Value of: Ben Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The majority of those players are significant offensive and puck-moving contributors, which is where those giveaways come from. When shutdown defenders are giving away the puck at the same rate, it's not a good thing.

It's one area of the game and I think you are overlooking how the Habs are not a puck moving team where we are pinned in our own end time and time again (even in last year's playoffs). They basically had a strategy of keeping things to the outside with Price backing them up.

What about Brodie? I personally don't see others willing to debate in good faith. A lot of blind eyes going on right now... You should take your sun glasses off. You miss Brodie who is not an offensive type

Chiarot's ice time is very high too. It exposes him in areas like this but look at the other post where I compared numbers to MacDonagh. There are very close in many areas

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You are assuming things. My price tag has been two 2nd's well before the media brought up the 1st narrative. And the word "Could" has a meaning. It's not impossible he gets a late 1st but is it probable? I don't know... I'm not the one speaking to actual NHL managers.

Those of you are focused on Habs fans should turn your focus on reports who have actually spoken to NHL teams. Habs fans are not the ones who brought up the 1st narrative. We are only listening to respected reporters who brought this forward after talking to several teams.

Probably a fluid situation for a while yet

Why would a GM from another team tell reporters that Chiarot is worth a 1st? That might be tampering but there's also no incentive from the standpoint of driving up the price. If reporters are saying that, it's likely coming from Montreal - not several teams.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would a GM from another team tell reporters that Chiarot is worth a 1st? That might be tampering but there's also no incentive from the standpoint of driving up the price. If reporters are saying that, it's likely coming from Montreal - not several teams.

Don't spin it. "Could be worth a 1st". Take more time to comprehend better before you get stuck into the noise of throwing jabs

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Fair but you are assuming all those guys are available and equal. I would have Giordano and Chiarot as guys I would be targeting (physical types who can provide trust/maturity in their own end).

Why are people getting caught into a knot about "Could return a 1st". I don't think most Habs fans started the 1st narrative, it was the media who is actually talking to NHL teams. So there is that too. It's not something brought out of thin air

If a team want for a big physical dman who can be trust, they have lindholm, manson, chiarot or de haan as option... with other option who can be really good too like Ristolainen ( in the right spot) or a player like braun...

If they want an offensive dman they will look for klinberg miller

If they want a player who can play different kind of situation, a guy like lindholm, giordano will be main target

If a team want leadershil, giordano, manson are very good candidate.

Yep some team will want a specific type of player like some team will just look how they can upgrade their as much as they can...but in fact more you will have different option and less you gonna be desesperate to overpay to upgrade your team

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
It's one area of the game and I think you are overlooking how the Habs are not a puck moving team where we are pinned in our own end time and time again (even in last year's playoffs). They basically had a strategy of keeping things to the outside with Price backing them up.

What about Brodie? I personally don't see others willing to debate in good faith. A lot of blind eyes going on right now... You should take your sun glasses off. You miss Brodie who is not an offensive type

Chiarot's ice time is very high too. It exposes him in areas like this but look at the other post where I compared numbers to MacDonagh. There are very close in many areas

I straight up don't understand what you're trying say. What about Brodie? Yea, what about him? What does he have to do with Chiarot's performance? Cherry-picking a small number of individuals who are perceived by some to be better than Chiarot and showing some similar advanced stats in limited samples is not an argument.

Brixton

Jul 16, 2021
Let me give you some context and you can try the same back... I think if you ask the Pens, Leafs, Jets, and Knights, they probably tell you he was very annoying to play against in the trenches. Usage matters and you get very close value to what McDonagh brings for Tampa.

I did this quickly (let me know if there are errors) so debate in good faith and provide your context on why you think he is an awful defender. Do you think his giveaways/60 are red flags and it has nothing to do with the Habs exposing our D where they are pinned in our own end time and time again? I got a hunch you ignore everything else and focus on one area

McDonagh
Regular Season:
* 23 min a game
* 66.7% of D zone starts
* 43.8 Corsi
* 3.39 Hits/60
* 4.58 Blocks/60
* 0.73 Giveaways/60
* 0.67 Takeaways/60

Playoffs:
* 23 min a game
* 60.8% of D zone starts
* 41.4% Corsi
* 6.05 Hits/60
* 5.25 Blocks/60
* 2.39 Giveaways/60
* 1.37 Takeaways/60

Chiarot:
Regular Season:
* 23 min a game
* 65.7% of D zone starts
* 42.1 Corsi
* 5.56 Hits/60
* 4.39 Blocks/60
* 2.57 Giveaways/60
* 0.81 Takeaways/60

Playoffs:
* 25 min a game
* 66.4% of D zone starts
* 41.7 Corsi
* 9.5 Hits/60
* 5.18 Blocks/60
* 4.10 Giveaways/60
* 0.75 Takeaways/60
Was McDonagh paired with Tampas best dman (Hedman) because he needed someone to cover all his mistake?… cause that is what Chiarot has been over his career, He played with Buff in Winnipeg cause he could cover for anyone the coach put him with. Buff would tell him go stand there and don’t do anything stupid, I will do your job. Same as Weber in Mtl. Do you really thing Chiarot should have been playing big minutes in Winnipeg, ahead of trouba, morrisey, Myers,kulikov? No way. They put Chiarot with the guy that could protect him. Same in Mtl. Just go back and look at his numbers playing with guys that couldn’t protect Chiarot. They are terrible.

Hell look at his numbers this year. No Weber…teams feast on him. Penguins score 7 on the Canadians a couple months ago Chiarot on the ice for 6 of those goals. Edmonton game a couple weeks ago…Chiarot on for 6 of thr 7 goals against.

it’s no wonder that the players laughed and teased Chiarot when signed in Montreal, that he should be giving half his pay check to Buff, cause without him Chiarot would be making league minimum.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Buff would tell him go stand there and don’t do anything stupid, I will do your job.

This post is insane. You are literally writing some kind of bizarre fan fiction. I'm only including this one "quote" because it's truly mystifying that you have simply decided how things went, and then have gone the next step to present some kind of absurd dialogue exchange that you are just conjuring up to support the silly scenario you are offering up as if that somehow acts as the proof that what you are saying is accurate.

This is a deeply weird post.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Amazed 57% don’t think he’ll bring a first rounder. 12 teams are interested.
That doesn't mean 12 teams are willing to trade a 1st. Also, realistically only so many will be trading firsts in general. So there are a finite number of firsts with a lot of players seemingly available.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
That doesn't mean 12 teams are willing to trade a 1st. Also, realistically only so many will be trading firsts in general. So there are a finite number of firsts with a lot of players seemingly available.

That’s the case every year. Bit of a non-statement isn’t it?

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
The guy just went to Cup Finals playing a top 4 role. I think atleast 1 GM is willing to give up a 1st for him.

Reactions: abo9

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Isn’t the point of my post that 12 is more than 2 or 3 teams? Your statement doesn’t even make a counterpoint.

I thought you were calling out your own comment as inane. I agree with that. 12 teams showing interest means how many teams are willing to trade a first? You don't even have a basis to extrapolate.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I thought you were calling out your own comment as inane. I agree with that. 12 teams showing interest means how many teams are willing to trade a first? You don't even have a basis to extrapolate.

2 teams showing interest means how many teams are willing to trade a first?

I’m just using your logic here.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Can he bring a 1st? Maybe. I don’t have a crystal ball…..

Having said that, there seems to be a lot of defense available this year. Last year, Savard was the crown jewel of D at the deadline. How many other D returned 1st rounders?

Some teams do overpay at the deadline. So,I voted yes.

I don’t see the Blues doing it. But again, I am not a psychic.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Brixton

Jul 16, 2021
Can you back your quote or is this just a fabrication?
This is a commonly known story that has been going around Winnipeg since Chiarot signed in Montreal. I think it was from a clip from a speech from when one of the Jets (Mark Stuart maybe) got marrried.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The guy just went to Cup Finals playing a top 4 role. I think atleast 1 GM is willing to give up a 1st for him.

thats my thinking. GM's pay through the roof for that type of old school d-man.

and as weird as it sounds, old school dmen might be more in demand. Top teams already have their guys for the PP. they need solid depth though and in case of injuries, you cant have too many NHL dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad