Value of: Ben Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chiarot can bring a 1st pick?

• Total voters

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Blues need LHD that can play with Parayko against tough competition. Ideally a player who was combination of what Chiarot and Leddy or gio bring, but those guys don’t grow on trees. We had hoped Scandella could more or less handle but he has struggled with turnovers when under pressure. Mikkola has done better but he’s not great on outlet either (he’s not really top pairing guy). We lean heavily on Parayko, Faulk, and Krug and could really use 4th guy that can play tough minutes. JayBo was smart and steady, didn’t lose many battles cleanly, and got puck out with possession and that is what we are missing.
Chiarot was really good with Weber, maybe that's why St-Louis keep on popping in the Chiarot rumors, Chiarot-Parayko would be a hard pairing to play againts. I still see Florida and Toronto as the front runner. You can spend a 1st on a ufa when you have a team like Florida (tampa last year). And i really think this is the last chance for Dubas in Toronto this year, he needs to win a couple rounds at least. I know fans don't want to trade their first for a rental, but they don't have a job on the line. So that's why theses two are my guesses. For Chiarot, I hope he goes to a better team than Toronto though.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's like the 5th insider to say so, kinda bold for people to always says we are not getting a 1st for Chiarot...was really good in the playoff last year on the top pairing, GMs took note.
Armchair GM's on HF have been known for getting it wrong ( Tyler Toffolli ) so let's just see what Ben brings the habs, there are always GM's willing to overpay because it suits their intentions.
The narrative on this board, if you dislike the team, you play the, there is no way this guy can land you a first round pick, and so on.....comical.
Supply/Demand is rarely understood.

Reactions: TomKosto

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Supply/Demand is rarely understood.
If you bring up Supply/Demand then Chiarot should not return a first round pick considering the surplus of availble Left-Handed D is much greater then the comparable rentals who received first round picks. The demand may be high for someone like Chiarot, but there's no need to create a bidding war if you can settle for a guy like Leddy at a much cheaper price.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
With what I've been seeing in the media, Chiarot may already be traded and the team getting him is just waiting for him to be healthy. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason Chiarot was taken off the lineup; to deal with whatever injuries he was playing with.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
If you bring up Supply/Demand then Chiarot should not return a first round pick considering the surplus of availble Left-Handed D is much greater then the comparable rentals who received first round picks. The demand may be high for someone like Chiarot, but there's no need to create a bidding war if you can settle for a guy like Leddy at a much cheaper price.
Not to mention the toffoli comparable is terrible. Toffoli is a legit second line forward who had already played for sutter, and is on a multi year good contract. Chiarot is a 4-6 d man on a good team and a pending ufa. Not even close to the same

Reactions: Sota Popinski

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The best way to get a 1st pick is by trading chiarot right now and giving an opportunity of an additionnal month to get some kind of chemistry for playoff.

If they wait too long, with anaheim and dallas could fall into seller mode, that can really affect chiarot value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends on what type of D you are looking for. Physical type, Puck Mover, PP QB. If you are looking for a physical/mature guy to provide D more than offense, Chiarot and Giordano fit. Leddy does not fit in that type of narrative.

Tampa paid a 1st for Savard for a reason and it was not about offense. Not saying Chiarot gets a 1st but it's a possibility. This is basically what most are saying and some will say, it's impossible or not happening. Spinning in circles on the nit picking.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The best way to get a 1st pick is by trading chiarot right now and giving an opportunity of an additionnal month to get some kind of chemistry for playoff.

If they wait too long, with anaheim and dallas could fall into seller mode, that can really affect chiarot value.

Personally, I think some teams want to know their playoff faith more and they won't make the move now. It's like 5 more weeks till deadline and some teams don't even know if they will make it while some have higher probability. I can see those teams possibly making moves but they are not going to get aggressive or desperate yet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not to mention the toffoli comparable is terrible. Toffoli is a legit second line forward who had already played for sutter, and is on a multi year good contract. Chiarot is a 4-6 d man on a good team and a pending ufa. Not even close to the same

Chiarot is a very solid #4 guy. He's no longer a bottom pairing guy but if he plays there, that means the team he is on is deep and a very good defensive team.

People can try to pessimistic or ignore all they want. Chiarot brings physicality and he raises his game in the playoffs. He don't provide too much offense but this guy can skate for a big man and he will drive you nuts in front of the net and along the walls in the playoffs. He's a physical beast that skates very well. Those trusted/mature types are not readily available.

The Habs didn't go on that run solely based on Price. That top 4D of Weber, Petry, Eddy, and Chiarot were very tough to pernitrate. Chiarot was a big factor in playoff series wins against the Pens, Leafs, Jets, and Knights. That is not to be taken lightly

No idea what he returns (1st or two 2nd's or something else) but whoever gets him, is getting a edge on the back end for the playoffs in terms of protecting their goalie and playing sound D. Reality

Reactions: CDN24

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Chiarot is a very solid #4 guy. He's no longer a bottom pairing guy but if he plays there, that means the team he is on is deep and a very good defensive team.

People can try to pessimistic or ignore all they want. Chiarot brings physicality and he raises his game in the playoffs. He don't provide too much offense but this guy can skate for a big man and he will drive you nuts in front of the net and along the walls in the playoffs. He's a physical beast that skates very well. Those trusted/mature types are not readily available.

The Habs didn't go on that run solely based on Price. That top 4D of Weber, Petry, Eddy, and Chiarot were very tough to pernitrate. Chiarot was a big factor in playoff series wins against the Pens, Leafs, Jets, and Knights. That is not to be taken lightly

No idea what he returns (1st or two 2nd's or something else) but whoever gets him, is getting a edge on the back end for the playoffs in terms of protecting their goalie and playing sound D. Reality
I literally just said he’s a 4 guy. Just because you dress up what he’s good at doesn’t change that he’s still a #4 at best.

I don’t think he’s a bad player. Quite the opposite I’d take him any day of the week, he’s an a hole to play against and you need those players. Just not for a first round pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I literally just said he’s a 4 guy. Just because you dress up what he’s good at doesn’t change that he’s still a #4 at best.

I don’t think he’s a bad player. Quite the opposite I’d take him any day of the week, he’s an a hole to play against and you need those players. Just not for a first round pick.

False! You literally said 4-6 guy. Today he is a legit top 4D and depends on what kind of partner you want to pair him with. With the Jets, he was a 4-6 guy but Chiarot has improved his game since then.

It's the same as the other thread... someone trying to say Anderson is a 3rd liner when he is a middle 6F. People who try to separate 2nd liners vs 3rd liners when they are moveable parts in many cases are out to lunch trying to devalue.

Chiarot is a good #4 guy. 4-6 is devalue narrative

The90

Feb 27, 2017
False! You literally said 4-6 guy. Today he is a legit top 4D and depends on what kind of partner you want to pair him with. With the Jets, he was a 4-6 guy but Chiarot has improved his game since then.

It's the same as the other thread... someone trying to say Anderson is a 3rd liner when he is a middle 6F. People who try to separate 2nd liners vs 3rd liners when they are moveable parts in many cases are out to lunch trying to devalue.

Chiarot is a good #4 guy. 4-6 is devalue narrative
4-6 is accurate. And literally slots in exactly as I said it did. Like I said, you dressing up how good you want him to be doesn’t change that. He’s not worth a first round pick.

so I’m not allowed to say he’s a second or third pairing guy, only that he’s a second pairing guy. But you’re allowed to dismiss both and move Anderson and chiarot up on second pairing and second lines. And somehow that’s my fault you can’t see the bias there. Nice.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
4-6 is accurate. And literally slots in exactly as I said it did. Like I said, you dressing up how good you want him to be doesn’t change that. He’s not worth a first round pick.
and yet you've been all over this thread saying it won't happen and we have, Seravalli, Lebrun, Johnston, Friedman and all the other insiders saying he's getting a first.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Personally, I think some teams want to know their playoff faith more and they won't make the move now. It's like 5 more weeks till deadline and some teams don't even know if they will make it while some have higher probability. I can see those teams possibly making moves but they are not going to get aggressive or desperate yet

Every team in east are set in the west 4 team are set . With like 12 team already set, yes buyer market is open

The90

Feb 27, 2017
and yet you've been all over this thread saying it won't happen and we have, Seravalli, Lebrun, Johnston, Friedman and all the other insiders saying he's getting a first.
Saying that’s the price they’re asking for. Yes. That’s what they’ve been saying. Guaranteed if someone pony’s up a first, he’s traded that day. Same as Dvorak. As soon as the first was on the table he’s traded. It’s a buyers market for left d men. He’s not a right shot like Savard.

QCNords

Oct 19, 2017
Any team who's gearing up for playoff war will pay a first and prospect for Chariot, and they wont regret it. Chariot his build for playoff hockey, great teammate, coach's love him.
Teams like Florida or Carolina would be scary with Chariot in the mix.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) Tweeted:
Keep an eye on the Rangers and the Habs between now and March 21. I think Montreal covets some Rangers prospects. Habs could fill some Rangers needs. Montreal would rather add prospects over picks. Already have 12 picks for the July draft. Rangers' pipeline drawing Habs interest

Ben Chiarot come on down, for a prospect.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Chiarot returning a 1st could happen if a bidding war for him happens, but with the other D available at the TDL, I don’t see a bidding war happening.
If the Habs get a 1st for him, they should do their happy dance and call it a win because he’s not worth a 1st

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
He was the most physical dman last playoffs. I've watched all their games and he's one of the reason some talented forwards couldn't produce much (ie: Marner here).

Him and Edmundson had an amazing run. They were true playoffs warriors

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
His comparable trade should be Brendan Dillon going from San Jose to Washington (a 2nd and 3rd). Dillon was a similar 2nd pair/complimentary physical defenseman on an expiring deal.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
His comparable trade should be Brendan Dillon going from San Jose to Washington (a 2nd and 3rd). Dillon was a similar 2nd pair/complimentary physical defenseman on an expiring deal.
Exactly, Dillon is a good comparable, but Chariot is ufa and Dillon had term but a 2nd and a 3rd is good for Chariot and Bruins need that guy at least that kind of guy...

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Contract status and the year to year differences in the market make things potentially different.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Exactly, Dillon is a good comparable, but Chariot is ufa and Dillon had term but a 2nd and a 3rd is good for Chariot and Bruins need that guy at least that kind of guy...
Dillon was also a UFA when traded to Washington. He had term when Washington later traded him to Winnipeg.
Contract status and the year to year differences in the market make things potentially different.
Their contract status, and age at the time of the trades would be the exact same. It's only been 2 years.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Negotiation in public. Habs want premium value, preferably now. That reads as teams not offering that at this time. It begs the question of who’s actually leaking the 1st round pick narrative to the media in the first place?

Reactions: rumrokh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad