is exactly what he's getting paid for the season. 880.000. 880.000 for a 50 pt clip on this team. That's a steal. :nod:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Hey I get it your a Suzuki fan and your happy with the investment. So be it. I have no issues with Montreal. I know though if some other team signed a 3rd year player for that money you guys would be all over it. I guess time will tell. I hope the kid succeeds.

In other words you just wanted to troll without anyone calling out your Swiss cheese logic?

Jan 21, 2018
Looks like Montreal mismanaged yet another asset, Chiarot’s value takes a significant hit due to injury.

Habs fans told us all season chiarot will land them a late 1st from a playoff team (the same price they traded their recent 3rd overall pick for).

Looks like nothing has changed even after firing their GM and coach, this organization is still a complete mess.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Looks like Montreal mismanaged yet another asset, Chiarot’s value takes a significant hit due to injury.

Habs fans told us all season chiarot will land them a late 1st from a playoff team (the same price they traded their recent 3rd overall pick for).

Looks like nothing has changed even after firing their GM and coach, this organization is still a complete mess.
That seems a bit rich from a fan of team which traded a 1st + 2x4th for 11 games of Foligno (0 goals) and an elimination in 1st round of PO against a very poorly manages team (and there is no denying this is a very poorly managed team) ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it depends on the market. I think this is lining up to be a buyers market which is bad for Montreal. Last year, a 1st was more likely.

I don't think we know if it's a buyers market or sellers yet. The deadline is still 6 weeks away. One GM is going to make a move in advance which could be a domino effect or GM's stay patient and wait it out.

Some GM's know they are going to make a move and they are just in the dialog process with their targets. The other angle to this is there is still a fair amount of teams that will wait till the deadline week before they know their chances at making the playoffs.

All guess work. You could be wright or it could change with one or two moves and then other GM's follow

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
An IR injury could actually improve his trade value believe it or not. If the injury allows him to be out until the playoffs, a team can take him on at his full salary cap without any need for retention.

This could allow cap strapped teams like Toronto or Tampa Bay to acquire him without the need for a third team.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
An IR injury could actually improve his trade value believe it or not. If the injury allows him to be out until the playoffs, a team can take him on at his full salary cap without any need for retention.

This could allow cap strapped teams like Toronto or Tampa Bay to acquire him without the need for a third team.

How would not needing retention improve his trade value? Teams obviously pay more assets when they require the retention.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
How would not needing retention improve his trade value? Teams obviously pay more assets when they require the retention.
It allows teams to acquire other assets on top of Chariot because Chariot’s cap hit won’t be counted on their salary cap. That’s why.

Reactions: Doc5

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It allows teams to acquire other assets on top of Chariot because Chariot’s cap hit won’t be counted on their salary cap. That’s why.

Okay sounds good for the other teams but that doesn't help Montreal.

Teams will pay more for Chariot at a $1.75 than they would for Chariot at his full $3.5 cap hit. If his injury allows teams to stash him and avoid any retention, that only hurts Montreal. Not to mention the general uncertainty around trading for a guy on the shelf.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Okay sounds good for the other teams but that doesn't help Montreal.

Teams will pay more for Chariot at a $1.75 or ~$1M AAV after double retention than they would for Chariot at his full $3.5 cap hit. If his injury allows teams to stash him and avoid any retention, that only hurts Montreal. Not to mention the general uncertainty around trading for a guy on the shelf.
If I’m Vegas, I would rather pay assets for a guy I can stash on IR than a guy I have to retain to get since they’re so close to the cap.
It doesn’t kill Chariot’s value.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal

Leafs fan telling us our organization is a mess, good one! Win one playoff round, talk after. And btw, you guys paid a 1st for a washed up Nick Foligno.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Leafs fan telling us our organization is a mess, good one! Win one playoff round, talk after. And btw, you guys paid a 1st for a washed up Nick Foligno.
And i still wouldn't trade Chairot to them for a 1st. I'll take a 1st from any other team though.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I didn't realize the trade deadline had come and gone already.

FYI Eric Engles was just interviewed and said the return for Chiarot would be at least a 1st and that 12 teams are interested. Lebrun reported this earlier in the season as well so its more than just Hab fan speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad