Value of: Ben Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• Total voters

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Analysts and insiders: Chiarot will be dealt and easily bring back a 1st round pick

HF: Habs would be lucky to get a mini stick signed by Kyle Chipchura for Chiarot
Analysts are wrong all the time on value speculation, but fair enough.

If the team trading for him agreed to an extension with him first I think he could be worth a first.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Whichever team moves a 1st for him would regret it
Thats the opposite. Chairot is a hard nosed physical defenseman that has very good mobility and very good defending skills. He gets the job done in his own zone, has a nice 1st pass and brings stability on the back end. When the games matters, he is someone you can rely on to win games.

He is definitely worth a 1st as a very solid 2nd pairing shutdown defenseman. Playoffs are a long run and Chairot is built for it.

Reactions: Theodore450

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Can Chiarot play the right side? If not, then I don't get Friedman connecting him to the Leafs one bit.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Thats the opposite. Chairot is a hard nosed physical defenseman that has very good mobility and very good defending skills. He gets the job done in his own zone, has a nice 1st pass and brings stability on the back end. When the games matters, he is someone you can rely on to win games.

He is definitely worth a 1st as a very solid 2nd pairing shutdown defenseman. Playoffs are a long run and Chairot is built for it.

Well, if you think about it, if a team that trades for him wins the cup or makes the finals it's basically a 2nd round pick (being 31st or 32nd) so not that big of a deal.

Reactions: Canadienna

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Well, if you think about it, if a team that trades for him wins the cup or makes the finals it's basically a 2nd round pick (being 31st or 32nd) so not that big of a deal.
You can hit big even at the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd. Mailloux, Peterka, Zellweger, Mavrik Bourque, Ylonen, Romanov ect.

MTL will likely trade Chairot to the team having the less chances to hit the finals. It all depends how many teams are in the race though.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Than i guess that team won't mind giving us a 1st since in your opinion it's not really a 1s but basically a 2nd.

While your at it do you know any team interested in our 2nd. I mean it's basically a 1st.

Reactions: jellybeans

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Than i guess that team won't mind giving us a 1st since in your opinion it's not really a 1s but basically a 2nd.

While your at it do you know any team interested in our 2nd. I mean it's basically a 1st.

Hey man, it's just different perspectives. That's all. I don't like the price tag, but then again 1st round picks are over valued by fans especially when they are very late 1st round picks. I am just trying to rationalize it from a SC contender point of view that a 1st round pick is not THAT expensive. A team that may not be as confident in their chances may not give up a 1st round pick for a Chiarot.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Whichever team moves a 1st for him would regret it

I disagree. While Chiarot has been bad this year, he's been good every year prior and fantastic in both playoff runs. He's basically being asked to do far too much on a garbage Habs team. For perspective sake, he's currently 31st league wide in minute played. Montreal is essentially deploying him as a top pairing defensemen which is FAR above his skill set. Is it really shocking he's floundering in that role?

Give him a reduced role on your second pairing as a pure shutdown defenseman and he'll be fine.

Reactions: Mike Dukarm

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
Absolutely not, that's the complete opposite of what Montreal needs to do.
Montreal need to keep one or two veteran def to have a mix with the future young core. Petry seem he want to be out of Montreal, Weber is retired, It rest Edmundson and he don't play a game this year. Savard and Chariot for me Chariot bring more to the team than Savard. That's why they need to keep him .

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Montreal need to keep one or two veteran def to have a mix with the future young core. Petry seem he want to be out of Montreal, Weber is retired, It rest Edmundson and he don't play a game this year. Savard and Chariot for me Chariot bring more to the team than Savard. That's why they need to keep him .
Go post that in the habs board and see what kind of response you get.:popcorn:

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Chiarot is good as gone, sorry to bring it up to you. Savard will probably stay with that contract.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Chiarot will fetch a first round pick but Klingberg won't, you guys will see. It'll be like Foligno and Hall last year. GM's see Chiarot as a defensively responsible, playoff warrior, who's "tough to play against".

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I disagree. While Chiarot has been bad this year, he's been good every year prior and fantastic in both playoff runs. He's basically being asked to do far too much on a garbage Habs team. For perspective sake, he's currently 31st league wide in minute played. Montreal is essentially deploying him as a top pairing defensemen which is FAR above his skill set. Is it really shocking he's floundering in that role?

Give him a reduced role on your second pairing as a pure shutdown defenseman and he'll be fine.

You aren't necessarily wrong, but when I watch him, I don't see a guy trying his best and getting crushed, I see a player who makes weird decisions while unpressured, gets caught out of position, and coasts a lot.

Plus, isn't the point of a shutdown defenseman that he can face top opponents and keep them off the scoreboard?

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
You aren't necessarily wrong, but when I watch him, I don't see a guy trying his best and getting crushed, I see a player who makes weird decisions while unpressured, gets caught out of position, and coasts a lot.

Plus, isn't the point of a shutdown defenseman that he can face top opponents and keep them off the scoreboard?
Yea exactly, ask Mathews how was his experience last year in the playoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad