Value of: Ben Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• Total voters

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Coming off the playoffs last year I would have said yes, but he has not been playing well recently. I think it's fair to wonder if his recent play has hurt his value a bit, but who knows? Teams get desperate at the TDL...

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Supply and demand varies too much year to year to compare players straight across like that. Savard was the only defenseman to be dealt for a pick higher than a 3rd last year. It’s a much deeper pool in 2022.
unfortunately this is very true .

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
It’s hilarious our people here solely evaluate Chiariot’s value based on playing on the worst team in the league, and forgetting about his performance in the playoffs last year.

He certainly has flaws, but for a team looking for a rock solid defence first player who can play 20-25 minutes a night and anchor a PK, there’s not many better options available at the trade deadline.

Exactly, teams are not paying a first for Chiarot play during the season, they will pay a first because in playoffs he is a beast, can play 20 min clear the crease and give huge bodycheck while being reliable defensively. The team that will got him at the deadline will love having him in their lineup for their playoff run. I wish we could sign him to a 3x3.5 deal again but in our situation a 1st is the best

Reactions: Suave

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
He will return a first. Teams get desperate around the deadline. Whoever loses out on Chychrun, will likely be interested.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Teams get stupid at the deadline, and injuries could make them desperate. I could see a late 1st being possible.
Teams get stupid, so it means Miller has to demand more than a 1st plus a good proapect if Chairot is getting a 1st because Miller is 10X the player Chairot is.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Probably not. But you never know. Deadline day can get expensive, and especially for "that type" of rugged, physical "playoff warrior" sort of player. They are awfully handy to have. As a bottom-pair defenceman, who can step up and play a simple, physical game in a complementary Top-4 role as injuries inevitably pile up over the course of a playoff run.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If Savard can get a first and fourth then Chariot should get a first and 2nd

Is that really a relevant basis for comparison? How many teams will be in the market that also have firsts? Also consider, that any of Giroux, Hertl, Pavelski, Chychrun, Miller, and Crouse might be available and getting firsts. Plus someone mentioned other D options such as Manson.

Also, if Tampa is the only franchise willing to pay that for players like this, does that mean other franchises are as well?

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
The media is hyping it up so they make it so Montreal gets what they desire for Chiarot.

Wish backroom deals were illegal.

Right, the media has a gun to the heads of NHL GMs'.......

I'll believe it when I see it if Chairot brings a 1st. Likely 2nd + 3rd IMO unless he has a real solid next 2 months.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Too many rentals out there but I wouldnt be surprised if someone gets desperate and maybe gives habs a conditional 1st

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
J Brisebois started a trend of paying (low) 1st Rd picks to get tailor made players for playoffs.
His goal was to complement an already talented team with grit and character that was lacking.

He has two rings doing so.

NHL is a copycat league.
Toronto did the same last year paying a 1st for Foligno.

Chiarot is a playoff defenseman, he proved it in the last two Habs playoff appearances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rozz and Hins77

DC Comics

Dec 30, 2019
Not all 1st pick are equals. Chariot worth a bottom 1st round pick from one of the top team in the league (ex: Florida) but not worth a 1st from a bubble playoff team (ex: Edmonton). Like Savard last year. Value of lower tiers of 1st round draft is basically equivalent to a 2nd.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Some GM out there could sacrifice a 1st for him, but for some reason I feel like they won’t have to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad